Just a thought, Jackson Hole is about to get some snow over the next week, if you are into 3 or so feet of powder.
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAlpine Meadows Ski Resorttagged by yonas, 9/10/13
- brandBear Valleytagged by quant2325, 1/9/14
- itemDodge Ridge Ski Areatagged by quant2325, 1/9/14
- itemHeavenlytagged by Cirquerider, 11/22/13
- itemHomewood Mountain Resorttagged by quant2325, 1/9/14
- itemMammothtagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
- itemMammoth: The Sierra Legendtagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
- itemMt. Rose - Ski Tahoetagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
- itemNorthstar-at-Tahoetagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
- brandSquaw Valleytagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13More
- itemSquaw Valley USAtagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- 2012 / 13 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Thread Last post on 9/9/13 at 5:07pm in General Skiing Discussion
- 2014 / 15 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Last post on 9/11/15 at 1:15pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Resorts near San Fran [family trip from New Zealand] Last post on 9/24/14 at 6:45pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Spending Christmas in Sacramento Last post on 10/23/13 at 12:38pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- First Time To Ski Lake Tahoe - Need Advice! Last post on 2/24/13 at 6:55pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: Yesterday
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A PictorialLast edited: 9/21/13
- Squaw Valley Unofficial GuideLast edited: 7/17/15
- An Unvarnished Guide to Dining at SquawLast edited: 1/16/13
- Mammoth Mountain, Eastern Sierra, CALast edited: 1/31/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
2013 / 14 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke - Page 27post #781 of 21121/10/14 at 9:57am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #782 of 21121/10/14 at 12:00pm
so after tomorrow Im laid off until it snow, time to tighten down the finances.
Heavenly is bouncing back from the holiday crowds pretty good, skied a couple hours this morning, got some good groomers in and am now heading down to Carson to ride. The weather channel was there on top of the tram shooting and interviewing on a global warming feature. Also a bear laying in the sun about 30 feet from the racer folks down on World Cup, he looked comfy.post #783 of 21121/10/14 at 12:09pmQuote:
Jackson Hole is about 2 hours more and has a whole lot better snow than Utah right now. I'd say its worth the extra two hours.
For anyone with a full Squaw Pass, you get 50% off lift tickets at Jackson Hole as part of the Mountain Collective deal.post #784 of 21121/10/14 at 11:50pmThis looks like the second year in a row with friends and I made plans to ski Tahoe and had to go someplace else, we were coming on Feb.
If there is not enough snow to cover the steep places, I see no reason to go anywhere. last year we went to Snowbird, Alta, and they had half the snow we had at home, all the good stuff was unskiable.
Last week at Mt. Hood Meadows, here in Oregon we were skiing on just the trails on two feet of ice, with two inches of powder on top, it was ugly.
This week what a difference, yesterday it looked like winter we had got a good dumping of snow, we were skiing nice powder, and we are going to get two to three feet more this weekend; Monday will be the day. I asked to send some snow your way, so if it comes you can thank me by showing me and my friends some good powder stashes when we come to Squaw.post #785 of 21121/11/14 at 1:13am
LakeTahoeNews are after stories about businesses adapting to the no-snow. If anyone wants some publicity, ask for Kae.
Mt Rose has a $98 deal for January that sounds like 2 nights for 2 adults and 2 lift tix for $98 Sunday-Thursday, $138 Fri-Sundaypost #786 of 21121/11/14 at 8:00amQuote:Originally Posted by snoseek
so after tomorrow Im laid off until it snow, time to tighten down the finances.
Heavenly is bouncing back from the holiday crowds pretty good, skied a couple hours this morning, got some good groomers in and am now heading down to Carson to ride. The weather channel was there on top of the tram shooting and interviewing on a global warming feature. Also a bear laying in the sun about 30 feet from the racer folks down on World Cup, he looked comfy.
Yeah, we had a masters slalom at heavenly yesterday and the bear played about and watched the first run, then decided to walk across and take a closer look as we were doing the second run inspection! Sauntered across 2 gates above me....post #787 of 21121/11/14 at 11:34ampost #788 of 21121/11/14 at 12:14pmpost #789 of 21121/11/14 at 12:55pmpost #790 of 21121/11/14 at 1:06pmThread Starterpost #791 of 21121/11/14 at 2:02pmQuote:
Very cool. Wish I could have seen that.post #792 of 21121/11/14 at 2:06pm
Here ya go
http://www.epicski.com/t/113207/picture-of-the-day/1050#post_1669895post #793 of 21121/11/14 at 2:16pm
And here's the news story about it.post #794 of 21121/11/14 at 2:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by near nyquist
Here ya go
yup! And the guy in the black jacket/red helmet, 1 gate down is me .....post #795 of 21121/11/14 at 3:13pmWow at least you were on skis, you could have out run the bear, the guys standing there not so, mostly they do not want to bother anyone. I thought the bear would be sleeping this time of year. We have bears come around our place, we can't leave garbage out.
I keep reading this topic as i keep hoping you guys will get some snow, so i do not have to cancel my trip in the first week of Feb, but it does not look good. Sending my snow wishes your way.
It can change over night, last Monday I was skiing on two feet of ice, then it dumped, came in wet too make the snow stick, and got dry and fluffy. e skied fresh powder on Friday. Thsi is our weekend weather report. You can always come here.
Snow showers with widespread blowing snow. Steady temperature around 26. Windy, with a west southwest wind around 55 mph, with gusts as high as 80 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible.
Tonight Snow showers with widespread blowing snow. Low around 20. Wind chill values as low as -1. Windy, with a west wind 45 to 55 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.
Sunday Snow. High near 31. Wind chill values as low as -1. Windy, with a west wind around 44 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible.
Sunday Night Snow. Low around 26. Windy, with a west wind 39 to 41 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.post #796 of 21121/11/14 at 3:20pmpost #797 of 21121/11/14 at 3:30pmQuote:
:) I was glad I wasn't referee yesterday....couldnt find anything in the rule book about whether a bear in the course is justification for a rerun or not....
The really strange thing is that after living in Tahoe for 7 years this is the first time i have actually seen a bear here in the flesh! Lots of them about and I regularly find bear poop in the yard, my neighbor gets them on his deck too frequently, but I have not actually come across one before!post #798 of 21121/11/14 at 4:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by ScotsSkier
I was glad I wasn't referee yesterday....couldnt find anything in the rule book about whether a bear in the course is justification for a rerun or not....
The really strange thing is that after living in Tahoe for 7 years this is the first time i have actually seen a bear here in the flesh! Lots of them about and I regularly find bear poop in the yard, my neighbor gets them on his deck too frequently, but I have not actually come across one before!
I had 4 on the front porch over the Summer, mother and 3 cubs
Never encountered one skiing though.
This is shaping up to be one crazy winterpost #799 of 21121/11/14 at 6:27pmpost #800 of 21121/11/14 at 6:40pmpost #801 of 21121/11/14 at 6:43pmpost #802 of 21121/11/14 at 10:05pmpost #803 of 21121/12/14 at 5:05amQuote:
SO true, If you look closer you will see it is a snowboarder. There are a number of snowboarders who have it together , but there are those that don't. some snowboarders that sit on the run like to sit where it is easier to get up, so the pick a steeper spot. This steeper spot is often on the other side of a roll in a slope, so you come over the roll and there are a few of them blocking the trail. Often you don't see them until you are right upon them. As I have to make a hard turn to avoid them I make sure I give them a good spray of snow. When I am with a pack of skiers and snowboarders even the snowboarders will cover them in snow.
Last year there was a woman on a snowboard sitting on the side of the trail, out of the way and in a safe place. Me and a friend were headed for a steep bowl off of that trial and had to make a had turn to get to it. I did not know but my friend who was right behind me said I covered her in snow, then as he was committed to the turn did the same. had I seen her I would have avoided covering her in snow.
One time I came over a roll that went around a corner n the slope a:devil:nd found two skiers that took off their skis and were rolling around in the snow making out. I had to turn hard to avoid them, I stopped and informed them of how dangerous it was, I wish I could have given them a good spray of snow.
Edited by tomfifield - 1/12/14 at 5:21ampost #804 of 21121/12/14 at 6:29ampost #805 of 21121/12/14 at 6:46ampost #806 of 21121/12/14 at 8:36amQuote:
I skied Sierra midweek and it was really thin and lots of pebbles to small rocks. I think they need more than 3". You just won't see the rock before you hit it now. Looked like they weren't making now anywhere other than Broadway/Easy Street.post #807 of 21121/12/14 at 10:44ampost #808 of 21121/12/14 at 10:51ampost #809 of 21121/12/14 at 12:14pmpost #810 of 21121/12/14 at 12:27pmSquaw has the "unpowder" powder day, upper mountain is covered in thin dense wind-buffed snow. Given what we had before this is pretty good. The bad thing is that the icy mogul tops are sticking through the snow in many places and of course rocks are not far below. There was plenty of fun to have in the morning, a lot of which required some familiarity with skiing through saplings. Overall, not bad at all.
This thread is locked
- 2013 / 14 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A Pictorial
- › Best Budget Skiing in North America? 3 minutes ago
- › AirBnB and VRBO Versus Ski Town Zoning Ordinances 4 minutes ago
- › Terrain Based Instruction for Beginners - Is it new? Why is it... 12 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 28 minutes ago
- › How many sizes of skis will my child go through? 43 minutes ago
- › ski signs trail marking 49 minutes ago
- › The Sugarloaf (MI) saga continues 55 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 57 minutes ago
- › Winter Park 4 pack lift tickets? 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › FS: K2 Shreditor 102 1 hour, 5 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer