- 4,593 Posts. Joined 1/2009
- Location: Maine
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- What new skis for the wife? Last post on 3/30/14 at 7:08am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Forgiveness in Samba/Kabookie? Last post on 5/17/13 at 1:29pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Intermediate-Advanced all mountain ski advice Last post on 2/19/13 at 3:10pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Blizzard 2013 lineup reviews/overviews Last post on 11/20/14 at 7:25pm in Member Gear Reviews
- 2013 Magazine Ski Tests Last post on 10/1/12 at 7:29pm in Ski Gear Discussion
After seeing only two reviews, both of them from five years ago, I decided to add to Apex's reputation. If you're into skiing and don't care for the extras like shopping, cafes, restaurants,...
This is a great mid week mountain. Plenty of corduroy and no lift lines. They offer mid week deals depending on what state you live in which saves over 30 dollars. Nothing here that is called a...
Spent 5 days there during fairly low snow conditions with about of foot of new snow the night we arrived and 6 inches later in the week. It was cold and windy for most of our stay which meant that...
I created this account specifically to provide my review of KneeBinding. My hope is that I can help others to learn from my experience. My KneeBinding's were given to me as...
DO NOT GO if you are not advanced --- while I've been skiing for 15 years and am advanced-intermediate, this place scared me. There are NO runs I felt comfortable or easy, especially off the...
Review: Blizzard Samba / Kabookie - Neutral is Nice
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Nice review. Confirms my sense that brands have a continuing character to them - don't know if the marketing guys or the engineers decide - and Blizzard's has become lightly damped, stabile at serious speed, an unorthodox flex curve that's unusually stiff in front, and of course, flip-cored. May explain why although we see significant numbers of Cochises, Sambas, and even a few Bonafides outside the 180 cm length on the spring sale racks back here. And weird numbers of pre-flipcore Magnums (but also decent numbers of 8.0's) out on the slopes. Not convinced the basic design over 88 mm is working for below average weight of either sex, or for tighter mountains with lotsa bumps and trees and ice. So they sell, but don't leap off the racks like out west. (Not just a wide ski issue, because loads of competitors in the 88+ arena can be seen, Lines, K2's, Nordicas, and Volkls are particularly popular. For a while thought the wood versions would be softer and suppler, but apparently just lighter. Will have to demo the Scout, may buck the trend.
Spoken, BTW, as someone who owns Cochises, 2 different length G-Powers, a pair of Ones, just picked up a pair of Bushwackers, and am contemplating deals on various Magnums. Still my second favorite brand, after Kastle.
Edited by beyond - 4/2/13 at 11:53am
Thanks for pointing me back to this review. I have been skiing the Black Pearls in a 159 for 2 seasons now, and love them, but have outgrown them and found that they weren't enough for me in heavy chop and crud. Phil directed me to the Sambas and your review confirms that these should handle similarly to the Pearls (took me a couple runs to find their sweet spot) but they will plow through the chop and crud better. I bought them in a 166. Am very anxious to get out on them!
I avoid moguls like the plague, but if I decide I want to try them again, I'll use the BP's for that
- Review: Blizzard Samba / Kabookie - Neutral is Nice
- › Is it me or the skis? 2 minutes ago
- › So the NE is going to have a "weather event starting Thursady night... 7 minutes ago
- › Taos Ski Valley 2016-2017 Ski, Stoke, Weather 8 minutes ago
- › I bought new skis and they feel soooo heavy! 22 minutes ago
- › Zipfit Owners 26 minutes ago
- › MA my bump skiing 31 minutes ago
- › Assistance with April 8 to 13th Trip to Anywhere... 35 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 44 minutes ago
- › Level 2 Attained! 47 minutes ago
- › Working On Fischer Patron Tequila Skis 56 minutes ago
- › 2018 Volkl 100Eight Ski Review
- › 2018 Salomon QST 118 Ski Review
- › 1000 Shuffles
- › Skate to shape drill
- › 2018 Blizzard Black Pearl 88 and 98...
- › 2018 Nordica Navigator 90 Ski Review
- › 2018 Volkl Kanjo Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Women's Sheeva 10 Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Bonafide Ski Review
- › 2018 Blizzard Ski Preview