Latest count is 28-40". I am so sad we can't get up there one more time!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Mammoth Mountain for 2015-2016 Last post on 8/27/16 at 6:37pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Mammoth Mid May Worth It? Last post on 4/29/16 at 6:07pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Mammoth or Squaw Valley? Last post on 3/28/16 at 3:20pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Early April Skiing with Kids? [a Family Skiing thread] Last post on 2/2/16 at 3:32pm in Family Skiing Discussions
- Mammoth buys Big Bear and Snow Summit Last post on 9/29/14 at 6:28pm in Skiing News
2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
Last edited: 10/17/16
- Mammoth Mountain, Eastern Sierra, CALast edited: 1/31/16
- Unofficial Guide of Bear Mountain, Big Bear Lake, CaliforniaLast edited: 3/24/16
- Snow Summit, CA Unofficial GuideLast edited: 9/6/13
- Big Bear, CA Unofficial GuideLast edited: 3/24/16
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
What to expect in mammoth? - Page 13post #361 of 5584/26/14 at 7:37am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #362 of 5584/26/14 at 1:29pmpost #363 of 5585/12/14 at 5:45pm
Any updates on current conditions? I'm thinking of trying to head up there again sometime in May before they close on or about Memorial Day. Are there a reasonable selection of trails that can be skied without worrying about rock damage?post #364 of 5585/12/14 at 6:16pmI was just there this weekend and conditions were really great. Upper mountain was on wind hold till mid day. But when it opened there was literally 3-4" of untouched wind blown coming off of climax...it was a sweet feeling for may felt like it was a pow day. It started snowing when I was driving home Saturday after noon too.post #365 of 5585/12/14 at 6:19pmpost #366 of 5585/13/14 at 2:29pmpost #367 of 5585/19/14 at 5:49amThread Starterpost #368 of 5585/19/14 at 5:04pm
There are periodic updates on Mammoth Forum. A week ago it looked quite good. Then 3 hot days took out a lot of lower mountain snow and Chair 2 closed after last Friday. I like to see Chair 2 open in late season because:
1) It's more convenient for parking
2) The chair 5 terrain is skiable with an exit down the Comeback Trail to Chair 2.
It is supposed to snow a few inches during the middle of the week, then warm up again for the weekend.
I've been up there a day or two of the Memorial weekends of the past 2 lean seasons of 2007 and 2012. Only a couple of strips are maintained to Main Lodge and they deteriorate fast with skier traffic. If the weather is good, the open terrain on chair 3 and the top are still worthwhile. In the lean seasons the Tioga Road is open already (it opened May 2 this year), so typically in that scenario I'm only skiing one day and hiking in Tuolumne Meadows or something else the rest of the time.
So I'd recommend Mammoth for a "mixed activity trip," but it's not like a lot of years where you'll want to ski every day for the whole holiday IMHO.
Edited by Tony Crocker - 5/21/14 at 1:37pmpost #369 of 5585/19/14 at 6:12pm
I skied Mammoth yesterday. The snow held up surprisingly well.
Here is a view looking up past the Main Lodge at Wipe Outs, Scotty's, and Paranoids.
While there are some obvious thin spots, the coverage is still pretty good for a below average winter.
The skiing felt good enough for me to plan to return for a day next weekend.post #370 of 5585/21/14 at 1:39pm
That pic looks like at least as good coverage up top as closing weekends of 2007 and 2012. Snowfall was lower this season but spring has been cooler so it's not melting out quite as fast.post #371 of 5585/21/14 at 6:21pmpost #372 of 55810/31/14 at 6:58amThread Starter2015 opening day in 12 days... I hear there is a forecast for snow this weekend, but is Mommoth ready, even partially? It doesn't look like it is, based on the views from the live webcams...just curious.post #373 of 55810/31/14 at 2:04pmMammoth is not ready as there has been no snowmaking up to now. They say they will start today.
Let's hope this storm drops even more snow than predicted, and that temperatures remain cold enough for snowmaking.post #374 of 55811/1/14 at 7:25ampost #375 of 55811/1/14 at 8:10ampost #376 of 55811/1/14 at 9:20ampost #377 of 55811/1/14 at 11:20am
Mammoth is at the center of this storm track, rates to have 18+ up high by end of the storm. There will be a snowmaking window behind the storm, but with scheduled opening date of 11/13 and the predicted warmup I see little chance of that opening date being advanced.
Tahoe snowfall was less than a foot. I don't think much of that snow will stick around. The upper snow at Mammoth should stick unless we have a very long dry spell.post #378 of 55811/15/14 at 10:24amThread Starterpost #379 of 55811/15/14 at 11:56ampost #380 of 55811/15/14 at 1:28pmQuote:
Thanksgiving should always be avoided unless there is a lot of snow and most of the mountain is open. It's one thing to be limited to ski the WROD. It's another to ski the WROD while enduring holiday prices and crowds with deteriorating snow conditions from the traffic. If you're chomping at the bit to ski and don't mind lapping the same one or two runs all day, get up there BEFORE the holiday crowds chew it up. The same advice applies to restricted Christmases like 2011-12 and 2013-14.post #381 of 55812/6/14 at 1:53pmpost #382 of 55812/6/14 at 5:25pmpost #383 of 55812/13/14 at 6:42pmQuote:
How was it???? wait, no don't tell me... jk tell me!!!!!post #384 of 55812/13/14 at 8:45pmI'll comment.
I was there today. Very crowded early on. Anything left of chair 5 is closed including 5(maybe open on Sunday).
Chair 3 opened about 9:30 and Chair 23 and top of Gondola about 10:00??
Overall snow was good but a few obstacles on some runs still. Cornice was ungroomed with about 1-2' of nice snow. I'm not good in deep snow so for me it was tiring to get down.
It was weird though. After 12:30-1:00 the crowds seemed to disappear and only 2 minute wait to go up and no more wait or people going down Cornice or 23.
Hi was about 32 with clear skies by 10:30. Sunday it's suppose to be about 35post #385 of 55812/13/14 at 8:49pmYesterday was very good. I arrived on the hill at about 10, but @liv2 ski skied from first bell and said the pow over at Chair 12 (12" overnight) was VERY nice. All tracked out by the time I got there. We had a great day together tracking down mostly soft crud, with the occasional untracked mostly at 12 and on the right of Stump (Roger's Ridge?) For this morning, we only got a dusting overnight, but upper gondola and 23 opened about mid morning. Wipeout 1 was very nice, with occasional rock scrapes but amazingly well covered for the quoted 20"base. Cornice was the call of the day with soft, well formed bumps. 3 was good, with the usual blown in powder. Dave's was, I heard, good, but the people I talked to said the run out was so rocky they had to walk over a long stretch of rocks, so I didn't go over there. I actually think Mammoth is in surprisingly good shape. Well worth the trip. Tomorrow will surely be more skied off, but I got two very nice early season days in already. Meeting up with liv2 ski again in the morning. He's way fun to Ski with.post #386 of 55812/13/14 at 10:40pmpost #387 of 55812/14/14 at 6:50amI hope the T-W storm delivers. 1-2 more feet would really set things up nicely. The top, as I indicated above is skiing nicely, but the chair 5 area, for instance, still looks like a moonscape, as viewed riding up Chair 10.post #388 of 55812/14/14 at 8:58pmpost #389 of 55812/15/14 at 12:46pm
Told my buddy I'd buy the $599 season ticket if he did, the day they came out. He waits, to the last day they are being offered, and buys one. I got laid off a day before....
Enjoy this season, I hope to make it up there for a couple days but I doubt it...
Cheers!post #390 of 55812/18/14 at 12:59pm
- What to expect in mammoth?
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Mammoth Mountain, Eastern Sierra, CA
- › Best Budget Skiing in North America? 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › Another What ski/size question, with a twist... 2 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 3 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › Help me analyse some of my turns? 3 hours, 47 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Colorado Weather Discussion 4 hours, 7 minutes ago
- › FS - barely used Icelantic, Line, Elan, Salomon & Surface skis -... 4 hours, 26 minutes ago
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 4 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › Rate my workout! 5 hours, 49 minutes ago
- › New Instructional Video: JF Beaulieu, Andreas Spittle & Nadine... 5 hours, 53 minutes ago
- › Ski Powder Highway 6 hours, 2 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer