New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

HIGHEST RATED SKI RESORTS - Page 2

post #31 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post

 

A poll that puts Alta as the top rated resort is flawed. Yup it is a nice resort, a nice LITTLE resort with SOME accommodation and SOME après ski.

 

Alta would not make the top 20 in Europe in fact it might not be in the top 50.

A poll that would dismiss Alta only based on it's size and village is also flawed.

post #32 of 45

Not all of us want "resorts".  Some of us care about the skiing.  

post #33 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post

Well I read the OP followed the link and came back to make a comment. I was thinking of a way of wording it that was a little off the wall but not so far that the OP did not get my message.

 

But the above replies are well up on my weird sh*tometer so I will just make my point simply.

 

A poll that puts Alta as the top rated resort is flawed. Yup it is a nice resort, a nice LITTLE resort with SOME accommodation and SOME après ski.

 

Alta would not make the top 20 in Europe in fact it might not be in the top 50.

 

Yes, its flawed.

 

But this is a SKIING website, filled with SKIERS, many of whom care solely about the skiing. When I'm taking a ski vacation, most of the time it is in my 40 year old Hi-Low trailer with more dry rot than Old Ironsides.  In my camper, the icebox will have beer, wine, and usually some whiskey, which is all me and my wife need for "Apres."

 

If this was a vacation forum, I'd expect more people to actually care about non skiing stuff when talking about a ski vacation.

post #34 of 45

Frogs also like fireflies!

 

post #35 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

I actually lived in Michigan for several years. biggrin.gif And have skied Mt. Brighton, which I bet you have not. But seriously, coming from California, it is an alternative universe. I had never even seen a firefly until then, let alone a cow up close...

 

Go Blue. 

Excuse me. Mt Brighton, Mt Holly, Pine Knob, Alpine Valley--I've skied them all, plus the BIG one--Boyne Highlands. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif 

post #36 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpfreaq View Post

Wait..... y'all don't have fireflies?

We don't have them here in Massachusetts either.  When we visit friends back in Ohio, I am reminded how amazing a  yard full of fireflies is.

post #37 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

Excuse me. Mt Brighton, Mt Holly, Pine Knob, Alpine Valley--I've skied them all, plus the BIG one--Boyne Highlands. biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
 


But have you skied Thunder Mtn, Walloon Hills, Sugarloaf, and Timberlee? The Lansing Ski Club hill? smile.gif
post #38 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post


But have you skied Thunder Mtn, Walloon Hills, Sugarloaf, and Timberlee? The Lansing Ski Club hill? smile.gif

If it didn't exist prior to 1968 and if wasn't within 30 minutes of Detroit I haven't skied it--except Boyne Highlands.  frown.gif  Looks like that's where my out of state trip will have to be next winter (if there is a next winter).frown.giffrown.gif

post #39 of 45
All mentioned above are now sadly defunct... Especially Sugarloaf. Arguably the best hill in the L.P.
post #40 of 45

Riverview Highlands=not so sadly defunct?

post #41 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

All mentioned above are now sadly defunct... Especially Sugarloaf. Arguably the best hill in the L.P.

ok then I guess I'll go to Whistlersmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

post #42 of 45
The number one resort is whichever one I happen to be skiing...when I'm lucky enough to.
post #43 of 45
I'm sure my nearby sporting drainages in Indiana, Paoli Peaks and Perfect North Slopes, have lightning bugs, which gapers and Britons call fireflies. And this even at their summits, where suburbs are walk-in/out to the bustling WRODs for those willing to trespass and scale the chain-link fence. And speaking of home (Louisville), two words: Peyton Effing Siva.
post #44 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post

Well I read the OP followed the link and came back to make a comment. I was thinking of a way of wording it that was a little off the wall but not so far that the OP did not get my message.

 

But the above replies are well up on my weird sh*tometer so I will just make my point simply.

 

A poll that puts Alta as the top rated resort is flawed. Yup it is a nice resort, a nice LITTLE resort with SOME accommodation and SOME après ski.

 

Alta would not make the top 20 in Europe in fact it might not be in the top 50.

 

I would be interested in seeing a list of 20 places (or 50 places) in Europe that are better than Alta. 

post #45 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by chraya View Post

 

I would be interested in seeing a list of 20 places (or 50 places) in Europe that are better than Alta. 

 

It depends, as does any such list, on what you mean by "better".

 

Alta has great snow, and lots of it, and excellent inbounds terrain (at least at the high end).  If you consider "Alta-Snowbird" to be one resort it might have one of the largest amounts of inbounds expert terrain of any ski area in the world.

 

But there is no 'village', and not much to do in the area other than ski.  For people who aren't as hardcore on the technical skiing, or who might want to -- gasp -- take a day or two in the middle of a weeklong vacation to do something other than ski, Park City would probably be "better" than the Cottonwoods resorts.

 

There are definitely resorts in Europe (Chamonix, for instance) with comparable skiing -- at least if you are willing to hire a mountain guide and go outside the resort pistes.  And they're not a ski area on the outskirts of SLC with nothing around but condos.  Even if you're just talking skiing, if you're into ski mountaineering or touring a lot of areas in Europe are far "better" than SLC for that.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion