or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Best bump to powder to bump ski
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Best bump to powder to bump ski

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
Dear Friends,
Bump skiing is pretty much all I do, and when not doing it, I dream about. The only thing that takes me off the bumps is a sweet powder day which sends us into the trees, also like asymmetric runs with trees, bumps, and small drops. We live at 10,000 ft in Colorado, ski a lot, mostly Mary Jane. Cry through the summer. Naturally, huge fat ski is are everywhere, but in the bumps shovel too stiff, length messy. But on powder days I would like to help ski it off in the morning then get back into emerging bumps on the same ski. I'm 52, 5'6", 125lbs, kind of a lunatic. Ski?
post #2 of 16

Dude, you're a skier after my own heart!

 

I ski MJ on all kinds of boards and the best days are pow in the morning and pow bumps in the afternoon.  I spend those days exclusively on my Bluehouse Maestros.  They're 118 under foot, a tad of camber under the 112cm portion between the 134 up front and the 131 in the back.  Tip and tail are both long, early rise and fairly floppy.  They are just beautiful in soft bumps.

 

I'm 6'3", 185, ski them in 189 and they turn real quick.  Absolutely prefer them in tight trees to my MX88s in 178.

 

 

I love this ski and I'm currently looking for another pair but I'd recommend that you find any fairly soft five point ski to demo.  They really rock in the conditions you describe.

 

Maybe I'll see you in the C lot next season.

post #3 of 16
Thread Starter 
Dude, you scared me! Wp/mj is open till at least 4/21. Big snow coming this mon-tues, maybe multi ft for Eldora. Hibachi at mj till at least 4/21. If you see us, come over for a hotdog (blue wrx with old man and kids). Thanks for ski tip!
post #4 of 16

I had a brilliant day at MJ a few weeks back on my DPS 112s. Spent all day in about 8" and more, skiing off Challenger and in the trees next to Super Gauge. Again, a 5-pt ski, it seems like a lot of tip when in bumps, but as long as the moguls are soft, they are so easy. And trees, it's like cheating. 

post #5 of 16

Enjoy the snow!  Maybe take some pics and post up a little trip report.

 

I'll look for that World Rally Blue next time I'm there, most likely late January =(

post #6 of 16

ok, I also have another idea for you, as I own a couple of skis that fit the bill. (Sorta necessary in CO...) Blizzard The One (men's) or The Crush (women's) is a 98mm ski with mild tip and tail rocker, but not a 5-pt design like the others; it is also a blast in the conditions you describe. This one is no longer manufactured, but you can still find a few; if you don't like the Crush topsheet, bumpfreaq will paint them for you. wink.gif I'm 5'9" 140 and ski the 177, either that or a 170 would work for you, I think. (checked ebay, and a 170 demo One is for sale...)

 

I'm sure there are other skis out there that work, but I have very happily skied both skis at MJ in conditions you describe.

post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by segbrown View Post

ok, I also have another idea for you, as I own a couple of skis that fit the bill. (Sorta necessary in CO...) Blizzard The One (men's) or The Crush (women's) is a 98mm ski with mild tip and tail rocker, but not a 5-pt design like the others; it is also a blast in the conditions you describe. This one is no longer manufactured, but you can still find a few; if you don't like the Crush topsheet, bumpfreaq will paint them for you. wink.gif I'm 5'9" 140 and ski the 177, either that or a 170 would work for you, I think. (checked ebay, and a 170 demo One is for sale...)

 

I'm sure there are other skis out there that work, but I have very happily skied both skis at MJ in conditions you describe.

 

 

honestly one of the best skis ever made for snow like that. sadly IMO the Peace Maker its too rockered for bump skiing....

post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Matta View Post

 

 

honestly one of the best skis ever made for snow like that. sadly IMO the Peace Maker its too rockered for bump skiing....

 Both skis I mentioned are great in either condition, but a nod to the Crush in bumps and the DPS in trees.

post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpineau View Post

Dear Friends,
Bump skiing is pretty much all I do, and when not doing it, I dream about. The only thing that takes me off the bumps is a sweet powder day which sends us into the trees, also like asymmetric runs with trees, bumps, and small drops. We live at 10,000 ft in Colorado, ski a lot, mostly Mary Jane. Cry through the summer. Naturally, huge fat ski is are everywhere, but in the bumps shovel too stiff, length messy. But on powder days I would like to help ski it off in the morning then get back into emerging bumps on the same ski. I'm 52, 5'6", 125lbs, kind of a lunatic. Ski?

 

So, I'm not, generally, I fervently hope, one of those tedious Joes who always wants to recommend to others the particular ski that Joe happens to like at the moment, or at any rate ended up on because his cousin Vinny said it was good.

 

The thing that emboldens me to post in this thread is that you are very very close to my size, distinctly at the lightweight end of the skier size spectrum. I am 5' 7", 135lbs with wet hair. We're pretty far from the norm among reviewers here, so I'm hoping my two cents will be valuable in some way. My description of an ideal day is identical to yours, although here in Maine I probably get to experience that ideal a bit less frequently than you do.

 

I think all of the other posters are tending generally in the same direction as I am, which is to say a ski with some notable rocker and not too stiff ... especially at your weight. I'm totally with Segbrown re: feel of a 5-point-tip in these circumstances. I've been skiing the Armada TST @ 174cm, and really love them in the conditions you describe. It's tip design is very similar to Segbrown's Wailers', but a wee bit narrower. Definitely worth a demo if you can find it.

 

Bumpfreaq is a very good skier and I would take his comments seriously, although obviously you'd have to size down substantially in the length department.

post #10 of 16

I personally like a narrower and stiffer bump ski than those suggested.   I can understand why folks like softer skis in the bumps, but I don't get the wider skis for bumps.  I've never enjoyed anything wider than 89 in the bumps, and until recently it was more like 80.   The wider skis are not quick enough to ski a zipper line for my taste.   For the Jane, I would only choose a 100 over a 90 a couple big powder day a year, and that's assuming I'd spend the afternoon in the trees after all the bump lines are tracked up in the am.  For context, I grew up skiing the Jane and wore out half a dozen pairs of Hart F-17's and significant cartilage in my knees before switching to Copper to add some variety to my skiing.   

 

All that said, I'd suggest you spend a day on a 163 and 170 Kendo.  You might like one of them if you prefer a stiffer ski like me.   Older Kendo's without the rocker tip can also be found cheap... nice for a bump ski since you'll be adding a DIY rocker to the tip if you ski the bumps hard enough :-)   Here's a post where I compare Kendos and Mantras, including some comments on bump and powder performance:

http://www.epicski.com/t/118415/volkl-mantra-vs-kendo-vs-blizzard-bonafide-please-help#post_1559424


Edited by tball - 4/9/13 at 8:59am
post #11 of 16

At your size, a Bushwacker or a Kastle FX84 would work really well. They'll have the same float as a high 90's for a 180 lb guy, but will be narrow and light enough to slither through bumps. The Bushwacker has flipcore rocker, of course, and is lively, super versatile, easier to throw around. The FX84 is non-rockered, smoother, slightly better grip and stability. Some other candidates would include the Rossi E88 and the Dyanstar Outbound 87. Agree with several above that the One/Crush is really the best call, but Blizzard sailed that ship for reasons best known to Blizzard. Sorry to hear about the Peacemaker, thought it might be a replacement. Which is why I'm glad I've held on to a second pair of One's, still in the plastic, and scored a new pair of Crushes recently for my wife. biggrin.gif 

 

TST could work but it's pretty wide for bumps at your size. 

 

I honestly don't see you as enjoying a Kendo or one of the stiffer wide carvers as a specifically bump and powder ski. 

post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpineau View Post

Dear Friends,
Bump skiing is pretty much all I do, and when not doing it, I dream about. The only thing that takes me off the bumps is a sweet powder day which sends us into the trees, also like asymmetric runs with trees, bumps, and small drops. We live at 10,000 ft in Colorado, ski a lot, mostly Mary Jane. Cry through the summer. Naturally, huge fat ski is are everywhere, but in the bumps shovel too stiff, length messy. But on powder days I would like to help ski it off in the morning then get back into emerging bumps on the same ski. I'm 52, 5'6", 125lbs, kind of a lunatic. Ski?

 

You're not sayin what you consider a 'bump' ski, nor how you like to ski them...

 

But for something which can really do POW, either tight and trees or wide open bowls - and then transition to the later softer bumps, toboggan the tree lines after they've been cut up, or just rip big turns in deep cutup stuff - I nominate the Fischer Motive 88s...

AS my ownly choice out at the Bird and Alta, back in March (just as 2 days of snow hit leaving behind about 18-20 over the two days, with deeper pockets in the spots that really catch the snow) they were totally the tool!

Nothing was too tight, nothing was too open and fast, and once some of the runs at GAD (the bird) got to their usual bumpitude, they were almost as good as a dedicated bump ski.

Tight zip line, the 88 width would just fit nicely. Fly or crash the bump and the tip had just enough compliance to not throw you back hard. Ride them boot mark to ski mark and they would be more bump oriented. Ride em about 1 to 1.5 cm back and they just motor the open bowls and crud. Tips are a bit more than 'early rise', almost real 'rocker', and the tails, though 'flat', are not as severe as a real race/carver tail. Flex is med, not stiff not soft.

At 167 lbs, 5' 10" (64),  the 176s are just about perfect for me, tend to keep the pace on the higher side...

It's now gonna take a solid sheet of ice to get me off these things... as for POW, had no issues, they totally rock in the knee+deep stuff we were hittin both at the bird and Alta. And with the almost rocker tip, they come up for air just by thinkin it...

at your weight, I'd say the 170's would do you just right... and at 125 lbs, you're gonna be a lot higher in the stuff, on an 88, than any of us who are heavier. Me, I like being 'in' the pow, as opposed to being on top of...

 

whatever ski you pick, I would use an adjustable binding to get the 'most' out of the characteristics of the ski...

post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

TST could work but it's pretty wide for bumps at your size. 

 

 

 

 

Yeah, but he is explicitly calling out bumps -> Powder -> bumps

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by beyond View Post

 

I honestly don't see you as enjoying a Kendo or one of the stiffer wide carvers as a specifically bump and powder ski. 

 

 

Agree. Ten to one tball has fifty pounds on us or more.

post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcanoe View Post

Agree. Ten to one tball has fifty pounds on us or more.

 

Bingo - 5'11" 180lbs.  I was thinking the 163 Kendo might make up for the weight difference, but the porker will bow out of the conversation at this point.

post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post
I can understand why folks like softer skis in the bumps, but I don't get the wider skis for bumps.  I've never enjoyed anything wider than 89 in the bumps, and until recently it was more like 80.   The wider skis are not quick enough to ski a zipper line for my taste.   For the Jane, I would only choose a 100 over a 90 a couple big powder day a year

This was pretty close to my thinking before I tried my 118s in soft bumps.  I was absolutely shocked at how they ripped the zipper.

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond
At your size, a Bushwacker or a Kastle FX84 would work really well. They'll have the same float as a high 90's for a 180 lb guy, but will be narrow and light enough to slither through bumps. The Bushwacker has flipcore rocker, of course, and is lively, super versatile, easier to throw around. The FX84 is non-rockered, smoother, slightly better grip and stability. Some other candidates would include the Rossi E88 and the Dyanstar Outbound 87. Agree with several above that the One/Crush is really the best call, but Blizzard sailed that ship for reasons best known to Blizzard. Sorry to hear about the Peacemaker, thought it might be a replacement. Which is why I'm glad I've held on to a second pair of One's, still in the plastic, and scored a new pair of Crushes recently for my wife. biggrin.gif

I've skied the Blizzard, the Rossi and the Dynastar in bumps.  I quite liked the Bushwacker but if I added a pair to my quiver, I just can't imagine when they would see snow.  Firmer bumps would call for a bump specific ski and soft ones would call for the Maestro.  I know my preferences aren't in line with most others' and I'm a much larger dude than the OP but in light of the following bit of info I just couldn't help but to reiterate my point =)

 

BTW, Bluehouse just started their Spring clearance.  I scored a new pair of Maestros for $270 shipped.

post #16 of 16
Thread Starter 

AFTERWORD:  Thanks a lot for all the advice.  I ended up with Soul 7's.  Generally pretty happy with most fatties in powder, so I demo'd everything on hard pack bumps.  The Soul 7's were best overall, forgiving and quick.  Also ended up going short, 164s (I'm 5'6"). I have not regretted this at all where I live, in the trees and bumps.  See you there!  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Best bump to powder to bump ski