or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Let the (ACL) Healing Begin! - Page 5

post #121 of 143

Congrats!

 

Eventually I found that the non-braced knee would have some soreness at the end of the day, but no soreness in the braced knee at the end of the day - I guess that custom carbon fiber brace was pretty supportive...

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #122 of 143

Nice!  Good to see you back out there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdf View Post
 

It was spectacularly good.  My knee felt good, my brace was comfortable, my contact lenses that I hadn't worn in a long time felt good, the weather was fantastic, and most of the trails had a nice surface.

 

I started out slow....  I didn't ski this until my sixth run.

 

 

I did think the knee was a little sore on my first steep (non-bump) run, when I was being hyper-aware and paranoid.  Nothing I would have noticed if I wasn't looking for it.  And then it either went away or I forgot about it.  My knee feels fine tonight.

 

My only after-effect is that my good knee has a sore spot where the hinge on the brace banged  into it.

 

Hope your first day on snow goes as well...

post #123 of 143
Did any of you veterans do anything special to protect the non-braced knee from getting bumped into by the outside of the hinge? It sticks out about 3/4 of an inch.
post #124 of 143

I used my bulky custom carbon brace under my ski pants so it really wasn't an issue for me to address due the padding the pants provided. BTW, the main reason I used the brace underneath was to avoid the potential of it catching the brace on my other pants leg. 

 

Now, I use simple neoprene sleeves on both knees for compression/warmth (under my ski pants), and one of those on your other knee would certainly mitigate the bump issue. The neoprene sleeves provide little if any support, but definitely help with bumping when I run slalom gates and some errant gates slip past my shin guards. The neoprene sleeve itself is decent padding when wearing thin pants.

post #125 of 143
Thread Starter 

Well, I finally did it. On 1/11, 230 days after surgery and 338 post-ACL rupture, I finally went skiing.

 

December became too hectic with the holidays and travel. I was in Deer Valley to watch the Freestyle World Cup (an Olympic Selection event) and an alumni get together. My back kept me off the snow for the first few days, but I a killer deep tissue massage and some hottubbing to finally loosen it up. I didn't want anything to prevent me from seeing the events, so I wasn't going to push it.

 

So last Saturday, I bit the bullet. Definitely nervous the first run--especially since I was carrying a 25+ # pack that I needed to drop off at the competition venue. Took an easy blue. Had new custom insoles, new skis, and, oh yeah, a new ACL. Believe it or not, I remembered how to ski. :D Although, I didn't realize how nerve wracking that first run would be. Felt much better once I got rid of the pack and then went skiing on blues. It felt good--it felt normal. The final run I skied the bullet proof run next to the mogul run. Definitely hard pack combined with ice on a steep run. Felt like I could really hold an edge and rebound into the next turn (I was wearing a pair of carvers 76 mm underfoot.) Final run was around 9 PM when the competition was over and the hill had cleared out. No problem staying on edge.

 

That night I had a lot of heat and swelling in the knee. Had to get up and ice it as 2 AM. The bag started leaking about 3:30 AM and that was an unpleasant surprise. Some stiffness and swelling the next day. Not sure if this was due to skiing or standing for 3 days or wearing the brace. I have hardly had any swelling during my whole rehab process.

 

Will get to try out a longer day tomorrow. Sunday is reserved for watching the Broncos vs. Patriots game. (Go Broncos!)

 

Day 1 down and many more to follow. I've set a goal to reach my age this year--if Arapahoe Basin has a lengthy season, I don't think that should be too much of an issue.

 

I'm taking the approach at this point that the best way to get in shape to ski (at this point) is by actually skiing.

 

The view before my first run.

 

*

 

The run I wish I could ski. (I instead opted for the trail to the right). ~Photo courtesy Deer Valley.

*

post #126 of 143

I had my 2nd day back today.  Took the day bus to Sunday River.

It was a lot icier than my 1st trip, and I felt it a little in my knee.  Then I got my act together and quit going sideways, and my knee was fine.

 

I'm feeling lucky how trouble-free my new knee is.

 

I bought one of these

 

to protect my "good"  knee from getting bumped by the outside of the hinge on the real brace.  I got it oversized since I don't want compression, just padding.  It seemed to help.

 

I didn't realize how easily the inside pads on the Donjoy Armor brace come off -- I almost lost one.  I just happened to notice it loose in the trunk of my car after I pulled my gloves out of my bag.  I'm going to be careful to always keep the Donjoy in the mesh bag it came with from now on.

 

rx2ski - hope your stiffness and swelling is a first-day-only effect.  "Let the ACL Healing continue!"

post #127 of 143
Thread Starter 

I was really surprised by the stiffness and swelling since I rarely ever had any during the recovery, but I'll just have to go out and do it again and see what happens.

Didn't go skiing this past weekend since I had birthday stuff and a little Broncos football game to watch. :) Happy Dance!

I'll give it more of a test next weekend.

post #128 of 143

Glad you're both progressing, and yes there is some soreness afterwards. Just stay at it, there is less soreness in your future!

post #129 of 143

Got 12 days skiing in so far on my unrepaired ACL. Doesn't bother me at all while skiing, still gets sore while in bed at night but that happens whether I skied or not. Wearing a Bledsoe brace with a neoprene sleeve underneath. Haven't had any issues with the brace scraping my other knee. I wear the brace under my ski pants.

post #130 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
 

Got 12 days skiing in so far on my unrepaired ACL. Doesn't bother me at all while skiing, still gets sore while in bed at night but that happens whether I skied or not. Wearing a Bledsoe brace with a neoprene sleeve underneath. Haven't had any issues with the brace scraping my other knee. I wear the brace under my ski pants.

Nice! Your strong brace should help stabilize your knee, and also keeping strong quads/hams helps. I've skied with some great skiers that have no ACL. This is my 6th season since my ACL Recon, and I've skied 34 days this season, and 346 total days since the surgery. Today I use only neoprene sleeves on both knees for compression/warmth.

post #131 of 143
Thread Starter 
Any advice on a brand for neoprene sleeves? With the generally aging of the knees, I think both would appreciate a little extra added warmth.
post #132 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by rx2ski View Post

Any advice on a brand for neoprene sleeves? With the generally aging of the knees, I think both would appreciate a little extra added warmth.

I'm using the Ossur ones which are $14 on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ossur-Formfit-Knee-Brace-Sleeve-Support-/110969825264?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item19d65127f0

 

Ossur also made my custom carbon fiber brace I used my first season back, and which was prescribed by my surgeon. I like these simple sleeves because they don't have any strong patella (knee cap) re-centering feature, which I find uncomfortable. These just have a simple hole punched for the knee cap. In about 10 ski days they do show some wear stress around that hole but it doesn't affect the performance. I'm still on the same set I started with this season, and have 34 days this season on them. I use a pair, one on each knee - even though only one knee has an ACL Recon.

post #133 of 143
Thread Starter 

Those look a lot nicer than the ones from DonJoy. The DonJoy one doesn't fit me correctly and that Ossur one seems like it's tapered towards the knee for a better fit.

Thanks!

post #134 of 143
The guy who put the plate and screws in to hold my tibia plateau together a couple years ago gave me an Ossur hinged knee brace (on fleabay for $75) to help my MCL heal up from a "stretching" I experienced a month ago. He said I could teach "easy" bumps but no hucking. The latter ain't likely to happen anyway.
post #135 of 143
I've been very happy with my knee at the gathering. Skiing hard nearly bell to bell with no issues. A tiny bit of soreness at the end of one of the days. Back out for day 5 of the gathering in a little while.
post #136 of 143

Have any of you checked into or talked to your ortho about the DonJoy Reaction WEB Knee Brace

I sprained my MCL earlier this season and used one of these for a month or so.  Once I figured out how to put it on properly, I was really comfortable with it and felt that I had great support.  Now I'm just wearing Opedix. 

post #137 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson View Post

The guy who put the plate and screws in to hold my tibia plateau together a couple years ago gave me an Ossur hinged knee brace (on fleabay for $75) to help my MCL heal up from a "stretching" I experienced a month ago. He said I could teach "easy" bumps but no hucking. The latter ain't likely to happen anyway.

 

I want to do some easy bumps later in the season when they're nice and soft. No rush, I have another 30+ years of skiing left in me. :)

post #138 of 143
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
 

Have any of you checked into or talked to your ortho about the DonJoy Reaction WEB Knee Brace

I sprained my MCL earlier this season and used one of these for a month or so.  Once I figured out how to put it on properly, I was really comfortable with it and felt that I had great support.  Now I'm just wearing Opedix.

 I have my regular DonJoy brace--bulky but will wear this year. I wish I had some Opedix--I want them to make another style that incorporates both the core and knee before I layout that kind of money. (It is in the works.)

post #139 of 143

I am 3 weeks removed from surgery to my left ACL.  I originally tore the ACL 11 years ago playing hockey, and when I woke up from surgery, the doctor said they decided the ligament was intact enough that they could shrink it and repair the ligament.  This was known as an ACL Shrinkage or Repair.

 

Fast forward to December 2013, I come out of my binding on a deep pow day in Vail (didn't even fall!) and grabbed my ski, planted my left leg on the top of the mogul and heard the dreaded 'pop'.  Skied the rest of the vacation with no pain or instability, although I wore my ACL brace that I happened to bring with me.

 

MRI results showed a full ACL rupture, basically nothing was even left, just a hole where the ligament should've been.  I probably only had x% of a full ACL left when I tore it on the slopes.  After 11 years, the original ACL Shrinkage procedure isn't even performed anymore, as this was determined it never worked in the first place.

 

Anyways, I had surgery 3 weeks ago with my hamstring graft.  Recovery has been a process, flexion with assitance during PT is the worst, although the excruciating pain is getting more manageable.  Don't have full extension yet but should within a week I think.  

 

Planning to ski for the 1st time 11 months from surgery which should be more than enough time given my doctor said 6 months originally.  

post #140 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

I've been very happy with my knee at the gathering. Skiing hard nearly bell to bell with no issues. A tiny bit of soreness at the end of one of the days. Back out for day 5 of the gathering in a little while.

 

Gathering is over now.  Skiied 7 days in a row, often with the "hard chargers" group.  Included steeps, trees, moguls.  Knee gave me no problems.  Used my DonJoy Armor brace.  And all that time in the gym doing rehab meant I was the least tired at the end of the day I have ever been -- just a couple days when I felt my technique was ragged the last few runs.

post #141 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jor17 View Post
 

I am 3 weeks removed from surgery to my left ACL.  I originally tore the ACL 11 years ago playing hockey, and when I woke up from surgery, the doctor said they decided the ligament was intact enough that they could shrink it and repair the ligament.  This was known as an ACL Shrinkage or Repair.

 

Fast forward to December 2013, I come out of my binding on a deep pow day in Vail (didn't even fall!) and grabbed my ski, planted my left leg on the top of the mogul and heard the dreaded 'pop'.  Skied the rest of the vacation with no pain or instability, although I wore my ACL brace that I happened to bring with me.

 

MRI results showed a full ACL rupture, basically nothing was even left, just a hole where the ligament should've been.  I probably only had x% of a full ACL left when I tore it on the slopes.  After 11 years, the original ACL Shrinkage procedure isn't even performed anymore, as this was determined it never worked in the first place.

 

Anyways, I had surgery 3 weeks ago with my hamstring graft.  Recovery has been a process, flexion with assitance during PT is the worst, although the excruciating pain is getting more manageable.  Don't have full extension yet but should within a week I think.  

 

Planning to ski for the 1st time 11 months from surgery which should be more than enough time given my doctor said 6 months originally.  

 

Hang in there, its a long haul! You will start to feel human in a couple more weeks then the rebuilding starts.  Its mentally draining so just be aware of it and keep a positive mindset.  Thumbs Up

post #142 of 143
Thread Starter 

A year ago today, I had my ACL reconstruction. I'll celebrate with a 3-day ski weekend at A-Basin over the Memorial Day weekend. I'm ready for some soft slushy bumps!

 

:ski

post #143 of 143

I tore my ACL skiing a few years ago and was really worried about my return to skiing. I had the op same as you, started skiing about a year later after physio and it is better than new (I ski more aggressive now than before and without any brace, etc. which is the reason I had the operation). Good luck...physio was initially tough and I thought it would never return to normal but you will be amazed!

 

Shawn

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gear mentioned in this thread: