or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › question about brake size
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

question about brake size

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 

Hi all, i am coming into some 2011 Praxis powder boards and was wondering if a 110mm brake would be able to be bent to the underfoot width of the powder board at 128mm (i think)  I cant remember the exact dimension of the underfoot and am at work, but am wondering if i need to buy a wider brake than a 110?  Does anyone know off the top of their head if the 110mm brake would work?

post #2 of 16
Thread Starter 

i could always just buy a 130mm brake and swap it out of my current Griffon for around 60 dollars.  That would be the most economical route.

post #3 of 16

Get the 130's, you'll mangle the 110 trying to bend them to fit. It could be done, but why not get the right brake?

post #4 of 16
I've been wondering the same thing, I've got some Mantras to mount with Jesters that seem to be right in between sizes(98mm waist, brake options are 90 or 110). Which way to go?
post #5 of 16
I think the powboards are 138 underfoot, so go with de 130mm.

For the mantras I would go with 90mm, lots of folks here using 90mm breaks on 90+something skis
post #6 of 16

It was pretty funny, last weekend I saw a guy on some 120+ waisted skis and it looked like the brakes were maybe 100mm, with no attempt to bend them out. After time wouldn't that start to push the heel up and out of the ski?

post #7 of 16

Powderboards are 138. Even a 130 brake will need to be modified. AFAIK there is no stock brake that will fit the Powderboards without mods.

post #8 of 16

Praxis Powder Boards are 138 mm under foot.

post #9 of 16

you could just send email to Keith and ask him for a break width recommendation for the powderboard.

post #10 of 16
Thread Starter 
Thanks all. I think the 130 brake will be able to be modified fine. A salesperson tried to to tell me a 110 could bent that much. I was skeptical. As far as emailing Keith, would he be very accessible? I will also try that
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidd326 View Post

Thanks all. I think the 130 brake will be able to be modified fine. A salesperson tried to to tell me a 110 could bent that much. I was skeptical. As far as emailing Keith, would he be very accessible? I will also try that

Yes, you can just use the contact page.

 

http://praxisskis.com/contact-praxis-skis/

 

I've used and I got a response within hours from Keith.

post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post

Yes, you can just use the contact page.

 

http://praxisskis.com/contact-praxis-skis/

 

I've used and I got a response within hours from Keith.

Just sent him an email a little while ago through this.  Thanks much!

post #13 of 16

I got Praxis BC (they re listed as 106mm underfoot) skis ... looking for Guardian 16 MNC bindings....should I go with 100mm brake + bend or 115mm?

 

Thanks

post #14 of 16

The best advice I can give for most ski bindings is that an easy bend will be +5mm of the stated brake width.  +8 can be done with some work and leverage.  +10 is really the max if you want to give yourself a really bad time.  But the bigger the bend, the greater likelihood that you bust the brake.  Bend with care people.

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiessentials View Post
 

The best advice I can give for most ski bindings is that an easy bend will be +5mm of the stated brake width.  +8 can be done with some work and leverage.  +10 is really the max if you want to give yourself a really bad time.  But the bigger the bend, the greater likelihood that you bust the brake.  Bend with care people.

Ok but bindings really came at 100mm and 115mm exactly or there is any additional room? If not...your answer point me to 115 with for 106 skis. 

post #16 of 16

I would go with 100mm brake for 106mm, personally.  It will take a bit of work to get them out there, but those should go.  That being said you will not often have the 106mm ski on edge at such a high angle as to be dragging that 115mm brake.  And by Salomon's company line they'd probably direct you to the wider brake. 

 

Truthfully either will work.  But to optimize as little overhang as possible, you'll want to bend the 100mm.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › question about brake size