or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Skis for us 6 foot, 200 lb and up dudes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skis for us 6 foot, 200 lb and up dudes

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 

All,

      I'm on the west coast, and am looking for a new one-quiver or second ski to add to my collection. I currently run a 2010/2011 elan 888, but i'm interested in Salomon, Blizzards, Icelantics That said, I know metal core skis are very helpful over here in the wet crud.

 

Any recommendations? Other brands to consider?

 

I'm a 6'4", 240 lb guy

 

 

Thanks,

-G

post #2 of 23
Big ski? Blizzard Bodacious, Rossi Squad 7, Nordica Helldorado. Medium big, Blizzard Cochise, Volkl Katana, or Nordica El Capo. Medium, Volkl Mantra or 188 Rossi E-98.
post #3 of 23

*paging spindrift to the quiver phone*

post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik7 View Post

All,

      I'm on the west coast, and am looking for a new one-quiver or second ski to add to my collection. I currently run a 2010/2011 elan 888, but i'm interested in Salomon, Blizzards, Icelantics That said, I know metal core skis are very helpful over here in the wet crud.

 

Any recommendations? Other brands to consider?

 

I'm a 6'4", 240 lb guy

 

 

Thanks,

-G


Where will you be doing most of your skiing? Meadows, or T-Line/Ski Bowl. What kind of terrain do you find yourself on, and where are you looking to take your skiing? Is the goal for a more soft snow oriented ski? Why are you set on these brands?

 

I'm asking all this because I'm a bigger guy myself, and ski where you ski. And FWIW you don't need metal to bust crud.

post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post


Where will you be doing most of your skiing? Meadows, or T-Line/Ski Bowl. What kind of terrain do you find yourself on, and where are you looking to take your skiing? Is the goal for a more soft snow oriented ski? Why are you set on these brands?

 

I'm asking all this because I'm a bigger guy myself, and ski where you ski. And FWIW you don't need metal to bust crud.

 



As I live in Portland, probably 90% of my skiing will be meadows, with the other 10% being bachelor and whistler (due to distance/my laziness).

 

Historically, i've been going as fast as possible down groomers (all the way up to black/double black), but i'd love to get into more soft/fresh snow, maybe some trees too.

 

I've only had my own gear for the last 2 seasons, and while i love my elan 888 skis, they are certainly to be kept on the smooth(ish) side of the mountain. The last decade i've done the rental thing (age= mid 20s).

 

I've been hunting around on various gear websites, and seen a lot of love for the new salomons (rocker 108/122, q-115, q-105), blizzard cochise, and icelantics (more powder specific). I'm set on those brands because my younger brother works in the industry and can get me pro-deals (read: 50% or better off), and those are some of the more popular brands he gets deals on.

 

EDIT: my 888 are metal core, which i've heard adds stability to high speeds. But clearly, I still have much to learn :)

post #6 of 23

I ski the Elan Apex in 177  but You got 75 lbs on me

 

Its a good tool At Mt. Bachelor except during heavy dumps

 

I would keep the 888 and look for something over 110 with metal to handle your weight and possibly float you in soft snow

 

Since you got a way to get a deal on them at any time

 

Why don't you Demo and see what you like ??

 

If you still want a one ski Quiver the Bonafide will probably work well but will be very close in width to your 888

post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik7 View Post




As I live in Portland, probably 90% of my skiing will be meadows, with the other 10% being bachelor and whistler (due to distance/my laziness).

Historically, i've been going as fast as possible down groomers (all the way up to black/double black), but i'd love to get into more soft/fresh snow, maybe some trees too.

I've only had my own gear for the last 2 seasons, and while i love my elan 888 skis, they are certainly to be kept on the smooth(ish) side of the mountain. The last decade i've done the rental thing (age= mid 20s).

I've been hunting around on various gear websites, and seen a lot of love for the new salomons (rocker 108/122, q-115, q-105), blizzard cochise, and icelantics (more powder specific). I'm set on those brands because my younger brother works in the industry and can get me pro-deals (read: 50% or better off), and those are some of the more popular brands he gets deals on.

EDIT: my 888 are metal core, which i've heard adds stability to high speeds. But clearly, I still have much to learn smile.gif


Bad news, but with the possible exception of the Q-115, you're too heavy for the Q's.
post #8 of 23

I'm about 220lbs with all my gear on. I've been skiing on Icelantic Shamans in 184cm. They have float at 160-110-130. Traditional  camber. Think of them as powder carvers. They carve so well on the groomers at Mammoth I hardly ever get on my Mantras any more. They are real coversation starters on the lift because of their extreme shape. I bought a 2nd pair in 173 for tree skiing at Alpine Meadows. This year I'm thinking of getting the skinny version 140-90-110 as a more front side ski. I've been skiing for 50 plus years and I have a tendency to drive the tips---old school technique. But these really work for me. At Mammoth they're a one ski quiver for me.
 

post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

*paging spindrift to the quiver phone*

 

At your service biggrin.gif

 

 

This, from Praxis:

 

 

 

This is the ski that was on the FWT first place podium 3 out of 6 big mountain events at last season's tour. No metal . wink.gif Code EPIC should get 10% off. For the next short while, custom flex and topsheet at "stock" price. Keith at Praxis can advise on length and stiffness. 

 

If you want to go local in Portland, check out ON3P. Solid stiff skis. Some nice designs.

 

For my .02, I'm not such a fan of the Icelantics - other than maybe Keeper or Gypsy. Even there - I just think they are behind the curve - especially for powder performance. Some other reasonable people here disagree... Great in their day, but.... And yes, I admit I have not been on any of their skis since I sold my Nomads, Shamans and Scouts a few years back. 

 

Shape-wise, the Salomon q 115 might be worth a look. Maybe Atomic Automatic. The Blizzards have a good reputation. Just something decently stiff, modern shape & rocker, decently north of 110 wide - probably between 115 and 125, depending... Some other good suggestions upthread. But at your weight, to reiterate, you'll need something with some beef. A bit on the narrow end, but the Helldorado is one beefy surefooted ski (and the only one of the skis in this paragraph I have actually skied).

 

I'm sure I am forgetting something.

 

Regardless, keep the Elans.

 

Just my .02

My usual and obvious "disclaimer": I am a definite Praxis fan.

post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the info so far! Keep 'em coming!

 

I will call hood meadows and ask about what skis they demo, unless anyone knows.

post #11 of 23
Thread Starter 

Separate, though related question:

 

If I do get an extra set of skis, am I better off buying a new set of bindings? Or investing in quiver killers/binding freedoms?
 

post #12 of 23

I would go for new bindings

 

It's less of a hassle when you wanna swap out mid day

 

Plus There are loads of bindings on sale right now plus you are getting a pro deal on them as well

post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik7 View Post

Separate, though related question:

 

If I do get an extra set of skis, am I better off buying a new set of bindings? Or investing in quiver killers/binding freedoms?
 

 

Get a set of bindings for your new skis.  You won't want to deal with the hassle of swapping bindings (and brakes since your new 2nd pair is going to be substantially wider than your elans) in the morning after you see the snow report and decide which pair to bring up for the day.

post #14 of 23

Same boat. I have the Bodacious currently. Leaning towards adding the Bonafide this season. 

post #15 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindrift View Post

 

At your service biggrin.gif

 

 

This, from Praxis:

 

 

If you want to go local in Portland, check out ON3P. Solid stiff skis. Some nice designs.

 

Shape-wise, the Salomon q 115 might be worth a look. Maybe Atomic Automatic. The Blizzards have a good reputation. Just something decently stiff, modern shape & rocker, decently north of 110 wide - probably between 115 and 125, depending... Some other good suggestions upthread. But at your weight, to reiterate, you'll need something with some beef. A bit on the narrow end, but the Helldorado is one beefy surefooted ski (and the only one of the skis in this paragraph I have actually skied).

 

Regardless, keep the Elans.

 

Just my .02

My usual and obvious "disclaimer": I am a definite Praxis fan.

I wanted a pair of GPO's so bad, but could not justify buying them, as I have Automatics with 1 day on them (poor powder season for me last year).  OP, Praxis skis are solid.  Buy the 192 GPO and be stoked.  The Cease and Desist from ON3P would be a great choice too. (And they are a local company)  And buy another set of bindingswink.gif

post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2 ski View Post

...but could not justify...

 

 

Well, that's a whole lot of quiver fail right there! biggrin.gif

post #17 of 23

 

Just saying....though I think freeskier messed up on the price. The 191 is a machine at Meadows when it's fresh, and doesn't let up once the place has been skied out.
 

post #18 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecimmortal View Post

 

Just saying....though I think freeskier messed up on the price. The 191 is a machine at Meadows when it's fresh, and doesn't let up once the place has been skied out.
 

 

I'm sorely temped to buy on3p's, they look so cool and they're local!

 

Does anyone know what brands hood meadows demos?

post #19 of 23
Thread Starter 

I will buy another set of marker bindings. Most likely jester as they can be 130 mm brake width.

post #20 of 23

sput, within reason, there's no need for the brake to be wider than the ski... a 120 brake on a 122 ski is not at all an issue. 

post #21 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

sput, within reason, there's no need for the brake to be wider than the ski... a 120 brake on a 122 ski is not at all an issue. 


So a 110-120mm underfoot ski can have a 110mm brake?

post #22 of 23

^^^^Perhaps, as a slight bending out of the arms on your brakes will likely do the trick.  I normally try and be within 5mm when buying a smaller brake and haven't had any problems.

post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik7 View Post


So a 110-120mm underfoot ski can have a 110mm brake?

In general, I'd within 5mm if you're stretching the brake.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Skis for us 6 foot, 200 lb and up dudes