EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Ski Boot Stiffness Survey (We got nothing better to do while waiting for snow)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski Boot Stiffness Survey (We got nothing better to do while waiting for snow) - Page 4

Poll Results: How stiff is your boot

Poll expired: Oct 31, 2013 This is a multiple choice poll
  • 1% of voters (2)
    150+ (yes, I'm mad)
  • 6% of voters (8)
    150
  • 1% of voters (2)
    140
  • 36% of voters (46)
    130
  • 26% of voters (33)
    120
  • 16% of voters (21)
    110
  • 7% of voters (10)
    100
  • 8% of voters (11)
    90
  • 0% of voters (0)
    80
  • 0% of voters (1)
    70
  • 1% of voters (2)
    60
  • 0% of voters (1)
    60- (yes I'm thinking of snowboarding)
126 Total Votes  
post #91 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

 

Cow Calf stretch for one. 

 

Getting the heel further back in the heel pocket than any kicking ever will, for another.

 

Keeping the back of the leg from stiffening up on a cold chair ride, for a third.

  • I have better places to do a Calf Stretch.  The chairlift is not one of them. 
  • If your boots fit properly, there should be ZERO reason to use this method to get your heel back in the pocket
  • The back of your leg stiffens up on a cold chair ride?  Really? 

 

nonono2.gif

post #92 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantunamunch View Post

 

Cow Calf stretch for one. 

 

Getting the heel further back in the heel pocket than any kicking ever will, for another.

 

Keeping the back of the leg from stiffening up on a cold chair ride, for a third.

  • I have better places to do a Calf Stretch.  The chairlift is not one of them. 
  • If your boots fit properly, there should be ZERO reason to use this method to get your heel back in the pocket
  • The back of your leg stiffens up on a cold chair ride?  Really? 

 

nonono2.gif

 

- I have better things to do when I'm not on a chairlift - and I don't have anything better to do on a chair lift.

 

- I have long since abandoned all hope of a) actually learning to ski b) having "properly" fitting ski boots, so I make do with what I've got.

 

- Of course it does.   It was properly warmed up on the way down and everyone's body temp drops towards resting when sitting  down for 2 minutes or more.    We're not going to make the beginner mistake of (Resting body temp = "warmed up"), are we?

 

post #93 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post

I am 6' 1" about 220 lbs. I ski a set of Nordica Speedmachine 110s.  They have seen 3 seasons and the liners are starting to get pretty sloppy.  But at the same time, they also just hit the point where they are comfy to have on my feet an entire ski day without needing to click out of them at lunch, take boot breaks, etc., so while I know I should be replacing the liners, I can't quite bring myself to do it.

 

I have a really, really, really wide foot, and have a some giant toes that create some real fit problems. The further up the line in performance, the narrower the boots tend to get, and I'm really hesitant to get into another boot that will need a huge amount of punching out to fit right.

 

Really, the biggest thing keeping me from moving to a stiffer boot is the thought of giving up 1/2 of a season working through boot pain having the shop punch out the boots incrementally to get the fit right. I'd rather spend the time of the snow.

 

I was in the same boat and got heat fittable Salomon 120s...they really did the trick, stiff and after heating fit like a glove with no hot spots. 

post #94 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abox View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post

I am 6' 1" about 220 lbs. I ski a set of Nordica Speedmachine 110s.  They have seen 3 seasons and the liners are starting to get pretty sloppy.  But at the same time, they also just hit the point where they are comfy to have on my feet an entire ski day without needing to click out of them at lunch, take boot breaks, etc., so while I know I should be replacing the liners, I can't quite bring myself to do it.

 

I have a really, really, really wide foot, and have a some giant toes that create some real fit problems. The further up the line in performance, the narrower the boots tend to get, and I'm really hesitant to get into another boot that will need a huge amount of punching out to fit right.

 

Really, the biggest thing keeping me from moving to a stiffer boot is the thought of giving up 1/2 of a season working through boot pain having the shop punch out the boots incrementally to get the fit right. I'd rather spend the time of the snow.

 

I was in the same boat and got heat fittable Salomon 120s...they really did the trick, stiff and after heating fit like a glove with no hot spots. 


When I got my Solomons, I had inquired about custom foamed liners and was told the heat fitted liners were just as good.  They are not.  The do take some of the time out of breaking in boot liners though.

post #95 of 99
As an inbounds skier, I love my Sidas injectable liners. For a little bit of weight penalty, there was zero break-in period, no refitting, never a minute of pain and I can buckle relatively loosely with no heel movement. I have a super low volume foot so more material required and probably more added weight than typical, and I think the weight issue is worth mentioning in that regard. I still wonder why more people don't go this route given the high potential for one-and-done fitting for 'performance comfort'?

That was actually how I ended up in a stiff boot...
post #96 of 99

I'm surprised that more than 40% are reporting using boots with stiffness of least 130.   
 

post #97 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsknight1 View Post

I'm surprised that more than 40% are reporting using boots with stiffness of least 130.   
 

 

Lots of codgers with beer guts and no ankle ROM?   And the ones that managed to avoid that fate did it through exercise and so have hamstrings and t. anteriors  that can actually flex a 130 boot on an unweighted ski?

post #98 of 99
... Should'a read more carefully... Coffee hadn't kicked in yet .redface.gif

smile.gif
Edited by markojp - 7/29/13 at 8:33am
post #99 of 99

Although I wouldn't consider myself an expert skier, I need additional stiffness to handle my weight of 270. I'll be getting a pair of the Salomon X Pro 130s. I sorta was trying them out late last season.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Ski Boot Stiffness Survey (We got nothing better to do while waiting for snow)