EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Different camber on new skis
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Different camber on new skis

post #1 of 18
Thread Starter 

So i bought some new skis online from a shop that is closing, so got a super offer. But the skis seems to have different camber, placed both skis on the ground and the one is "cambering"  more and the other one is almost flat. They have the same serial number. They are powder skis by the way, is it something that i will notice and if i will can i contact the manufacturer and try to get new skis or something like that? 


Edited by Powness - 4/20/13 at 5:45pm
post #2 of 18

Powness,

 

It seems like it would really depend on the difference between the two skis. If they're both rocker/camber, only one is slightly more cambered... I think you'd be hard pressed to get any kind of a refund for the difference. However, if one is clearly cambered, and the other is just about flat, then your skis are going to ski totally differently. If that's the case, I could see the manufacturer giving you a warranty on them. The issue you'd end up facing though, is that typically warranties go through the shop you purchased from. If the shop is closed already, it could get tricky.

 

I think your next move should be to snap a few photos that really highlight the difference between the two skis. Then I'd either throw them up here to get some more opinions, or just get in touch with the shop directly to hear their opinions. Again, if the difference is slight, I wouldn't worry about the hassle of getting them warrantied. If however, you have one cambered ski and one non-cambered ski, then that's definitely cause for concern.

 

Hope this helps, and feel free to shoot me a private message if you have any other questions/concerns regarding how shops handle warranties!

 

Matt @ Skiessentials.com

post #3 of 18

Check the serial numbers to see if they match.  They may have not shipped you a "pair."

post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot View Post

Check the serial numbers to see if they match.  They may have not shipped you a "pair."

He said they have the same serial number right in his first post.

post #5 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

He said they have the same serial number right in his first post.

 

Yeah, sorry I missed that.  If they are supposedly a matched pair and one ski has camber and other is flat then the dealer or manufacturer should replace them. In my unprofessional opinion that is not a "pair" of skis you want to ski on, and they can't be fixed.

post #6 of 18

I think this happens more than you might think. You may find this thread worth reading, though the story doesn't line up perfectly with your situation. (Sibhusky may have been recalling it when she made her comment.) I really feel like the two skis should seem identical, or nearly so, in look and feel, as a starting point. If they don't seem identical, you're within your rights to attempt to follow up in some way. I am a deal-hunter too, but having had a similar experience - combined with increasing awareness of the whole "is the out-of-the-wrapper tune any good" question - has made me inclined to get my next pair of skis from someplace that I know will back up the sale with advanced knowledge of ski tech and professional integrity. Hindsight, I know. Good luck.

post #7 of 18
Thread Starter 

As stated earlier, im not into this to try to get new skis. If i won't notice the difference when i ski i don't really care if they are a little different, but if i will notice amount of difference in the skis then its a different ball game. Here is the best pic i could get that highlights the differences 

 

post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powness View Post

As stated earlier, im not into this to try to get new skis. If i won't notice the difference when i ski i don't really care if they are a little different, but if i will notice amount of difference in the skis then its a different ball game. Here is the best pic i could get that highlights the differences 

 

Those tips--not just the mid-body where camber is measured--seem off for sure.  I imagine if you put the skis on a flat surface side-by-side the curvature of the tips would still be off (not an optical illusion), meaning the skis would "float" differently in their intended use (powder).  Who makes the skis?  The big manufacturers have QC that should catch stuff like this.  The QC from the smaller manufacturers ranges from excellent to poor.  Worse is the bottoms of many skis, that could be concave, convex or both when purchased off the rack of any ski shop.  I know from experience some brands are much better than others with QC and tuning, but the guys that own the ski shops probably know a lot more about the subject.  I would return any item I bought if I lacked confidence in its ability to perform.

 

Some possible causes:

1) Time in mold while the glue is setting.  The longer they stay the better.

