or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Xmas father & son (15) TREK [SLC, MT, WY , SLC starting late Dec]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Xmas father & son (15) TREK [SLC, MT, WY , SLC starting late Dec] - Page 2

post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpaulski View Post

"My friends and I stayed at a great little motel in Driggs last year"  Name pls?



 



Is 6 days @ Big S too much....?  Should I give another day to Bridger?


 



You can do 6 days at Big Sky no problem. It is a monster big hill. I hope your legs hold up.

http://epicski.onthesnow.com/products/big-sky/reviews/1226

I lasted 5 days there, and left alot of the mountain untouched.

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #32 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

While 6 days is not too long at Big Sky, especially if you ski at Moonlight too, spending a couple days at Bridger is worth considering.  Especially if you take another lesson.  Definitely can find less expensive lodging in Bozeman than near Big Sky.  Good restaurant options too.  Probably worth a PM to a local to see what the situation is like at Bridger during the holidays.  The university students are likely to have gone home so could be that it's not that bad.

 

There were folks who drove to the EpicSki Big Sky/Bridger Gathering last season who only skied at Bridger.  My friends and I stayed in a Big Sky condo all week, but drove to Bridger two days in a row.  For me, it was worth it because then I was ready to tackle much more at Big Sky for the rest of the week.  Harder to stick to the somewhat easier stuff and work on technique at Big Sky because there is so much to cover.

 

Perhaps skip Pebble and do another day at Bridger instead?

 

Depending on the economy, weather and snow-pack Bridger Bowl can get overran the week after Xmas by bus loads of flatlanders from the Dakotas, Minnesota, and some even driving from as far away as Wisconsin. The rental shops run out of skis and you can wait in line for over an hour for lunch. The good news is they tend to stick to the easier stuff and don't have the stamina to ski all day so the lift lines are usually okay. If they don't come the mountain is empty through the holidays. 

 

As noted in another thread, most bears that ski Big Sky stay a day or two at the beginning or end of their trip in Bozeman & ski Bridger. Returning bears almost always spend a couple days at Bridger.  

post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio View Post

 

Depending on the economy, weather and snow-pack Bridger Bowl can get overran the week after Xmas by bus loads of flatlanders from the Dakotas, Minnesota, and some even driving from as far away as Wisconsin. The rental shops run out of skis and you can wait in line for over an hour for lunch. The good news is they tend to stick to the easier stuff and don't have the stamina to ski all day so the lift lines are usually okay. If they don't come the mountain is empty through the holidays. 

 

As noted in another thread, most bears that ski Big Sky stay a day or two at the beginning or end of their trip in Bozeman & ski Bridger. Returning bears almost always spend a couple days at Bridger.  

Sounds like the typical holiday scenario everywhere in the southeast and Mid-A.  Arriving early, eating early or late, and staying late can work for travelers or parents who are stuck working around school holidays.  The OP's son is a lucky boy since they are headed to big mountains and will mostly be skiing after Jan. 3.  The OP is lucky because his son's school break goes into mid-Jan. :D

post #34 of 58
Thread Starter 

Hey SpikeDog!   How slow and crowded is the longer lift at Pebble?   It just looks perfect for a lesson day on drive up to Big Sky etc.

 

Would a Private lesson in Pebble be as (more?) rewarding than at one of the bigger, famous resorts?  Price is definitely a big +.

 

Our days @ JH not certain, do you know when you'll be there late dec/early jan?

 

Gracias.

post #35 of 58

Gonna be at Big Sky and Bridger Xmas week. Which place should be less affected by crowds?  As of now, planning on BS thru the 26th, then BB on the Fri the 27th and Sat 28th. If Bridger would be tpp crowded I could change our reservations and stay longer at Big Sky.  As much as I'd like to ski both places, I'd take a pass if it'll be a zoo because of the holidays.

post #36 of 58
My experience is that people spend the 26th packing up the presents and, if they didn't get any, traveling. Then they show up on the 27th, and, whoa, the 28th. Being as you've heard that many tack on Bridger to the front of their vacation, my guess is you want to stay longer in Big Sky, then arrive in Bridger on the 29th, once they've made it to Big Sky. Just guessing here.. Nolo or Rio or Ricb are the ones to ask.
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

My experience is that people spend the 26th packing up the presents and, if they didn't get any, traveling. Then they show up on the 27th, and, whoa, the 28th. Being as you've heard that many tack on Bridger to the front of their vacation, my guess is you want to stay longer in Big Sky, then arrive in Bridger on the 29th, once they've made it to Big Sky. Just guessing here.. Nolo or Rio or Ricb are the ones to ask.

Yes, was tacking on Bridger at the end. Mostly because it was much cheaper to stay in Big Sky before the 26th. After that holiday rates kick in. Up in Bozeman, I'm using Marriot points so there is no real cost. But if Bridger will be a mess, I'd rather just bite the bullet and over pay for another night or two in Big Sky.

post #38 of 58

I've been amazed some years showing up at Bridger on Boxing Day (December 26) to find bus loads of flatlanders that had left Xmas day and driven all night to be at Bridger when it opens (though most of the crowd doesn't show up until the 27th or 28th.) As stated in another thread, if the weather, early snow pack and economy are right Bridger can get large amounts of Otans (people from North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota) that arrive by bus and car. The rental shops run out of gear and the lunch lines can be over an hour while on the hill the lift lines are usually tolerable and often non-existent early and late in the day. While the large crowds showing up was a common occurrence the last decade it hasn't happened much the past few years.

 

Except for lines at the ticket windows and rental shops Big Sky is empty between Xmas and New Years. Its a tough call between the Big Sky & Bridger. Most people find the worst holiday lines at Bridger better than anything they've experienced in Colorado or California but they will seem long compared to the nonexistent lines at Big Sky. We are getting a good early snowpack here which often entices more people to plan Xmas vacations here but we are also suppose to have a winter with normal temperatures (they've been running warm) and above average snowfall and that keeps the crowds from driving here. 

post #39 of 58

Interesting comments above.  The more local areas like Bridger without a bunch of high speed lifts can get backed up on the occasions when they are crowded.  The Saturday and Sunday between Christmas and New Years, those are the days I would most avoid.

 

Big Sky's overall lift capacity is far beyond the number of people who ski there, so probably less to worry about there. The conspicuous exception is the Lone Peak tram, which due to 15-person capacity seems to run a 30 minute lift line whenever it's good up there.  This is an irrelevant concern to intermediates like gpaulski .

 

Quote:
Hey SpikeDog!   How slow and crowded is the longer lift at Pebble?   It just looks perfect for a lesson day on drive up to Big Sky etc. 

It doesn't look perfect to me.  Pebble is a 53% advanced mountain (by its trail map) with modest natural snowfall and probably minimal snowmaking. Pebble barely was open at all during the lean 2011-12 season. It would be a fool's errand to go there in December instead of Targhee (THE most reliable early season mountain in North America) driving between SLC and Big Sky.

post #40 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
Big Sky's overall lift capacity is far beyond the number of people who ski there, so probably less to worry about there. The conspicuous exception is the Lone Peak tram, which due to 15-person capacity seems to run a 30 minute lift line whenever it's good up there.  This is an irrelevant concern to intermediates like gpaulski .

 

It doesn't look perfect to me.  Pebble is a 53% advanced mountain (by its trail map) with modest natural snowfall and probably minimal snowmaking. Pebble barely was open at all during the lean 2011-12 season. It would be a fool's errand to go there in December instead of Targhee (THE most reliable early season mountain in North America) driving between SLC and Big Sky.

 

Wanna bet on Tram runs????

 

Agreed on Pebble iffyness, will play it by ear.

 

Why is Big Sky empty 12/25-31??????  How about 1/2-7?

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpaulski View Post
 

Hey SpikeDog!   How slow and crowded is the longer lift at Pebble?   It just looks perfect for a lesson day on drive up to Big Sky etc.

 

Would a Private lesson in Pebble be as (more?) rewarding than at one of the bigger, famous resorts?  Price is definitely a big +.

 

Our days @ JH not certain, do you know when you'll be there late dec/early jan?

 

Gracias.

 

I couldn't vouch for any particular instructor, since I don't know any personally.  You've got as good a chance at Pebble Creek as anywhere else on getting a good one.  Like Tony Crocker mentioned, Pebble is iffy on early season snow.  Pebble is as stout a mountain as anywhere else, and I'm sure you'd find it challenging enough.  No high speed lifts there, but that'll just let you catch your breath.

 

I'm only at JH on weekends and holidays.  I prefer to wait until the hill is close to 100% open, especially the Hobacks.  A JH day without a Hoback run is like a day without sunshine.  "Don't nobody leave without singing the blues."

 

 

You might want to try this run too.  Know it?  This is a different angle than most people take pictures from....

 

post #42 of 58

I know a few really good tele instructors from pebble creek.  When conditions are good, I hear it's a kick ass mountain.

post #43 of 58
Quote:
Why is Big Sky empty 12/25-31??????  How about 1/2-7? 

I'm not an authority on this, because I generally avoid skiing 12/26-31 anywhere.   But based upon my 3 trips there there's room for a fair number more people before the place would get crowded, except for the tram.

 

Quote:
Wanna bet on Tram runs????  

No, but based on the lengthy First Tracks thread about your ski equipment and preferences http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11105 , it may not be a smart idea for you to ski up there.  NOTHING is groomed, the runs are long, and all of them other than Liberty Bowl have unpleasant consequences if you fall (and more consequences at Christmas than later in the season when there is more snow).  I'd recommend letting an instructor make that decision for you.   That goes for the Hobacks too.

 

Targhee is the safest place for you to get off the groomed.  If you're looking to do that on this trip you might want to schedule more time there.  Jackson, Snowbird and especially Lone Peak at Big Sky are the places you are likely to get in trouble off trail without local guidance.


Edited by Tony Crocker - 10/26/13 at 10:15pm
post #44 of 58
Thread Starter 

Gracias Don Tony, of course we'd never venture onto that type of terrain.

post #45 of 58

I just looked at the link that Tony posted above.  I would recomend skiing in JH over Targhee if time is tight.  We have plenty of LSG (long steep groomers) for you as well as more advanced off piste terrain.  I could help you and your son get into that kind of stuff safely if you were interested in booking a lesson.  We also offer the Mountain X group lesson product that is far less expensive than the private option and could work well for you.  I work mostly in the Mountain X line up and truly believe that it is a great product at a nice price point.  It sounds as if you would also benefit from some longer skis.  

 

Another option for you might be to take a Mountain X lesson one day and then do a half or full day with one of our Guides for some OB powder.  Our Guides are really great, you will get beacon training and a nice safe introduction to BC skiing on terrain that is not too intense for you. 

post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

Interesting comments above.  The more local areas like Bridger without a bunch of high speed lifts can get backed up on the occasions when they are crowded.  The Saturday and Sunday between Christmas and New Years, those are the days I would most avoid.

 

You need a large local population to overrun a local resort. With all the MSU students gone and a significant portion of the locals that will only ski on big powder days you just don't have enough riders left to overload Bridger. It also helps that the typical visitor over the holidays only makes a handful of runs in a day and generally stays on the beginner and lower intermediate trails.


Edited by Rio - 10/27/13 at 11:35am
post #47 of 58

I probably commented in the other thread that Casper and Apres Vous have the type of terrain gpaulski likes best.  And I've also said Jackson is one of the best places for instruction, based upon my son's experience with 3 days of it.  Perhaps there is value in having the lesson(s) at Jackson and then applying what has been learned to Targhee's mellower ungroomed slopes.

 

Bidger's lift infrastucture is more extensive than some of the places I've seen.  On weekend days with tons of local kids around, Bridger did not have the lift line issues that I saw at Montana Snowbowl, though it was a snowy day at Bridger and blue skies at Snowbowl.  I have no idea how much MSU drives Bridger's attendance and to what degree that offsets the usual holiday factors.

 

Terrain-wise Bridger has very little in the way of gpaulski's preferences, so it's hard for me to see why he would go there vs. Big Sky aside from the local instruction recommendation made earlier here.

post #48 of 58
Thread Starter 

Tks again. Let's look at costs of Private Lessons, 2 pax, 3 hours:

 

Big Sky  450

JH  460

GT  259

Bridger  235

 

Pebble  130

Beaver  160

 

Brighton  275

Alta  300 ???

 

 

Snowbasin  245

 

 

Any suggestions ( definitely not paying privates at JH nor BS....) ?

post #49 of 58

You don't need a private at JH.  Reread tetonpwdrjunkie's post above.   You should be able to find similar programs at Alta and Snowbird.

post #50 of 58
I know he's not coming here, but in case there are others, it's
Quote:
Big Sky 450
JH 460
GT 259
Bridger 235

Pebble 130
Beaver 160

Brighton 275
Alta 300 ???


Snowbasin 245
Whitefish 290
Whitefish quick tips, 1 hour. 135


:-)
post #51 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

You don't need a private at JH.  Reread tetonpwdrjunkie's post above.   You should be able to find similar programs at Alta and Snowbird.

For someone who is working to maximize the learning curve in the one or two ski trips a season, while group lessons are better than none, if gpaulski can do private lessons then I think he will get the most bang for his buck.

 

An adult skier willing to practice does not need much in the way of terrain to work on fundamentals.  I learned a great deal from a Level 3 instructor at Massanutten.  Mnut has all of 70 acres and 3 black runs that take off of 1-2 min at speed.  But my instructor has no problem finding ways for me to work on skills.  That instruction transferred very well to Bridger, Big Sky, and Alta last season.

 

Note that this season I plan on taking a lesson at JH.  Will be my first trip there.  Having 2 ski buddies to share the cost makes JH quite reasonable.

post #52 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

You don't need a private at JH.  Reread tetonpwdrjunkie's post above.   You should be able to find similar programs at Alta and Snowbird.

Here:

Mountain X  

 

This mountain’s for YOU! Challenge yourself to finesse your skills on Jackson's double blue, black and double black terrain in this class designed for advanced skiers.

Full Day
Buy Now
Lesson/ Lift Ticket -  $210
Lesson only -  $150

 

Mountain X classes meet at the Teewinot Lift Meeting place at 9:50 AM.

 

tetonpwdrjunkie, what does FULL DAY mean??

post #53 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpaulski View Post
 

Here:

Mountain X  

 

This mountain’s for YOU! Challenge yourself to finesse your skills on Jackson's double blue, black and double black terrain in this class designed for advanced skiers.

Full Day
Buy Now
Lesson/ Lift Ticket -  $210
Lesson only -  $150

 

Mountain X classes meet at the Teewinot Lift Meeting place at 9:50 AM.

 

tetonpwdrjunkie, what does FULL DAY mean??

It means that my class skis from 10:05 or so till about 4:20 if we can catch the 3:59 Gondola.  The class ends when the lifts turn off or you can't take it anymore:D.  There is a lunch break, but I like to try to keep it short so we can ski more.

post #54 of 58
Thread Starter 

Gracias teton,will definitely look into this!!

post #55 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeDog View Post
 

 

I couldn't vouch for any particular instructor, since I don't know any personally.  You've got as good a chance at Pebble Creek as anywhere else on getting a good one.  Like Tony Crocker mentioned, Pebble is iffy on early season snow.  Pebble is as stout a mountain as anywhere else, and I'm sure you'd find it challenging enough.  No high speed lifts there, but that'll just let you catch your breath.

 

I'm only at JH on weekends and holidays.  I prefer to wait until the hill is close to 100% open, especially the Hobacks.  A JH day without a Hoback run is like a day without sunshine.  "Don't nobody leave without singing the blues."

 

 

You might want to try this run too.  Know it?  This is a different angle than most people take pictures from....

 


I'll bite, what run is this?

post #56 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpaulski View Post
 


I'll bite, what run is this?

 

That is Corbets from the middle or so looking up at the entrance.

post #57 of 58

That's about where all my stuff ended up.

post #58 of 58
Thread Starter 

Thought so, just never seen, and probably never will see it from this angle.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel

Gear mentioned in this thread:

EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Xmas father & son (15) TREK [SLC, MT, WY , SLC starting late Dec]