or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What new skis for the wife?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What new skis for the wife? - Page 2

post #31 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post

Thanks for the quick replies. The Kenjas and Rossi temptations is now off the short list. I need to find something else for the birthday.
I guess that was the stability and crud performace the she liked in the Auras. But a too stiff ski is bad.
Her happiness is most important. At least I think we can affort the skis that is most suited for her. The problem is just to find them.

A Stiff ski isn't bad of she's looking for 80/20 in performance, but a too stiff ski is bad.

If she liked the Aura, the Kenja is similar in feel but narrower so its a bit easier to ski on piste.

As Phil noted, stay away from the Rossignol Temptation 88 in the super short lengths.  

IF you can find a Volkl Yumi (new for 2014) take a look at that.  Its in the same line up as the Kenja/Aura, but its without metal and much friendlier.  Super fun ski. 

http://www.epicski.com/products/2014-volkl-yumi-womens-ski

post #32 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

IF you can find a Volkl Yumi (new for 2014) take a look at that.  Its in the same line up as the Kenja/Aura, but its without metal and much friendlier.  Super fun ski. 
http://www.epicski.com/products/2014-volkl-yumi-womens-ski

The Yumi might be perfect. I found them for a decent price. 154 long (147 is probably to short).

The next question is bindings. Griffons or Squires or something else?
post #33 of 52

Happiness in the wife makes for happiness in the husband.

post #34 of 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post


The Yumi might be perfect. I found them for a decent price. 154 long (147 is probably to short).

The next question is bindings. Griffons or Squires or something else?

147 is definitely too short. 

Between the Griffons or Squires, take the Squires. 

But I really like the Salomon binding better.  With a smaller boot sole length, its easier to get into and out of. 

post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

147 is definitely too short. 
Between the Griffons or Squires, take the Squires. 
But I really like the Salomon binding better.  With a smaller boot sole length, its easier to get into and out of. 

I dont know anything about Salomon bindings. The internet store where I found the Yumi has z10, L10 and sth12 driver oversize. The price was ski+binding mounting included. Her sole length is 298mm.

The birthday might be saved after all smile.gif
post #36 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post


I dont know anything about Salomon bindings. The internet store where I found the Yumi has z10, L10 and sth12 driver oversize. The price was ski+binding mounting included. Her sole length is 298mm.

The birthday might be saved after all smile.gif

the sth 12 driver is a solid bind! I use it on my skis and I recently bought one for my wife for her new skis. The one I have is the white/orange. You said oversize, I'm wondering if that has the driver toe or not, usually when they say oversize  it's not the driver version, but I might be wrong.

post #37 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post

the sth 12 driver is a solid bind! I use it on my skis and I recently bought one for my wife for her new skis. The one I have is the white/orange. You said oversize, I'm wondering if that has the driver toe or not, usually when they say oversize  it's not the driver version, but I might be wrong.

You are right. The store got the name wrong. Pictures clearly shows oversize toe piece not driver.
post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post


I dont know anything about Salomon bindings. The internet store where I found the Yumi has z10, L10 and sth12 driver oversize. The price was ski+binding mounting included. Her sole length is 298mm.

The birthday might be saved after all smile.gif

 

 

Without revisiting the entire thread, can you tell me what size she is> Height and weight?
 
Is it the Sth 12 oversize or Sth 12 Driver?  Driver = single pivot toe
 
Both of those are good bindings.  
 
Back to something that made me scratch my head......What size is your wife?  A 298mm shell is pretty big for a woman who's gearing up with a ski sub 160cm (in general)
 
Has she had her boots checked? duck.gif
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post


Im bad at feet, inches an stuff. She is 156 long and weight around 60. Her running shoes says shoe size 7us (38,5 eur). The boots are dalbello 40 nx flex 50 7 years old.

She says she is perfectly happy with those. The problem is that it is far to a proper boot fitter and I will never ever get her to travel 650-800 km for this. I will in October when buying my new boots.
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post


Im bad at feet, inches an stuff. She is 156 long and weight around 60. Her running shoes says shoe size 7us (38,5 eur). The boots are dalbello 40 nx flex 50 7 years old.

She says she is perfectly happy with those. The problem is that it is far to a proper boot fitter and I will never ever get her to travel 650-800 km for this. I will in October when buying new boots.

Is she traveling with you? You could buy the skis and bindings and wait until we have the boots re-checked like Trekchick suggested, 7 years old is pretty old, it might be time for a new one, who knows.

 

anyway, she is around 130lbs. those 12 or 13 DIN range bindings should work great for her! Griffon, Squire, Salomon OS or Driver, Look PX 12

post #41 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post

She is 156 long and weight around 60. Her running shoes says shoe size 7us (38,5 eur).

If she's a US size 7 in a 298 BSL, those boots are probably two sizes too big....
post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post


Im bad at feet, inches an stuff. She is 156 long and weight around 60. Her running shoes says shoe size 7us (38,5 eur). The boots are dalbello 40 nx flex 50 7 years old.

She says she is perfectly happy with those. The problem is that it is far to a proper boot fitter and I will never ever get her to travel 650-800 km for this. I will in October when buying my new boots.

While I think 7 years is too old for boots and she's in boots that are too big, I also understand the comfort level of some skiers and I like to see them return to the sport because they're happy and comfy. 

My suggestion is, plant the seed about new boots but don't push.  She'll make the move when/if she's ready. 

 

Example of sizing, which can only be addressed by a good boot fitter with over all foot shape/volume: 

I'm a street shoe 7 and measure a 24.5.  I'm in 23.5 but I really like the super snug fit.   A recreational fit is probably going to be one size smaller than what she's in depending on the boot and overall volume. 

 

Example of life expectancy:

I'm in a new boot every year but I get 90+ days a year in my boots. 

If she's had hers 7 years and gets 20(isn) days a year in them, then she's probably close to needing new boots.  Most people get 100-150 days in a boot before they feel that its done. 

 

Get her the skis and plant a seed for boots.  

Happy Wife = Happy Life

Just ask Phil biggrin.gif

post #43 of 52
Thanks again everybody. After work I will push the buy button on a pair of Yumi. But why do they have to be that pink.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

While I think 7 years is too old for boots and she's in boots that are too big, I also understand the comfort level of some skiers and I like to see them return to the sport because they're happy and comfy. 
My suggestion is, plant the seed about new boots but don't push.  She'll make the move when/if she's ready. 

Example of sizing, which can only be addressed by a good boot fitter with over all foot shape/volume: 
I'm a street shoe 7 and measure a 24.5.  I'm in 23.5 but I really like the super snug fit.   A recreational fit is probably going to be one size smaller than what she's in depending on the boot and overall volume. 

Example of life expectancy:
I'm in a new boot every year but I get 90+ days a year in my boots. 
If she's had hers 7 years and gets 20(isn) days a year in them, then she's probably close to needing new boots.  Most people get 100-150 days in a boot before they feel that its done. 

Get her the skis and plant a seed for boots.  
Happy Wife = Happy Life
Just ask Phil biggrin.gif

I agree totaly with the plan. As I mentioned in an earlier post I had to use beer so she would rent/demo a new ski. I wonder what I need to do to plant the boot seed.

Anyway I have gut feeling that she will be really happy on the new skis (except maybe for the color).
If her happiness = maximise my ski days I'm all in for whatever it takes. smile.gif
Edited by emil - 8/14/13 at 11:48pm
post #44 of 52

Pink is strong.  Fuchsia is even better.  Get her a Poc helmet that matches, and she'll flame on the snow.

post #45 of 52

You are lucky... my wife complains that her skis graphics are not girly enough! I kinda convinced her with the blizzard samba I bought last that it has a "heart" when you put both skis together! :-)

 

Agree with the POC suggestion! :-) Pair that with some Astis Mittens and then you have the most glowing person on the slopes! :-)

post #46 of 52

I'm not a fan of pink skis either but at least these aren't girly graphics.  I like the splash of green on them too. 

I've seen far worse. 

 

 

post #47 of 52


Sitrep

The skis has finally arrived. Wife is happy. She even liked the graphics. But I got some sarcastic comments about skis and summer.

Made a last minute upgrade to STH2 13.
Edited by emil - 9/9/13 at 10:13am
post #48 of 52

The Sth2 13 is what I have on my Nordica Wildfires.  They look really sharp! 

Love them on the Yumi's  

That sarcastic look will fade away when she gets out to ski on them.  Then, you'll be the most awesome husband EVER!!

post #49 of 52

Definitely get her the Icelantic Oracle in a 155. Can't say enough good things about this ski, by far one of the best women's skis on the market and it fits the description of what you mentioned perfectly. Made in America, best, most quality, durable ski with a 2 year warranty and beautiful artwork graphics. Incredible value, she will be so stoked!

http://www.icelanticskis.com/ski_detail.cfm?categoryID=1&subCatID=4&productID=150

post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyV View Post

Definitely get her the Icelantic Oracle in a 155. Can't say enough good things about this ski, by far one of the best women's skis on the market and it fits the description of what you mentioned perfectly. Made in America, best, most quality, durable ski with a 2 year warranty and beautiful artwork graphics. Incredible value, she will be so stoked!
http://www.icelanticskis.com/ski_detail.cfm?categoryID=1&subCatID=4&productID=150

Thanks but you are a little bit late biggrin.gif. It is a pic of the wifes skis two post up.

The Islandic seams to be good ski but it is not my wifes sking style. I like the smaller companies in principle but since we live in Sweden I would probalbly then buy something like this if she needed a wider ski.
http://extrem.com/sv/skis/project-100-woman/
post #51 of 52
My wife is also up for some new, wider skis.
Something that can handle the groomed runs and especially the bumps, but will take to powder and crud better than her current full camber narrow 67mm wide skis.

Was looking at the icelantic oracle in 165 and k2 remedy 102 in 169 length.
5'7", 145, plus a backpack most of the time. Intermediate skier.

Lake Superior and Colorado/Utah.

Would the oracle be alright for goofing around in the small terrain park, jumps, some switch riding at slower speeds or should she go with the remedies?

We are not park rats, but like to play around a bit with our young kids.
post #52 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjaardbreeuwer View Post

My wife is also up for some new, wider skis.
Something that can handle the groomed runs and especially the bumps, but will take to powder and crud better than her current full camber narrow 67mm wide skis.

Was looking at the icelantic oracle in 165 and k2 remedy 102 in 169 length.
5'7", 145, plus a backpack most of the time. Intermediate skier.

Lake Superior and Colorado/Utah.

Would the oracle be alright for goofing around in the small terrain park, jumps, some switch riding at slower speeds or should she go with the remedies?

We are not park rats, but like to play around a bit with our young kids.

 

 Hi -- let me be the first to welcome you to Epic!  

 

Since this is an old-ish thread, I'd recommend starting a new one.  You'll get more immediate attention that way.  Go to the home page, click on Forums.  On the Forums page, click on Ski Gear Discussions.  When that page loads, click on the button that says "Start a New Thread."  Mention in the thread title that you're looking for skis for your wife -- this will flag it for experienced female gear addicts (TrekChick, et. al.).  Good luck!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What new skis for the wife?