or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What new skis for the wife?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What new skis for the wife?

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 

Background:

Height:  5'4"

Weight:  130

Days on snow:  20-30

Where we ski:  Stowe (we have a free place to stay, so at the moment ski almost exclusively at Stowe)

Likes to ski:  bumps, trees (still learning the woods here), will bomb groomers from time to time

 

My wife is overdue for new skis, she's currently on 152 Dynastar Exclusive 11's (112-70-98), and has been very happy with them.  She does think they are too narrow, we seem to be seeing a more powder days than she was when she bought the Dynastars at the end of '06.

 

When conditions allow we ski mostly bumps and trees.  Goat is her favorite trail, by no means ripping it, but definitely skiing it vs surviving it (she does not ski the top, enters from Haychute/Liftline).

 

She is leaning towards the Icelantic Oracle, and thinking 165 is the way to go.  Thoughts on this as her only ski?  And is the 165 the right length for what she wants to ski?

 

Other skis being considered:

Blizzard Black Pearl - I think the 159 would be perfect. 

Blizzard Samba - size?

Blizzard Kabookie - size?

 

I'm a little dubious about going from 70 under foot 152's to 100 under foot 165's, seems like kind of a big jump, especially considering the terrain she favors.

 

I would rather not add more skis to the mix unless none of these are good options.

post #2 of 52

From those you suggested without adding to your list, (as you requested), 

The Black Pearl is the most versatile. 

The Samba and Kabookie are essentially the same and I like the Samba a lot, in fact, its my daily driver. 

 

Another question: 

Is she a hard charger or is she a little timid? 

 

The reason I ask is because even though the Samba is a forgiving ski it really likes to be driven. 

 

The Black Pearl in a 166 could be a good ski at her weight, but if she's coming from a 152 Exclusive 11 she may like the 159.  

 

I really think you can't go wrong with the Black Pearl in either of those sizes. 

 

FWIW I have not skied the Oracle but I've heard really good things about it.  Check out some of the reviews that I've tagged on the right side of this page. 


Edited by Trekchick - 6/13/13 at 3:06pm
post #3 of 52
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the feedback and insights.

 

As far as whether she is a hard charger, I would so no.  Not timid either.  She has solid technique, but is a little lazy about it.  By that I mean she will take the straightest line possible tending towards GS - Super G turn shapes on wide open groomers.  She skis with good balance, not in the back seat, but is definitely not driving her skis with a lot of forward pressure and power, or laying them over at extreme angles.  In the bumps and trees she skis solidly and in control, no zipperlining or really blasting through tight spaces, more smooth...until she gets spit out.

post #4 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrspear View Post

Thanks for the feedback and insights.

 

As far as whether she is a hard charger, I would so no.  Not timid either.  She has solid technique, but is a little lazy about it.  By that I mean she will take the straightest line possible tending towards GS - Super G turn shapes on wide open groomers.  She skis with good balance, not in the back seat, but is definitely not driving her skis with a lot of forward pressure and power, or laying them over at extreme angles.  In the bumps and trees she skis solidly and in control, no zipperlining or really blasting through tight spaces, more smooth...until she gets spit out.

The Black Pearl is probably the better choice for her in a 166, 

She should like the extra length in the longer radius turns. 

post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrspear View Post

Thanks for the feedback and insights.

 

As far as whether she is a hard charger, I would so no.  Not timid either.  She has solid technique, but is a little lazy about it.  By that I mean she will take the straightest line possible tending towards GS - Super G turn shapes on wide open groomers.  She skis with good balance, not in the back seat, but is definitely not driving her skis with a lot of forward pressure and power, or laying them over at extreme angles.  In the bumps and trees she skis solidly and in control, no zipperlining or really blasting through tight spaces, more smooth...until she gets spit out.

Not exactly how I ski but close.  I'm a few inches shorter and a bit lighter than she is and went with 159cm for the BP.  I think she'd like the 166 better.  My all-mountain Rossi Attraxion 8's are 154cm and 75 underfoot.  The first time I demo'd the BP 159 included a couple runs in a big bowl with soft bumps.  Way more fun than my Attraxions.

post #6 of 52
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the advice ladies, this will definitely help. My wife had been thinking longer was the way to go, so this confirms it.
post #7 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

From those you suggested without adding to your list, (as you requested), 

The Black Pearl is the most versatile. 

The Samba and Kabookie are essentially the same and I like the Samba a lot, in fact, its my daily driver. 

 

Another question: 

Is she a hard charger or is she a little timid? 

 

The reason I ask is because even though the Samba is a forgiving ski it really likes to be driven. 

 

The Black Pearl in a 166 could be a good ski at her weight, but if she's coming from a 152 Exclusive 11 she may like the 159.  

 

I really think you can't go wrong with the Black Pearl in either of those sizes. 

 

FWIW I have not skied the Oracle but I've heard really good things about it.  Check out some of the reviews that I've tagged on the right side of this page. 

 

Kinda getting in the way on the discussion for a side question... when you say the samba needs to be driven, I'm kinda thinking isn't that true for all the "fat" skis with good edge grip on firmer snow? Looks like every time I hear someone saying the ski is not that much of a lazy skier ski it usually also has good hard snow edge hold like what's said about the samba or even the bonafide for instance!

post #8 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post

 

Kinda getting in the way on the discussion for a side question... when you say the samba needs to be driven, I'm kinda thinking isn't that true for all the "fat" skis with good edge grip on firmer snow? Looks like every time I hear someone saying the ski is not that much of a lazy skier ski it usually also has good hard snow edge hold like what's said about the samba or even the bonafide for instance!

That's correct for the most part,  which is why I asked a few more questions of the OP. 

It just seems like she'll have a lot more fun on the Black Pearl 

post #9 of 52

Just wanted to add my little 0.02$. I was skiing on a 166 traditional camber ski similar in dimensions to your wife's Dynastar's. I bought the Black Pearl this spring in 173. I tried them for 2 days at Whistler in less than ideal spring conditions (May) and can say they felt great to ski on - certainly not harder than my old 166's. The rocker in the tip and tail really does make them ski shorter. To me, they felt as easy to manoeuvre as my old skis - maybe even easier and definitely more lively. I think the 7cm difference is perfect. Maybe the 166 would be a little too long for your wife? Not sure. Your wife does sound a little more advanced than me. But with the fact she likes to ski mostly bumps, the slightly shorter might be better. I am 5"9" - just as a point of comparison. BTW, now that I've tried the BP's, I am very curious to try the Samba. The BP's were super easy for me to ski in the soft spring snow, so I think I could handle the Samba - the salesman steered me toward the BP and said the Samba was a lot more ski to handle. But I think it would have been fine for me, and probably even better for big snow days here on the west coast...


Edited by Sharoski - 6/14/13 at 6:47pm
post #10 of 52

Heres my old review for the Oracles:

http://www.epicski.com/products/2012-icelantic-oracle

My wife thinks they're the best ever! Still an amazing ski and is truly her one-ski quiver. Seriously. That's all she uses.

post #11 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post

Heres my old review for the Oracles:

http://www.epicski.com/products/2012-icelantic-oracle

My wife thinks they're the best ever! Still an amazing ski and is truly her one-ski quiver. Seriously. That's all she uses.

That's the review I tagged on the right side of the page.  Thanks for putting that up.  biggrin.gif

post #12 of 52
Fellow northern New Englander here. I've skied the Samba. Nice ski, but can't imagine choosing it as a OSQ for Stowe ... especially for bumps. Have not been on the black pearl, but that sounds like a very solid pick with a high fun factor. Don't go too short, as others have said. I would buy that ski in a 173, and I am 5 7 135lbs. imho the oracle is a much riskier purchase without a demo just because it doesn't have a big pool of thumbs up testimonials like the bp. Apologies got the cell phone casing.
post #13 of 52
Thread Starter 
Excellent, so where I have arrived is that the Black Pearl is the first choice, but she should definitely be happy with the Samba or the Oracle. Most importantly we've nailed down the size to 166 (165 for the Icelantics). As always, Epic Ski comes through.
post #14 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrspear View Post

Excellent, so where I have arrived is that the Black Pearl is the first choice, but she should definitely be happy with the Samba or the Oracle. Most importantly we've nailed down the size to 166 (165 for the Icelantics). As always, Epic Ski comes through.

 

I don't know about the other skis, but to be perfectly honest, I'm sure she'll enjoy any of the prospective skis you're looking at quite a bit. I still wish it was easier to find demos of these things. Never seen an Icelantic demo anywhere. Just had to buy ours (I have the Keepers for myself now) on the hopes that we would like them, and thankfully we did end up enjoying them...a lot.

post #15 of 52

BBR Sunlite, easy to ski, carves like nothing else, ski all day without killing yourself

post #16 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post

BBR Sunlite, easy to ski, carves like nothing else, ski all day without killing yourself


You can't read through a thread full of GREAT ski suggestions, then sully it by suggesting someone pick up Solly's gaper lineup.

post #17 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post

BBR Sunlite, easy to ski, carves like nothing else, ski all day without killing yourself

Salomon has some really nice skis in this category but the BBR is not one I'd suggest for this woman. 

 

IF the OP wants to look at some other options, I'll add a few from Salomon.  

2014 Salomon Q 88 Lux Women's Ski

2014 Salomon Q 96 Lumen

post #18 of 52

This is the problem with this forum. Unless you behave like a caveman your not welcome or at least made to feel that way. What ever happend to the manners or courtesy. Lost on this crowd for sure.

post #19 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post

This is the problem with this forum. Unless you behave like a caveman your not welcome or at least made to feel that way. What ever happend to the manners or courtesy. Lost on this crowd for sure.

This isn't necessarily true. 

 

The OP was asking for information about some skis that were in a specific category.  The Sunlight is not any where near the line up he (and his wife) are looking at.  

If you'd suggested something like the Salomon Rockette from 2013 or the Lux/Lumen from 2014 I'd say you were on track.  

 

Generally when someone starts a thread asking for information in a specific category, they've already got it narrowed down. 

post #20 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post

 

I don't know about the other skis, but to be perfectly honest, I'm sure she'll enjoy any of the prospective skis you're looking at quite a bit. I still wish it was easier to find demos of these things. Never seen an Icelantic demo anywhere. Just had to buy ours (I have the Keepers for myself now) on the hopes that we would like them, and thankfully we did end up enjoying them...a lot.

Lots in Colorado ....

post #21 of 52
Im reading this tread with interest. My wife has asked me to find some new skiis for her. I was leaning towards Rossignol Saffron 7 if autum reviews looks good. Now I maybe need to rethink slightly. Well more reviews to read ,happy summer days.
post #22 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post

Im reading this tread with interest. My wife has asked me to find some new skiis for her. I was leaning towards Rossignol Saffron 7 if autum reviews looks good. Now I maybe need to rethink slightly. Well more reviews to read ,happy summer days.

First of all, has she demo'd any skis? 

What ski is she currently on? 

Does she want a ski to compliment it or replace it? 

What type of terrain does she currently ski?

Does she want to get a ski that will inspire her to cover more terrain or something that helps her on the terrain she's currently skiing?

How aggressive or timid is she? 

post #23 of 52

I dont want to hijack hrspears thread but since you were kind to ask.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

First of all, has she demo'd any skis? 

What ski is she currently on? 

Does she want a ski to compliment it or replace it? 

What type of terrain does she currently ski?

Does she want to get a ski that will inspire her to cover more terrain or something that helps her on the terrain she's currently skiing?

How aggressive or timid is she?

 

Last day this season (after a few beers and some prodding the day before) she rented a pair of Völkl Aura. At the end of the day she confessed that she wanted new skiis. The Aura was perfect in slush conditions but she though that they were to heavy and not "turny" enough.

 

Here in Sweden at least were we live it is unfortunately almost impossible to demo skiis. She is currenty on some old thinner Salomon carvers that I have forgot the name of.

"Wife data":

120lbs, Intermediate, Medium aggresive but not fast. Enjoys most ungroomed blue (red in Sweden) and black terrain. 80/20 pist/off in reality. I guess that she will keep the old skiis for hard and icy days.

 

Her favorite resort is the small Swedish mountain Kittelfjäll. Less than a handfull groomed but plenty of ungroomed

 

http://www.google.se/imgres?imgurl=http://www.freeride.se/img/resort/skimap/large/17.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.freeride.se/skidorter/kittelfjall/pistkarta/&h=467&w=660&sz=101&tbnid=zumFXYeKbbGgjM:&tbnh=86&tbnw=121&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dkittelfj%25C3%25A4ll%2Bpistkarta%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=kittelfj%C3%A4ll+pistkarta&usg=__Wi2h_8Usgu2jnZpQ0qfeBCWmvrw=&docid=uPiCtMRsihB1MM&sa=X&ei=7Xi_UbrXM8T3sgb3_YB4&ved=0CDkQ9QEwAQ&dur=395

post #24 of 52

The Saffron7 is pretty fun.  Its the replacement for the old Women's S3.   The Saffron7 has a better tail profile and it comes around nicely, while the tip is much like the old S3 in how it engages.

 

If she's sincerely looking for something that is 80/20 Piste/offpiste, and she liked the Aura except for the weight, then the Skis mentioned above are (perhaps) a better pick for her.

 

I'd start with the Black Pearl, Nordica Wild Belles and Salomon Lux 

 

If you want to stick with something in the high 90's waist, then put the Samba, Saffron7, Hells Belles, and Lumen in the mix. 

 

There are a lot of great skis in this category this coming year. 

post #25 of 52
Thanks. I will look into these suggestions. I have been a little worried to propose a to wide ski and will look a little bit more in the 80 range. Anyway I will compile a short list and have a discussion with my wife after summer. Right now she does not want to talk skis. Some of the skiis proposed will probably end up on that short list. Regarding the Auras my guess is that she would enjoyed any wider/more stable skis that particular slush day.
Edited by emil - 6/17/13 at 11:38pm
post #26 of 52

About the Aura - A lot of people love that ski because it has great edge hold and is quite stable.  But I find it to be a little too stiff for most of the women who its marketed for. 

When she says that its too heavy, I'm guessing that she liked its edge hold, driving force and stability, but it got tiring to stay on top of it and make it turn after a while.  At her size, there are better skis for her in that category including those listed above.  I'd also add the Atomic Elysian to the mix. 

 

I'll be sure to tag all of these skis on the right side of this page so you can look up the factory information and EpicSki reviews. 

 

Please feel free to ask anything you'd like.  I'll try to be kindly blunt. 

post #27 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Please feel free to ask anything you'd like.  I'll try to be kindly blunt. 

 

Well finally I got some ski related time with the wife. We concluded that a new ski for her should probably be one with conventional camber but with a moderate tiprocker (No elf shoe), medium radius, ~85-90mm. I have compiled a new short list.

Hells Bells

Wild Belle

Völkl Kenja

Black Pearls

Rossignol temptation

Today I found a pair of Kenjas 12/13 at a bargin price only avalibale in 149 length. She skis 149 today and is happy. She also liked the Auras she demoed as I mentioned in earlier posts . Her birthday is coming up in 2 weeks and I wonder if I should press the button. As a side note Nordica and Blizzard seams to be harder to find for some decent prices. I would have bought some on the blem sale without thinking if we were living in US.


Edited by emil - 8/14/13 at 5:54am
post #28 of 52

As I stated above, I feel that the Aura and Kenja are a bit stiff for someone her size but there are a lot of women who like the stability of that stiffness.  If you found the Kenja for her and she's had good luck with the Aura, pull the trigger. 

 

I have a feeling she won't need her old groomer skis because she'll be on these all the time. 


Edited by Trekchick - 8/14/13 at 7:18am
post #29 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by emil View Post

Well finally I got some ski related time with the wife. We concluded that a new ski for her should probably be one with conventional camber but with a moderate tiprocker (No elf shoe), medium radius, ~85-90mm. I have compiled a new short list.
Hells Bells
Wild Belle
Völkl Kenja
Black Pearls
Rossignol temptation
Today I found a pair of Kenjas 12/13 at a bargin price only avalibale in 149 length. She skis 149 today and is happy. She also liked the Auras she demoed as I mentioned in earlier posts . Her birthday is coming up in 2 weeks and I wonder if I should press the button. As a side note Nordica and Blizzard seams to be harder to find for some decent prices. I would have bought some on the blem sale without thinking if we were living in US.
The Temptation 88 in the 152 is a really stiff uncompromising ski, be careful. You are trying to do this on the cheap, I understand and respect that, but we are talking about buying a s for your wife and making her happy. Are you sure this is where you want to save money, risking her skiing enjoyment? For a few dollars, why risk it? Because if she isn't having fun out there you sure as hell won't be and in the long will end up costing you a whole lot more than a discount (stiff) ski, than a ski she will be enjoying. There are some skis that do not ski well in their shortest lengths ei the Kenja or temp88 and others that still do like the Black Pearl or the Belles from Nordica. Be careful on the Belles though, buy then flat in these lengths, the EVO binding is too long for these short skis.
post #30 of 52
Thanks for the quick replies. The Kenjas and Rossi temptations is now off the short list. I need to find something else for the birthday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

As I stated above, I feel that the Aura and Kenja are a bit stiff for someone her size but there are a lot of women who like the stability of that stiffness.  

I guess that was the stability and crud performace the she liked in the Auras. But a too stiff ski is bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpug View Post

The Temptation 88 in the 152 is a really stiff uncompromising ski, be careful. You are trying to do this on the cheap, I understand and respect that, but we are talking about buying a s for your wife and making her happy. Are you sure this is where you want to save money, risking her skiing enjoyment? For a few dollars, why risk it? Because if she isn't having fun out there you sure as hell won't be and in the long will end up costing you a whole lot more than a discount (stiff) ski, than a ski she will be enjoying. There are some skis that do not ski well in their shortest lengths ei the Kenja or temp88 and others that still do like the Black Pearl or the Belles from Nordica. Be careful on the Belles though, buy then flat in these lengths, the EVO binding is too long for these short skis.

Her happiness is most important. At least I think we can affort the skis that is most suited for her. The problem is just to find them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › What new skis for the wife?