Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAlpine Meadows Ski Resorttagged by yonas, 9/10/13
- brandBear Valleytagged by quant2325, 1/9/14
- itemDodge Ridge Ski Areatagged by quant2325, 1/9/14
- itemHeavenlytagged by Cirquerider, 11/22/13
- itemHomewood Mountain Resorttagged by quant2325, 1/9/14
- itemMammothtagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
- itemMammoth: The Sierra Legendtagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
- itemMt. Rose - Ski Tahoetagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
- itemNorthstar-at-Tahoetagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
- brandSquaw Valleytagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13More
- itemSquaw Valley USAtagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- 2012 / 13 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Thread Last post on 9/9/13 at 5:07pm in General Skiing Discussion
- 2014 / 15 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Last post on 9/11/15 at 1:15pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Resorts near San Fran [family trip from New Zealand] Last post on 9/24/14 at 6:45pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Spending Christmas in Sacramento Last post on 10/23/13 at 12:38pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- First Time To Ski Lake Tahoe - Need Advice! Last post on 2/24/13 at 6:55pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A PictorialLast edited: 9/21/13
- Squaw Valley Unofficial GuideLast edited: 7/17/15
- An Unvarnished Guide to Dining at SquawLast edited: 1/16/13
- Mammoth Mountain, Eastern Sierra, CALast edited: 1/31/16
Flumserberg is a nice day trip ski resort about an hour train ride from Zurich (or drive). I skied here as a midweek season pass holder for a couple of seasons. Midweek it has small lift lines,...
For any east coast skiers this is like Mad River Glen with wider slopes and big drops to jump off of along with skiing between the trees. Just an all out amazing ski area. Simple and great...
I really love this place, it doesn't have the crowds that the other places around Ottawa have, but this is a legit ski place and is one of those hidden gems that hardcore ski guys/gals love. They...
Good for high volumn, pronated feet, i.e: This is the anti-matter Lange XLR/Banshe/Comp but still very good for people with wider, flatter, lower arched feet who needed or wanted a stiffer boot....
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
2013 / 14 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke - Page 71post #2101 of 21129/20/14 at 4:56pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2102 of 21129/20/14 at 9:26pm
The smoke came back this afternoon, although no ash or charcoal rain. Ironman tomorrow. Forecast looks pretty good for some rain, east or light winds so hopefully the fire activity will be light and smoke not an issue. Now over 5000 firefighters on it. If and when the fire gets near the crest the terrain will be a lot less rugged and more accessible than the depths of the American River canyon and with a lot less fuel. It seems like they let it run up the canyon as long as it wasn't threatening homes in that direction. But I have no firefighting experience, so what do I know?post #2103 of 21129/21/14 at 9:19am
Tahoe Ironman cancelled due to unhealthy air quality. Grey skies this morning in SLT but hard to tell how much is smoke & how much is overcast . Definitely not as bad as yesterday afternoon which was really the first time much smoke got over this way. The wind is almost nil from the North, so hopefully this will allow firefighters to make some progress in controlling this sucker. Only a few drops of rain yesterday & last night, supposed to have a chance for more today.
These shots are from a few days ago while the SW winds were strong & driving the fire toward Truckee...
Vibes to all effected,
JFpost #2104 of 21129/21/14 at 9:39am
drizzling very lightly at Donner Lake and wind dead calm, haze bad enough I can't see across the lake, but no ash or charcoal falling. Haven't heard any thunder which is good news--despite some people concerned the King Fire will affect Squawpine or Truckee the biggest risk is probably a new lightning sparked fire.post #2105 of 21129/21/14 at 3:11pmpost #2106 of 21129/22/14 at 11:35pm
Easy to see why the Ironman got cancelled...
South easterly winds in early afternoon on Saturday 2014-09-20 show how wide the
front of King Fire is near Lake Tahoe, sending the smoke out of the area. Winds shift
dramatically out of the west and blow smoke across the lake in this time lapse video.post #2107 of 21129/23/14 at 12:25ampost #2108 of 21129/23/14 at 8:54am
Heavenly has a webcam midpoint of their gondola run offering live and time lapse views of the lake top of this page...
The camera's looking northwest - Tahoe Keys and Desolation Wilderness on the left.post #2109 of 21129/23/14 at 12:53pm
Thanks jc-ski for Heavenly cam link. smoke lingers at north end of lake.
There is a Red Flag Warning in the King Fire area Tue & Wed (erratic SW winds, hot, low humidity etc)
This can allow fire to start moving more toward Squaw Valley or Truckee.
They say Squaw is not in danger.post #2110 of 21129/23/14 at 5:30pmQuote:
Seems to be a lot of this kind of alarmism.
Last couple of mornings have been pretty clear, with smoke rolling in mid day. Tomorrow maybe not so clear depending on what the wind does tonight.
They've been working hard on the closest hot spot with a 100% line and water dumps. The winds will test the line. To the north toweard 80 the fire would be moving into a 2001 burn, with much less fuel. To the northeast towards squaw and alpine there is a lot of rock and barren ground.This stuff is from inciweb.
My uneducated opinion: There wasn't much they could do with that 10 mile run last week--up the very deep Rubicon River canyon with no real access or more importantly egress in an emergency, plus no threatened structures in the canyon and the houses near 50 were the priority. Now that the manpower has more than tripled and the French Meadows area is accessible by road from the north they can work hard on the northeast front of the fire--they have been building line between French Meadows and Hell Hole Reservoirs.
Edited by oldgoat - 9/23/14 at 10:24pmpost #2111 of 21129/26/14 at 10:49am
Tahoe got some much needed rain yesterday, with more forecast through the weekend. That and cooler temps have helped get the King fire more under control, although smoke is still an issue...
There was a smallish fire that started separately closer to South Lake Tahoe, but looks like the fire fighters got to it pretty quickly and it is contained...
Here's hoping we're leaning into a wet fall/winter, for many reasons! ;-)post #2112 of 21129/26/14 at 11:05amThread Starter
Snow in the forecast this weekend. Could be a dusting or several inches depending on the model. We'll see. Either way, good for the fire.
And on that note, time for next year's thread...
Edited by JayT - 9/26/14 at 1:34pm
This thread is locked
- 2013 / 14 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A Pictorial
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 2 minutes ago
- › The Narrower Stance? 2 minutes ago
- › Car Camping - Drying Gear (without power outlets) 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for fellow M.A.X. passer's in Boston area... 12 minutes ago
- › 2017 Nordica Enforcer 100 185 w/ 2017 Marker Griffons $650 12 minutes ago
- › Best Ski Apps 14 minutes ago
- › Intermediate Zone planning thread. 21 minutes ago
- › Winter tires - which model to choose ? 22 minutes ago
- › 184 Kastle MX84 Brand New 25 minutes ago
- › Monster 88's: to pull the trigger? 28 minutes ago
- › Flumserberg by willyofoz
- › Kirkwood Mountain Resort by Debbie Burke
- › Mont Sainte Marie by Charles J White
- › 1988 Salomon SX91 Equipe by aarrkk
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › The Ins and Outs of Proper Layering
- › 2017 Smith ChromaPop - It's Basically...
- › EpicSki Interview with Jess McMillan
- › Epic Ski Image of the Month Contest Terms and...
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis