Currently I am in the market for a new pair of skis.
For the past two and a half seasons my primary ski has been the 2010/2011 Atomic Blog's (185 cm, 134-110-126, r=19) with 2010/2011 Marker Griffon bindings mounted on them (1 cm back from center). No to be a narcissist, but I am an advanced skier that can go anywhere in or out-of-bounds. I look for the deepest snow and anything that I can "huck" (don't do a lot of switch riding). I am 6'5'' and am any where between 180 and 200 lbs.
I have been thoroughly pleased with the Atomic Blog's but am looking for something different to add to my arsenal of gear. The Blog's are very responsive and (for the most part) handle the mountain great. There has been one aspect to the Blog's I have not been pleased with at all, which is the chipping of the top sheet at the tips of the skis around the edges. This is caused from the skis hitting each other while I am riding them. I have attempted to mitigate the issue with switching which foot the ski typically is attached to (i.e. put the ski that is typically on my right foot on my left so the chipping does not happen on one side rather than the other). Not sure if others have experienced this issue and have suggestions on how to avoid (different brands experience more severely than others?)
Reflection on my pros and cons of the Blog's to take into consideration for the next pair of skis:
Pros: responsiveness, ability to carve the groomers, cut through "crud" with ease
Cons: chipping of front tips due to skis hitting each other during use, feel soft, minimal natural float
What I am looking for:
- Something bigger than the Blog's (bigger than 185 cm and 110 mm underfoot)
- Something suitable for AT skiing
- Something that can charge hard (always looking to go faster/harder, no matter the terrain)
- Better float than the Blog's
- Durability (would rather not have my top sheet chip because i am a "good" skier and keep my feet together), I give my equipment the royal treatment and do not neglect necessary tuning and repairs.
- Something that can handle in AK type terrain (can handle big mountain terrain that cannot necessarily be found in Colorado)
I have been doing some research of my own and have looked at/considered the following skies for my next pair (but am open to anything out there that will suit my needs):
- Rossignol Squad 7/Super 7 (worried the Squad 7 may not meet my needs with only being 190 cm, and worried about the consistently mentioned stability issues with the Super 7)
- Armada AK JJ's (worried this may be too similar to the Atomic Blog's that I am already skiing on: soft, back country jib ski)
- Blackdiamond Gigawatt (concerned this may be too big of a ski underfoot for what I am looking for)
- Atomic Bent Chetler's (think this may be too similar to the Blog's: with the softness and durability)