or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Big Sky and Bridger for intermediates
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Big Sky and Bridger for intermediates

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

Will be skiing Big Sky and Bridger Bowl Xmas week.

 

Post ACL surgery my wife has become a more timid intermediate skier. With the hope of keeping her skiing more than two days, how should I break up our days of skiing?  She now prefers long intermediate cruisers, though I know she can handle more. Prefers scenery to challenge.  She'll also enjoy a day in a spa as much if not more than a day on the slopes.

 

With that being said, should I have her ski more at BS or BB? We'll be taking off for non skiing activities in both places anyway, but will probably end up skiing more days at BS.

 

Me and my son will have fun at either place, so not too concerned about that.

post #2 of 6
If the scenery is a draw for her skiing, then more at Big Sky. I don't know how timid she is, but the timid terrain at Bridger (yellow area on their map) is pretty timid and I don't think you'd be sharing a lift often. Plus if she tires, there's a drive to her lodging, whereas if you stay at the slopes at Big Sky, it's easy to go take a nap and there's a bit more to do.
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post
 

Will be skiing Big Sky and Bridger Bowl Xmas week.

 

Post ACL surgery my wife has become a more timid intermediate skier. With the hope of keeping her skiing more than two days, how should I break up our days of skiing?  She now prefers long intermediate cruisers, though I know she can handle more. Prefers scenery to challenge.  She'll also enjoy a day in a spa as much if not more than a day on the slopes.

 

With that being said, should I have her ski more at BS or BB? We'll be taking off for non skiing activities in both places anyway, but will probably end up skiing more days at BS.

 

Me and my son will have fun at either place, so not too concerned about that.

Book a private with @RicB or any one of the other Level 3 instructors at Bridger early in the ski vacation.  Scenery is great in either place.

 

My first trip to Bridger and Big Sky was for a Diva Week.  A friend took advantage of the gathering to take her first trip out west.  Opted to go solo since it wasn't  a school holiday week.  She was at best an advanced beginner who was adventurous enough to want to become a better skier as an adult but definitely on the timid side still.  She loved Bridger.  So did a couple intermediate Divas who attended the EpicSki Gathering last season.  Both of these Divas got a lot out of a private lesson at Bridger.

 

I'm a successful coper missing an ACL.  So I can understand how your wife feels about skiing.  Is she willing to do a bit of pre-season trainer directly related to ACL-injury prevention?  In particular, working on improving balance and proprioception, as well as core strength.

 

To answer your original question, for 5 days my recommendation would be to start with Bridger, stay at Big Sky for Day 2, plan Day 3 as a non-skiiing day, then decide where to ski for Days 4-5.  That way you get feel for Bridger and Big Sky early on and can plan the rest of the vacation based on first hand knowledge.  The free Mountain Host tour at Big Sky is a must.  All on groomed blues, but includes lots of info about where the advanced/experts go and how to get there and back, including how to get over and back from Moonlight Basin.  I think your wife may like Moonlight more than Adesite.  Views are better off Lone Peak.

post #4 of 6

Agree ^^^,   Went to Big Sky last year.  Much more of a "resort" feel, which it sounds like would be best for your wife.   We were there during a FRIGID streak, and it was still pretty civilized and manageable.  Lots of services right at the base, so someone could sit out for awhile or even a full day and feel pretty satisfied/occupied.  Great groomers for my wife as well as steeper untracked stuff if that's what you want.

post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Book a private with @RicB or any one of the other Level 3 instructors at Bridger early in the ski vacation.  Scenery is great in either place.

 

My first trip to Bridger and Big Sky was for a Diva Week.  A friend took advantage of the gathering to take her first trip out west.  Opted to go solo since it wasn't  a school holiday week.  She was at best an advanced beginner who was adventurous enough to want to become a better skier as an adult but definitely on the timid side still.  She loved Bridger.  So did a couple intermediate Divas who attended the EpicSki Gathering last season.  Both of these Divas got a lot out of a private lesson at Bridger.

 

I'm a successful coper missing an ACL.  So I can understand how your wife feels about skiing.  Is she willing to do a bit of pre-season trainer directly related to ACL-injury prevention?  In particular, working on improving balance and proprioception, as well as core strength.

 

To answer your original question, for 5 days my recommendation would be to start with Bridger, stay at Big Sky for Day 2, plan Day 3 as a non-skiiing day, then decide where to ski for Days 4-5.  That way you get feel for Bridger and Big Sky early on and can plan the rest of the vacation based on first hand knowledge.  The free Mountain Host tour at Big Sky is a must.  All on groomed blues, but includes lots of info about where the advanced/experts go and how to get there and back, including how to get over and back from Moonlight Basin.  I think your wife may like Moonlight more than Adesite.  Views are better off Lone Peak.

 

Thanks for the tips, but already booked Big Sky first, Bridger later in the trip. Mostly because we are going Xmas week and could stay slope side till the 26th way cheaper than after that. Bozeman was cheap either end of the trip and hopefully won't be super crowded on the few days after the holiday.

 

She has done fine at places like Steamboat, PCMR & Deer Valley on their blue trails post surgery. Her Dr. says she's been good to go for several seasons now. Any reservations are in her head, not her knee.  But you know the saying, "happy wife-happy life."  So I at least gotta try. Otherwise we'd be heading to Jackson.

post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherPlayThanWork View Post
 

Thanks for the tips, but already booked Big Sky first, Bridger later in the trip. Mostly because we are going Xmas week and could stay slope side till the 26th way cheaper than after that. Bozeman was cheap either end of the trip and hopefully won't be super crowded on the few days after the holiday.

 

She has done fine at places like Steamboat, PCMR & Deer Valley on their blue trails post surgery. Her Dr. says she's been good to go for several seasons now. Any reservations are in her head, not her knee.  But you know the saying, "happy wife-happy life."  So I at least gotta try. Otherwise we'd be heading to Jackson.

Makes sense to me.  I wasn't thinking about the Xmas factor.  Plan on getting to Bridger early in the morning, as in by 8:30am.  The parking lots have a shuttle school bus but it's much easier to be in the first first rows (A-C).

 

The Mountain Host tour the first day at Big Sky will answer a lot of questions.  Usually cover Andesite first, then up the main high speed quad that leads towards the base of the tram.  There are easy blue groomers to and from the tram.  That's so intermediates can ride up the tram without their skis for the view and then ride down.  If there is a "dark blue" tour group, then there is time to go all the way over to the lift that is shared between Big Sky and Moonlight.  Learning how to ski back is helpful.  The free shuttle bus between the bases didn't run that often, but that could change with the merger.

 

If she's available, @Little Bear at Big Sky is a great instructor for timid women who have more skills than they are willing to use.

 

Still say a lesson at Bridger is worthwhile.  My adv beginner friend went to Bridger on the weekend after a week at Big Sky (skied 4 out of 6 days).  She did a 90-min the first day.  Liked the place and the lesson so much she booked a 3-hour lesson the next day, her last ski day.  When I skied with her that afternoon, she was very happy and much more relaxed than at the beginning of her ski week.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Big Sky and Bridger for intermediates