I am planning to ski Vail in late December. Though I have done it before and I am not hoping for the bowls or Bluesky Basin to be open, does anyone know what was the earliest bowls open date and when do they open on average during the season.
- itemVail Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 9/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Where should I go for a ski vacation? [Feb family trip, non-skiing mom, from MA] Last post on 10/8/16 at 6:28am in General Skiing Discussion
- Trip in Feb. Need advice on when to buy passes [family, 4 ski days at Vail, Keystone, Breck] Last post on 9/11/16 at 6:34pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Vail vs Alta/Bird Last post on 9/13/16 at 7:21pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- The "Park City Effect": UT Records Best Skier Visits Last post on 7/27/16 at 8:19pm in Skiing News
- The Bunkhouse, Vail's first and only boutique hostel opening May 26th. Last post on 10/1/16 at 6:15pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain Resort
Vail in December
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Of course no one knows what will happen this year. I've skied Vail over New Years the majority of the years since 1989. I've seen them open as early as late Nov. Based on my rough memory, I'd say the bowls are at least partly open 80% of the time. Once they decide to open one, usually the others open pretty quickly including BS.
Since 1989, 25th, 50th and 75th percentiles of percent of terrain open at Vail:
Christmas week 72,95,98
Mid-December there were 5 years out of 22 of 26% or less, meaning probably nothing in the Back Bowls. Mid-December you will likely see some but not all of the Back Bowls open.
There's one Thanksgiving at 97%, then 4 others between 40% and 52%.
The bottom line is that early December is pushing it, mid-December is good more often than not.
There are only 2 Christmas weeks in 23 years with no/minimal Back Bowl terrain open. Nonetheless I would avoid that week for crowd and cost factors. Come a week or so before Christmas and get out of there before Dec. 26.
thanks for very detailed statistics ! I guess it was my luck to be in Vail during one of those only 2 seasons with no bowls open! Keeping my fingers crossed for this one! I hear you about the costs and crowds, but I wish I could schedule kids school time off myself! On the other hand epic pass is making it affordable.
I raised 2 kids, one a very avid skier. Most destination trips were done at his spring break around first of April, with excellent results. So I usually say, use the spring break as first priority for family trips. If you're doing that and and want more during the typical 2 weeks over Christmas, take the ski trip that puts most of the time before Dec. 26 or after Dec. 31. And finally, if you're in one of those lucky school districts that gets a February week, it's a no-brainer to use that instead of Christmas.
- Vail in December
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 20 minutes ago
- › Demo bindings 37 minutes ago
- › Telluride March 11-18 2017 45 minutes ago
- › Big Bear 2016-2017 54 minutes ago
- › Christmas cancelled, trip moved to mid-Feb. Suggestions please? 58 minutes ago
- › Big Sky 2016-2017 1 hour, 44 minutes ago
- › Ski dimensions advice [2nd season in WA, bought used Solomon Scream W] 1 hour, 59 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 2 hours, 12 minutes ago
- › Ski size question 2 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › All mountain twin tip plus park ski? 2 hours, 30 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer