or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › One-Oh-Something segment ski to demo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

One-Oh-Something segment ski to demo

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

I'm 5'8" 150lb level 7 skier. Mainly skiing So. Cal. and Mammoth Mtn. I hope to ski Bird/Alta and Squaw this year. I'm hoping to demo a few skis this year and I currently ski a Blizzard 8.0CA and Blizzard Bushwacker 88. I like both of these skis a lot but I might go for a more wider type ski. I'm thinking more than likely the 100-110 segment. a 98 wide ski might be too close to my 88(I know the 80 is close to the 88 too). I still prefer groomed/hardpacked to soft stuff but I might try to be more adventurous this year...

 

Some skis I've researched so far to possibly demo are:

 

1. Armada TST (183L * 102W)

 

2. Blizzard Peacemaker (179L * 104W)

 

3. Rossignol Soul 7 (180L * 106W)

 

4. Salomon Q-105 (181L * 104W)

 

I've always seemed to prefer lighter to heavier skis but I'm not with a wider ski but any initial thoughts or comments on the skis above. I'm sure a majority of these are new so maybe no reviews will be had until later in the ski year. Thanks!!

post #2 of 24

Good list, add the Vagabond and you are set. 

post #3 of 24

Add the Atomic Ritual, 103mm,   Now you're set.;)

post #4 of 24

Your list is a bit divided in that... do you want a twin-tip and jib type ski, or are you looking for something more directional?

 

The first two are jibby twins, the second two are directional.  And if you wanted a twin-tip solly, you'd want the Rocker2 108 in that case instead of the Q105.

 

Ask yourself what you really want to do with this ski and then a bunch of folks here can probably list several good options to consider.

 

Others to throw in the ring would be the 4FRNT Cody and the ON3P Jeronimo and/or Vicik.

post #5 of 24
Thread Starter 

More than likely I'm looking for a NON Twin tip type of ski. I'll know more when I demo but I think I want a ski with NO metal but is pretty good on hardpack, good edge on icy conditions and is pretty good in soft stuff. Maybe I'm asking too much of a 100+ ski but perhaps a 60/40 hardpack type ski or a 50/50 hard to soft ski and it needs to be fairly light and nimble :) 

post #6 of 24
Vagabond, Soul 7
post #7 of 24
I don't think any of those skis are really going to have good edge hold in icy conditions. That's not what they're for. But considering hard pack is definitely part of your equation, I'd probably recommend the El Capo over the Vagabond specifically because it does have metal (they are the same skis otherwise). I was quite fond of the Vagabond in softer conditions but took them out on a re-frozen groomer one morning and swapped skis after only one run.
post #8 of 24
He's 150 lbs.... What do you weight J?
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lott42 View Post
 

More than likely I'm looking for a NON Twin tip type of ski. I'll know more when I demo but I think I want a ski with NO metal but is pretty good on hardpack, good edge on icy conditions and is pretty good in soft stuff. Maybe I'm asking too much of a 100+ ski but perhaps a 60/40 hardpack type ski or a 50/50 hard to soft ski and it needs to be fairly light and nimble :) 

 

Why do you even care about hardpack given the skis that you already have?  It would be silly to use a 105 in those conditions over Blizzard 8, (especially for a L7).  Will it be the main daily driver?    For someone who stays on the groomers and occasionally ventures out off-piste, a 105 ski as a daily driver is an aspirational purchase.  You will be much better served by a 98 ski in that case. Remember, the 105x are still all-arounders, just heavily biased for off-piste and soft snow, so if you stay on the un-groomed and only retreat to the groomers only when the off-trail is blue corrugated ice, then you fit the profile.  It's not quite your case, it seems.   

 

Having said all that... If you insist,  I'll add to the list the best 105 of them all on the hardpack, the Stockli Stormrider 107.   Vagabond is a great ski, but it didn't strike me as light and playful fluffy snow ski, its much more in the daily-driver-handle-anything mold.  If you are stuck on that class, I'd also add the Gotama to the list.  It's not  great daily driver, but should be a rather fine soft snow ski, and maybe better than most for that purpose.  In my limited side-by-side test of 105s it was the most playful and light.  I won't buy it or my quiver, but it may fit into yours.  

post #10 of 24

I'd agree with Alex... but if it's a 10_, I'm thinking the Soul 7 he's aspiring to. :)


Edited by markojp - 9/13/13 at 9:06am
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

He's 150 lbs.... What do you weight J?

 

165.

 

And I should clarify that I'm not *really* recommending the El Capo - it's more of a "if you insist" situation.  Hard pack performance shouldn't be the focus for a ski that wide anyway, right?

 

Sounds to me like the OP would be best suited with a 95 - 100mm ski.

post #12 of 24

If the OP has been happy with the Mag 8,0CA and Bushwacker as as his two main skis, there is no need to get into the stiffer (and heavier, which he doesn't want) Gotama, SR107 or El Capo. His first inclinations along with the Vagabond and Ritual suggestions are enough to try and IMHO you could throw a dart at any of them and not make a bad choice. My one suggestion is if you are leaning to the Soul7 don't wait to demo it, because they will be real tough to find once the snow hits the ground, they are Soul'ed out at the factory level and supplies are limited already, them and the Bonafide have been our top sellers in this early season. We already re ordered  Souls and are into the second batch. 

post #13 of 24

Plus, if you don't like the Soul 7 it should be really easy to sell used for a decent amount given demand.

post #14 of 24
Thread Starter 

No, I haven't tossed out the idea of a 98w ski yet but there are only so many ski's that I might get to demo that I thought I'd perhaps start with a width about 100w ski or so. I realize that a 100 ski is not going to ski like 70-80 ski but I'm trying to narrow down my choices that fit my strengths and what I like to do as a "one ski" quiver for places like Mammoth Mtn. after they get a nice storm and I want to try some runs with a deeper snow pack. Yes, I do prefer hard pack(as of now) but it would be nice to try a ski that can handle deeper snow but still can hold an edge on hard pack.

 

Things I'm looking for

 

No Metal(I think)

Light & Lively

Decent edge grip on hard pack

Can handle some deeper snow

Probably not a twin tip(I've never skied one so I'm not sure)

 

Ski's mentioned that seem to fit some of my criteria above in the 100+

Atomic Ritual(some Titanium. Not sure how it effects weight, etc.)

Nordica Vagabond

Rossignol Soul 7

Salomon Q-105

 

Thanks for the recommendations everybody.

post #15 of 24

You should also consider adding...

 

Blizzard Scout

ON3P Vicik

4FRNT Devestator

 

Don't get too caught up on whether or not a ski has metal.  Different attributes can be achieved with a wide variety of materials.

post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lott42 View Post

 

Things I'm looking for

 

No Metal(I think)

Light & Lively

Decent edge grip on hard pack

Can handle some deeper snow

Probably not a twin tip(I've never skied one so I'm not sure)

 

You're describing Fischer Big Stix. Come in a range of widths, so choose your float, carbon and wood, light n' lively, moderately stiff, considered to have unusually good grip and carving ability for wider skis. Normal camber underfoot, some rocker front and a bit in rear. Excellent fit for a lighter skier like you, even though they don't get the press that other brands do. 

post #17 of 24
Oooooh! Excellent call, beyond! 106!
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lott42 View Post
 

No, I haven't tossed out the idea of a 98w ski yet but there are only so many ski's that I might get to demo that I thought I'd perhaps start with a width about 100w ski or so. I realize that a 100 ski is not going to ski like 70-80 ski but I'm trying to narrow down my choices that fit my strengths and what I like to do as a "one ski" quiver for places like Mammoth Mtn. after they get a nice storm and I want to try some runs with a deeper snow pack. Yes, I do prefer hard pack(as of now) but it would be nice to try a ski that can handle deeper snow but still can hold an edge on hard pack.

 

Things I'm looking for

 

No Metal(I think)

Light & Lively

Decent edge grip on hard pack

Can handle some deeper snow

Probably not a twin tip(I've never skied one so I'm not sure)

 

Ski's mentioned that seem to fit some of my criteria above in the 100+

Atomic Ritual(some Titanium. Not sure how it effects weight, etc.)

Nordica Vagabond

Rossignol Soul 7

Salomon Q-105

 

Thanks for the recommendations everybody.

 

Give the Cham 97 HM and Cham 107 HM a try...

post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

You're describing Fischer Big Stix. Come in a range of widths, so choose your float, carbon and wood, light n' lively, moderately stiff, considered to have unusually good grip and carving ability for wider skis. Normal camber underfoot, some rocker front and a bit in rear. Excellent fit for a lighter skier like you, even though they don't get the press that other brands do. 

 



He's describing the Fischer Watea 106. Awesome ski, IMHO. Demo'd them during the spring. Probably more camber in that ski, than any in the OP's list of choices. In fact if I didn't already own the Rossi S3, I'd ditch them for the Watea 106. Slightly stiffer, higher speed limit, better float, and carves as well. Good in moguls too.
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lott42 View Post
 

No, I haven't tossed out the idea of a 98w ski yet but there are only so many ski's that I might get to demo that I thought I'd perhaps start with a width about 100w ski or so. I realize that a 100 ski is not going to ski like 70-80 ski but I'm trying to narrow down my choices that fit my strengths and what I like to do as a "one ski" quiver for places like Mammoth Mtn. after they get a nice storm and I want to try some runs with a deeper snow pack. Yes, I do prefer hard pack(as of now) but it would be nice to try a ski that can handle deeper snow but still can hold an edge on hard pack.

The text I highlighted is not a description of a one-ski quiver.  One ski quiver is by definition a ski that can ski everything reasonably confidently.  It seems you are looking more for a "gateway to powder" ski.  I'd suggest trying to get something soft with a decent tip rocker, maybe tail rocker and camber under foot.  Actually a Rossi S7 (not Soul7, but the S7 of old, a powder ski) may be a better complement to your existing quiver.  There are plenty of clones of that shape around, they should be available used (and a powder ski is one ski I won't hesitate to buy used, especially after our last two winters:-) and you won't have to pay top$ for a hot new ski.  By the way, beyond's suggestion was right on the money... 

post #21 of 24

We have similar requests, but my wide ski is 78-80. Same weight, etc. Can you describe how the Bliz 8.0ca rides in terms of hard snow initiation and hold? i imagine the slight early rise makes it easier to handle both hardpack and loose 6+ inch soft snow? 

 

Thanks!

post #22 of 24

for how much it pains me to knock a blizzard product IMO the Peacemaker just has very funky rocker to it, the flat tailed flip cored skis are much better IMO. at your weight I would demo

 

185cm Blizzard Scout

and the vagabond that phil mentions

 

 

with that said I feel the Nordica Patron is literally alot of people's one shop stop for a wider powder biased all mountain ski, it dice groomers while still be super fun in the powder we all want to be skiing.

post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post

 

 

with that said I feel the Nordica Patron is literally alot of people's one shop stop for a wider powder biased all mountain ski, it dice groomers while still be super fun in the powder we all want to be skiing.

 

 

^^^ This... for a lot of skiers under 185-90 lbs. ^^^ Amazing edge hold for a wider ski with a short running surface.

post #24 of 24

This is a great thread; it shows the versatility out there and how precise we can really dial in a ski choice.

 

That said, I have to add the Head REV105. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Gear Reviews
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Member Gear Reviews › One-Oh-Something segment ski to demo