or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Blizzard Bonafied?

post #1 of 25
Thread Starter 

Just booked a JHMR trip for late January .....  

 

So excited I may just treat myself to a new pair of skis ...

 

Currently ski Head Monster 78's /168 and after reading all the reviews it looks like the Blizzards are highly regarded...

 

  • 5'8
  • 175 lb before gear 
  • 47 - average condition 
  • Ski 15 days a year - West only 
  • Solid Intermediate - Ski all blues and groomed blacks
  • Moderate speed on groomed blues - I am usually keeping up or passing skiers 
  • Trying to improve off piste but having problems

 

 

Question - Will I be able to handle to Bonafides and is 166 too short - go with the 173 ?

 

Thanks guys - Much appreciated

 

NNN  

post #2 of 25

They're both too short.

post #3 of 25
I disagree with shredhead. How well do you like your Monster 78's. Are you comfortable on them - length is primarily needed for stability at speed. If you like them i think you would enjoy the 166 more but if your macho is taking over and you want to stretch a little go with the 173. The rocker in the Blizzards will make them ski a little shorter than they would with conventional camber.
post #4 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveturner View Post

I disagree with shredhead. How well do you like your Monster 78's. Are you comfortable on them - length is primarily needed for stability at speed. If you like them i think you would enjoy the 166 more but if your macho is taking over and you want to stretch a little go with the 173. The rocker in the Blizzards will make them ski a little shorter than they would with conventional camber.

Love the Monsters - had them around 3 or 4 years now ... They have been the perfect front side bias all mountain skis ... At my age I leave the "macho" at home in favor of not killing myself :-) 

 

That said, I still have a really hard time turning in the crud and trees - I am sure its my lack of skill rather than the ski - I need to be more aggressive ....  

 

Just want to go wider to handle the crud and ungroomed runs a bit better.... Is 98 waist overkill ?  

 

Thanks !!!!!!!  


Edited by triplenet - 8/9/13 at 4:06pm
post #5 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHREDHEAD View Post

They're both too short.

 



This.  You're 175lbs. And if you're wanting to get off piste at all, those skis ain't gonna hold you up in powder or packed powder, especially if you're launching into the powder.  You're tips are gonna dive and it's gonna suck.  Man up and grab something closer to a 180 for an all mountain ski.  I betcha anything the issues you're having in the crud and trees have more to do with a non-balanced stance than anything.  Remember, stance is over the center of the skis(you're bindings.) In fact, you might consider an additional investment of a private lesson to go along with your new skis.

post #6 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post

Just booked a JHMR trip for late January .....  

 

So excited I may just treat myself to a new pair of skis ...

 

Currently ski Head Monster 78's /168 and after reading all the reviews it looks like the Blizzards are highly regarded...

 

  • 5'8
  • 175 lb before gear 
  • 47 - average condition 
  • Ski 15 days a year - West only 
  • Solid Intermediate - Ski all blues and groomed blacks
  • Moderate speed on groomed blues - I am usually keeping up or passing skiers 
  • Trying to improve off piste but having problems

 

 

Question - Will I be able to handle to Bonafides and is 166 too short - go with the 173 ?

 

Thanks guys - Much appreciated

 

NNN  

 

Some are saying the 180, if you were younger, better than average condition, skiing more than 15 days a season and more than a solid intermediate, you could go longer, but the 173 will be fine for you. 

post #7 of 25

98mm is definitely not overkill. Might be underkill in some conditions, but is an excellent width for a Western everyday ski. 

Skiing more aggressively + lack of technique= injury, not easier turning.

post #8 of 25

Jackson is a beautiful place and definitely worth visiting just for scenery.  However, there's a lot of beautiful places to ski that I would recommend for an intermediate skier over Jackson.  Why?  Because if you're a level 5 skier(scale of 1-10) you won't be skiing the bulk of JH, you're gonna miss out on a lot of the terrain.  So what's the point?  You could hit up a places in Utah like the Canyons or places like Vail, Deer Valley, Snowmass etc. that are much more geared towards intermediates. 

