or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski resorts near Oregon

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Hello all, 

I'm planning a trip to the US in December. I'll be visiting a lab in Oregon State University in Corvallis and I definitely want to have several days or even a week of skiing while I'm there. 
I've been looking around and it seems that Mt. Bachelor is the biggest resort in the state. I'm afraid that it'll be a bit too small though so I wanted to ask around if people recommend it, or otherwise if there is a bigger, better resort not too far from there. 

Best & Thanks! 
omer

post #2 of 25

Bachelor has 3700 acres...

post #3 of 25
If you keep flying past Oregon, I hear there are some big mountains in Asia.
post #4 of 25

You will have to go a ways (at least 250-300 miles) to find anything bigger than Bachelor. I think it is only about 130 miles from Corvallis. Some other choices at the larger distances may be:

 

Crystal Mt., Wa. (264 miles)

Whistler, B.C. (475 miles)

Sun Valley, ID (594 miles)

Lake Tahoe, CA (a number of areas) (513 miles, Sqyaw Valley)


Edited by Bill Miles - 10/18/13 at 4:14pm
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by omereilam View Post
 

Hello all, 

I'm planning a trip to the US in December. I'll be visiting a lab in Oregon State University in Corvallis and I definitely want to have several days or even a week of skiing while I'm there. 
I've been looking around and it seems that Mt. Bachelor is the biggest resort in the state. I'm afraid that it'll be a bit too small though so I wanted to ask around if people recommend it, or otherwise if there is a bigger, better resort not too far from there. 

Best & Thanks! 
omer

Welcome to EpicSki!  Where do you usually ski?

post #6 of 25

Bachelor is the second biggest ski area in the United States.  You'll have to fly to CO and go to Vail to find anything bigger.  I don't mean to be a dick but do some searching around this site and you'll find tons of great info to answer your questions.

post #7 of 25
Thinking Big Sky is now officially 5750 acres, Vail is 5289, so the most Bachelor can be is third...

I'm sure I can come up with others...Powder, Heavenly, Squaw, Canyons... Might be contenders.
post #8 of 25

The OP needs to give a lot more information before anyone can answer with anything very useful.

 

What is big enough?

What terrain are you looking for?

How far are you willing to travel?

Where are you coming from?

 

I'm sure there's more.

 

Bachelor is big enough for most people, but the terrain may be lacking if you're into challenging terrain.

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Thinking Big Sky is now officially 5750 acres, Vail is 5289, so the most Bachelor can be is third...

I'm sure I can come up with others...Powder, Heavenly, Squaw, Canyons... Might be contenders.

Weird, the wiki on Bachelor has conflicting info.  Second and sixth?  Big Sky would  be second now though according to current info, you are right.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Bachelor_ski_area

 

 

post #10 of 25

Bachy is my home mountain. My neighbor was complaining about how Bachelor is small, and I was all, "Are you on crack?" Turns out she never knew she could ski off piste. If you don't limit yourself to groomed runs, Bachelor is quite big. Plus she was from California, where they b*tch a lot about everything.

post #11 of 25
Wikipedia is not the Pope.
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Wikipedia is not the Pope.


Yes, and some acreage is more suitable for skiing than others.  Big Sky IMHO is one of those where the acreage overstates the usable ski fall lines.  The lower half of the vertical is flatter than the average western destination.  The upper half is crazy steep but a high proportion of that acreage is unskiable cliffs.  I think Jackson skis bigger than Big Sky on half the quoted acreage.

 

Bachelor's 3,700 acres is nearly all usable.   It is criticized for being flat but it really is consistently pitched.  That means not much steep terrain but not a great deal of excessively flat either IMHO.  A fairly high proportion of Bachelor's terrain is sufficiently pitched to ski in powder.

 

But if you want super steeps, yes you should go to Crystal, Whistler or Squaw instead.

post #13 of 25

Bachelor is big in clear weather.  It is unlikely the summit will be open and good in December.  It storms up there all December and January, and is good from April to August.

 

Stop at Mt Hood Meadows, maybe Hoodoo and come over.  If it is not open on top, it still has some good long runs, and after a few days you could run over to Sun Valley.

 

Here's Bachelor October 2nd:

post #14 of 25
Thread Starter 

Hey all,

 

Thanks a bunch for all the help.

To give a brief background and answer so of the questions.

I'm from Israel, mostly skiing around Europe (Italy, France, Austria, etc..), so this is going to be my first time (skiing) in The States.

I'm also looking into Whistler, which I heard awesome things about, but for now it seems like the flight from Oregon is kinda expensive so I might stay in OR after all.