2) Core material not matched if wood and not synthetic.  There is a lot of variability with wood, less if it is laminated and glued in strips (using golf as an example, think of the old laminated PING maple woods vs. solid persimmon heads, with the laminated PINGs having the better consistency).

3) Amount of glue used, although it shouldn't matter if enough was used and the skis were pressed properly and all the excess is squeezed out.


Edited by quant2325 - 4/23/13 at 6:46am
post #9 of 18
Thread Starter 

Its not an optical illusion, the curve of the tips are different, and minor difference in the curve at the back end of the skis. Is there a chance that the ski manufacture will replace them or just a "minor" thing that they don't see as warranty? Got 1 year warranty from the ski manufactur. 

post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powness View Post

Its not an optical illusion, the curve of the tips are different, and minor difference in the curve at the back end of the skis. Is there a chance that the ski manufacture will replace them or just a "minor" thing that they don't see as warranty? Got 1 year warranty from the ski manufactur. 


are you kidding? take a better picture and name the brand and model of the skis or quit your jabbering.

post #11 of 18
The picture is plenty clear. He doesn't need more from us, he just needs to contact both the online shop and the manufacturer and get going on this.
post #12 of 18

Still new in wrapper?  

Call the retailer up first (before the manufacturer), and get a return or replacement.

post #13 of 18
Thread Starter 

Thank you for the help guys. The manufacturer will replace the skis, but since the shop or the manufacturer don't have more of the ski left, i will receive next year model when it comes. All worked out great in the end :) 

post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powness View Post

Thank you for the help guys. The manufacturer will replace the skis, but since the shop or the manufacturer don't have more of the ski left, i will receive next year model when it comes. All worked out great in the end smile.gif 


I am glad you will be made whole, with new skis. A few things to always remember:
1) Not all skis on the rack have matching serial numbers, although they should. Make sure yours do. Some manufacturers test ski flex and try to match up the skis.
2) Some bases come flat and some do not from the manufacturer. You don't want a severely concave base or a base that is convex.
3) Graphics don't always match, so you want the guy mounting the bindings to mount both binding on the same spot of each ski. This means using the jigs properly together. I imagine this is rare, but it did happen on one of my kid's skis (K2 Bad Seeds) where the binding/boot midsole mounting was on the "line" with one ski and slightly off on another due to mismatched graphics that were approximately 3/16" off.
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powness View Post

Thank you for the help guys. The manufacturer will replace the skis, but since the shop or the manufacturer don't have more of the ski left, i will receive next year model when it comes. All worked out great in the end :) 

Nice to hear the manufacturer of these skis is going to stand behind its product and make this right!!! Who is the manufacturer?

post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISfromRI View Post

Nice to hear the manufacturer of these skis is going to stand behind its product and make this right!!! Who is the manufacturer?

I second the motion

post #17 of 18
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by quant2325 View Post


I am glad you will be made whole, with new skis. A few things to always remember:
1) Not all skis on the rack have matching serial numbers, although they should. Make sure yours do. Some manufacturers test ski flex and try to match up the skis.
2) Some bases come flat and some do not from the manufacturer. You don't want a severely concave base or a base that is convex.
3) Graphics don't always match, so you want the guy mounting the bindings to mount both binding on the same spot of each ski. This means using the jigs properly together. I imagine this is rare, but it did happen on one of my kid's skis (K2 Bad Seeds) where the binding/boot midsole mounting was on the "line" with one ski and slightly off on another due to mismatched graphics that were approximately 3/16" off.

3: Woha, did u get some "return" cash or something since the ski shop obv failed on this one? 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISfromRI View Post

Nice to hear the manufacturer of these skis is going to stand behind its product and make this right!!! Who is the manufacturer?

 

Black Crows, didn't mention it earlier since i had no reason to mention them, since people would read the text and think that the manufacturer is bad, when they actually was awesome in this case :) The ski is the BC Nocta.

post #18 of 18

Kudos to Black Crows for standing behind their skis!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Different camber on new skis