or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Ski Improvement Course in Whistler, Canada
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski Improvement Course in Whistler, Canada

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

Hi,

 

So I've decided to do a Ski Improvement course and have decided on Whistler.  Now I need to decide on which course to take as there seems to be a few to chose from.

 

- I'm looking for about a 3 / 4 week improvement course in Whistler for me and hubby.

 

- Would prefer to book my own accommodation, as I'd prefer an apartment / condo to a lodge / hotel room 

 

- Am happy to do 2 x 2 week courses, as long as I can move up the scale of lessons (i.e. I don't just do the same stuff for the second 2 weeks).

 

Which course would you suggest???

 

Thanks :)

post #2 of 20

How well do you currently ski? And what disciplines are you interested in? 

 

If you're an intermediate skier, you can get a lot out of an Alltracks course. They're technically ski instructor training, but the reality is a lot of people just go on ski holidays and take the courses too. And they run for long periods. Intermediate skiers get really good development in these programs, and end up getting certified as level 1 instructors, if not also level 2.

 

Whistler offers a multi-day Max4 lesson, which is for general skiing (on-piste, off-piste, bumps, trees, whatever the group wants). They've also started The Camp program, which is a hybrid of two older programs: you can do a combination of gate training (for those who want it), all mountain ski instruction and the typical "ski week". Given that a lot of the old Ski Esprit and Dave Murray coaches have gone to The Camp, I suspect you'll have greater odds of getting a higher certified instructor in The Camp.

 

There are also specialty clinics to learn zipperline bump skiing (Momentum), steeps (Extremely Canadian), and backcountry (Extremely Canadian again). 

 

There's also a seniors camp that teaches PMTS. 

 

So unless you go with Alltracks, you'll be putting together a bit of a package of lessons. My suggestion if you want to do your own thing and you're not yet sure what you want is to book a week of The Camp, decide what aspects of the program you enjoy, do some free skiing, and then book more lessons in whatever you want--then more free skiing. 

 

Enjoy!

post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 

Hi - we are intermediate skiers - my hubby is a good intermediate, and I am about an average skier.  I can cope with most on piste stuff, but find the really steep and the moguls challenging (but doable at my own pace).  Hubby copes a lot more with the moguls and the steep.  

 

Interested in just improving on mountain and for me it is all about gaining confidence and the experience in the on mountain stuff.  

 

Given that we normally only ski about 2 weeks a year on holiday (we live in Australia so do get some skiing in the winter, then we try to get to the USA or NZ for a longer period, depending on season), we are hoping that this time will just boost us to the next level, so that when we go back to our 2 weeks per year, we will have the confidence , experience and basic skills to be able to cope with a lot more.

post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fififoll View Post

Hi - we are intermediate skiers - my hubby is a good intermediate, and I am about an average skier.  I can cope with most on piste stuff, but find the really steep and the moguls challenging (but doable at my own pace).  Hubby copes a lot more with the moguls and the steep.  

 

Interested in just improving on mountain and for me it is all about gaining confidence and the experience in the on mountain stuff.  

 

Given that we normally only ski about 2 weeks a year on holiday (we live in Australia so do get some skiing in the winter, then we try to get to the USA or NZ for a longer period, depending on season), we are hoping that this time will just boost us to the next level, so that when we go back to our 2 weeks per year, we will have the confidence , experience and basic skills to be able to cope with a lot more.

There are weekend Roxy camps for women that are apparently good for gaining confidence.  But of course that's only good for you.  Although I've heard that sometimes spouses of different ability levels find that working with instructors separately has advantages.  My husband is a complete non-skier so I don't have any experience with skiing with a spouse.

 

If you are interested in Roxy, you might check over on TheSkiDiva.com to see what weekend Divas are likely to do Roxy.  There is usually one weekend where several Divas attend together the past few seasons.

 

A month of to focus on ski improvement . . . fun!

post #5 of 20

I did a YES ski improvement program at Whistler years ago (2001?) - they're set up for long camps like 2 - 10 weeks of fairly conventional skiing i.e. a mixture of on course groomers, bumps, trees, free-ride etc. I seem to recall that they were flexible with the packaging and accommodation. Check them out if they're still running.

post #6 of 20

I second the recommendation for YES Tours. Sounds like the most suitable option for what you're looking for. I used to coach for them quite a few years ago and the owner PJ would always go out of his way to make sure everyone had an amazing time. You will almost certainly get a level 4 instructor or if not at least a very experienced level 3.

post #7 of 20

i'd also suggest looking at the newly renamed 'the camp' at whistler starting this yr

....it is a merger of ski espirt (renamed last yr as max 4) and the very popular dave murray program

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/lessons-and-rentals/lessons/adult-camps/the-camp.aspx

 

...I just got off the phone with a whistler ski school director, and the new rebranding sounds promising

....'the camp' won't be 'watered down' (my initial worries by merging with max4/ski espirit)

just that the numbers for dave murray weren't sustainable and yet wb wanted to keep its excellent brand and top level coaches.

(there were many misconceptions, too, on the dave murray program e.g., that it was for 'gates' or racing oriented skiers.)

..so they are combining it with the popular max 4/ski espirit program (due to its popularity) and thus upping the quality

of coaching that comes from the dave murray component.


Edited by canali - 8/27/13 at 2:35pm
post #8 of 20

I work for WB Ski School and so get loads of free (and excellent) training but I still pay my hard earned for a tune from the Dave Murray Coaches.

 

It has been around for 30 years.

 

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/dave-murray-ski-camps/Content?oid=2457232&storyPage=1

post #9 of 20

good to hear it....and if you sign up before Nov 15 you get $50 off the price too.

I wonder if my 5 day Edge Card still gets the additional $35 off, too.

 

better pricing i think this yr, too.

 

btw, DLF7, I enjoyed your posting that asked very seasoned skiers to analyze your ski technique

to help you with level 3 (did you pass btw?)

http://www.epicski.com/t/120355/video-of-my-skiing

 

...am hoping to go for my 'lowly' CSIA level 1 this yr (I wanted to last yr but my morton's neuroma got in the way

and I had to even bail out of the prep course...stuck my foot in snow right afterwords to reduce the pain mid day

could barely go on.

...fingers crossed that with my weight loss, and boot punch out will make things better for my skiing this season

(seeing kevan kobayashi at fanatyko in nov as well for allignment and to get his thoughts)

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLF7 View Post
 

I work for WB Ski School and so get loads of free (and excellent) training but I still pay my hard earned for a tune from the Dave Murray Coaches.

 

It has been around for 30 years.

 

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/dave-murray-ski-camps/Content?oid=2457232&storyPage=1

post #10 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by canali View Post

btw, DLF7, I enjoyed your posting that asked very seasoned skiers to analyze your ski technique

to help you with level 3 (did you pass btw?)

http://www.epicski.com/t/120355/video-of-my-skiing

 

This wasn't me, I wouldn't have the nerve to post a video ;).  EDIT but I did post in the thread though, aha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canali View Post

...am hoping to go for my 'lowly' CSIA level 1 this yr (I wanted to last yr but my morton's neuroma got in the way

and I had to even bail out of the prep course...stuck my foot in snow right afterwords to reduce the pain mid day

could barely go on.

...fingers crossed that with my weight loss, and boot punch out will make things better for my skiing this season

(seeing kevan kobayashi at fanatyko in nov as well for allignment and to get his thoughts)

My better half has a neuroma and Brian Campbell (Top Shelf) did some funky things with her footbed which really helped.  He was on the same block at Fantyko but is moving locations.  Don't know where yet.


Edited by DLF7 - 9/10/13 at 9:31pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinerd View Post
 

I second the recommendation for YES Tours.

 

Just be aware that most YES participants are Brit/Aussie youths on their gap year or working holiday.  Nothing wrong with that, just that you may not mix well with them, especially in shared accommodations.  The OP sounds like someone who might prefer a more "mature" social setting ;-)

post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF7 View Post
 

I work for WB Ski School and so get loads of free (and excellent) training but I still pay my hard earned for a tune from the Dave Murray Coaches.

 

It has been around for 30 years.

 

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/dave-murray-ski-camps/Content?oid=2457232&storyPage=1

 

What?! that's kind of nutty, considering you could take a real CSCF course instead.

 

When I was on the coach-2 course, we had to share a run with the dave murray program. I kept seeing these people poaching the dave murray course, and I was getting mad that so many obvious gapers would do that--until I found out that those people were the dave murray participants... 

 

I'm sure it was a good program and obviously there's a lot of range in skill, but if you're already an instructor, a CSCF coaching course is where I'd put my money.

post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphor_ View Post
 

 

What?! that's kind of nutty, considering you could take a real CSCF course instead.

 

When I was on the coach-2 course, we had to share a run with the dave murray program. I kept seeing these people poaching the dave murray course, and I was getting mad that so many obvious gapers would do that--until I found out that those people were the dave murray participants... 

 

I'm sure it was a good program and obviously there's a lot of range in skill, but if you're already an instructor, a CSCF coaching course is where I'd put my money.

 

I have taken a real CSCF course and I highly recommend them but don't forget Murray Camp isn't exclusively race training.  I wouldn't want to take a CSCF course on a powder day!

 

BTW if you want the definition of 'obvious gaper' it's a ski instructor running gates ;).

post #14 of 20
Valid points. I don't think I'd want to take any course on a powder day... you must have had your reasons to pay for a DM camp when you could do the instructor gate training for free...?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF7 View Post
 

BTW if you want the definition of 'obvious gaper' it's a ski instructor running gates ;).

 

Hey, I resemble that remark

post #15 of 20

DLF7 - Brian won't be opening Top Shelf this year.

 

Don't know why yet.

 

A real loss for skiing.

post #16 of 20

just did some research and it seems they're hunting for a new location...

or maybe they didn't find one??

http://www.topshelfwhistler.com/

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cntred Stance View Post
 

DLF7 - Brian won't be opening Top Shelf this year.

 

Don't know why yet.

 

A real loss for skiing.

post #17 of 20

I have been communicating with Brian (Top Shelf) and here is an excerpt from a recent e-mail to me.

 

" Sit down now.....We are not going to re-open Topshelf. We always intended to, a bigger and better location but we are going to close it permanently. A very long story{C}{C}{C}".

 

I realize his web site is still up and indicates he is moving to a new location but the quote above is from the "horses mouth".

post #18 of 20

what of the Fernie location for Top Shelf?

..staying open or also closing down?

post #19 of 20

Hi canali

 

I gon't know about the Fernie location

post #20 of 20
just a heads up but tomorrow (Fri Nov 15) is the deadline to get $50 off the price of the WB 'the camp'
(and yes i've signed up)...no further $35 additional discount for 'edge card' holders, however.
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/lessons-and-rentals/lessons/adult-camps/the-camp.aspx
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Instruction & Coaching
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Ski Training and Pro Forums › Ski Instruction & Coaching › Ski Improvement Course in Whistler, Canada