or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pivot 14 Overkill?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hi. I'm needing new bindings for the coming season. I'm looking for something durable and with good elastic travel for the knees. I currently have an old pair of markers that I keep breaking that have already cost me a lot in lost ski days. I typically split my time between terrain park, trees, and general all-mountain goofing around. I started skiing last year after snowboarding for years, probably intermediate level but improving rapidly.

 

I am not afraid to spend money to get a quality bindings but that doesn't mean I have money to burn. From my research the Look Pivot 14s or Rossi FKS 140s are the popular choice. However, considering I'm only 140 lbs and currently ride at a 7 DIN it seems like this binding is a bit overkill.

 

Am I wasting my money getting the Look Pivots? My current second choice is the Look PX12 but there seems to be mixed reviews on it vs the Pivots which everyone seems to rave about. I was originally going to get Marker Squires but the internet seems to think these bindings are pretty much the opposite of durable.

 

I'm just sick of breaking my bindings and having to pay to rent skis or sit in the chalet while my friends ride. Any advice regarding a good, durable binding that will help preserve the knees? Are the Pivots overkill? Is the PX12 a reasonable alternative? Any other suggestions. Thanks

post #2 of 15

You have hit the high points in every aspect of your argument, well quite frankly, I wasn't sure if you were trying to sell us ir yourself. The Pivot14 with a DIN range of 6-14 is your only option for a pivot at the moment since there is currently not a (4 to) 12 DIN offered. 


Edited by Philpug - 9/7/13 at 9:08pm
post #3 of 15

Not "overkill" per se. But for my .02, you can probably still find an STH 12 Drivers or 14 on sale for relatively cheap - like here: http://www.evo.com/alpine-ski-bindings/salomon-sth-12-driver-100mm-brakes.aspx#image=58838/291817/salomon-sth-12-driver-ski-bindings-100mm-brakes-2013-white-black-side.jpg  Great bindings for your likely needs. Obviously best to get them with the right brake size... Regardless, you can find these for way less than the Pivots. Unless you are taking decent airs, etc, these should be plenty fine.

 

Heck, you can even get the new STH2 13 for a ton less than the Pivots. Don't get me wrong - the Pivots are awesome. But if you want something a bit cheaper that'll likely meet your needs, these Salomons will do you right.

post #4 of 15
How would the Pivot 14 (DIN 6-14) handle a setting of 7? I've read that there are release problems if you set you binding to less than 2 over the minimum.
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO661 View Post

How would the Pivot 14 (DIN 6-14) handle a setting of 7? I've read that there are release problems if you set you binding to less than 2 over the minimum.

You've read some BS. 

 

The only thing in the OP's 'question' that concerns me at all is his statement of wanting "something... with good elastic travel for the knees." Elastic travel enhances retention by eliminating some release due to initial shock, this can mean the binding is releasing more due to twisting force, which could be argued is much worse for the knees. It is a great binding and suits your needs well, just understand what you are asking for. Additional retention means less release, less release means slightly higher risk to twisting injuries, knee injuries tend to be twisting injuries.

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO661 View Post

How would the Pivot 14 (DIN 6-14) handle a setting of 7? I've read that there are release problems if you set you binding to less than 2 over the minimum.

 

 

It should work very well at that DIN setting.

post #7 of 15

The DIN is 5-14 for the Pivot 14's so running it at 7 would be fine.

post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteroom View Post
 

You've read some BS. 

 

The only thing in the OP's 'question' that concerns me at all is his statement of wanting "something... with good elastic travel for the knees." Elastic travel enhances retention by eliminating some release due to initial shock, this can mean the binding is releasing more due to twisting force, which could be argued is much worse for the knees. It is a great binding and suits your needs well, just understand what you are asking for. Additional retention means less release, less release means slightly higher risk to twisting injuries, knee injuries tend to be twisting injuries.

 

Thanks for all the helpful reply. As to the comment regarding elastic travel as I understand it having some give in the bindings before they release helps prevent pre-release on hard landings and bumps. I was under the impression this was for both safety and performance reasons but perhaps I'm mistaken. Last winter I had mine release very easily landing from a jump and ended up toe-picking and tweaking my knee pretty good. Took four months before it felt normal again and I am eager to do all I can to protect my knees this year from working out more to having better equipment.

 

 

I will have to check out the STH 12 as well. I would assume they are a popular binding which many repair shops would have replacement parts for in a pinch. This was a reason why I was considering the Look PX12 as an alternative because I was told it is easy to find parts for. As someone who seems to break equipment frequently having something that's easy to repair is a huge bonus because nothing sucks more than taking time off work and spending hard earned dough to travel to the mountains and then end up sitting in the chalet after a couple hours because something broke and can't get fixed that day, but anyways I guess now I'm just venting lol

post #9 of 15
don't forget to look for the "driver" sth! you should find good prices on last years since they change it for this year, I got my sth 14 driver for $130 earlier this year and my wifes sth 12 driver for about the same
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloThere View Post

I will have to check out the STH 12 as well. I would assume they are a popular binding which many repair shops would have replacement parts for in a pinch. This was a reason why I was considering the Look PX12 as an alternative because I was told it is easy to find parts for. As someone who seems to break equipment frequently having something that's easy to repair is a huge bonus because nothing sucks more than taking time off work and spending hard earned dough to travel to the mountains and then end up sitting in the chalet after a couple hours because something broke and can't get fixed that day, but anyways I guess now I'm just venting lol

 

 

How many bindings have you broken?    Not being snarky, genuinely curious.      I read your top post, and the primary issue seems to be the age of the binding?

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post
 

 

 

How many bindings have you broken?    Not being snarky, genuinely curious.      I read your top post, and the primary issue seems to be the age of the binding?

Two, both within the last quarter of the season when I started jumping more. I have no doubt that age of the binding is a factor but in my research of bindings it also seems like many people aren't impressed with the durability of some of the Marker bindings, particularly for park riding. I was originally going to get the Marker Squire because they were affordable, light, and looked cool (I'm vain). However I was told if I would probably break these in short order and to look at the Look Pivots. Long story short I was confused about whether I really needed to splurge for some Pivots or if they were too much binding for me and to see if there were other good alternatives before I started this thread.

 

Thanks to the replies here I think I'm going to go looking around for some of the STH 12 Drivers first before I consider dropping a wad of cash on a pair of Pivots.

post #12 of 15
post #13 of 15
post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HelloThere View Post

 

- I am not afraid to spend money to get a quality bindings but that doesn't mean I have money to burn. From my research the Look Pivot 14s or Rossi FKS 140s are the popular choice. However, considering I'm only 140 lbs and currently ride at a 7 DIN it seems like this binding is a bit overkill.

 

-  Thanks

Same weight class as you, 5'6.5" / 295 BSL and i ski a Pivot 14 at 5.5 DIN setting.

Are they not delivering the same amount of elasticity midway or more up it's DIN range and would i be better served by a lower DIN range Solomon Driver toe series? I asked those questions somewhere here last season and i still don't know.

Of the current crop of alpine bindings, would i get them again for another ski in the quiver, yes probably...old habits. 

post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post
 

 

Start Haus has some Sth14's for the same price but I would spend the $55 and get the Sth2 for $229.00

 

 

Thanks for finding those deals, they good prices. Unfortunately the shipping/duties to Canada is $55 which means I'd be paying just about full price for which I could get the STH2. High shipping costs generally make it difficult to get online deals in Canada. I think I will have to go sleuthing in the local shops to see what stock they have left of last years STH otherwise I will probably get the STH2 13s assuming CAD retail price isn't too much higher.

 

Reading this thread http://www.epicski.com/t/119404/preview-review-2014-salomon-sth2-binding-series they look pretty good.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion