+1 for Kirkwood
Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAlpine Meadows Ski Resorttagged by yonas, 9/10/13
- brandBear Valleytagged by quant2325, 1/9/14
- itemDodge Ridge Ski Areatagged by quant2325, 1/9/14
- itemHeavenlytagged by Cirquerider, 11/22/13
- itemHomewood Mountain Resorttagged by quant2325, 1/9/14
- itemMammothtagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
- itemMammoth: The Sierra Legendtagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
- itemMt. Rose - Ski Tahoetagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
- itemNorthstar-at-Tahoetagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
- brandSquaw Valleytagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13More
- itemSquaw Valley USAtagged by Trekchick, 11/9/13
Related Forum Threads
- 2012 / 13 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Thread Last post on 9/9/13 at 5:07pm in General Skiing Discussion
- 2014 / 15 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke Last post on 9/11/15 at 1:15pm in General Skiing Discussion
- Resorts near San Fran [family trip from New Zealand] Last post on 9/24/14 at 6:45pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Spending Christmas in Sacramento Last post on 10/23/13 at 12:38pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- First Time To Ski Lake Tahoe - Need Advice! Last post on 2/24/13 at 6:55pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A PictorialLast edited: 9/21/13
- Squaw Valley Unofficial GuideLast edited: 7/17/15
- An Unvarnished Guide to Dining at SquawLast edited: 1/16/13
- Mammoth Mountain, Eastern Sierra, CALast edited: 1/31/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
2013 / 14 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke - Page 64post #1891 of 21124/22/14 at 11:37am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1892 of 21124/22/14 at 11:58ampost #1893 of 21124/22/14 at 12:54pm
For the hikers, Sonora and Ebbetts passes have opened. Sonora temporarily closed for the snow yesterday, but it's always fun to get up on those passes early after they have opened.post #1894 of 21124/22/14 at 2:09pm
Phew, this year was only the 2nd worst. http://snowbrains.com/lake-tahoe-2nd-worst-snow-year-record/post #1895 of 21124/22/14 at 3:47pmThread Starter
^^ Haha. Actually, though, I'd say this season was better than last because at least there was more than one powder day after Christmas. 4 of my last 5 ski days were on 8" or more of fresh, so I'm not nearly as frustrated heading into summer. Last year was brutal.
I'd say it was a good season all things considered.post #1896 of 21124/22/14 at 7:36pmQuote:
Not new. Kirkwood has been scheduled to be open through 4/27 for a long time (months). Too bad it's a long drive from where you live. My friend is using my last two $59 buddy passes Fri/Sun, When I called Kirkwood said the SWAF tickets have been cut to $60 and I still have those.Quote:Originally Posted by Paul Lutes
OK handicappers: which resort has better odds of soft snow (either new, ripe corn, or both!) for tomorrow (Wednesday) - Kirkwood or Squaw? Looks like K'wood got a little more fresh last night than Squaw, but the forcaste indicates Squaw might get more than K'wood today (almost identical temps)?? Last resort day of the year - trying to optimize here.
I agree with previous posters that Kirkwood will be better. You will not get corn one day after 5-6" fell at Kirkwood, while you could find it a day after an inch fell at Squaw. But Squaw is not running lifts with much of the right exposure for corn and you have to download Funitel at end of day (or to get to Wildflour for lunch assuming they are still open). Your main choice is lifts and 6-Cornice, 10-Wall and 11-Reut, the good lifts still running at Kirkwood and IMHO add up to more than Siberia, Shirley Lake and Granite Chief, the good lifts running at Squaw.
My dilemma is where to go on Sat. My Tahoe Value Pass is blacked out so Kirkwood wants $52 for me to ski there while Squaw is $50 as other passholder. But I'm staying at South Tahoe and if Emerald Bay closes due to snow, it's too much farther to go around E side of lake to Squaw. Plus if they really do get enough snow, Alpine and/or Squaw could be overrun with passholders. Another first world problem.post #1897 of 21124/22/14 at 9:22pm
Oops, I misread a report. Not a change,as pointed out by @tseeb.
Kirkwood,as planned operates this weekpost #1898 of 21124/23/14 at 10:39ampost #1899 of 21124/23/14 at 2:27pmpost #1900 of 21124/23/14 at 2:47pmThread Starterpost #1901 of 21124/23/14 at 4:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by tseeb
My dilemma is where to go on Sat. My Tahoe Value Pass is blacked out so Kirkwood wants $52 for me to ski there while Squaw is $50 as other passholder. But I'm staying at South Tahoe and if Emerald Bay closes due to snow, it's too much farther to go around E side of lake to Squaw. Plus if they really do get enough snow, Alpine and/or Squaw could be overrun with passholders. Another first world problem.
Kirkwood was absolutely sublime today - hard to imagine Squaw being any better. Seems like your argument for me applies equally to you, especially if you're staying in Southshore. If I wasn't on call over the weekend, I'd definitely head to K'wood, especially with the new snow forecast.post #1902 of 21124/23/14 at 9:46pm
Good to hear Kirkwood worked well for you today. I will be there for free on my pass Friday and Sunday, but it looks like my choice will be between Alpine or Squaw on Saturday. The difference in distance is not that much as Google maps shows 35.5 miles to Kirkwood vs 38 to Alpine and 39 to Squaw (assuming Emerald Bay stays open) from where I stay in So. Tahoe. Google maps does say it's about 15 minutes longer to Alpine or Squaw, but my experience is only about 10 minutes more with light traffic and some snow on road. Plus I have 6 days at Kirkwood this year, all in the last two months and many more in the previous two years vs. a lot fewer in last three years at Alpine or Squaw. Also my friend, who cannot ski all black runs all day would rather have the variety. PM me if anyone will be around and wants to get together.
Edited by tseeb - 4/23/14 at 10:28pmpost #1903 of 21124/24/14 at 9:32ampost #1904 of 21124/24/14 at 9:36amQuote:
We'll be at Squaw, probably skiing with some of the gang from the Hot Dog Reunion.post #1905 of 21124/24/14 at 4:29pmpost #1906 of 21124/24/14 at 5:53pmI skied Squaw today after skiing Kirkwood the last three days. While it was nice to have fun enjoying a different experience, I found that Kirkwood has much better overall coverage than Squaw.
Both areas should feel a whole lot better in a day or so.post #1907 of 21124/24/14 at 6:55pmQuote:Originally Posted by JayT
Certainly looked that way on Instagram...
by the end of the morning there were a bunch of tracks in extra, extra alternate, and one set in chimney (see the link in Trekchicks post). Pretty ballsy considering how low the coverage was and 6 inches of dust on crust.post #1908 of 21124/25/14 at 7:50ampost #1909 of 21124/25/14 at 7:55ampost #1910 of 21124/25/14 at 8:28ampost #1911 of 21124/25/14 at 9:43ampost #1912 of 21124/25/14 at 3:04pmpost #1913 of 21124/25/14 at 3:36pmpost #1914 of 21124/25/14 at 3:42pmpost #1915 of 21124/25/14 at 4:05pmpost #1916 of 21124/25/14 at 4:37pmThread StarterQuote:
It's not uncommon for those resorts to get completely different snow totals - it's not like they're in the same storm path. In fact, they almost never get the same amount.post #1917 of 21124/25/14 at 5:06pm
Kirkwood's coop cooper is reportng his is 18". Squaw and Kirkwood need a impartial judge, and I nominate Ron Jeremy
Amazing day out here, Still snowing hard, 14" to 18" with more on the way if you take a gander @the radar....
Temps 21@the summit with 27@the base, winds 21 out of the SW, Roads as reported by Cal Trans @1500 are R1 at this time....
Tomorrow is going to be all time
Thank you Mother Nature we all needed this!
Cooppost #1918 of 21124/25/14 at 5:47pmDon't know where you got 16" for Squaw. Their website and email I got this morning said 7" at Squaw and 8" at Alpine. Kirkwood had 6-8" in parking lot when I arrived about 930 and another 6 fell during day. And it was empty especially in PM. Snowing hard when we got to So Tahoe about 530 but not sticking to roads except coming down Luther Passpost #1919 of 21124/25/14 at 5:59pmpost #1920 of 21124/25/14 at 6:08pm
This thread is locked
- 2013 / 14 Tahoe Weather, Discussion & Stoke
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Squaw Valley & Alpine Meadows - A Pictorial
- › New Instructional Video: JF Beaulieu, Andreas Spettel & Nadine... 16 seconds ago
- › Demo bindings 6 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 9 minutes ago
- › Where to ski to see majestic mountains out West (for intermediate... 13 minutes ago
- › 5-year plans for Alta and Snowbasin 22 minutes ago
- › Recommendation allmountain skis [to replace Armada TST] 23 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 34 minutes ago
- › Killington Opens tomorrow (October 25th) 37 minutes ago
- › Steelers Baby! 38 minutes ago
- › "The only people who want to carve any more..." 41 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer