or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Your best day skiing? - Page 2

post #31 of 47

long time ago i went to chamonix in the spring with the gf and it snowed heavily. Did laps on the tram up les grand montets in endless powder. I didn't realize until later how special it was to be there with that snow and no nasty euro crowds

post #32 of 47

Probably the day we flew out of SLC on our trip this year.  Got up at a decent hour, hit the trailhead and about a 3ish hour climb to summit Kessler.  The headwall skintrack was all windblown and icy, but the side we dropped in on was the softest, deepest pow I've ever skied.  Completely untouched and amazing for the first 800-1kft of nice steep turns in waist to chest deep pow. 

 

I'd tell you more but who cares.  It was a pretty long windy and icy slog up, and the best ski down ever. 

 

 

and from another angle so you don't think I'm fluffin' ya with smoke and mirrors wink.gif

 

 

 

I still have dreams about dropping in on that line all the time.  It is shaped like a spiral staircase of a hanging pow line that wraps around the East Ramp area, so to my right was an "off into nothing" hanging cliff that looked off into the soupy abyss and to my left was sheer rock walls (you can kind of tell in the first pic but not really).  Just slipping into that silent whiteroom and floating through the motions in that setting and time...  Goddam what a run.  We BARELY made our flight, but it was totally worth smelling like a foot for the flight home. 

 

I mean, there have been days where I skied more pow running lifts or possibly a little deeper but just the overall feeling of accomplishment and just the total elation I felt when I dropped into that perfect pow in that dramatic of a spot...  It's the kind of day that keeps you stoked and in the mindset of just staying out in the mountains as much as possible.   

post #33 of 47
evybyzyb.jpg

This was my best day until I missed the catwalk .They had just opened the west ridge of China Bowl
In Vail for the first time that year .i was enjoying the run so much I went too far down and missed the catwalk

It took me and my son in law 30 minutes to dig me out . Prior to this picture ,the snow was up to my armpits

Ski Patrol arrived when I was finally dug out . My son in law is a snowboarder .Its a lot easier to dig with
this then your hands .
post #34 of 47

Like others have said, I am sure my best days are still ahead of me, but a couple that stand out:

 

1. First time skiing a "real" mountain with good skiers. I started skiing as an adult and only in Pennsylvania. On a whim, I joined a buddy and his friends on a three-day ski trip to Utah. I went in not knowing what to expect and having never really followed good skiers around on a mountain that counted  It was a short ski trip - only three days. We skied Snowbird, Alta, and Solitude. The day we skied Solitude was our last day - it had a couple of inches overnight and Honeycomb Canyon opened. We lapped that for most of the day. My eyes were opened - and I was hooked. I struggled through some small glades and, well, in general. However, I had a BLAST. I knew then that I wanted to get in more skiing . . . all the time.

 

2. First day at my first big EpicSki Gathering - Vail 2011. The day started out boilerplate, I didn't really know anyone (had met Jimmy twice, and just met JohnL and OldBoot at a MidAtlantic Gathering), and I was feeling like I was skiing above my pay grade (I was). Around lunch time, the mountain closed due to thunder snow and it started dumping. Two hours later, there was about 6" of fresh on the ground and it was untracked because we had all been relegated to the lodges. Our group (as well as every other EpicSki group on the mountain) headed to one of the back bowls (I don't know which one - I was just following). We got to the back side of the mountain and it was STILL dumping - I couldn't see a thing and I had never skied fresh powder. Uncle Louie told Segbrown to lead - she was wearing bright ski clothes (as always). I looked around, unsure of who to follow, then realized that, if nothing else, I would be able to see Seg (kind of), so I (tried to) follow her. I remember thinking, "Well, if she drops off a cliff, I'll go a different way . . ." Of course, there are no cliffs back there (except for the one JohnL managed to find . . .?), but I didn't know that at the time. We spent the rest of the day doing laps back there. I finally called it quits because I was EXHAUSTED and didn't want to get hurt (occasionally I have some sense). Great day . . . I remember I had booked my ticket for only a few days of the Gathering because I wasn't sure how the whole thing would go. At the end of that day, I called my husband and told him I was going to extend my stay for the full week.

