or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Resort Signature Runs - Page 4

post #91 of 110

Wow, really surprised not one eastern skier mentioned the best run we have:

 

Jay Peak--  Beaver Creek/Andre's Paradise  (especially on a pow day... which it usually is at Jay)

post #92 of 110
Gore: The Rumor
post #93 of 110

At Jay peak- The Jet and upper Can-Am

 

At Smuggs- Black Hole

post #94 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souk View Post
 

Wow, really surprised not one eastern skier mentioned the best run we have:

 

Jay Peak--  Beaver Creek/Andre's Paradise  (especially on a pow day... which it usually is at Jay)

Wo, just after posting my comment, I scrolled up and saw this, and I completely agree, Andres, Beaver is awsome

post #95 of 110

Val d'Isere: Vallee Perdue, or Face Olympique

Wengen: Oh God or the Lauberhorn

Gressoney: Pistone Betta

Stuben: Albonagrat

Zurs: Madloch Zug

post #96 of 110

Chipmunk-Wisp

post #97 of 110

Sugar Bowl, CA  - Silver belt gully (site of the Red Bull Banzai!)

post #98 of 110

The Couloir Extreme at Blackcomb

Al's Run at Taos

Great Scott at Bird

Whistler Bowl at Whistler

 

 

Hidden Stash: Eagle's Nest, Whistler

 

Oh, if ya don't know where eagle's nest is, we gotta ski together.

post #99 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiWhistler View Post
 

The Couloir Extreme at Blackcomb

Al's Run at Taos

Great Scott at Bird

Whistler Bowl at Whistler

 

 

Hidden Stash: Eagle's Nest, Whistler

 

Oh, if ya don't know where eagle's nest is, we gotta ski together.

One could argue that Spanky's is the signature "run" at Blackcomb. Wouldn't argue with Extreme though. And at Whistler--Flute.

post #100 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

One could argue that Spanky's is the signature "run" at Blackcomb. Wouldn't argue with Extreme though. And at Whistler--Flute.

 

Spanky's isn't a run, it's an entrance to the gem bowls.  And Flute isn't even part of Whistler per se, it's a "hike to" off of Rhapsody Bowl

 

With the understanding the "signature" doesn't necessarily mean most gnar, I'd think that Whistler thinks the Dave Murry is their signature run.

post #101 of 110

Yeah, I think some of the newer posters are misusing the word "signature".  Signature sort of means the run that is "most typical" of the resort and is what MOST people would think of first at the resort as the run that personifies it.  

 

Quote:
With the understanding the "signature" doesn't necessarily mean most gnar
post #102 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
 

 

Spanky's isn't a run, it's an entrance to the gem bowls.  And Flute isn't even part of Whistler per se, it's a "hike to" off of Rhapsody Bowl

 

With the understanding the "signature" doesn't necessarily mean most gnar, I'd think that Whistler thinks the Dave Murry is their signature run.

You'll notice I put "run" in quotes when I talked about Spanky's. Qualifies as a signature run based on how many people line up waiting for the ropes to drop. Flute is inbounds-yes you have to hike there; why would that disqualify it? Signature because you can get fresh turns there long after everything else is skied and bumped out. It's just wide open, moderately steep pure fun beer commercial skiing. Dave Murry is a long trail cut through the woods, pretty much indistinguishable from other trails in that zone. If you want to pick a signature groomer, Peak to Creek might be a better choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post
 

Yeah, I think some of the newer posters are misusing the word "signature".  Signature sort of means the run that is "most typical" of the resort and is what MOST people would think of first at the resort as the run that personifies it.  

 

Or not. Signature run to me implies a run that is particularly enjoyable and interesting, accessible to a significant number of people, and offering something other runs at the resort don't. Not too short, not too hard, not too easy--interesting enough to appeal to people for whom it is a little too hard and to people for whom it is a little too easy.  I think the term is usually applied to golf courses, where it usually refers to a particularly scenic and interesting hole--one that you remember. There are a lot of signatures on the Declaration of Independence but the only one we remember is John Hancock's--that's a signature signature.

post #103 of 110
Quote:
The term "signature" is also used to mean the characteristics that give an object, or a piece of information, its identity—for example, the shape of a Coca-Cola bottle.

By analogy, the word "signature" may be used to refer to the characteristic expression of a process or thing. For example, the climate phenomenon known as ENSO or El Niño has characteristic modes in different ocean basins which are often referred to as the "signature" of ENSO.
post #104 of 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
 

 Flute is inbounds-yes you have to hike there; why would that disqualify it? Signature because you can get fresh turns there long after everything else is skied and bumped out. It's just wide open, moderately steep pure fun beer commercial skiing. Dave Murry is a long trail cut through the woods, pretty much indistinguishable from other trails in that zone. If you want to pick a signature groomer, Peak to Creek might be a better choice.

 

Right Dave Murray is a long trail cut through the woods. Right.

 

It's also the quintessential downhill run, a la, Dave Murray Downhill run, and taking the whole run at a decent speed, using the actual downhill course, is just a little bit more than a long trail cut through the woods. Just a little.

post #105 of 110

My previous home base, Sugarbush:

 

Rumble

Lift Line

The Mall

Bravo

Black Diamond

 

Current home base, Loveland

 

Wild Child

13,010

Rock Chutes

Over The Rainbow

Cat's Meow

 

All the above mostly listed for GNAR, but also because those runs are what have left a lasting impression. YMMV

post #106 of 110

Final Entry of Mine:

 

Whistler: Peak to Creek

Blackcomb: Couloir Extreme

post #107 of 110

The Cliff, Big WHite, BC. Always a tentative drop in but always a smile when you look back up at the bottom post run:)

post #108 of 110

10969992456_e1a42ec64f_o.jpg

Easter at Kimberley, B.C. Goes from nice easy groomer to a steep run with bumps, and if you've ever been to Kimberley all it has is bumps...

post #109 of 110

Brown shirt and ER7, Lake Louise.  Brown shirt requires taking the summit Poma, but it's worth the Kegel.  ER7 requires a cornice entry but it's usually skidded out by the pros so if visibility is ok follow the track.

 

I suppose most people would say Whitehorn 1 is the signature run (also off Summit Poma) and it's sweet too.  But more traffic and less freshies.

 

Louise could really use to replace that summit Poma with a lift, even a double fixed grip would be better.  That's where much of the awesomeness is.  And if you've ridden that Poma before, you know there are times when you have to pay as much attention going up as you do going down.  The "steep" section right after the traverse can be brutal.  How many lifts have a grab rope on both sides of the track?

post #110 of 110

Well since most the major  resort ones are named, I'm going to go with-

 

Center Stage- Perfect North.

 

Its the steepest run there. Wide with no tree's so everybodies game to try. Usually everybody has skidded any decent snow off of it half way through the day. And your only falling a couple hundred feet worst case scenario. Many people have managed to make it make it down shaky legs, maybe a  little bit of a snow plow and glide their way out or yard sale at the bottom. I challenge any other run in the US against it, for the entertainment factor from the lift on the right day.

 

Its kind of cool to go through the list and see how many signature runs you have hit. I have actually done pretty good minus the east coast ones.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion