- 1,710 Posts. Joined 3/2005
- Location: Melrose, Massachusetts
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Spring Skiing in ColoRADo! March 17 - 19 Last post on 3/23/17 at 8:00am in Trip Reports
- Spring vacation trip ideas, for a family with beginners, intermediates, and advanced skiers Last post on Yesterday at 7:25 pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Copper Tickets for Group Last post on 3/15/17 at 5:48pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Newbie to Alpine skiing - where to start? [from Denver - a Beginner Zone topic] Last post on 2/10/17 at 9:07pm in Beginner Zone
- Request for input related to deciding between Copper, Winter Park or Steamboat for family trip Last post on 1/27/17 at 2:24pm in Family Skiing Discussions
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/24/16
- 2017 Blizzard Skis PreviewLast edited: 8/4/16
- Colorado Spring Skiing: Don't Fear the AprilLast edited: 6/1/13
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
SIA demo moving to Copper in 2014 - Page 2post #31 of 456/12/13 at 6:16pmThen you must drive! It is very likely that the Utah gathering will overlap with a gathering of Alta Kackers.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #32 of 451/25/14 at 8:55am
A little stoke...SIA just popped into the forecast window and while it's a way out it's looking good.Quote:
Snow for the northern mountains, eastern foothills and plains on Monday. Then additional snow for the northern mountains from Wednesday through Saturday, though I have low confidence in the snow amounts during this time. I have higher confidence that a storm will bring snow to most of Colorado, including the southern mountains, sometime between February 2nd to 5th.
Lots of snow starved folks will be visiting, so hopefully Colorado will deliver some pow. At the very least, the base is in place and Copper will likely be 100% open by then. It's just the Tucker Mountain snowcat accessed terrain yet to open, probably one storm away.
Here's a current pic of Tucker from the webcam on top of Union Peak:post #33 of 451/31/14 at 4:34ampost #34 of 451/31/14 at 5:58ampost #35 of 451/31/14 at 6:34amQuote:
Where in the past few years, we were testing hard snow skis at SIA...looks like there might be a different strategy for this season...98's and above it looks like.post #36 of 451/31/14 at 7:26amThread StarterQuote:
I assume you've tested your fill of hard snow skis in the past year or so....post #37 of 451/31/14 at 9:34amQuote:
I'm hoping to try out my Katana V Werks in their intended environment Sunday before the on-snow testing starts.post #38 of 451/31/14 at 10:40pm
A little stoke from Copper today:
Those are the Fremont glades (far skiers right) on Tucker taken from the Black Jack lift.
Here's a picture of Tucker Mountain I took last year from the Mountain Chief lift (after getting some of the first tracks of the year, so it's my avatar )post #39 of 452/1/14 at 3:34ampost #40 of 452/1/14 at 8:34am
Oh my, the skies have parted! Here's a live look at Tucker:
That looks... very dangerous. They are going to bomb that into oblivion before it opens. I'd think at least a day's work, then several days at least of directed skiing and maybe more blasting. Bring your beacon if you have one, seriously. Patrol going to be busy picking up body parts today and tomorrow. It will be interesting to see when they can even get started with Tucker control work.
If they somehow get it open by Mon or Tues, don't plan to demo many skis and ski Tucker in the same day. From the base it's 30 mins to get there. One to two hours for a lap depending on the line for the snowcat, then another 20 mins to get back to the base. That will all change very soon when there's a lift up there
Edit: consider having earplugs with you if you are skiing Copper bowl anytime soon. It's gonna be loud when they get to work on that. Fun show to watch too.post #41 of 452/2/14 at 6:50am
Tucker planned to open today. Sounds like they think they can get control work done and open it today.Quote:TUCKER MOUNTAIN is expected to open today weather and conditions permitting for the first time this season. Fremont 1 will be closed. The snowcat is expected to run to Lallarookn and TUCKER MOUNTAIN today from 10am to 2pm.
Looks like they got some work done yesterday.
Probably more blasting today before it opens. I'd talk to a patroller about how long it might take before waiting in line. Not sure I'd waste half my day waiting in line for Tucker. I'd probably be scavenging leftovers and looking to get in line for Tucker early tomorrow. There will be plenty left on Tucker tomorrow.
GO BRONCOS!post #42 of 452/2/14 at 6:47pmpost #43 of 452/2/14 at 6:54pmpost #44 of 452/2/14 at 8:10pmpost #45 of 452/3/14 at 3:17pm
Looks like a fun day out there today. Plenty of room for all the tents at the bustling center village.
Meanwhile, it was a typical sleepy Monday over at the Super Bee:
- SIA demo moving to Copper in 2014
- 2017 Blizzard Skis Preview
- › Great older skis 31 minutes ago
- › MA this intermediate(ish) senior skier 36 minutes ago
- › Bump turn on flats 41 minutes ago
- › Using the ankles to maintain balance and to increase your skills 46 minutes ago
- › MA my bump skiing 46 minutes ago
- › The 2017 Oregon Ski Safari : 60 years old. 50 years of skiing... 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › Anyone still ski and love vintage equipment? 1 hour, 40 minutes ago
- › Summit County 4/11-13 1 hour, 53 minutes ago
- › Review: Parlor Kingfisher 105 in medium and stiff flexes 2016-2017 1 hour, 55 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview