or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

adding a powder ski? - Page 3

post #61 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

There's a good number of big mountain skis without camber - the rocker profile isn't really part of the distinction.

"USUALLY" being key there, I think I said it three different times... If anything you should have went out of your way to say how I didn't even mention sidecut profile, to help the subject. And I think rocker profile really is part of the distinction, as specific powder skis will usually have different profiles than Big Mountain skis that need to be able to handle icey run outs and variable, I do not mean that a ski need camber or whatnot, just that they usually have different profiles specifically better for harder conditions ... but sidecut even more important, as too much can hurt you in specific conditions.
post #62 of 74
Thread Starter 
whats a good binding to match the s3?
dont want to spend too much bit something decent
post #63 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post

whats a good binding to match the s3?
dont want to spend too much bit something decent

 

Any current binding is fine. Whatever is cheap and fits your DIN range. 

post #64 of 74
Thread Starter 

So,

I'm down to

Rossi S3

HEAD Rev 90

Prophet 90

watea94 best price not sure whether it skis a bit short...

 

any thoughts?
 


Edited by GordonFreeman - 4/10/13 at 10:38am
post #65 of 74
The Watea didn't feel like it skied short to me, not a huge amount of tip rocker. Probably the liveliest of these and best in the bumps.

The S3 is the most powder-oriented of these.

I just bought the Rev 105, haven't tried the 90. These both have huge tips with modest rocker. The 105 carves really well for a wider ski, I imagine the 90 even more so.

No experience with LP90.
post #66 of 74

Aargh, just get the S3.  It's as easy-skiing as it gets, and you'll be happy with it.

They're wildly popular for a reason, and over 1 Billion customers can't be wrong!  (...or is that McDonald's???)  

post #67 of 74

OK! You have to decide before we get to post 70!

post #68 of 74
Thread Starter 
lol just researching before parting with cash! smile.gif
Is 178 too short for me in an S3? 186 might be too long given tree skiing? also heard longer was more unstable on piste?
Rev vs watea - watea has some odd hull design but could be good off and on piste.
post #69 of 74
Well since you are in Montreal, a crud ski is probably more useful unless you are willing to take the day off during weekdays and leave home at 5 AM, if we ever get any big storms. biggrin.gif

Or make some Friday trips to Massif du sud, where it's closed on Mon~Thur.
post #70 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmtl View Post

Well since you are in Montreal, a crud ski is probably more useful unless you are willing to take the day off during weekdays and leave home at 5 AM, if we ever get any big storms. biggrin.gif

Or make some Friday trips to Massif du sud, where it's closed on Mon~Thur.

Forget about it jzmtl... I've already ask Gordon why he wanted powder skis and suggested many time something in the 88-98 range but he never responded... I think he's in denial of our east coast reality and he wants the big truck even if he knows that the suv would be perfect for him... wink.gif

post #71 of 74
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogsie View Post

Forget about it jzmtl... I've already ask Gordon why he wanted powder skis and suggested many time something in the 88-98 range but he never responded... I think he's in denial of our east coast reality and he wants the big truck even if he knows that the suv would be perfect for him... wink.gif

what range are all these skis in? :)

The thread title was wrong I'll admit

 

So,

I'm down to

Rossi S3

HEAD Rev 90

Prophet 90

watea94 best price not sure whether it skis a bit short...

 

any thoughts?

post #72 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post

what range are all these skis in? :)

The thread title was wrong I'll admit

 

So,

I'm down to

Rossi S3

HEAD Rev 90

Prophet 90

watea94 best price not sure whether it skis a bit short...

 

any thoughts?

If you ski like me (as shown...), any of these skis will be fine ;-)

post #73 of 74
All these are good choices. If the price is lower, jump on the Watea. They called that tip a powder hull, and used a moderate amount of tip rocker so it doesn't ski short. It should do really well in cut up crud for such a light, responsive ski.
post #74 of 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonFreeman View Post

So,

I'm down to

Rossi S3

HEAD Rev 90

Prophet 90

watea94 best price not sure whether it skis a bit short...

 

any thoughts?
 

I have skied the Line P90 and love it.  On piste, it carves well for a 90mm underfoot ski.  I started using the Armada TST off piste and in soft snow.  I was really starting to enjoy my Armada TST's in a 183 (im 5'9" 180#).  They are super fun all over the mountain.  I was skiing with them on boilerplate  two weeks ago (warmed then cooled and was very hard snow) and that is the only time the TST's felt uncomfortable to me.  I have skied the TST's in 8-14" of heavy, wet stuff which was a blast.  The TST's also did well day or two after a storm with ungroomed tracked out snow.  I was going to sell them, but I think I may hold on to them for a bit.  They are 101 underfoot FWIW 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiredUsername View Post

The Watea didn't feel like it skied short to me, not a huge amount of tip rocker. Probably the liveliest of these and best in the bumps.

The S3 is the most powder-oriented of these.

I just bought the Rev 105, haven't tried the 90. These both have huge tips with modest rocker. The 105 carves really well for a wider ski, I imagine the 90 even more so.

No experience 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion