or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Car ? - Page 2

post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellracing View Post

Ahh
I'll hold my hands up there, I was talking about the E90 3 series. Still, for economy and still being pretty quick, a diesel gets the job done!

Yeah but in order to be truly quick, I suggest you throw the fuel efficiency idea right out of the window and step on it lol~Your friend is definitely not thinking about that when he modded his EVO to 400 hp. I ran a full tank (19 us gal) of 93 octane roughly to the bottom in a 25 min track session. So yeah, try not to think about that at all...and for fuel efficiency, I accelerate slower than a turtle and make a semi driver wants to overtake me then yeah, I get really good fuel efficiency with the same car. 

post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserPower View Post

Yeah but in order to be truly quick, I suggest you throw the fuel efficiency idea right out of the window and step on it lol~Your friend is definitely not thinking about that when he modded his EVO to 400 hp. I ran a full tank (19 us gal) of 93 octane roughly to the bottom in a 25 min track session. So yeah, try not to think about that at all...and for fuel efficiency, I accelerate slower than a turtle and make a semi driver wants to overtake me then yeah, I get really good fuel efficiency with the same car. 

Haha the mini is 35mpg when I'm being good...but when full throttle 8mpg is about it! I just mean you can't use the car as a daily driver when I'm covering 120 miles a day, it would bankrupt me! Haha and yes, sometimes you just have the approach of 'screw it, I'm gonna have fun!' to fuel efficiency!
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellracing View Post

Haha the mini is 35mpg when I'm being good...but when full throttle 8mpg is about it! I just mean you can't use the car as a daily driver when I'm covering 120 miles a day, it would bankrupt me! Haha and yes, sometimes you just have the approach of 'screw it, I'm gonna have fun!' to fuel efficiency!

In that case you may want to move...I had my share of 2 hours per day on the road was definitely pain in the ass. Felt like a huge chunk of my day was wasted...
post #34 of 49
Univ
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserPower View Post

In that case you may want to move...I had my share of 2 hours per day on the road was definitely pain in the ass. Felt like a huge chunk of my day was wasted...

Yup, for the moment (university student) living at home, moving into the city isn't really financially attractive, I wouldn't have my workshop and toys (dirtbikes and hunting) if I lived in the city, and I make a lot of my 'fun' money from body repair, fixing up damaged cars and then selling them on. Or sometimes keeping them:) I don't mind the driving! Get into cruise mode and I'm fine.
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellracing View Post

Univ
Yup, for the moment (university student) living at home, moving into the city isn't really financially attractive, I wouldn't have my workshop and toys (dirtbikes and hunting) if I lived in the city, and I make a lot of my 'fun' money from body repair, fixing up damaged cars and then selling them on. Or sometimes keeping them:) I don't mind the driving! Get into cruise mode and I'm fine.

I see. Those are indeed hard to give up lol~
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellracing View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserPower View Post

Yeah but in order to be truly quick, I suggest you throw the fuel efficiency idea right out of the window and step on it lol~Your friend is definitely not thinking about that when he modded his EVO to 400 hp. I ran a full tank (19 us gal) of 93 octane roughly to the bottom in a 25 min track session. So yeah, try not to think about that at all...and for fuel efficiency, I accelerate slower than a turtle and make a semi driver wants to overtake me then yeah, I get really good fuel efficiency with the same car. 

Haha the mini is 35mpg when I'm being good...but when full throttle 8mpg is about it! I just mean you can't use the car as a daily driver when I'm covering 120 miles a day, it would bankrupt me! Haha and yes, sometimes you just have the approach of 'screw it, I'm gonna have fun!' to fuel efficiency!


Ha ha, so true.  Horsepower by definition is the rate of use of energy per unit time.   The more you use, the faster the gas disappears.  I used to get worse mileage with my well tuned 750 Honda Interceptor than with my car.  It had something to do with a need to red-line the tach in every gear that was triggered by any use of the shifter.

 

(edit:) It was still better than the 4 mpg (Imperial gallons = 4.54609 L) my brother got on his built '72 Camaro.


Edited by Ghost - 11/9/13 at 7:07am
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post


Ha ha, so true.  Horsepower by definition is the rate of use of energy per unit time.   The more you use, the faster the gas disappears.  I used to get worse mileage with my well tuned 750 Honda Interceptor than with my car.  It had something to do with a need to red-line the tach in every gear that was triggered by any use of the shifter.

(edit:) It was still better than the 4 mpg (Imperial gallons = 4.54609 L) my brother got on his built '72 Camaro.

You don't ever get a free lunch, and rarely do you get horsepower without fuel usage!
post #38 of 49

I had a Murano with the CVT / AWD and it was like driving with a slipper clutch.  It was smooth and you just had to get used to the engine revving higher than your acceleration rate.  Where it was weird is on snow it gave the impression of losing traction, but with traction control and AWD it was actually pretty hard to spin the wheels.  The car definitely handled well in some dicey situations.

post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post

I had a Murano with the CVT / AWD and it was like driving with a slipper clutch.  It was smooth and you just had to get used to the engine revving higher than your acceleration rate.  Where it was weird is on snow it gave the impression of losing traction, but with traction control and AWD it was actually pretty hard to spin the wheels.  The car definitely handled well in some dicey situations.

Sorry for me taking the thread completely off topic!
post #40 of 49

:)  It only took a half page.

post #41 of 49

I've had many CVT's as rentals, primarily Maxima's (and some Honda's), and always say as soon as I punch the gas - "God I hate these things". Funniest is the "sport mode" with gears" on a CVT. Oh well.

post #42 of 49

Just out of curiosity, what automatic transmissions do you like when it comes to punching?  My experience has been that the CVT I've been using has more than ample punch when I need it (freeway merging, bank heist getaways, etc.).  I never use the sport/manual mode option during normal driving, although it is handy for extended, speed restricted downhills, so tend to agree with you there.

post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Lutes View Post
 

Just out of curiosity, what automatic transmissions do you like when it comes to punching?  My experience has been that the CVT I've been using has more than ample punch when I need it (freeway merging, bank heist getaways, etc.).  I never use the sport/manual mode option during normal driving, although it is handy for extended, speed restricted downhills, so tend to agree with you there.

 

That a good question I never thought about.

 

How well does a CVT do on the down hill, I am thinking I-80 with snow on it from castle peak into Truckee

 

Where I want compression breaking for speed control 

post #44 of 49

I don't think the CVT is any better or worse at compression braking, since I assume it's the the specific transmission's low gear ratios that are the prime determinant.  It's worked fine for me - the toughest test was this summer, on a dirt 12 mile downhill that was steep, really curvy (lots of hairpins) and a minefield of rocks, but use it routinely on 80, 50, and 88 when conditions warrant.

post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by near nyquist View Post

That a good question I never thought about.

How well does a CVT do on the down hill, I am thinking I-80 with snow on it from castle peak into Truckee

Where I want compression breaking for speed control 
What the heck is compression braking? Engine braking?
post #46 of 49

CVT transmissions can be downshifted to a specific point on their "continuous" gear ratios, so they can hold the car back just as well as any other automatic that is downshifted.

 

Compression breaking is simply having the engine in gear with the fuel cut-off so the engine compression creates drag.  Very few cars today totally free-wheel.  Anyone remember the old Saab manual transmissions with free-wheel?

post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserPower View Post


What the heck is compression braking? Engine braking?

Yeah, maybe I used the wrong term for it

post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
 

CVT transmissions can be downshifted to a specific point on their "continuous" gear ratios, so they can hold the car back just as well as any other automatic that is downshifted.

 

Compression breaking is simply having the engine in gear with the fuel cut-off so the engine compression creates drag.  Very few cars today totally free-wheel.  Anyone remember the old Saab manual transmissions with free-wheel?

Lower gear, foot off gas motor still running

post #49 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
 

CVT transmissions can be downshifted to a specific point on their "continuous" gear ratios, so they can hold the car back just as well as any other automatic that is downshifted.

 

Compression breaking is simply having the engine in gear with the fuel cut-off so the engine compression creates drag.  Very few cars today totally free-wheel.  Anyone remember the old Saab manual transmissions with free-wheel?

This is if specific gear ratios is programed in.

 

Many of the older CVT's do not have this feature.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Automotive/Car Talk