 

3. Mothers Day 2011 at ABasin. Following the above ^^^ ski trip, I decided to join the Mother's Day festivities. That was the year of a TON of snow in Summit County and the year that ABasin stayed open until July. That whole trip was awesome. One of the days in particular, FairToMiddlin, Trekchick, and I spent the end of the day just playing in Land of the Giants. At the time I couldn't believe that there are as many boulders there as there are - most of them were covered, and we had a total playground. Awesome, awesome experience. And one that will make me head to ABasin every Mother's Day I am able. biggrin.gif

post #35 of 47

Wow when I think about it it must be 17-18 years ago out at Steamboat , my daughter was about 6-7 years old and now she is 25. I think my skis were Olin DX's! Shaped ski era just beginning because I remember seeing people on the new K2 shaped ski that trip and that  was new. Were they the Fours?

 

Anyway it snowedabout 23 in. of light ' Champagne Powder" and coming down Storm Peak the snow was coming up and over my shoulders. Never had the expeirence before .

 

Man looking back how did I do that on what a 64 mm waisted ski! Anyway it  was memorable for me and unfortunately never duplicated!

 

No complaints I have been blessed to have had some pretty special days of skiing. Hopefully with more to come as others have mentioned.

post #36 of 47

Probably this one (actually three), although there are a couple others that come to mind:

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/67754/the-better-late-than-never-tr

 

Revelstoke: Selkirk-Tangiers, Dec 14-16, 2007:
 
This is a video TR without a lot of explanation. All I will tell you is that the snowfall totals were 40cm, 10cm, 25 cm, and 40cm (that's 16", 4", 10", and 16" for you metrically challenged folks) from the night before we got there until the day we left. Do you really need much more explanation? I didn't think so...
 
Pretty nice early-season conditions. I'll let the video from the last day tell the rest of the story....enjoy!
 

 

 
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post

Probably this one (actually three), although there are a couple others that come to mind:

 

http://www.epicski.com/t/67754/the-better-late-than-never-tr

 

Revelstoke: Selkirk-Tangiers, Dec 14-16, 2007:
 
This is a video TR without a lot of explanation. All I will tell you is that the snowfall totals were 40cm, 10cm, 25 cm, and 40cm (that's 16", 4", 10", and 16" for you metrically challenged folks) from the night before we got there until the day we left. Do you really need much more explanation? I didn't think so...
 
Pretty nice early-season conditions. I'll let the video from the last day tell the rest of the story....enjoy!
 

 

 


Nice!!!
post #38 of 47

Nothing too legendary for me, e.g., no heli skiing or Chamonix, but... none the less some of the highlights from the last 5 years

 

1) Squaw, bluebird after getting around 60inches in 3 days. Skied during the storm as well, but this day was just insane. (Also a thursday in mid march and pretty uncrowded) My friends and I took the Emigrant chair first run and looked down at granite, wide open and totally unskied... Many epic runs followed. Would give anything to get back to the top of that first run down granite

 

2) Blackcomb backbowls, again bluebird, about 14 inches of fresh ontop of alot of snow... There are some sick lines back there. Skied with one of my best friends until we could no longer move and then got pretty drunk in the village. Was awesome. 

 

3) Alta, lightly snowing, 17 or so inches ontop of alot that week. Skied mainly the lines in and around Catherine's... First run, ducked under the rope when they were still bombing (I know this is a stupid move in Utah, but just could not stop myself....) Seeing all those tree lines totally untouched... 

