Set aside three weeks for skiing this winter. Bringing my wife (who does not ski) and am looking to go somewhere I haven't been before that also has a relatively bustling base area with restaurants/shops/activities for a non-skier. Something along the lines of Whistler/Vail/Park City/Breckenridge, but not those. Doesn't have to be as extensive as those, just something to keep a non-skier busy. Places I've already been include Whistler, South Lake Tahoe, Big Sky, Aspen, Vail, Beaver Creek, Steamboat, Breckenridge/Summit County, Park City, and the Cottonwood Canyons. Specifically want to know how the village areas are at Jackson Hole, Telluride, Crested Butte, Banff/Lake Louise/Sunshine, Sun Valley and on the north side of Lake Tahoe. I don't mind staying off the mountain if there's a reasonable village/base area moderately close by. Anyway, I'd appreciate any input/advice from y'alls. Thanks!
- itemBanff/ Mount Norquaytagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
- itemCrested Butte Mountain Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
- itemNorthstar-at-Tahoetagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
- itemSquaw Valley USAtagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
- itemSun Valley Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
- itemTaos Ski Valleytagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
- itemTelluride Ski & Golf Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 10/14/13
Related Forum Threads
- Outside Magazine’s 2012 Ski Resort Rankings Last post on 11/7/12 at 7:44am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- SKI Magazine Resort Survey Results, 2012-2013 Last post on 3/2/13 at 1:25pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Family Trip March 23-30 Last post on 1/21/13 at 12:29pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- CB/Telluride/Taos Last post on 12/4/13 at 4:09pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Resort Signature Runs Last post on 4/18/14 at 9:16am in General Skiing Discussion
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- A Brief History of Alpine SkiingLast edited: 2/13/17
- Top 5 Fridays - FIS Drone Ban, Discovery News, Crested Butte,...Last edited: 1/8/16
- About Those German Trail Names at TaosLast edited: 7/12/14
- Northstar California Unofficial GuideLast edited: 10/16/13
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Ski villagepost #1 of 910/12/13 at 5:38pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 910/12/13 at 7:16pm
Sun Valley doesn't really have a village at the base(s), however the town of Ketchum is about a mile away and the Sun Valley resort is about two miles away. Plenty of lodging, dining, shopping etc. in both places and good free bus service.post #3 of 910/12/13 at 10:09pm
CB, T-ride and Banff are all great towns with lots of options. (I can't speak to SV or Jackson.) The lifts are just a few bocks off main street at T-ride. CB and Banff require a drive/bus to get to the lifts. All three towns pre-date skiing and have a real town feel. Size wise, Banff is the biggest town, follwed by T-ride then CB. Banff is probalby the best for the non-skier with a hot spring right in town and lots of other non-ski activities. But I suspect all 5 towns are likely to be good options for you and the wife.post #4 of 910/13/13 at 4:22am
3 weeks is many days n nights.... right up my alley! But, I'm a nomad, drives no problem, not sure you likey.
I'd combine TRide, CB, and Taos. All 3 have nice, really nice villages, and superb skiing.
CB is 30 minutes from Gunnisson, Taos 1.5 hours from Santa Fe.
Enjoy!post #5 of 910/13/13 at 6:31pmThread Starterpost #6 of 910/13/13 at 7:16pmBanff national park is widely viewed as the most beautiful place on earth. Scenery wise any all other ski areas are far behind battling for 2nd. Deer and elk roam the streets being that its in a national park. Great town... if your wife isnt skiing she'll have plenty to do. If you've got the cash you HAVE to stay at least a couple nights in the banff springs and/or the chateau lake louise- two of the worlds most iconic hotels.
Skiing wise youve got a choice of 3 resorts in the park (sunshine, lake louise, and the smaller norquay) and kicking horse is just down the trans canada.post #7 of 910/13/13 at 7:28pm
1) If you want a great town you haven't been to, try Telluride.
2) Lake Louise is magnificent. The "village" you seek is in Banff. The Canadian Rockies are more jagged (much older) and IMHO more beautiful than the Colorado Rockies. The Chateau Lake Louise is a great place to stay (see below). Not exactly a village, but the lake is frozen in the winter and the views from the European-styled (smaller sized) luxury rooms are magnificent. Banff is close by as is the mountain.
3) The ski "villages" in North Lake Tahoe are in Squaw and Northstar. There is nothing wrong with Truckee or Tahoe City, but they aren't ski in/out (lol).post #8 of 910/13/13 at 8:14pmBanff Springs is en actually the better of the two hotels... as its the original and possibly the grandest of the chateau-style hotels built by the railroads. Its closer to the town too.
- Ski village
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- A Brief History of Alpine Skiing
- › 2016/17 PNW thread: news, weather, anecdotes, history, gossip and... 26 minutes ago
- › How is it that every fresh snow fall is greeted as "A POWDER DAY"? 32 minutes ago
- › Inside leg issue and other concerns. 43 minutes ago
- › Kastle skis -- vastly overrated ! What do you think ? 2 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › Nordica NRGY vs Enforcer 100 2 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › Alta and/or Snowbird April 2017, will you be there? 2 hours, 44 minutes ago
- › Bad idea to practice on 27m skis before a 30m race? 2 hours, 47 minutes ago
- › Upcoming Wasatch Trip - Mar 30 - Apr 4 2 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › How Much Wax to Wax a Ski? That Was The Question. 2 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › How Long Do Skis Last? 3 hours, 10 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview