or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Mid-Atlantic Gathering Location - Poll
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mid-Atlantic Gathering Location - Poll - Page 6

Poll Results: Where should we have the Mid-Atlantic Gathering?

Poll expired: Nov 30, 2013  
  • 47% (16)
    Blue Knob, PA
  • 52% (18)
    Timberline, WV
34 Total Votes  
post #151 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 


And a river runs through it :rotflmao:

Yoakum Run

post #152 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post
 


And a river runs through it :rotflmao:

Yoakum Run

 

Butcha Can't Hide

post #153 of 163

Michel and I are about 65% in for this one.  It mostly depends on being able to borrow my friends 4WD as Michel & I's current ride (Maxima with Z rated tires) is dead in the water when encountering any snow.

 

We would either show Fri/half Sat or Sat/half Sun.  Hope to make it as Timberline would be new for both of us.

post #154 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post
 

Michel and I are about 65% in for this one.  It mostly depends on being able to borrow my friends 4WD as Michel & I's current ride (Maxima with Z rated tires) is dead in the water when encountering any snow.

 

There's usually very little snow on the Seneca Rocks route, with the only worry spot being on the west side (descent) on one pass on Rte. 33/55.    Heck, falling rocks are about as much of a concern on that route as snow is.   

 

Chances are you'd make it to T'line just fine.    

 

Chances are you wouldn't make it from T'line parking up the hill to the actual houses , tho- that's packed polished snow with erratic grit on it. 

post #155 of 163

LS and I are gunna try as long as work scedual works out(and it should)

Cant waite to colour the Canadian run, will have to cheque in with JohnL and get some good cliff hangin time in!!OH Ill tell LS to save some peameal bacon for breakfast!!!

post #156 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post
 

Michel and I are about 65% in for this one.  It mostly depends on being able to borrow my friends 4WD as Michel & I's current ride (Maxima with Z rated tires) is dead in the water when encountering any snow.

 

We would either show Fri/half Sat or Sat/half Sun.  Hope to make it as Timberline would be new for both of us.


Having a 4wd would be nice, but I've driven to Timberline occasionally since 1990 and never owned a 4wd.  In fact, I owned a Maxima for a long time and took it out there a few times with bald regular tires.:o  There is a 90% chance you wouldn't need 4wd on the route through VA and WV and if the last 1/2 mile up to the slopeside houses is real snowy one of us can meet you at the ski area parking lot and shuttle you up;  including myself now that I just bought a 4wd vehicle.:)

In all honesty though, the route you're likely to take from Harrisburg on 33 is pretty darn curvy and I believe you go over two significant ridgelines, so decision to come in reg car could be based on last minute clear weather forecast.

post #157 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post
 


Having a 4wd would be nice, but I've driven to Timberline occasionally since 1990 and never owned a 4wd.  In fact, I owned a Maxima for a long time and took it out there a few times with bald regular tires.:o  There is a 90% chance you wouldn't need 4wd on the route through VA and WV and if the last 1/2 mile up to the slopeside houses is real snowy one of us can meet you at the ski area parking lot and shuttle you up;  including myself now that I just bought a 4wd vehicle.:)

In all honesty though, the route you're likely to take from Harrisburg on 33 is pretty darn curvy and I believe you go over two significant ridgelines, so decision to come in reg car could be based on last minute clear weather forecast.

 

 

Thanks for the support boys & girls and the car borrow looks fairly solid right now.  But believe me when I say our Maxima is an absolute non starter in snow of any kind.  I've got tens of thousands of miles in severe winter driving, so I know how to get it done.  I can barely get the Maxima to the grocery store in 2 inches of snow here in Va Beach flatsville.  But as I said the car borrow looks pretty solid, so things are looking pretty good right now.

post #158 of 163


Yo Jim, check out this and earlier posts in this thread for possible routes to Timberline from the south.

 

Or you can head to Snowshoe and I'll give you directions from there. :devil:

post #159 of 163

I'll post updates here and on DC Ski, but the final climb up to the highlands is now complete. Main obstacle is 2-lane highway from Route 81 to Wardensville (not too bad) and the final construction zone on Rt 93 to Davis.

 

Now, I need to find this Mid A group that LHC was talking about.

post #160 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
 

I'll post updates here and on DC Ski, but the final climb up to the highlands is now complete. Main obstacle is 2-lane highway from Route 81 to Wardensville (not too bad) and the final construction zone on Rt 93 to Davis.

 

Now, I need to find this Mid A group that LHC was talking about.

Here you go:

http://www.epicski.com/groups/show/31/mid-atlantic-gathering-2014

 

If you start a thread in that Group, useful to add something in the title that makes it obvious the thread is about the 2014 Mid-A Gathering.  Anyone can see the threads, but only those who join can post in group threads.

post #161 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Here you go:

http://www.epicski.com/groups/show/31/mid-atlantic-gathering-2014

 

If you start a thread in that Group, useful to add something in the title that makes it obvious the thread is about the 2014 Mid-A Gathering.  Anyone can see the threads, but only those who join can post in group threads.

 

Talked to Rob, joined and posting a thread there now. Thx.

post #162 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
 


Yo Jim, check out this and earlier posts in this thread for possible routes to Timberline from the south.

 

Or you can head to Snowshoe and I'll give you directions from there. :devil:

 

 

Well played my friend:eekThumbs Up

post #163 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post
 

 

 

Well played my friend:eekThumbs Up


Follow us.. we'll get you there......

 

 

 

Seriously though I hope you can make it (also hope we can as well).  It's about time we hooked up to ski and hang out.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › Mid-Atlantic Gathering Location - Poll