or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Mid-Atlantic Gathering Location - Poll
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mid-Atlantic Gathering Location - Poll - Page 2

Poll Results: Where should we have the Mid-Atlantic Gathering?

Poll expired: Nov 30, 2013  
  • 47% (16)
    Blue Knob, PA
  • 52% (18)
    Timberline, WV
34 Total Votes  
post #31 of 163
Quote:
 

Last time I finished off that much chili in one sitting I got a bellyache too.:p 

 

 

Only a fool relies on GPS in West Virginia...

smiley-16.gif

post #32 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 

I'm looking at Google Maps for the most recent info.  Still doesn't look good at all coming from due south.  East or west approaches look quite reasonable.  Go ahead, map it from Durham, NC and see what the options are..

 

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Durham,+NC&daddr=Timberline+Four+Seasons+Resort,+Davis,+WV&hl=en&ll=38.584673,-79.233398&spn=1.150768,2.705383&sll=38.75087,-79.096069&sspn=0.574053,1.352692&geocode=FbE5JQIdRRpM-ynxZg8SceSsiTF-8kaKidp64Q%3BFXynUwIdj3NE-yHjQrBBQXDJkSmzVCpMgMtKiDHjQrBBQXDJkQ&oq=dur&mra=ls&t=m&z=9

 

The description of that route (when to turn, etc.) kinda sucks on Google Maps. I'll get into the WV part in a bit.

 

The worst part of that trip is crossing the mountains on the Virginia/West Virginia border. I don't have to cross that section (did it a few times way back when heading to Snowshoe/Blowshoe). I have heard that it sucks, narrow/twisty roads. People from Richmond area (or other places south) may have better choices to cross those series of ridges.

 

Heading from the south to Timberline, you most likely want to end up here (Seneca Rocks, WV): https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Seneca+Rocks,+WV&hl=en&ll=38.827539,-79.374332&spn=0.07168,0.169086&sll=38.638327,-79.137268&sspn=0.574957,1.352692&oq=senec&hnear=Seneca+Rocks,+Pendleton,+West+Virginia&t=m&z=13

 

The north/south road the passes through Seneca Rocks is in a valley (parallels the river.) It is pretty easy driving and not affected by the weather much. The tough part is getting there from I-81. Also, north of Seneca Rocks, that road is labelled 28/55, south of Seneca rocks it is labelled 28/33.

 

In general in West Virgina, stay in the valleys as much as possible. Easier driving less subject to the elements.

 

Seneca rocks is a T intersection with a stop sign. (Rare for that section of road.) Coming from the south, you'll take a left on 33/55. That makes the climb up the Allegheny front. The climb has some switchbacks, but it is pretty sheltered from the elements (though a long way down to the bottom.) At the very top of the climb there is a brief exposed section that always has snowdrifts. Be careful there. Past that section, follow the road to Harmon (first major intersection.) Bear right onto Route 32 North. Route 32 takes you right up to Canaan Valley.

 

In West Virginia, if GPS takes you down a dirt road, especially in the winter, don't make that turn. (GPS doesn't have it's hands on the steering wheel.) There is some truth to some of those B-grade slasher flicks that are filmed in Appalachia. Or you could end up in Donner Pass East.

post #33 of 163
post #34 of 163

When you drive from NC to Blue Knob, do you pass through the DC area or take Route 81? From my house (just off the Beltway in VA), Blue Knob and Timberline are about the same driving time (within 10 minutes or so.)

post #35 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
 

When you drive from NC to Blue Knob, do you pass through the DC area or take Route 81? From my house (just off the Beltway in VA), Blue Knob and Timberline are about the same driving time (within 10 minutes or so.)

 

No, not DC.  Never DC unless I'm visiting someone there.  I-91 between I-495 and Fredericksburg is hopeless from a traffic standpoint these days.  Been getting worse and worse in the last decade or two.  Even when I drive to Lake Placid, I drive via Harrisonburg to avoid I-95, and the traffic in NJ and on the NY Turnpike south of Albany.  800 miles vs 750 miles but much, much more reliable in terms of total driving time, in addition to lower stress level.  My brother has lived in DC for a long time, so I know the roads around there well.  We grew up in NYC, with cousins in the DC area.

 

I've considered going on Hwy 55 instead of US33.  Is that what's called Corridor H?  I can see where the actual driving time from Harrisonburg could be about the same.  Traffic moves pretty fast on I-81.  90 miles via US33 vs 150 miles with about 60 miles on I-81.

 

Good to know about the drive from Seneca Rocks.  I've driven from Snowshoe in snow, so have an appreciation for snowy, windy, WV roads . . . behind people who don't know how to drive in snow.  Learned to take WV92 for valley driving instead of US219.

post #36 of 163
Quote:
 I've considered going on Hwy 55 instead of US33.  Is that what's called Corridor H?  I can see where the actual driving time from Harrisonburg could be about the same.  Traffic moves pretty fast on I-81.  90 miles via US33 vs 150 miles with about 60 miles on I-81.

 

http://www.wvcorridorh.com/route/lrgmap.html

 

I think Corridor H is officially designated I-48, though it overlaps with Route 55 in sections.

 

Wardensville, WV (near VA line) to Davis (not fully complete yet) back down to Elkins, WV. From Route 81, Exit 296? near Strasburg, VA. (Just south of the intersection with I-66.)

post #37 of 163

Even if the Gathering is not at Timberline, head up and Jimmy and I will give you a tour. Canaan Valley area is distinct and an outdoor lovers paradise. I'll be skiing T-Line every weekend except the two weekends around the Utah Gathering and the second weekend of the Tahoe/Mammoth Gathering.

post #38 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
 

Even if the Gathering is not at Timberline, head up and Jimmy and I will give you a tour. Canaan Valley area is distinct and an outdoor lovers paradise. I'll be skiing T-Line every weekend except the two weekends around the Utah Gathering and the second weekend of the Tahoe/Mammoth Gathering.

 

If I head to Tline/CV on my own, more likely to be midweek when I'm at Mnut for a week.  Certainly would let you and Jimmy know beforehand.

 

Thanks for the Corridor H link.

post #39 of 163

Back to the OP, either choice is a great choice. Timberline/Canaan Valley and Blue Knob are IMHO by far the best choices for hard-core skiers in the Mid Atlantic. I only ski those areas locally (with the exception of the random day trip to Whitetail.)

 

Edit: tossing a bone to a certain someone, I'd put the now defunct Laurel Mountain into best choices category. (Third choice. ;) )

post #40 of 163

So for Tline/CV, when is the choice made as to the location for the 3 days?  If I do a timeshare week, that might mean skiing Thu-Sat instead of Fri-Sun.

post #41 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
 

Edit: tossing a bone to a certain someone, I'd put the now defunct Laurel Mountain into best choices category. (Third choice. ;) )

 

I plan to post an earn your turns trip from there at some point this season. 

post #42 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
 

Back to the OP, either choice is a great choice. Timberline/Canaan Valley and Blue Knob are IMHO by far the best choices for hard-core skiers in the Mid Atlantic. I only ski those areas locally (with the exception of the random day trip to Whitetail.)

 

Edit: tossing a bone to a certain someone, I'd put the now defunct Laurel Mountain into best choices category. (Third choice. ;) )

 

Thanks for the bone but I wouldn't even rank Laurel #3 without good natural coverage given the plan not to expand snowmaking. That is if they ever do get it open.

 

Wolfelot, keep me posted. I have an AT set up I'm anxious to use.

post #43 of 163
Thread Starter 

I created a new group for planning and information dissemination here:

 

Mid-Atlantic Gathering 2014

 

Once we decide location we can use that forum for coordinating housing and ride shares in addition to providing other useful information.

 

Edit to fix link, thanks crgildart.

post #44 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Hill Crazie View Post
 

I created a new group for planning and information dissemination here:

 

Mid-Atlantic Gathering 2014

 

Once we decide location we can use that forum for coordinating housing and ride shares in addition to providing other useful information.

Above link is to current thread

 

Link to group is actually here. 

 

http://www.epicski.com/groups/show/31/mid-atlantic-gathering-2014

post #45 of 163

So it looks like I will be stateside Feb 6-27 this year. I have the Gathering penciled in at the moment, dependent on it being at Blue Knob. 

post #46 of 163
Thread Starter 

Tyler, if the choice ends up Timberline you should really try to make it. T-line is worth the effort. Much more consistent snow and better tree skiing. All you lose is a steep trail like Extrovert  but Off the Wall at T-line is  fun if not quite as steep, longer too. If there is anything I can do to help you get there I'd be more than glad to help.

 

It is still early and many people who have attended past events have not chimed in yet.

post #47 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Hill Crazie View Post
 

Tyler, if the choice ends up Timberline you should really try to make it. T-line is worth the effort. Much more consistent snow and better tree skiing. All you lose is a steep trail like Extrovert  but Off the Wall at T-line is  fun if not quite as steep, longer too. If there is anything I can do to help you get there I'd be more than glad to help.

 

It is still early and many people who have attended past events have not chimed in yet.

 

Just too far away. BK I can stay with friends, Timberline need to spend extra $$$ for gas and lodging. Plus I am only going to be home three weeks. First week I'm going to visit friends and ski VT/NH. As much as I want to meet up with you guys I only have that limited window to ski and can be to Whiteface almost as fast as Timberline from where I live. BK 2014!!! 

post #48 of 163

My vote is for Blue Knob. Last year was my first time and I definitely want to go back.  Timberline is nearly 2 hours further, so it would entail more time off of work which I can't do since I am already spending a week in Utah with the Divas.

 

If it does end up being at Blue Knob again, I'm in for the Tranquil House again

post #49 of 163

I'm not voting, as that weekend is a race weekend for my charges, and I'll be at Elk Mountain, regardless. Alas...

post #50 of 163

I'm not voting for another reason.

 

Last year I had good times with you guys at the Blue Knob GTG and a midweek trip

with friends earlier to Timberline.

 

We've just moved to Nevada City CA. One hour from Sugar Bowl, 1 1/2 hr from Squaw/Alpine.

Already have a MCP pass and will see some of you at the Mammoth or SLC gatherings.

post #51 of 163

I like both areas a lot, but I voted BK as I like Blue Knob's terrain a bit better.  Plus, BK actually fixed one of their lifts, so it won't take forever to get to the top of the mountain.

 

I do agree that TLine has the better housing, but terrain trumps housing for me. :D

post #52 of 163

Presidents day WE is always bad for ski Instructors.  Busy at home and no discounts.  I might try to make it though.  It would be fun, I am in better shape than I have ever been and my skiing has really come together.

post #53 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
 

Presidents day WE is always bad for ski Instructors.  Busy at home and no discounts.  I might try to make it though.  It would be fun, I am in better shape than I have ever been and my skiing has really come together.

It's the weekend after Presidents Day weekend I believe. 

post #54 of 163
Thread Starter 

Pierre, it is the weekend after Presidents Day. It would be great to see you on the slopes again. Nice to hear you've been taking care of yourself. Please try to make it and don't forget to vote on the venue.

post #55 of 163

A higher likelihood that I will be there the WE after PD.:beercheer:

post #56 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdskier View Post
 

I'm not voting for another reason.

 

Last year I had good times with you guys at the Blue Knob GTG and a midweek trip

with friends earlier to Timberline.

 

We've just moved to Nevada City CA. One hour from Sugar Bowl, 1 1/2 hr from Squaw/Alpine.

Already have a MCP pass and will see some of you at the Mammoth or SLC gatherings.

Congrats on the move John. Nice to be in such close proximity to so many nice areas.  Just stay away from the Applebee's in South Lake Tahoe  LOL

post #57 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
 

Presidents day WE is always bad for ski Instructors.  Busy at home and no discounts.  I might try to make it though.  It would be fun, I am in better shape than I have ever been and my skiing has really come together.

Sounds like you're ready to free the heel and ski for real!

post #58 of 163

As much as I love to ski with you all and and despite my very limited ability to do so, if the gathering is in Canaan Valley, I will spend one of the days at Whitegrass. I hope some of you will be able to come along, but I will go alone if none of you have learned to ski between now and then. I know some of you have the gear. Take some lessons, practice. I'm not good at sports. If I can do it, you can do it. Little hills feel bigger and steeper on nordic gear, if you're into bigger, steeper... If not, nevermind. :)

post #59 of 163

I'm with MikeC - I'd like to explore a bit more at Timberline, though I'll happily attend either location if the group decides otherwise. If it will be Tline, I'll be sure to bring the 4WD vehicle this time... Looking forward to skiing with everybody again!

post #60 of 163

I actually only skied about an hour at Timberline last time while Chance of Snow was in a private lesson.  The rest of the weekend I was with him on the green trails at the bottom.  He's good to go now on blues so we can do laps with everyone this time, perhaps splitting up at the top then reconnecting at the lifts.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Mid-Atlantic Gathering Location - Poll