 

4) Sugarbush VT, 30 somthing inches, bluebird, "traditional sick day" on a Friday. Met up with this random guy who ripped and was also skipping work. We skied hard all day. Was insane, could not walk for a few days after haha

 

5) Mt. Baldy (Southern California), snowed 30 inches or so when it was a very cold rain storm in LA. Again "traditional sick day" from work, skied some sick sick lines that day. Ate it bad going super fast down one of the lines I believe called widow maker and broke my binding and lost the ski. Bummer, but was worth it bc Rossi hooked up a good deal on a single ski w/binding from a return

 

6) Stowe, VT last winter, only powder weekend of last season, something nuts like 40 inches in 2 days. Got to love those stowe glades...

post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post

Nothing too legendary for me, e.g., no heli skiing or Chamonix, but... none the less some of the highlights from the last 5 years

 

1) Squaw, bluebird after getting around 60inches in 3 days. Skied during the storm as well, but this day was just insane. (Also a thursday in mid march and pretty uncrowded) My friends and I took the Emigrant chair first run and looked down at granite, wide open and totally unskied... Many epic runs followed. Would give anything to get back to the top of that first run down granite

 

2) Blackcomb backbowls, again bluebird, about 14 inches of fresh ontop of alot of snow... There are some sick lines back there. Skied with one of my best friends until we could no longer move and then got pretty drunk in the village. Was awesome. 

 

3) Alta, lightly snowing, 17 or so inches ontop of alot that week. Skied mainly the lines in and around Catherine's... First run, ducked under the rope when they were still bombing (I know this is a stupid move in Utah, but just could not stop myself....) Seeing all those tree lines totally untouched... 

 

4) Sugarbush VT, 30 somthing inches, bluebird, "traditional sick day" on a Friday. Met up with this random guy who ripped and was also skipping work. We skied hard all day. Was insane, could not walk for a few days after haha

 

5) Mt. Baldy (Southern California), snowed 30 inches or so when it was a very cold rain storm in LA. Again "traditional sick day" from work, skied some sick sick lines that day. Ate it bad going super fast down one of the lines I believe called widow maker and broke my binding and lost the ski. Bummer, but was worth it bc Rossi hooked up a good deal on a single ski w/binding from a return

 

6) Stowe, VT last winter, only powder weekend of last season, something nuts like 40 inches in 2 days. Got to love those stowe glades...

 

I don't know... combined that's pretty damn epic. 

post #40 of 47

This. All day. Every run.

 

1000

 

 

 

Whitewater, British Columbia. December 20, 2012. That's right. Before Christmas.

 

But there will be more...

post #41 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcooley View Post

This. All day. Every run.

 

1000

 

 

 

Whitewater, British Columbia. December 20, 2012. That's right. Before Christmas.

 

But there will be more...


Sweet !
post #42 of 47

March 2009, I was in a town in Italy called Champoluc. The guide company there used to do a free day of guided off-piste skiing for all hotel guests each week (like drug dealers giving everyone a free sample). It started snowing the afternoon before and cleared up about 30 minutes before we all took off up the lifts. I was in a bigger group, so we had two guides who were always joking around and trying to push each other over.

 

So, sunny skies, 30 cm (about 12") of fresh snow on the mountain, no crowds, two funny guides taking us to the goods, and a couple of nice looking Swedish girls in my group. Oh, and it was my birthday.

 

Best birthday ever.


Edited by CerebralVortex - 4/10/13 at 3:35am
post #43 of 47

Think it was this one

post #44 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralVortex View Post

March 2009, I was in a town in Italy called Champoluc. The guide company there used to do a free day of guided off-piste skiing for all hotel guests each week (like drug dealers giving everyone a free sample). It started snowing the afternoon before and cleared up about 30 minutes before we all took off up the lifts. I was in a bigger group, so we had two guides who were always joking around and trying to push each other over.

 

So, sunny skies, 30 cm (about 12") of fresh snow on the mountain, no crowds, two funny guides taking us to the goods, and a couple of nice looking Swedish girls in my group. Oh, and it was my birthday.

 

Best birthday ever.


Don't leave us hanging................what happened at the apres ski?

post #45 of 47

post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by prickly View Post

Think it was this one


Good lord !!! Nice .
post #47 of 47

Not to get all mushy, but my "best days" on the snow had less to do with the snow and more to do with the people that I shared them with.          

D1                                                      


Edited by deliberate1 - 5/10/13 at 6:07pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion