EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Vail Valley Conditions Report, Please!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Vail Valley Conditions Report, Please!

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

Our crew will be staying in Avon next week and are anxious to get there.

Interesting weather pattern shaping up, so we are wondering what the real snow conditions are like at both or either Mts..

We know there has been a few freeze/thaws, so do we need a big dump (doh) or we hoping for big sun to soften things up?

Heard there may have been a valley downpour or two, any truth to that?

 

Hitting Loveland on the way in, any words of advice, like go to Copper instead?

 

Tx in advance,

Al

post #2 of 22

I haven't been to Vail this week and conditions can literally change by the hour this time of year.  Coverage/Forecast is WAY BETTER than this time last year, so a nice warm up will make things very good and a big dump- doh.

 

I had a really nice powder morning at Copper on Wednesday and another one at Loveland last Wednesday.  On last Tuesday at Loveland, the groomers were in amazing shape, but like I said, conditions can change very quickly this time of year. 

 

We have not gotten any real rain here in Frisco, BUT the thunder-snow Tuesday afternoon/evening came in really wet for a while, so I am not sure about the base of Vail/BC as they are about 1 K lower.  Strangely, Copper reported 6" and BC 9" on Wednesday with Vail only reporting 1"- I would guess parts of the mountain got more than that.

post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 

Looks like some good squalls are in the forecast up to our arrival, so the most snow time would be at Loveland, maybe get an xtra 25 minutes coming up from DEN over Copper....and we have never skied there, not even once.

post #4 of 22

I'd go to Copper.

 

Mike

post #5 of 22
It has been raining/sleeting at base of Vail for a few hours tonight
post #6 of 22
I am out in Vail now skiied today and yesterday and today. Rock hard groomers for the first 2hours then things soften up. Came out of the restaurant a couple hours ago and it was pouring! Hopefully snow up top. Cover is real good still on top half .THey are forecasting a decent storm here MOnday -TUesday I think you will have a decent ski trip next week
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 

Tx gang. Prolly hit Copper on the way in if for no other reason than we know it well, and if it is snowing hard we know where  to go.

Some squalls will hopefully soften rthings up.

See ya there.

post #8 of 22

This AM first runs at Vail about 3 in of new snow. Little crunchy underneath but very enjoyable and fun. A little more snow coming through Sunday being forecast then Mon - Tuesday predicting powder to return and a little colder.

 

I think Vail is skiing pretty good now and looking to get better next week.

post #9 of 22
Thread Starter 

Looks like Wednesday morning will be the POW day, just happy to get into some stormy weather Tuesday..

Glad we got a Jeep for the trip up.

olllllllo

post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 

Two of my crew showed up at the condo last night and reported in.

Raining in Avon, and the condo needs a sharp kitchen knife and a large skillet.

The bad news is that Copper and Beavo are closing down lots of terrain after sunday. :o( 

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by snokat View Post

The bad news is that Copper and Beavo are closing down lots of terrain after sunday. :o( 

 

Yesterday was the last day for a lot of terrain at Copper, but there is still lots of great stuff open.  Here's the status this morning:

http://www.coppercolorado.com/winter/the_mountain/dom/snow.html

 

Here's the deal: copper bowl and resolution are closed for the year.  It's a bummer because the coverage is great, just not enough skiers.  The Alpine lift is closed, but you can still ski almost all the way down then cut over to the Super Bee.  That's what I usually do anyway since the A lift is so slow.   Spaulding bowl and Enchanted forest are open, you just have to head back to the Super Bee, a bummer for Spaulding but nice because the line is shorter on the Poma.

 

It's still worth a trip to Copper.   FYI, the USAA snowboarding championship wraps up on Wed.  Copper will be a ghost town on Thurs and Fri and you should have the entire mountain to yourself.

post #12 of 22
Thread Starter 

Hey tx. Saw that the Alpine traverse is open back to the B.

 

I just got the dreaded SW call, I've Been Cancelled.

 

Rebooked for Wednesday morning, now I have to do some begging with Liftopia on my start date at Copper and make sure Vail doesn't roll me as well.

 

Also have to catch a lift from one of my buds up to Vail as my bro will head up tonight instead of waiting for someone, me, who is not gonna be there for another day.

 

Shit!

post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by snokat View Post

I just got the dreaded SW call, I've Been Cancelled.

 

Bummer!  There is currently a blizzard warning, tornado warning and severe thunderstorm warning in Colorado.  Crazy stuff.  The weather guys earn their pay here.  My sis is supposed to fly in tomorrow... we'll see.  

 

The snow should be good for a while given the cold forecast temps.  Stick around and ski a-basin a couple days into next week if you can shift the whole trip.  Good luck.

post #14 of 22

Just wrapped up day 1 of 7 at Vail and the mountain is skiing as well or better than 1st week of March.  Everything is open and coverage is very good.  Pow is supposed to arrive tonight and snow is forecasted throughout Tuesday.

post #15 of 22
Thread Starter 

About a third of the flights got axed, mostly commuter, and me of course, out of 1700.

My boyz were a bit grumpy at the condo this morning, complaining about the storm being a dud in Vail Valley.

Looks like enough energy to the south to give up a few more inches  Hope so.

CME tomorrow, not into Avon control 4pm.

See ya at B&Y's.

post #16 of 22
Flew home last night from DIA and felt fortunate that I got home. At 7PM it was super windy and shrouded in
At DIA and inbound flights were circling before clearance to land. Too bad Vail did not get dumped on. What they will get and the colder temps will deliver very good conditions.
post #17 of 22

Vail had about 4 inches on Tuesday and reporting 3 inches overnight.  Everything open and great coverage

post #18 of 22

Up top early Tuesday, Copper skied much deeper than the 2" they reported at 5 am- the morning was much better than I expected starting with about 3-6" of cowboy powder on top of groomers that were decent underneath.  Upper Enchanted skied really nice as did parts off S lift although there were spots there that were a bit crunchy underneath.  Although temps were predicted to stay cold, the sun pop out and things started to set up after lunch, but the morning was great.

 

It seemed that dust may have come in which I did not notice until things started to get skied out more in the early afternoon- the place was empty early.

post #19 of 22

Wed morning brought 6 inches of pow in Game Creek Bowl, not so much elsewhere.  Another 2-3 inches fell in afternoon.

post #20 of 22
Thread Starter 

What a fantastic 4 days of POW, some 30" or so, with 13" for Sunday morning.

Saturday was sunny in the morning before the next round moved in.

While we had Thursday and Friday all to ourselves at Vail, Sunday was busy sick with the back bowl lifts closed except High Noon.

Still a "10" for the last week of the season.

post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by snokat View Post

 

Sunday was busy sick with the back bowl lifts closed except High Noon.

 

 

Huh?  That's a bummer.  Were they closed all week?   It's been a few years but I've had some great days in China and Siberia bowls closing weekend.

 

Glad you had fun.  You picked a great week to come out!

post #22 of 22
Thread Starter 

All the lifts where I skied were open except Earl's and Mongolia during the week. Seems Vail had a high absenteism on the last day with 13" of POW reported. They had the usual last day signs up stating " All Back Bowl Lifts will Close at 1:30".

A little taste, my first polecam effort down Emperor's Choice on4/12/13

http://vimeo.com/64090553

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › Vail Valley Conditions Report, Please!