Nice timing -- I spent *hours* yesterday emailing with the Pieps rep and poring over the draft user's manual as background research for the annual BeaconReviews.com website revisions.
Short answer = availability is early October, and both the new DSP Pro & DSP Sport have *many* (many) significant updates that go far beyond what is listed on the BD website -- but even there, just the new housing and the dramatic price drops (i.e., relative to the discontinued DSP [sans appendage] & DSP Tour, respectively) are pretty significant! (Although that stp price on the DSP also gets ridiculously cheap with any of the available discount codes.)
Other new developments:
- ARVA Neo beacon looks like yet another solid contender in the sensibly mid-market range (i.e., three antennas + marking/masking feature).
- ARVA EVO3+ gains a new dedicated button for its more limited blocking feature (which previously relied on the Transmit<>Search switch to do double-duty).
- ARVA Link renamed the Pro-W, with Axis discontinued.
- Barryvox Pulse has new 4.0 firmware (available around mid-October, and also installed on all new beacons this season). The website text and pictures really don't do it justice. But after still more hours of emailing and watching a draft video, the new display for the final search phase looks outstanding. And the other two new features could be helpful too (although impossible to evaluate without using it).
- BCA T3 still doesn't have a firm release date. (Or is that not a new development?)
- Ortovox Patroller Digital to be discontinued (essentially replaced by the Zoom already last season).
Originally Posted by Bob Lee
I use the 3+ and I'm very happy with it - it has a "smart" antannae feature which optimizes the signal out which should make it easier for people to find you.
Sort of. All it does is avoid transmission in the vertical plane. But transmission in the horizontal plane can be just as bad if the horizontally aligned antenna is pointing away from the searcher. So, that feature can help a bit, but most of the time it probably won't make any difference.