All comes down to price now, they'll all be fun.
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAltatagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemArapahoe Basintagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemAspen Mountaintagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemBeaver Creek Resorttagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemBig Skytagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemBreckenridge Ski Resorttagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemCanyons Resorttagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemCrystal Mountaintagged by anachronism, 1/29/14
- itemDeer Valley Resorttagged by anachronism, 1/29/14
- itemJay Peaktagged by anachronism, 1/29/14More
- itemKeystone Resorttagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- brandLe Massif Du Sudtagged by anachronism, 1/29/14
- itemLoveland Ski Areatagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemMammothtagged by anachronism, 1/29/14
- itemMonarch Mountaintagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemMont Sainte Annetagged by anachronism, 1/29/14
- itemMt. Bachelortagged by anachronism, 1/29/14
- brandMt Hoodtagged by anachronism, 1/29/14
- itemNorthstar-at-Tahoetagged by anachronism, 1/29/14
- itemPark City Mountain Resorttagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemSnowbasintagged by anachronism, 1/29/14
- itemSnowbirdtagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemSquaw Valley USAtagged by anachronism, 1/29/14
- itemSteamboat Ski Resorttagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemStowetagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemTelluride Ski & Golf Resorttagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemTremblanttagged by anachronism, 1/29/14
- itemVail Resorttagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemWhistler Blackcombtagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemWhiteface/Lake Placidtagged by anachronism, 1/29/14
- itemWhitefish Mountain Resorttagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
- itemWinter Parktagged by anachronism, 1/28/14
Related Forum Threads
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- SKI Magazine Resort Survey Results, 2012-2013 Last post on 3/2/13 at 1:25pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Resort Signature Runs Last post on 4/18/14 at 9:16am in General Skiing Discussion
- Most Disappointing/Surprising Ski Resorts Last post on 5/9/14 at 9:45am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Forbes top ten US ski resorts 2013 Last post on 3/2/15 at 9:10pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- EpicSki Interview with James NiehuesLast edited: 9/14/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
- Colorado Road Trip RecapLast edited: 8/29/15
- Colorado Spring Skiing: Don't Fear the AprilLast edited: 6/1/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Does it make any sense for an intermediate New England groomer skier to venture somewhere out west ?! - Page 30post #871 of 24881/29/14 at 3:54pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #872 of 24881/29/14 at 3:57pmpost #873 of 24881/29/14 at 4:03pmQuote:
Steamboat's good. Love Steamboat. Fell in love with a pair of Blizzards there. Came here and bought a pair from SkiMangoJazz.
Snowmass' good. Love Snowmass. Had a lifetime "top 10" powder run there last season.
Vail's good. Love Vail. Spent probably 40 of my first 50 days on skis there. You'd love the greens and blues off the gondola. Scared myself sh*tless coming over a roll too fast once a few years back.
Snowbasin's good. Love Snowbasin. Go up the high funicular and look down on the Park City Olympic Games men's downhill start. Don't ski it - take the funicular back down.post #874 of 24881/29/14 at 4:10pm
Oh man, two of my top guesses are off the board from like page 10 or so. I had WB and Big sky at that time, then Vail. I still have this weird feeling he is gonna throw a last minute wrench into everything and go to Mt Bachelorpost #875 of 24881/29/14 at 4:15pmThread Starter
But as you guys already know...it's difficult to find an affordable place to stay near Vail so that may need to be eliminated.
And if I had a car because I stayed further away then there is the parking.
Is there a good bus system to avoid the rental / parking?
And the bastards probably charge me for boot bag check too, huh?post #876 of 24881/29/14 at 4:17pmThread StarterQuote:
No, Oregon is almost as dry as California I understand.
But WB, Big Sky, Whitefish and Banff aren't entirely ruled out!post #877 of 24881/29/14 at 4:20pm
I voted "no" for the OP going at all. I'm not changing that. I don't see him going at all.
But if he does go, I'd say he'd end up in Aspen, because I just sense that's where he really want to go.
My money is he won't go!post #878 of 24881/29/14 at 4:20pmpost #879 of 24881/29/14 at 4:22pmQuote:
We've been there. It just goes round and round and round back to the same.
He can't afford to go to where he want to go. But he won't go where he can afford to go. That's why I voted he won't go.post #880 of 24881/29/14 at 4:26pmQuote:
TCC, it sounds like you are getting closer to the grand reveal.
So the question is whether you are really a value-operator or not.
I can't imagine any way that Vail would be fun on a tight budget travelling solo, and I think that it would be incredibly silly to stay an hour + from Vail and pay $$ to park each day. By my criteria, Vail on a shoestring would be a total bummer. Especially because you have other comparable options. But you'd like the terrain there for sure. Of course, you'd like the terrain almost anywhere with blue groomers.
All of the 4 choices above make sense from a skiing perspective.
I like the idea of Snowbasin. . . I recommended Odgen/Snowbasin as a value play 600 posts ago. And it has some limited cachet. . . the Olympic downhill course (and a killer view back at SLC and the lake from the top). So you could wear a Snowbasin ballcap back home with some pride and spin a yarn about mach'ing the John Paul downhill like the Hermanator.
Snowbasin is the UT equivalent of doing Winter Park, minus the 3 hour drive from the airport. And if you get "bored" you could always hit Powder Mountain or the Park City trio by a pretty easy drive. Go for it. Do the best deal you can find and roll your savings into consecutive day coaching.
Flights to SLC are cheap right now. I just checked.post #881 of 24881/29/14 at 4:33pm
I voted Snowbasin in the poll. Anyway, if you make it up there, make sure you look up 4ster who is an instructor there. He's a great guy and will really show you a great time. You'll probably even get better while your at it.
Page 30 OMG!post #882 of 24881/29/14 at 4:41pmQuote:
I also voted "no go", but this is just too much fun to quit now.
Honest, 2CC: I injected fond memories just a few postings above that have totally no relevance to this thread, but have everything to do with how I remember those ski areas. Vacations are about the memories you bring back. Do you really want to come back with memories of being stuck on the Vail pass while it is puking snow and the guys who stayed slopeside are enjoying the goods?post #883 of 24881/29/14 at 4:55pmpost #884 of 24881/29/14 at 5:01pmI am thrilled with his choices. Of those, saying send him to Steamboat. Has name recognition, lower altitude, good snow. Will not make a case for the snow here at this time in this thread. :-)post #885 of 24881/29/14 at 5:02pmI think you should go to Vail. Seriously. Find an all inclusive. Vail is so great (not the frontside).
In other news, here is Winter Park today (with Stowe's guns visible in the background).post #886 of 24881/29/14 at 5:02pmThread Starter
No. I don't want to be stuck anywhere. Hence, even though it looks ideal - and not for stupid fucking name recognition - Vail would be too expensive to stay nearby. Beyond double of what Steamboat quoted me for ski and stay for a week.
Now, you guys say I'm too inexperienced to know the difference between places, and that may be true, but it is unfortunate that I can't find a way to stay at my preferred place, based on what I know about it - 5000 acres and good to great for an intermediate pretty much everywhere.
I'm going somewhere. at_nyc, if you are a person of honor and character, I live in Westchester and work for Metro-North Railroad - if you want I'll come to you, assuming you live in NYC and we can shake hands on a $1000 bet that I'll go somewhere.
I skied 2 weeks ago at Sunday River with my brother - it was EXHAUSTING AND NERVE RACKING just trying to not break my body in half on the ice that was all over. With night skiing both days I was EXHAUSTED. And I don't think I would have been if the skiing was less stressful.
I work, and I research in the evenings - I'm planning on making a decision by this weekend and purchasing airfare.
NORMALLY I am looking forward to go skiing somewhere every weekend - but I am MORE MOTIVATED to get this resolved than to go skiing over ice at Okemo this weekend.
So if anybody wants to make a bet on whether or not this will happen let's do this - if not just STFU.post #887 of 24881/29/14 at 5:07pmpost #888 of 24881/29/14 at 5:11pmpost #889 of 24881/29/14 at 5:11pmThread StarterQuote:
No you won't. You're having a contest with the others to see who can write the most nonsense here (combined with a little bit of useful information).post #890 of 24881/29/14 at 5:18pmpost #891 of 24881/29/14 at 5:28pm
No, really. If that last comment about memories didn't move you. I am through. I don't have the desire to spar on this thread any longer. Go, or don't go. I don't give a flying patutie.post #892 of 24881/29/14 at 5:28pmQuote:
Only if you ride with @Anachronism. For the rest of us, DIA to MJ = 90 minutes. Unless you stop in Downieville, which, as previously documented, means all bets are off.post #893 of 24881/29/14 at 5:34pm
I"m tossing out another vote for Steamboat. My wife and I have been there the past two years, and are returning again in a bit over a week - this time with the kids. Love the mountain, the town is a lot of fun, and the people there are always super nice. Plus my wife could spend a whole day at Strawberry Hot Springs. We actually do a combo Winter Park / Steamboat trip - both mountains are great.
There - now I am part of the thread of the 2014. Awesome.post #894 of 24881/29/14 at 5:39pm
Of the resorts TCC has narrowed it down to, I have been to Snowbasin and really enjoyed it. Great mountain, long cruisers as well as easy to try off piste, lots of terrain in between every designated run. See thread http://www.epicski.com/t/116514/tr-powder-mountain-snowbasin-solitude-beaver-mountain-sun-valley
I have not been to Steamboat, Snowmass, or Vail.
Based on this very critical information, TCC should go to Snowbasin.
My rationale: it's not all about me, but it should be.post #895 of 24881/29/14 at 5:41pm
And just to be clear, I do intend to get to Steamboat in the next few years as well as Aspen/HIghlands/Snowmass. Not convinced that Vail is is on my bucket list, but hell, if someone wants to offer me free lodging and/or tickets….post #896 of 24881/29/14 at 5:42pmpost #897 of 24881/29/14 at 5:43pmQuote:
Generally people don't need to resort to bets as motivation to go on vacation.post #898 of 24881/29/14 at 5:50pmHey, look at this. JFK to Eagle direct flight with lodging deals. Some as low as $1,000 for five nights. You could stay where Kobe was getting it on for $1,600 including airfare. Stretch a little.post #899 of 24881/29/14 at 5:52pmpost #900 of 24881/29/14 at 5:52pmHe's hoping to fund the vacation by winning the grand off at_nyc..
- Does it make any sense for an intermediate New England groomer skier to venture somewhere out west ?!
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › Cons and Pros. Atomic Vantage cti 90 vs Nordica Enforcer 93 20 minutes ago
- › Race Boot Recommendations 22 minutes ago
- › Kids boot sizing 25 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 47 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 52 minutes ago
- › fischer skis the new curve or progressors 57 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 57 minutes ago
- › Holiday Valley, Seven Springs, Snowshoe, Bristol Lets Meetup! 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › Telluride March 11-18 2017 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer