or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › How well does the Atomic Panic do in trees?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How well does the Atomic Panic do in trees?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

Hello all, I am looking at the 2013 Atomic Panic for an all mountain ski. It's on sale right now and it would be a great time to get it. Now I know it does well in powder, park, moguls, and all of that but... My friends tree ski a lot and I was wonder how it does on that? I tried going through the trees with GS race skis( LOL BIG MISTAKE) and I couldn't move at all, it just kept going straight. So i'm wondering how well these do on it. Thanks! :)

post #2 of 11

I would imagine it would be fine, as would the Rossi S3, unless you're a really big person.  If the only ski you have is the GS race ski, then I'd recommend going wider, to 100-105mm underfoot with rocker.  Then you'd also have a good powder ski.  There are a lot of good skis in that range including the Atomic Ritual which is on my list for this year.  I skied it in the trees last year at Big Sky and it was great, good float and easy to turn, plus it holds pretty well on groomers since it has come camber.

post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post
 

I would imagine it would be fine, as would the Rossi S3, unless you're a really big person.  If the only ski you have is the GS race ski, then I'd recommend going wider, to 100-105mm underfoot with rocker.  Then you'd also have a good powder ski.  There are a lot of good skis in that range including the Atomic Ritual which is on my list for this year.  I skied it in the trees last year at Big Sky and it was great, good float and easy to turn, plus it holds pretty well on groomers since it has come camber.

 

I'm at really tiny person ahah. 5'6" 130lbs. I was thinking of 165's for the Atomics. Hmm Atomic Ritual too. okay thanks lol.

post #4 of 11

My wife is 5'5" and only about 115 lbs. She is a good skier that skis all over the mountain. Got her some Atomic Panics as an all-mountain ski (she has fatter powder boards) and after skiing them about 10 days she decided that she really did not like them.  They worked well, but only if she was really pushing them.  She decided they were just too much work to ski most of the time.  She demoed some other skis and ended up trading the Panics in for some 165 cm Line Celebrity 90s, which she loves.  They rip on the hard pack and work well in the bumps and crud.  I believe they have modified the new Celebrities, so they may be different, but I know that the Celebrity 100s had a layer of metal the 90s did not have, which made them considerably stiffer.  Bottom line is that I'm sure she would vote against the Panics and for some Line Celebrity 90s, which have similar dimensions. Hope that is some help.

post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngrungebb91 View Post
\

I'm at really tiny person ahah. 5'6" 130lbs. I was thinking of 165's for the Atomics. Hmm Atomic Ritual too. okay thanks lol.

 

OK, I take back my recommendation for the Ritual.  The shortest length is 174 and I think that, given your size, it would be too much ski.  I think the Rossi S3 would be a good fit for you and you should be able to find some to demo which I think you really need to do.  And, if you're a woman, the S3W has had much nicer graphics than the S3.

post #6 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post
 

 

OK, I take back my recommendation for the Ritual.  The shortest length is 174 and I think that, given your size, it would be too much ski.  I think the Rossi S3 would be a good fit for you and you should be able to find some to demo which I think you really need to do.  And, if you're a woman, the S3W has had much nicer graphics than the S3.

 

The S3 is really out of my price range... and so is that Line 90 that the other guy recommended. The Atomic Panic is $259 on sale right now and for some reason I really really just want to jump on that. I'm a guy and I'm a really agressive skiier since I've only had experience with race skis (and shitty rental all mountains when i used to rent as a kid) I just want to ride the powder of the east (Vermont) and tree skiing with these pair of ski's. I RIP through groomed trails with my race ski's so. That wont be a problem haha.

post #7 of 11

Salomon Rocker 2 90 can be had pretty cheaply, around $300, and is a very good ski.

post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngrungebb91 View Post
 

The Atomic Panic is $259 on sale right now and for some reason I really really just want to jump on that. I'm a guy and I'm a really agressive skiier since I've only had experience with race skis (and shitty rental all mountains when i used to rent as a kid) I just want to ride the powder of the east (Vermont) and tree skiing with these pair of ski's. I RIP through groomed trails with my race ski's so. That wont be a problem haha.

 

The Panic is supposed to be a very good ski for the money, and the tip and tail rocker should make them fairly playful in the trees.  I did a lot of research before buying them for my wife and her problem probably arose from the fact that she did not weigh enough for the length ski she was, and not that the Panics were not good skis.  From the way you describe your skiing they would probably suit your needs.  Besides, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot View Post
 

 

The Panic is supposed to be a very good ski for the money, and the tip and tail rocker should make them fairly playful in the trees.  I did a lot of research before buying them for my wife and her problem probably arose from the fact that she did not weigh enough for the length ski she was, and not that the Panics were not good skis.  From the way you describe your skiing they would probably suit your needs.  Besides, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.

 

Well I'm going to take my chances with them and see how they do, just ordered them ahaha. Thanks for the input. What bindings would you recommend? I would think any old all mountain binding would work. I was looking at the Marker Griffon 90mm.

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngrungebb91 View Post
 

 

Well I'm going to take my chances with them and see how they do, just ordered them ahaha. Thanks for the input. What bindings would you recommend? I would think any old all mountain binding would work. I was looking at the Marker Griffon 90mm.

 

I do not know anything about the Griffs, but I assume you are getting last years to save some $$.  Here is some user info that might be helpful.

 

 

http://www.newschoolers.com/ns/forums/readthread/thread_id/626658/

post #11 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot View Post
 

 

I do not know anything about the Griffs, but I assume you are getting last years to save some $$.  Here is some user info that might be helpful.

 

 

http://www.newschoolers.com/ns/forums/readthread/thread_id/626658/

 

That's correct. Alright thank you man :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › How well does the Atomic Panic do in trees?