I am planning to ski Vail in late December. Though I have done it before and I am not hoping for the bowls or Bluesky Basin to be open, does anyone know what was the earliest bowls open date and when do they open on average during the season.
- itemVail Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 9/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Spring Skiing in ColoRADo! March 17 - 19 Last post on 3/23/17 at 8:00am in Trip Reports
- Conditions + resort advice - Late March 2017 Last post on 3/13/17 at 5:12pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Beautiful Day @ Vail with Mr and Mrs SkiMangoJazz, 3/2/17 Last post on 3/2/17 at 8:21pm in Trip Reports
- Vail Bluebird Day Last post on 3/1/17 at 9:57pm in Trip Reports
- 2017 Geezer Snowbirds Tour Last post on 3/14/17 at 6:22pm in Trip Reports
EpicSki Interview with Patrick Torsell of Ski Cooper: Part 2
Last edited: 1/20/17
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass OptionsLast edited: 10/24/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Vail in Decemberpost #1 of 59/18/13 at 10:23amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 59/18/13 at 2:47pm
Of course no one knows what will happen this year. I've skied Vail over New Years the majority of the years since 1989. I've seen them open as early as late Nov. Based on my rough memory, I'd say the bowls are at least partly open 80% of the time. Once they decide to open one, usually the others open pretty quickly including BS.post #3 of 59/18/13 at 2:57pm
Since 1989, 25th, 50th and 75th percentiles of percent of terrain open at Vail:
Christmas week 72,95,98
Mid-December there were 5 years out of 22 of 26% or less, meaning probably nothing in the Back Bowls. Mid-December you will likely see some but not all of the Back Bowls open.
There's one Thanksgiving at 97%, then 4 others between 40% and 52%.
The bottom line is that early December is pushing it, mid-December is good more often than not.
There are only 2 Christmas weeks in 23 years with no/minimal Back Bowl terrain open. Nonetheless I would avoid that week for crowd and cost factors. Come a week or so before Christmas and get out of there before Dec. 26.post #4 of 59/19/13 at 7:13amThread Starter
thanks for very detailed statistics ! I guess it was my luck to be in Vail during one of those only 2 seasons with no bowls open! Keeping my fingers crossed for this one! I hear you about the costs and crowds, but I wish I could schedule kids school time off myself! On the other hand epic pass is making it affordable.post #5 of 59/19/13 at 1:57pmQuote:I wish I could schedule kids school time off myself!
I raised 2 kids, one a very avid skier. Most destination trips were done at his spring break around first of April, with excellent results. So I usually say, use the spring break as first priority for family trips. If you're doing that and and want more during the typical 2 weeks over Christmas, take the ski trip that puts most of the time before Dec. 26 or after Dec. 31. And finally, if you're in one of those lucky school districts that gets a February week, it's a no-brainer to use that instead of Christmas.
- Vail in December
- 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Who makes the best ski gloves? 1 minute ago
- › Skis you can't or won't part with 7 minutes ago
- › FS: Dynastar Speed Omeglass SL WC with PX15 Bindings - 155 cm 14 minutes ago
- › If you don't wear a helmet, all I can ask is why? 15 minutes ago
- › Stockli Stormrider 107, 183cm 21 minutes ago
- › Powder or corn 25 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 33 minutes ago
- › MA my bump skiing 36 minutes ago
- › Mountains that offer skiing and mountain biking 41 minutes ago
- › How much wax does everyone use? 45 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview