Set aside three weeks for skiing this winter. Bringing my wife (who does not ski) and am looking to go somewhere I haven't been before that also has a relatively bustling base area with restaurants/shops/activities for a non-skier. Something along the lines of Whistler/Vail/Park City/Breckenridge, but not those. Doesn't have to be as extensive as those, just something to keep a non-skier busy. Places I've already been include Whistler, South Lake Tahoe, Big Sky, Aspen, Vail, Beaver Creek, Steamboat, Breckenridge/Summit County, Park City, and the Cottonwood Canyons. Specifically want to know how the village areas are at Jackson Hole, Telluride, Crested Butte, Banff/Lake Louise/Sunshine, Sun Valley and on the north side of Lake Tahoe. I don't mind staying off the mountain if there's a reasonable village/base area moderately close by. Anyway, I'd appreciate any input/advice from y'alls. Thanks!
- itemBanff/ Mount Norquaytagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
- itemCrested Butte Mountain Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
- itemNorthstar-at-Tahoetagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
- itemSquaw Valley USAtagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
- itemSun Valley Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
- itemTaos Ski Valleytagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
- itemTelluride Ski & Golf Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- SKI Magazine Resort Survey Results, 2012-2013 Last post on 3/2/13 at 1:25pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Family Trip March 23-30 Last post on 1/21/13 at 12:29pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- CB/Telluride/Taos Last post on 12/4/13 at 4:09pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Resort Signature Runs Last post on 4/18/14 at 9:16am in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...Last edited: 1/8/16
- About Those German Trail Names at TaosLast edited: 7/12/14
- Northstar California Unofficial GuideLast edited: 10/16/13
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A PictorialLast edited: 9/21/13
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Ski villagepost #1 of 910/12/13 at 5:38pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 910/12/13 at 7:16pm
Sun Valley doesn't really have a village at the base(s), however the town of Ketchum is about a mile away and the Sun Valley resort is about two miles away. Plenty of lodging, dining, shopping etc. in both places and good free bus service.post #3 of 910/12/13 at 10:09pm
CB, T-ride and Banff are all great towns with lots of options. (I can't speak to SV or Jackson.) The lifts are just a few bocks off main street at T-ride. CB and Banff require a drive/bus to get to the lifts. All three towns pre-date skiing and have a real town feel. Size wise, Banff is the biggest town, follwed by T-ride then CB. Banff is probalby the best for the non-skier with a hot spring right in town and lots of other non-ski activities. But I suspect all 5 towns are likely to be good options for you and the wife.post #4 of 910/13/13 at 4:22am
3 weeks is many days n nights.... right up my alley! But, I'm a nomad, drives no problem, not sure you likey.
I'd combine TRide, CB, and Taos. All 3 have nice, really nice villages, and superb skiing.
CB is 30 minutes from Gunnisson, Taos 1.5 hours from Santa Fe.
Enjoy!post #5 of 910/13/13 at 6:31pmThread Starterpost #6 of 910/13/13 at 7:16pmBanff national park is widely viewed as the most beautiful place on earth. Scenery wise any all other ski areas are far behind battling for 2nd. Deer and elk roam the streets being that its in a national park. Great town... if your wife isnt skiing she'll have plenty to do. If you've got the cash you HAVE to stay at least a couple nights in the banff springs and/or the chateau lake louise- two of the worlds most iconic hotels.
Skiing wise youve got a choice of 3 resorts in the park (sunshine, lake louise, and the smaller norquay) and kicking horse is just down the trans canada.post #7 of 910/13/13 at 7:28pm
1) If you want a great town you haven't been to, try Telluride.
2) Lake Louise is magnificent. The "village" you seek is in Banff. The Canadian Rockies are more jagged (much older) and IMHO more beautiful than the Colorado Rockies. The Chateau Lake Louise is a great place to stay (see below). Not exactly a village, but the lake is frozen in the winter and the views from the European-styled (smaller sized) luxury rooms are magnificent. Banff is close by as is the mountain.
3) The ski "villages" in North Lake Tahoe are in Squaw and Northstar. There is nothing wrong with Truckee or Tahoe City, but they aren't ski in/out (lol).post #8 of 910/13/13 at 8:14pmBanff Springs is en actually the better of the two hotels... as its the original and possibly the grandest of the chateau-style hotels built by the railroads. Its closer to the town too.
- Ski village
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 2 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 8 minutes ago
- › Another What ski/size question, with a twist... 12 minutes ago
- › Best Budget Skiing in North America? 25 minutes ago
- › Rate my workout! 25 minutes ago
- › New Instructional Video: JF Beaulieu, Andreas Spittle & Nadine... 29 minutes ago
- › Ski Powder Highway 38 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 40 minutes ago
- › Kids boot sizing 50 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 58 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer