According to an email from Hunter, value pass holders can use theirs to ski this last weekend.
I may get in days 26 and 27, and if I feel good, head for Jay next week.
Good to know. The website says Hunter will tentatively open this wknd. Looks like there will be rain in the forecast. Do you think (crystal ball question) we'll still get this wknd in at Hunter?
How long of a drive is it to Jay from Astoria?
As of yesterday Jay claimed to have 100% of it's trails open, 78/78. And temps down to the upper 20s some nights, 30s on others. I was considering someplace further south for one day, then drive north to Jay. Maybe K-mart or Mt Snow; then a day at Jay. On Wed - Thurs.
We'll see how my knees feel if I really hit it on the slush of Hunter this weekend.
I could spend a whole a day on Rime, East Fall and Power Line at K-mart. And if the Canyon Quad is running, that would be even better.
I'd want a second day at some place I've never been though, like Smugs or Jay.
Predictions are for a low of 30 at Hunter on Saturday night. This should translate into 25 or lower at the summit. I plan on starting when the lifts open, and bugging out when it gets too warm.
I think Hunter will have drizzle or light rain, if anything, not a real downpour.
In the past when we had heavy rains or catastrophic flooding in the Schoharie Valley - Mohawk Valley - Rondout Valley area, it followed a warm spring. Temps this spring have been substantially below normal for the most part.
I've been at Hunter on days when we had 'rain' this season, and it was barely drizzle, and it didn't last. So even if it does 'rain' it may be like that, barely noticeable.
I've gone to Hunter on many many days when the NWS, Weatherunderground, and Accuweather ALL predicted 50% or more chance of showers, and we didn't get a drop, all day.
Yes, I drive myself crazy reading at least 3 different forecasts, trying to reconcile them, and then if there's any chance, and my body can take it, I go.
Hunter Mtn Webcam: http://www.huntermtn.com/huntermtn/webcams.aspx
Look at all that snow.
Even it if's down to a WROD by Sat - Sun, it's going to be a DEEP WROD.
You're right. I've been to Hunter many times when the weather looked iffy and it was fine at the mountain. I'll go with your optimism and plan on getting at least one more day in this wknd at Hunter.
I was there 2 weeks ago and there was plenty of snow.
The following wknd I'm planning on hitting up Kmart myself. I could spend a whole day on Powerline, Rime, and definitely make some high speed turns on East Fall too. Maybe throw in Reason for a little variety.
Mt. Snow is a very decent hill too. Maybe a one-two punch is on order.
I was also there Saturday. Things were definitely wet and heavy on most trails, particularly on the main side, but fun. You had to watch for bare spots, but the coverage on the main trails was still pretty deep. The bumps in general were super rutted and uneven, so not much fun for me. At least they were soft. Way Out was firmer and more carveable, at least later in the morning, which I found enjoyable.
Unfortunately, one of the folks in our party fell and apparently broke something, so our day was cut short after 1.5 hours by a sled ride and early departure to the ER. Amazing how fast ski patrol skied her down the Cliff and Eisenhower. The super heavy snow requires some care. Very easy to get thrown around with the variable density snow.
Not the way I want my season to end, so remain hopeful about this weekend. Also thinking of driving to Lake George Saturday night and skiing Gore Sunday if conditions warrant. Weather forecast is not looking good, though.
The three weather forecast I've read seem to agree on rain, Thursday and Friday
However none predict rain on Sat and Sun, so if the surface isn't too badly damaged by what happens on Thurs and Fri, it should be good.
Accuweather says: 33 on Friday night, 48 sunny and breezy on Sat, 27 on Sat night, then 49 and sunny to partly cloudy on Sunday
Weatherunderground says: 32 on Friday night, Fog and 54 on Saturday, 34 Sat night, then clear Sunday with a high of 52
National Weather Service says low of 33 Fri night, snow possible on Saturday, high in the 40s, a low of 28 on Sat night, then sunny with a high of 47 on Sunday
Since I only got in 25 days this season, I don't care if I have to stop and rub RainX or teflon or something else on my skis at the start of EVERY run.
I'd ski if I had to stop and walk across a bare patch in the middle of each run, then resume skiing on the other side.
I'll wear my rainbow colored wig for good luck. And I think I'll carry poles this weekend, to help me through any sticky spots.
Plattekill will have $15.00 lift tix Saturday (their last day) if purchased in advance. Not sure how much terrain will remain open. Belleayre will only have the upper mountain open (no greens, though I doubt you'd be able to get much speed on the greens in the sticky snow).
I too was at Hunter last Sat. There is a ton of snow on many trails. Hunter is hoping to have an excuse not to open (hard to make $$$) but they will open. There will be snow up there for another month after they close.
Here is a report of my visit: http://nyskiblog.com/hunter-mountain-pond-skimming-beach-bash/
The temperature is 40 at Hunter Base and 30 at the summit, and it will only get colder tonight.
The mainstream weather forecasters on tv have mentioned the possibility of snow at higher elevations 'north and west' of the city
Hunter has removed the word 'tentatively' from their statement that they will open this weekend
It may not be worth the price of a ticket, but it's worth the cost of gas and tolls if you already have a pass; it's a gamble, and you gotta be in it to win it
I took a gamble, skipped hunter and headed another 90 mins to Gore Mt. Glad i did. the snow conditions were terrific. the FOG however, was another story... lol sure got to practice a lot of adjustments on the fly.
it made for a long day, but from what i've heard about hunter, i guessed right as i was able to get some good skiing in to end the season.