 

And for a person who skis 15 times a year, that's cool with me, but I would think demoing skis would be a much better route to go than investing a grand in a pair of skis that you may or may not like. If you do the math, it doesn't work out.  A grand for new skis/binding.  15 days a year that comes to  $66/day.  You can demo several pairs of skis a day for that price.  And you may find one you really like.

 

And sure, you can grab a 173 and dink around on the groomers all day.  But what happens when you take a couple lessons and get a lot better and want to dive into something more challenging(powder, packed powder, trees, crud?)  A 173cm for a 175lb guy simply ain't gonna cut it in those conditions. Not unless you like to lean back on your tails.  And anyone who tells you different has zero clue what they're talking about. 

post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post

  • Trying to improve off piste but having problems

 

 

Can you elaborate on what type of "off piste" skiing you are trying to improve but having problems?   Powder, trees, bumps, steeps, crud?  What areas have you been skiing and had problems?  That makes a big difference on the length and type of ski.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

 

And sure, you can grab a 173 and dink around on the groomers all day.  But what happens when you take a couple lessons and get a lot better and want to dive into something more challenging(powder, packed powder, trees, crud?)  A 173cm for a 175lb guy simply ain't gonna cut it in those conditions. Not unless you like to lean back on your tails.  And anyone who tells you different has zero clue what they're talking about. 

 

 

I tend to agree with Phil that a 173 sounds better given he's not a solid expert yet.  Guess I have zero clue, but here are my thoughts: 

 

I haven't skied the Bonafied, but I've spent a lot of time on the similar Mantra in 170, 177 and 184 lengths.  I think the Mantra is probably similar in sizing to the Bonafied (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).  If you get that class of ski too long they take a ton of effort, and will likely overwhelm an intermediate.  At 180lbs I didn't mind the 170 Mantra, and it was a blast cruising and in bumps.   I prefered the 177 overall, but if I had to pick the 170 vs the 184, I'd take the 170 on 90% of days.   I'm a stronger skier than the OP, so I think he would enjoy the 173 much more than the 180 unless he's skiing high speed in wide open bowls.

 

I would question the 98 width, though.   I'd suggest he consider a ~88 width ski in a 170ish length while learning, then later add a ~105mm ski in a 180ish length to have a 2 ski quiver with the best of both worlds.

post #10 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post

 

Can you elaborate on what type of "off piste" skiing you are trying to improve but having problems?   Powder, trees, bumps, steeps, crud?  What areas have you been skiing and had problems?

 

 

At this stage in life (47) and the limited amount of time we get out west to ski I dont want to venture into the trees and risk injury..... Just looking to improve skiing the un-groomed so I can enjoy a bit more of the mountain ... 

 

We are going to ski Targhee 2 days and 4 days at JHMR... Figure this is a good time to get something a bit wider than the IM78's

 

Thanks guys - appreciate the feedback  

post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post


And sure, you can grab a 173 and dink around on the groomers all day.  But what happens when you take a couple lessons and get a lot better and want to dive into something more challenging(powder, packed powder, trees, crud?)  A 173cm for a 175lb guy simply ain't gonna cut it in those conditions. Not unless you like to lean back on your tails.  And anyone who tells you different has zero clue what they're talking about. 
He can cross that bridge 2..3..4 years down the road or once he starts skiing more than 15 days a season. I guess I do not have a clue what leaning back on your tails has to do with choosing ski length but it sounds like you have the experience there. I tend to look at all the factors when helping to decide length of a ski, not just weight especially if there is limited access to snow days and a mid level skier who is on the cautious side of the scale
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post

Can you elaborate on what type of "off piste" skiing you are trying to improve but having problems?   Powder, trees, bumps, steeps, crud?  What areas have you been skiing and had problems?  That makes a big difference on the length and type of ski.



I tend to agree with Phil that a 173 sounds better given he's not a solid expert yet.  Guess I have zero clue, but here are my thoughts: 

I haven't skied the Bonafied, but I've spent a lot of time on the similar Mantra in 170, 177 and 184 lengths.  I think the Mantra is probably similar in sizing to the Bonafied (somebody correct me if I'm wrong).  If you get that class of ski too long they take a ton of effort, and will likely overwhelm an intermediate.  At 180lbs I didn't mind the 170 Mantra, and it was a blast cruising and in bumps.   I prefered the 177 overall, but if I had to pick the 170 vs the 184, I'd take the 170 on 90% of days.   I'm a stronger skier than the OP, so I think he would enjoy the 173 much more than the 180 unless he's skiing high speed in wide open bowls.

I would question the 98 width, though.   I'd suggest he consider a ~88 width ski in a 170ish length while learning, then later add a ~105mm ski in a 180ish length to have a 2 ski quiver with the best of both worlds.

Again with him skiing 15 days a season, I cannot see him ever needing a 2 ski quiver but I cannot disagree with the consideration of 90mm ski, but since he has his heart set on a Bonafide, a pretty damn good and versatile ski in it's own right. No sense in confusing the issue.
post #12 of 25
He should hold off on buying anything and just demo as many skis as he desires at his January Jackson Hole trip, and then buy the ski in the ski length that works best for him. I
post #13 of 25

The more advanced a skier is, the more easily he adapts his technique to get the most out of a given ski.

 

In other words, try before you buy is even more important for an intermediate. Start with 170cm to175cm and try both 90mm and 100mm wide skis.

 

If the Op ends up with a 90mm wide every day ski as a favourite, he can always rent a 100+ wide ski on those occasions when it dumps a couple feet and extra float is desired.

post #14 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostan View Post

He should hold off on buying anything and just demo as many skis as he desires at his January Jackson Hole trip, and then buy the ski in the ski length that works best for him. I

Not the best idea, especially in this case. First, when you are demoing a ski, you are demoing two things, the tune and the conditions, and lastly the ski. Second, he is not going until late January, the "demos" in Jackson (and most resorts) are not demos but glorified rental skis that go out 3-5 times a week, they will ski like 2 year old skis NOT giving him the best idea what the ski will ski like. They will NOT ski like a ski that is meant to be demoed from a reps van that is (or at least should be) tuned as a sales tool. And lastly, late January selections are slim especially for popular skis like the Bonafide, reps are not around at that point (SIA week) and there will be NO chance of a rep demo day that week ad with the 2015 gear starting to get intro'ed the current demo/rental skis are getting less attention. Demoing is a great theory but not usually the best solution. 

post #15 of 25
Thread Starter 

Well guys - I absorbed all your suggestions - drank some whisky - and ended up buying a pair of used Bonafides 173's here on the forum....

 

I probably paid about the same as demo's would cost for the week ... So figured why not.....  

 

If they are too short then I will recoup a portion of the cost and look for a longer set... 

 

Now I need a good boot fitter in Jackson Hole - my Falcon 10's are about 7 years old and done smile.gif

 

Thanks again 

 

NNN 

post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post

Well guys - I absorbed all your suggestions - drank some whisky - and ended up buying a pair of used Bonafides 173's here on the forum....

 

 

NNN 

Congrats, now, what kind of whisky? 

post #17 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

Congrats, now, what kind of whisky? 

 

Macallan 18 - they had a good deal at my local liquor store ..... 

 

Hope they get some early snow in Colorado this year - would like to get a pre xmas trip in before the JHMR trip - get new boots and work on the new skis ...

 

beercheer.gif

post #18 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

Not the best idea, especially in this case. First, when you are demoing a ski, you are demoing two things, the tune and the conditions, and lastly the ski. Second, he is not going until late January, the "demos" in Jackson (and most resorts) are not demos but glorified rental skis that go out 3-5 times a week, they will ski like 2 year old skis NOT giving him the best idea what the ski will ski like. They will NOT ski like a ski that is meant to be demoed from a reps van that is (or at least should be) tuned as a sales tool. And lastly, late January selections are slim especially for popular skis like the Bonafide, reps are not around at that point (SIA week) and there will be NO chance of a rep demo day that week ad with the 2015 gear starting to get intro'ed the current demo/rental skis are getting less attention. Demoing is a great theory but not usually the best solution. 
Phil, your points as always are salient. but maybe...maybe not....I have had very good luck demoing skis at JH on at least two occasions (usually earlier in January). I always go in to shop the end of day before and look at the skis and tune and request work on them, if necessary, before taking them out. And, then again I am not in the biz of selling skis. I see that the triplenet bought some used 173 bones. Best of luck with them!
post #19 of 25
I had a pair of Bonafides and for a intermediate at 175#s, I don't think a 173 is unreasonable for an all around ski. Other skis might work different/better, but that size will be OK IMO. Demo something else on a powder day if you feel like you want more stick.

The cost of ownership is price paid- amount recouped after sale. If he spends $500, skis them 15 days, and sells them for $300, then he's paid $200 for 15 days. That's $13/day, and they'll be in good tune.

IME, having been to JH twice at the end of January, our crew couldn't find the model skis they wanted to demo. They tried calling ahead, too. They were able to find other cool skis, though.
post #20 of 25

Ok, here's the thing.  You're at Targhee, and, in true Targhee fashion it's been dumping on and off for 4 days.  What are you gonna do with 173s?  Even on a ski that's 100mm underfoot, there's still not enough length to keep your tips up in the pow.  That said, as far as a front-side ski that you're gonna keep to the groomers, a 173 is great(provided is a beefy, heavy side cut ski.)  But a 173 is by no means an ideal length for an all-mountain ski, given your height and weight.  Especially when you can get a 180 with some rocker that will turn every bit as easy as a shorter ski. 

 

But, you can always demo a bigger ski when the pow hits. Although, you start demoing those bigger skis, you're not gonna want to go back to that 173.

 

Cheers

post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post

Well guys - I absorbed all your suggestions - drank some whisky - and ended up buying a pair of used Bonafides 173's here on the forum....

 

I probably paid about the same as demo's would cost for the week ... So figured why not.....  

 

If they are too short then I will recoup a portion of the cost and look for a longer set... 

 

Now I need a good boot fitter in Jackson Hole - my Falcon 10's are about 7 years old and done smile.gif

 

Thanks again 

 

NNN 

 

Did you buy the pair segbrown was selling and are now sold?

 

Look no further than Epic's Skiing-in-Jackson for a great bootfitter. His real name is Stephen and he works at Jackson Hole Sports right at the base of the Gondola. He is very good at what he does and is a really neat person. He did my footbeds and Intuition liners and did a minor boot repair last year. Check out his Epic profile and he's done many great posts about bootfitting. Schedule an appointment and he will take very good care of you. An added bonus is that if the boots need minor tweaking while you are on them for the first few days, he is right at the mountain.

 

BTW, I think you will find the shorter Bonifides will work very well. They may not be the best ski for new, deep powder, but, those days can be few and far between. Personally, I purchased a shorter pair of carvers last year than what would normally be proscribed for a 200 lb skier, and, they work fine. There is something to be said for taking a ski that you know into most powder conditions as opposed to demo'ing.

 

And, don't leave that bottle of scotch around Phil too long, unless you have a spare bottle. Phil - ever do scotch in the shot ski? 

post #22 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Proof View Post

 

Did you buy the pair segbrown was selling and are now sold?

 

Look no further than Epic's Skiing-in-Jackson for a great bootfitter. 

 

 

Yes I purchased them from segbrown.... I emailed Skiing -in-Jackon on the boots but I may end up going to Vail area for a xmas ski and get fitted there .... 

post #23 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post

Yes I purchased them from segbrown.... I emailed Skiing -in-Jackon on the boots but I may end up going to Vail area for a xmas ski and get fitted there .... 
Greg Hoffman then.
post #24 of 25
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post


Greg Hoffman then.

 

Thanks is this him ...   http://www.skibootfitting.com/staff.html

 

Is he on the forum ? 

 

Thanks 

post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenet View Post

Thanks is this him ...   http://www.skibootfitting.com/staff.html

Is he on the forum ? 

Thanks 

Gregg is not on the forum much but that is him (officer). Gregg and his staff are very good, they are at the base in Lions Head in Vail Village
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion