or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Ski Baby

post #1 of 24
Thread Starter 

 

Definitive answer to the question we often get here on EpicSki: How young can I start my child skiing? 

post #2 of 24
Damn it. Aiden is already 1 1/2. He'll never be the worlds greatest ski mountaineer now.
post #3 of 24

The kid is catching bigger air in the terrain park than I do!

 

I've been schooled by a one year old!

post #4 of 24

Now that is impressive.  At 1 yr, my son was just learning to walk, never mind ski.  Fortunately at 16 he's doing well with both!

post #5 of 24

End of the video says he's two. that's still amazing, but at least he's had a chance to practice walking for a while!

post #6 of 24

Pfft, you call that jumping? At that age our kids could jump lift lines. wink.gif

post #7 of 24

Great vid, loved the kid in the terrain park and of course as a Canadian, I loved the hockey stick.cool.gif

post #8 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom View Post

End of the video says he's two. that's still amazing, but at least he's had a chance to practice walking for a while!

Yeah, I think most of that was filmed when he was 2, maybe a few clips at 22 months or something, according to comments. Still, very impressive strength and control over those little legs. 

post #9 of 24
Love love love the hockey stick idea! Also putting the little guy in the kid carrier for dad's boot up time. Half the battle is logistics management.
post #10 of 24

We started our guy at 2-1/2. Worked out great because a local hill took kids that young for 1-hr lessons, then into the daycare for an hour. We'd buy a three-hour ticket so we would ski and extra hour after daycare.13 years later, he mostly jumps like this:

 

post #11 of 24

Rules.gif

 

TWO MINUTES FOR HOOKING!!!!  Haha, just kidding.  Made him carry his own gear too!  I didn't have the patience for that.  Takes 20 minutes longer to get to the lifts if you make a kid that small do everything themselves.

post #12 of 24

Hockey stick is a GREAT idea, don't think I've seen that before

post #13 of 24

I didn't like seeing him land on his head...

post #14 of 24
Kids land on their heads. while not ideal, it's unavoidable. Kind of like adult skiers as well. Supposed they could have edited it out, but I'm not offended.
post #15 of 24


We started Jordy out this season @ 19 months with the following rules.

•2 runs = a waffle
•everything must be pink
•somedays we never made it past the waffle
post #16 of 24

Which comes first, the runs or the waffle?  Or the pink?

post #17 of 24
What a great start! Keep it fun, and they're off and running and way ahead of most of us. I can't think of a better way to "be a skier" than to never know what it's like to not be one.

If not, at least he'll have career potential as a hockey puck!

Legend has it that Patrick Deneen, currently one of the world's top mogul competitors, made his first turns at 18 months. I understand that family and friends lined up in two rows down the hill, and Patrick just skied from one to the other, turning across the hill as the next person called to him.

Best regards,
Bob
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barnes View Post

What a great start! Keep it fun, and they're off and running and way ahead of most of us. I can't think of a better way to "be a skier" than to never know what it's like to not be one.

If not, at least he'll have career potential as a hockey puck!

Legend has it that Patrick Deneen, currently one of the world's top mogul competitors, made his first turns at 18 months. I understand that family and friends lined up in two rows down the hill, and Patrick just skied from one to the other, turning across the hill as the next person called to him.

Best regards,
Bob

 

Go-that-way turns at 18 months.  icon14.gif  Not a bad way to start...

post #19 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidFeet View Post

Which comes first, the runs or the waffle?  Or the pink?

• "Pink" safety gear & helmet
• ski - or something like it
• waffle @ least one for her!



We also choose a very child / family friendly area in Okemo to start. This was of great benefit & the mtn staff were awesome w having kiddos everywhere.

By end of season, she was riding magic carpet!



She was spoiled slightly by good role models.
post #20 of 24
I started when I was 18 months. My brother started when he was 24 months. My parents felt like I started too young and my brother started at about the right age. Based on experiences taking my daughter skiing now and then, I think the right age is somewhere between 2 and 3 - mostly having to do with the ability, willingness and intelligence to understand and follow very simple directions (to some extent). Taking it a few hours at a time is very important. It's critical to maintain it as a fun activity.
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Barnes View Post

What a great start! Keep it fun, and they're off and running and way ahead of most of us. I can't think of a better way to "be a skier" than to never know what it's like to not be one.

If not, at least he'll have career potential as a hockey puck!

Legend has it that Patrick Deneen, currently one of the world's top mogul competitors, made his first turns at 18 months. I understand that family and friends lined up in two rows down the hill, and Patrick just skied from one to the other, turning across the hill as the next person called to him.

Best regards,
Bob

 

icon14.gif     I didn't ski until the ripe old age of 4, but I don't remember much before that anyway, and my own kids will be the same.

post #22 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

Kids land on their heads. while not ideal, it's unavoidable. Kind of like adult skiers as well. Supposed they could have edited it out, but I'm not offended.

 

I think they fall on their heads more often when in terrain that's "above their heads", so to speak, like boxes...

post #23 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphor_ View Post

I think they fall on their heads more often when in terrain that's "above their heads", so to speak, like boxes...

I like the phrase! smile.gif our little guy will most likely start next season at 3. I have no doubt that he'll fall on his noggin. Hell, they do it in the house without any prompting. I'm sure I did my first year skiing at 3-4, but I can't recall*.


* humor attempted, low difficulty level.
post #24 of 24

I love it!  Our son will be 10 months this week and one of the things I am looking forward to the most is getting him on skis.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion