I am planning to ski Vail in late December. Though I have done it before and I am not hoping for the bowls or Bluesky Basin to be open, does anyone know what was the earliest bowls open date and when do they open on average during the season.
- itemVail Resorttagged by Laurel Hill Crazie, 9/19/13
Related Forum Threads
- Vail starting to ski ragged and dirty Last post on 12/7/16 at 4:55pm in Trip Reports
- Colorado Dec 16-23.. Time to change plans ?? Last post on Yesterday at 7:57 am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Where should I go for a ski vacation? [Feb family trip, non-skiing mom, from MA] Last post on 11/14/16 at 8:42am in General Skiing Discussion
- Trip in Feb. Need advice on when to buy passes [family, 4 ski days at Vail, Keystone, Breck] Last post on 9/11/16 at 6:34pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Vail vs Alta/Bird Last post on 9/13/16 at 7:21pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain ResortLast edited: 6/15/16
Flumserberg is a nice day trip ski resort about an hour train ride from Zurich (or drive). I skied here as a midweek season pass holder for a couple of seasons. Midweek it has small lift lines,...
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
- The Future of Jay Peak and Burke Mountain Resort
Vail in December
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Of course no one knows what will happen this year. I've skied Vail over New Years the majority of the years since 1989. I've seen them open as early as late Nov. Based on my rough memory, I'd say the bowls are at least partly open 80% of the time. Once they decide to open one, usually the others open pretty quickly including BS.
Since 1989, 25th, 50th and 75th percentiles of percent of terrain open at Vail:
Christmas week 72,95,98
Mid-December there were 5 years out of 22 of 26% or less, meaning probably nothing in the Back Bowls. Mid-December you will likely see some but not all of the Back Bowls open.
There's one Thanksgiving at 97%, then 4 others between 40% and 52%.
The bottom line is that early December is pushing it, mid-December is good more often than not.
There are only 2 Christmas weeks in 23 years with no/minimal Back Bowl terrain open. Nonetheless I would avoid that week for crowd and cost factors. Come a week or so before Christmas and get out of there before Dec. 26.
thanks for very detailed statistics ! I guess it was my luck to be in Vail during one of those only 2 seasons with no bowls open! Keeping my fingers crossed for this one! I hear you about the costs and crowds, but I wish I could schedule kids school time off myself! On the other hand epic pass is making it affordable.
I raised 2 kids, one a very avid skier. Most destination trips were done at his spring break around first of April, with excellent results. So I usually say, use the spring break as first priority for family trips. If you're doing that and and want more during the typical 2 weeks over Christmas, take the ski trip that puts most of the time before Dec. 26 or after Dec. 31. And finally, if you're in one of those lucky school districts that gets a February week, it's a no-brainer to use that instead of Christmas.
- Vail in December
- › Can you get custom ski liners for a previous shell? 7 minutes ago
- › driving from Vail to Park City (PCMR) 23 minutes ago
- › Confusion over biomechanics in switch skiing 2 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Early season GS Training (video) 2 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › 2016/17 PNW thread: news, weather, anecdotes, history, gossip and... 2 hours, 36 minutes ago
- › if you were to have just one pair of skis...which ones and why? 2 hours, 50 minutes ago
- › Sun Peaks BC, 2016/17 Season 3 hours, 21 minutes ago
- › 2016: your 1, 2, or 3 ski quiver 3 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › The Narrower Stance? 3 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 3 hours, 56 minutes ago
- › Flumserberg by willyofoz
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Flamingo drill
- › Bamboo over the shoulder drill
- › 2017 K2 iKonic 85 Ti Review
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...