EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Shipping many skis across the country
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shipping many skis across the country

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hi all, 

 

I'm moving to Ontario and need to ship 4 pairs of skis, snowblades, and two snowboards. It's not worth trying to sell them end of season and I'll use most of the gear when in Ontario.  I also don't want to spend a fortune by leaving bindings on. My idea is to unscrew the bindings (or remove if railflex), ship the skis flat but padded with some PVC/clothes, and just reassemble everything when I arrive. 

 

Am I doing anything particularly foolish by unscrewing the bindings from the skis, then reattaching them at the destination? I'm not a ski tech, but assuming I properly reattach and tighten everything properly at the destination, will all be fine? 

post #2 of 16

Not a problem, but better if you don't.  People sell and buy skis with bindings removed and new bindings put on all the time, so I don't see a problem if you do it right.

 

However, I would not bother.  Why mess with them?  People also travel with their skis in ski bags with bindings attached all the time, and I've seen how airplane luggage gets treated.

 

BTW, my condolences to you.

post #3 of 16

Anytime you unscrew a binding it weakens the mount. I would not recommend using the same hole pattern. You will need to plug the old holes and re-drill new mounting holes. Not an issue with the railflex but I would not do it on the flat stock skis.  

post #4 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVmike View Post

Anytime you unscrew a binding it weakens the mount. I would not recommend using the same hole pattern. You will need to plug the old holes and re-drill new mounting holes. Not an issue with the railflex but I would not do it on the flat stock skis.  

not if it's done right...

post #5 of 16
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the replies. Only one of the pairs is flat mounted, so I guess I can stomach the extra shipping cost of those. I'd like to flatten them to use a smaller box as shipping costs get kind of crazy as you get bigger. 4 pairs will pack pretty tight without bindings, but not with bindings.

 

waxman, what is the right way versus wrong way to unscrew a binding? As they're slalom skis I don't want the  binding to suddenly rip out... yikes! 

post #6 of 16

At least down in the states it is not that expensive to ship a pair of skis all the way across the country (Fedex/UPS) is about $30per pair.   

 

Have you actually checked on the cost?  It's weight related rather than size, so i don't see the extraordinary cost savings to go through this hassle.

The packing method for a box is you 69 them tip to tail, bindings in, bases out. use cardboard or padding as appropriate

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post

At least down in the states it is not that expensive to ship a pair of skis all the way across the country (Fedex/UPS) is about $30per pair.   

 

Have you actually checked on the cost?  It's weight related rather than size, so i don't see the extraordinary cost savings to go through this hassle.

The packing method for a box is you 69 them tip to tail, bindings in, bases out. use cardboard or padding as appropriate

 

At a certain point they start charging extra for oversize packages, which gets REALLY expensive.  If you try to put multiple pairs of skis with bindings in one package you'll probably start bumping into those limits.

 

I know there are also some dedicated "ski valet" type services -- don't know if they would be cheaper in bulk.

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias99 View Post

 

At a certain point they start charging extra for oversize packages, which gets REALLY expensive.  If you try to put multiple pairs of skis with bindings in one package you'll probably start bumping into those limits.

 

I know there are also some dedicated "ski valet" type services -- don't know if they would be cheaper in bulk.

 

Then just ship 4 packages for the 4 skis, or 2boxes of 2skis?  1set of skis or even a couple pairs is well under the oversize surcharge.  These are package shipping companies afterall, skis are small potatoes to what they can handle.  If you've got a full size elliptical machine to ship, or like a car engine block, then you have a true oversize item.

 

Since the majority of the cost is by weight, there's no need to have your skis be together .   Anyhoo, just my two cents.

post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the ideas - I'll check both options. Shipping seems expensive in Canada in general (double or triple US prices), so if it's more than a hundred dollar difference, I'd find it worth the hassle to remove the bindings and reinstall them in Toronto. 

 

Any ideas on how much of a "moving allowance" I should ask for from this new job? 

post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphor_ View Post

 

Any ideas on how much of a "moving allowance" I should ask for from this new job? 

 

Moving from Van to Ontario.  1 million dollars?

post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxman View Post

not if it's done right...

exactly!  I would worry more about why you are using a slalom ski flat mounted in the first place! smile.gif

 

And yes, cost does go up signfificantly with size increase, particularly length.  i normally use Fedex ground and you see on the cost breakdown there is an excessive length/size adder of around $8-10 on a single pair that kicks in around 50 inches IIRC

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post

exactly!  I would worry more about why you are using a slalom ski flat mounted in the first place! smile.gif

 

And yes, cost does go up signfificantly with size increase, particularly length.  i normally use Fedex ground and you see on the cost breakdown there is an excessive length/size adder of around $8-10 on a single pair that kicks in around 50 inches IIRC

The 50inches is definitely not the right number for a surcharge on ground shipping.

 

I just punched in 80inches(a 200cm ski)x8inx8in @20pounds and fedex ground rate calculator quoted out $21.64 for me for ground.

post #13 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsSkier View Post

exactly!  I would worry more about why you are using a slalom ski flat mounted in the first place! smile.gif

 

And yes, cost does go up signfificantly with size increase, particularly length.  i normally use Fedex ground and you see on the cost breakdown there is an excessive length/size adder of around $8-10 on a single pair that kicks in around 50 inches IIRC

 

Yeah there's a plate on it of course--does that make it safe to unscrew the binding?

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphor_ View Post

 

Yeah there's a plate on it of course--does that make it safe to unscrew the binding?

 

Generally race/lifter plates are made with threaded screw holes so you can easily remove and remount the binding -- the plate stays permanently attached to the ski and the binding screws into the plate.  But check the service manual for the plate system for details, or have a shop tech take a look at it.

post #15 of 16
Thread Starter 

sweet! Thanks.

post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytseng View Post

The 50inches is definitely not the right number for a surcharge on ground shipping.

 

I just punched in 80inches(a 200cm ski)x8inx8in @20pounds and fedex ground rate calculator quoted out $21.64 for me for ground.

Yes, it is there but at >60 inches rather than 50 inches.  It is the "additional handling surcharge -Dimensions" @ $8.50.  If you look at the breakdown of the rate it is shown there

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Shipping many skis across the country