- 4,530 Posts. Joined 1/2009
- Location: Maine
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- What new skis for the wife? Last post on 3/30/14 at 7:08am in Ski Gear Discussion
- Forgiveness in Samba/Kabookie? Last post on 5/17/13 at 1:29pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Intermediate-Advanced all mountain ski advice Last post on 2/19/13 at 3:10pm in Ski Gear Discussion
- Blizzard 2013 lineup reviews/overviews Last post on 11/20/14 at 7:25pm in Member Gear Reviews
- 2013 Magazine Ski Tests Last post on 10/1/12 at 7:29pm in Ski Gear Discussion
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Review: Blizzard Samba / Kabookie - Neutral is Nice
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Nice review. Confirms my sense that brands have a continuing character to them - don't know if the marketing guys or the engineers decide - and Blizzard's has become lightly damped, stabile at serious speed, an unorthodox flex curve that's unusually stiff in front, and of course, flip-cored. May explain why although we see significant numbers of Cochises, Sambas, and even a few Bonafides outside the 180 cm length on the spring sale racks back here. And weird numbers of pre-flipcore Magnums (but also decent numbers of 8.0's) out on the slopes. Not convinced the basic design over 88 mm is working for below average weight of either sex, or for tighter mountains with lotsa bumps and trees and ice. So they sell, but don't leap off the racks like out west. (Not just a wide ski issue, because loads of competitors in the 88+ arena can be seen, Lines, K2's, Nordicas, and Volkls are particularly popular. For a while thought the wood versions would be softer and suppler, but apparently just lighter. Will have to demo the Scout, may buck the trend.
Spoken, BTW, as someone who owns Cochises, 2 different length G-Powers, a pair of Ones, just picked up a pair of Bushwackers, and am contemplating deals on various Magnums. Still my second favorite brand, after Kastle.
Edited by beyond - 4/2/13 at 11:53am
Thanks for pointing me back to this review. I have been skiing the Black Pearls in a 159 for 2 seasons now, and love them, but have outgrown them and found that they weren't enough for me in heavy chop and crud. Phil directed me to the Sambas and your review confirms that these should handle similarly to the Pearls (took me a couple runs to find their sweet spot) but they will plow through the chop and crud better. I bought them in a 166. Am very anxious to get out on them!
I avoid moguls like the plague, but if I decide I want to try them again, I'll use the BP's for that
- Review: Blizzard Samba / Kabookie - Neutral is Nice
- › Bode News 1 hour, 49 minutes ago
- › What Should our FEET FEEL? 1 hour, 50 minutes ago
- › Where HAVE you skied? 1 hour, 52 minutes ago
- › Basic entry level poles? 3 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Alberta/Eastern BC - 2016/17 3 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › Late Dec road trip, Tahoe, Sun Valley, Jackson Hole, Alta/Snowbird 3 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › First Time Buying Skis and Boots - Do It All Together? 4 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › Ski dimensions advice [2nd season in WA, bought used Solomon Scream W] 4 hours, 42 minutes ago
- › Beginner boots rent vs buying + ski/walk mode 4 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › AirBnB and VRBO Versus Ski Town Zoning Ordinances 5 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer