or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Looking to try Steamboat 'on the cheap' this Spring
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking to try Steamboat 'on the cheap' this Spring

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I've read they have nice lift discounts for the last two weeks, starting April 1.  Is this true for '14 too, and are there comparable deals on April lodging in town?

 

Thanks!!

post #2 of 15
Steamboat wouldn't be my first choice for an April ski trip. Low elevation and poor exposure.

Lot's of places will be offering deals in April.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 

what do you mean by 'exposure'?

post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by berbes View Post
 

what do you mean by 'exposure'?

The aspect(N,S,E,W) of the slope ....ie Most of Steamboat is not north facing slopes which is generally where you want to be in the spring

post #5 of 15
Yeah steamboat in april = not so great.
post #6 of 15

Aspen has great hotel deals in April. Under $100 in some cases.

The trick is to get discounted lift tickets.

Snowbird has great April Specials. I have been there in April 3 years in a row.

Great Corn Snow. High Elevation Resort

I talked to Steamboat last year about April discounts.

They said they dont make final decisions until March.

The worst the snow year the more of better offers.

Steamboat is a great place. It still maybe worth going to

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGASkiDawg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by berbes View Post
 

what do you mean by 'exposure'?

 

The aspect(N,S,E,W) of the slope ....ie Most of Steamboat is not north facing slopes which is generally where you want to be in the spring

Oh. I thought you meant the second bullet item under 1975:

 

http://www.coloradoskihistory.com/history/timelines/1970.html

 

 

(OK not really, but come on: Steamboat, spring, exposure...it was just lying there.)

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

Steamboat wouldn't be my first choice for an April ski trip. Low elevation and poor exposure.

 

Along those lines: when does Steamboat usually start to turn not-so-good?

 

I know, it all depends on the year, etc., but I am thinking about a mid-March trip with my daughter; could even that be a problem?

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddanks View Post
 
Along those lines: when does Steamboat usually start to turn not-so-good?

 

I know, it all depends on the year, etc., but I am thinking about a mid-March trip with my daughter; could even that be a problem?

Hey there, ddanks!  This is a thread from last season about a spring break trip that includes comments about Steamboat.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/118810/best-us-spring-break-family-trip-location

 

Can also PM Finndog.  Steamboat is his home-away-from-home during the ski season.

 

I think you and your daughter would love skiing at Big Sky.

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post
 

Hey there, ddanks!  This is a thread from last season about a spring break trip that includes comments about Steamboat.

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/118810/best-us-spring-break-family-trip-location

 

Can also PM Finndog.  Steamboat is his home-away-from-home during the ski season.

 

I think you and your daughter would love skiing at Big Sky.

 

Hi back at ya! Thanks for the link --- I had forgotten about that thread. And Big Sky is definitely also on the short list. It's frustrating to have to choose! :)

post #11 of 15
Quote:

Along those lines: when does Steamboat usually start to turn not-so-good?

 

I know, it all depends on the year, etc., but I am thinking about a mid-March trip with my daughter; could even that be a problem? 

Yes it can.  I'm not saying it will, but there is a significant probability.   This would be a dumb decision not so much because we know Steamboat will be bad but because mid-March is still consistently good at so many alternative choices, including the vast majority in Colorado.

 

In the thread reference above, the OP seemed to hone in on Snowmass and Telluride, both excellent choices. At the last minute he chose Jackson????  With a low intermediate hesitant 12-year-old daughter and a "good sport" novice wife????  I know there was a big warm-up in that mid-March timeframe last year, and I suspect that trip was not what it could have been at Snowmass or Telluride.

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

Yes it can.  I'm not saying it will, but there is a significant probability.   This would be a dumb decision not so much because we know Steamboat will be bad but because mid-March is still consistently good at so many alternative choices, including the vast majority in Colorado.

 

Very helpful info --- this is the point of planning (& asking questions of the Bears...)!

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Crocker View Post
 

In the thread reference above, the OP seemed to hone in on Snowmass and Telluride, both excellent choices. At the last minute he chose Jackson????  With a low intermediate hesitant 12-year-old daughter and a "good sport" novice wife????  I know there was a big warm-up in that mid-March timeframe last year, and I suspect that trip was not what it could have been at Snowmass or Telluride.

Turned out that the OP who went to JH had a great time.  His wife turned into someone who enjoys skiing thanks to the JH ski school.  So for that family, it was the right decision.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKS View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marznc View Post

For JH, might get some ideas from this thread from a few years ago:
http://www.epicski.com/t/85539/jackson-hole-for-beginner-transitioning-to-intermediate

ADKS took his wife and daughter to JH and they had a ball.  His wife was lukewarm to skiing before that ski vacation.  I thought he did a TR but can't find it.  I suggest you send a PM (Private Messages to the left of where you Log Out).  Note that there is a bus that makes going over to Targhee for a day pretty easy.

Yes, I took my family to Jackson last March and had a wonderful time. My wife was a non-skier, and my 12-year-old daughter is OK, but incredibly cautious. Although Jackson was on the top of my personal ski list, I was worried that it wouldn't be so great for beginners. I was wrong. While there is limited green terrain, and it is concentrated towards the bottom off of one lift, the ski school was excellent. My wife actually learned how to ski and, more importantly, enjoyed it. By the end of the trip, she was skiing blues on Apres Vous, which is plenty of vertical for a beginner. They are definitely steeper than blues elsewhere I have skied. There are nice, wide groomers off of most of the lifts, for what its worth. Jackson is a wonderful town, but is a bit of a schlepp from Teton Village, where the skiing is. We stayed in a condo in Teton Village, which was fine, but the condos (nearly all, I believe) are not ski-in. You can walk (too far with ski boots, in my opinion), and there is a shuttle that runs pretty frequently. I don't know the rates, but the hotels closer to the lifts sound ideal for you. The restaurants in the Village we went to were actually quite good, and the Mangy Moose is a fun bar.

If you have a car, you can drive over the pass to Targhee for a day trip (and vice versa). I did that one day before the rest of my family arrived and had a wonderful time. Snow wasn't great when I was there (refrozen after a thaw), but it was a bluebird sky with magnificent scenery. I can definitely see the potential with soft snow. Not much going on in Targhee but skiing.
 
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddanks View Post
 

 

Along those lines: when does Steamboat usually start to turn not-so-good?

 

I know, it all depends on the year, etc., but I am thinking about a mid-March trip with my daughter; could even that be a problem?

 

i was there mid march last year and it was good. at least up high. got snow almost every day, but it was a bit slushy down low some days. its all a crap shoot.

post #15 of 15

I had planned an early april trip ... around the 6th or 7th to take advantage of cheap lifts and rooming but buds dropped out due to predicted rain ...

 

turns out they had some nice dumps but in earnest, I would of pulled the plug.  I did though tempt others with hitting WP and Steamboat on their 4 x 40 pass, 2 days at each.  I figured if we couldn't to upper SB we'd just hang at WP.  Both resorts had some nice season snow but I can say that given the weather patterns in mid march, it was really really stretch that one would want to risk good money (even with a good deal) on a flip of the coin. 

 

Unless you can plan to a few days out ... or cancel with no risk ... I'd agree with others and would aim at more sure elevations.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Looking to try Steamboat 'on the cheap' this Spring