or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › breck and summit county resorts vs. Jackson/ Targhee
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

breck and summit county resorts vs. Jackson/ Targhee - Page 2

post #31 of 49

I know it will come as a shock to those of you on a ski message board on a September morning, but terrain quality is not the sole requirement for a happy life! :D

post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

I have a hard time reconciling the idea of someone who skis serious terrain worrying more about the night life. Just because he's been at Big Sky 8 years doesn't mean he's been hitting all it has to offer, terrain-wise.

...but he might have been hitting all it has to offer, singles or otherwise availables-wise.

Well, I could see where Big Sky would have a limited singles scene. But to even discuss the issue of night life vs. terrain speaks volumes.

 

*shrug* it just says 'healthy testosterone levels' to me.  :eek:D  

post #33 of 49
With a minimum of effort, he could just move a few miles to Bridger and have all those coeds to choose from.
post #34 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

With a minimum of effort, he could just move a few miles to Bridger and have all those coeds to choose from.

 

They could be why he is moving.  

post #35 of 49

I vote for Tony Crocker's idea.  Jackson until March 1, then Breck.


Edited by hirustler - 9/26/13 at 12:27pm
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle3 View Post
 

OP, if you need some lovin’, I’d go right to Aspen. That’s high value cougar country out there (and quality mountains too!)

Hope he is financially independently.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

With a minimum of effort, he could just move a few miles to Bridger and have all those coeds to choose from.

Probably too old for the local coeds or on one of those 'lists' maintained by the nanny/establishments.

 

Take my comments with a dram of grain.

post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

I've never skied Breck.  I can tell you that we have several instructors on staff in JH who own property in Breck and live there in the summers.  Every winter they come here to ski and teach.  Why would they do that?  



 



We also have free concerts by big names in the spring.  This year the big one will be Michael Franti.


 



How do your instructors afford property in Breck? Tips must be good.
post #38 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by chraya View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post
 

I've never skied Breck.  I can tell you that we have several instructors on staff in JH who own property in Breck and live there in the summers.  Every winter they come here to ski and teach.  Why would they do that?  

 

 

 

We also have free concerts by big names in the spring.  This year the big one will be Michael Franti.

 



How do your instructors afford property in Breck? Tips must be good.

 

I own property in Jackson.  I make enough money teaching skiing to pay my mortgage.  What's your point?

post #39 of 49

Yeah, my brother bought two houses (not at the same time) in Breck while a ski patroller. It's not easy, but it isn't like every place is a McMansion.

post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
 

 

I wouldn't take Breck over Killington, much less JH.

you're joking, right?  I'd take the amazing above treeline skiing of Breck over Kmart every day

post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post
 

 

I own property in Jackson.  I make enough money teaching skiing to pay my mortgage.  What's your point?

 

whats your other sources of income? including before skiing. I am calling BS on this. The numbers really do not add up.....

 

average housiung unit in jackson hole is 550k Iam assuming your property is less than that in fact lets assume its 200k. if it 200k with a 6.5 interest rate you will be paying 1300 a month on a 30 year mortgage.

 

I often assumed that if I moved to jackson I could make in a few years 15-20k a season plus tips. Correct me if I am wrong on that figure but I feel that is what a top level getting request a bunch L3 + instructor would make at jackson hole. a 1300 dollar a month mortgage payment would seem very very tough to swallow even make more than double what I make now........

post #42 of 49

Maybe he bought it before some run up 20 years ago.  

post #43 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post
 

 

I own property in Jackson.  I make enough money teaching skiing to pay my mortgage.  What's your point?

 

Yeah but you don't also spend half the year somewhere else meaning they are paying rent/mortgage at two places simultaneously 

post #44 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post
 

 

Yeah but you don't also spend half the year somewhere else meaning they are paying rent/mortgage at two places simultaneously 

 

A house in a resort town can generally do pretty well as a vacation rental- well enough in many cases to pay a year's worth of mortgage payments by rentals during the peak season.

post #45 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf210 View Post
 

 

Yeah but you don't also spend half the year somewhere else meaning they are paying rent/mortgage at two places simultaneously 

 

If they are renting out the Breck place, they are likely more than covering their mortgage, depending on when they bought the place.

post #46 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

 

A house in a resort town can generally do pretty well as a vacation rental- well enough in many cases to pay a year's worth of mortgage payments by rentals during the peak season.

 

jinx!  

:D

post #47 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post
 

 

jinx!  

:D

...

post #48 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post
 

 

whats your other sources of income? including before skiing. I am calling BS on this. The numbers really do not add up.....

 

average housiung unit in jackson hole is 550k Iam assuming your property is less than that in fact lets assume its 200k. if it 200k with a 6.5 interest rate you will be paying 1300 a month on a 30 year mortgage.

 

I often assumed that if I moved to jackson I could make in a few years 15-20k a season plus tips. Correct me if I am wrong on that figure but I feel that is what a top level getting request a bunch L3 + instructor would make at jackson hole. a 1300 dollar a month mortgage payment would seem very very tough to swallow even make more than double what I make now........

 

I don't need to get into too many details about my finances on a public forum.  I moved to Jackson in 1989.  When I arrived on Nov 10 I had a broken femur and less than $200.  I never received money from my parents or anyone else.  I don't have a trust fund.  I bought my home in 1998.  I paid three months of principal on every mortgage payment for about the first 6 years then I refinanced when the interest rates dropped.  My mortgage is less than most peoples rent.  I am where I am because I don't spend a lot of money, refused to buy more home than I could afford, and didn't take home equity loans to buy bullshit like a lot of people did.  In fact, the only reason I could afford to start teaching skiing was that I had an affordable place to live.  It took a few seasons, but I now pay all my bills for the ski season on what I make at the ski school before tips.


Edited by tetonpwdrjunkie - 9/26/13 at 10:11pm
post #49 of 49

This thread is awesome, wow.

 

I also like Tony's JH until March 1st then Breck idea.   March is the month you want to be in Summit Co for night life, as Jan is slow and it just starts picking up in Feb.  The free concerts all over in April are amazing.

 

Here's another idea:  for the cost of a JH pass, you can buy a Epic Local Pass, Rocky Mountain Super Pass+, a Mountain Collective Pass and have money left for gas.  Make Breck your home base and chase storms.  

 

With that plan you get unlimited skiing at Breck, Keystone, A-basin, Copper and Winter Park, 10 days a Vail/Beaver Creek, 6 days at Steamboat, and two days at Aspen, JH, AltaBird, Squaw, Mamouth and Whistler.  Go to the snow for the best skiing!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › breck and summit county resorts vs. Jackson/ Targhee