I'm probably an intermediate-advanced skier, feeling pretty comfortable on all slopes, and just started to do some off-piste the previous year.

I'll probably be skiing for 3-6 days, and would like it to be as low budget as possible (except for settling for an 'okay' resort).

I'm flying solo so ideally I can find hostel-like accommodations, some people to join with, etc. - how would you recommend I go about and find such things?

Please keep up with all your tips and suggestions :-)

 

Best & Thanks!

omer

post #15 of 25

Shalom Omer.

 

Mt.Hood Meadows is worth a day. Bachelor is fun but nothing scary. Drop me a note when you get in town. Kol Tuv. Sofer

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by omereilam View Post
 

Hey all,

 

Thanks a bunch for all the help.

To give a brief background and answer so of the questions.

I'm from Israel, mostly skiing around Europe (Italy, France, Austria, etc..), so this is going to be my first time (skiing) in The States.

I'm also looking into Whistler, which I heard awesome things about, but for now it seems like the flight from Oregon is kinda expensive so I might stay in OR after all.

I'm probably an intermediate-advanced skier, feeling pretty comfortable on all slopes, and just started to do some off-piste the previous year.

I'll probably be skiing for 3-6 days, and would like it to be as low budget as possible (except for settling for an 'okay' resort).

I'm flying solo so ideally I can find hostel-like accommodations, some people to join with, etc. - how would you recommend I go about and find such things?

Please keep up with all your tips and suggestions :-)

 

Best & Thanks!

omer

Once you can narrow down your destination and dates, it's fair to say that it's likely you can find someone to join you for a few runs by creating a thread looking for ski buddies.

 

Have you found the Unofficial Guides and EpicSki Resort pages?  Look on the menu bar at the top.  That's one way to get a better feel for popular places.

post #17 of 25

It might not be skiing, but while you're in Corvallis consider hitting the Oregon Coast. You are around an hour from Newport. If you head south on 101 from Newport you'll travel one of the most beautiful stretches of highway in the nation. 

 

As for skiing, it is hard to beat Bachelor when on the left coast. The only knocks it gets is its hard to get to, there isn't any slope-side lodging & the lack of steep skiing (but most skiers find it challenging enough.) The snow quality there is almost always good and the powder, while not as light as Rocky Mountain powder, is fun plus you only need a few inches of it to get above the old snow.

post #18 of 25

Omereilam

 

The trip from Bend to Corvallis will be well worth your while.  I think you will be most impressed with Mt. Bachelor and will have a blast.  The Mt. is big, and the country in central Oregon is spectacular with great views of the Cascade Mts.  If you like beer check out the Deschutes Brewery in Bend, my favorite is Inversion IPA.

post #19 of 25

I think Bachelor is a good fit for your ability and likely to speed up your learning curve for the off-piste.   It's also reasonably priced compared to most resorts of that scale.  The downside, as mentioned above, is the ~50% closure rate of the Summit midwinter.  Hopefully you're in Oregon for a full school year and will be able to enjoy Bachelor's amazing spring.

post #20 of 25
Thread Starter 

I think I'll end up going to Bachelor indeed.

I read some decent reviews and while I'm in Oregon for only a week or so it seems ideal.

The only thing I couldn't find yet is any low budget suggested accommodations.

What would you guys/girls do when going solo to a new resort for several days?

 

Thanks!

omer

post #21 of 25

Mt Bachelor has no accomodations at the mountain itself. In Bend, about 20 miles away, there is a good selection of relatively low budget chain motels.

post #22 of 25
There is a plethora of low cost lodging in bend, the Internet is your friend

Don't miss Ten Barrel Brewery if you like beer
post #23 of 25
Thread Starter 

And I thought it's going to be ski-in-ski-out...what a spoiled brat ;)

I guess though that there are comfortable buses to and from Bend?

post #24 of 25

You need to rent a car in Corvallis for the week.  Getting from there to Bend without one has to be tedious.

post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by omereilam View Post
 

And I thought it's going to be ski-in-ski-out...what a spoiled brat ;)

I guess though that there are comfortable buses to and from Bend?

There are buses to Bend from Portland.  Not sure about Corvallis.  As I remember, the bus schedule was not that friendly.  Having a car would be much more convenient.  I checked out the option when thinking of visiting a friend in Oregon a few years ago.

 

The shuttle from Bend to the ski base seems pretty sensible.

http://www.mtbachelor.com/winter/services_activities/services/mt_bachelor_shuttle

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel