or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Do Ski Clubs attract Mainly Older Crowd?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Do Ski Clubs attract Mainly Older Crowd? - Page 2

post #31 of 41
If you really want to meet new people, go on a week long ski trip and ski with different people each day and don't just stick with your friends and condo mates.

You don't get a chance to do that with one day or weekend trips.

Sent from a Samsung Fascinate running CM 10.1
post #32 of 41
Just returned from about the best ski club trip ever. Faces were mostly over forty, but legs and smiles were youthful. It's a club you already know about. Just one more option to consider.
post #33 of 41

I'm reading along and getting this nagging what's-wrong-with-this-picture. Finally realized: No mention of kids. These clubs you all are talking about must be completely independent of either resorts or schools. By contrast, IME, ski clubs attached to particular mountains - or to schools - are all about kids competition programs. Kids tend to be between 6 and 18. So add 25-35 years or so for parents' ages. Who get Masters and freesking programs, so on, attract some singles, often divorced, or couples with older children who don't participate, but in truth the energy comes from the kids zooming around. Friendships are formed around that, just like school activities. Face it, there are only two kinds of humans, those who have/have had children and those who haven't. All other divisions pale in comparison. 

 

If you don't, realize this does not look promising for hooking up. But OTOH, not precisely a bunch of geriatrics taking a few runs before their Depends fill up either. Many of the adults have competed at some point, and increasingly the USSA is looking to clubs for junior development: http://alpine.usskiteam.com/global/club-programs Just like the, uh, club that qcanoe mentions, the skiing will be at nearly as high a level as the bar talk. 

 

But would suggest as an alternative, go find a share in a ski house. Ads around in late summer to early fall, or network. More typical of younger singles, more likely to produce pleasant late nights in the hot tub, and less pleasant mornings trying to identify the person sleeping next to you. 

post #34 of 41

Did you end up taking a trip with the club? Was there anyone your age?

 

Im in the same situation now. Going to Taos and met the club members. They are all like 10 years older than me at least. Im 35.

post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecno4lif View Post
 

Did you end up taking a trip with the club? Was there anyone your age?

 

Im in the same situation now. Going to Taos and met the club members. They are all like 10 years older than me at least. Im 35.

Welcome to EpicSki!  Did you notice the original post was from March 2013, about a year ago?

 

I had the opposite problem when I tried a ski club trip a couple decades ago.  Most of the folks were 5-10 years younger.  More importantly, they did ski at the same ability level.  They were either too much better or too cautious.  I've been having a lot more fun joining "gatherings" of online ski forums like EpicSki.  Also more flexibility in terms of schedule.  Can easily stay longer or for fewer days if that's what works better for me.  After meeting people that way, I've been able to find new ski buddies and then go on later trips with them, sharing lodging and car expenses.

post #36 of 41

I have fun skiing with my ski club, regardless of people's ages. (Typically 50-65 year-olds.) I'm 33, and I can always find folks who ski at the same pace and generally the same terrain (or meet at the chair). I don't have many friends in Ontario outside of the ski club who can keep up. (It's different with my friends out west.) 

 

It's also cool to be able to give back to the club by teaching now. 

post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphor_ View Post
 

I have fun skiing with my ski club, regardless of people's ages. (Typically 50-65 year-olds.) I'm 33, and I can always find folks who ski at the same pace and generally the same terrain (or meet at the chair). I don't have many friends in Ontario outside of the ski club who can keep up. (It's different with my friends out west.) 

 

It's also cool to be able to give back to the club by teaching now. 

 

How's that teaching going this season, @Metaphor_?

post #38 of 41

Oh, it's going great. I've been getting the step 7-9 groups, so we've developed skills around bumps, carving, generating speed, skiing steeps, etc. It's been eye opening to ski with this crowd - they surprise me with the things they're up for! And everyone knows their limits (which are often higher than I imagined). 

post #39 of 41

Not the one I joined!  I'm in my early 40s and just joined a meetup ski group but noticed they are mostly younger, single and male.   Being female with a family who skis, sharing rooms on a trip is not my way to go.   Also being from MI, I'd much rather fly than spend all day driving.  I have a hard time finding girlfriends who want to ski and would love to do a girlfriends trip.  Fortunately we have very close family friends who are also skiers.  Only downside to BFF is that she is waaay better and is bored by what we have here in MI.  We ski several times during the season together taking trips with all 5 of them and 4 of us.  

 

I always ask on my kid' playdates if the friends are "skiing families".  Out of respect for my marriage, I don't really do outings where I might be the only female.  In the family, I'm the one who LOVES skiing.  I also chaperone the kindergarteners' ski group and lots of Dads (kids, busy careers) come up and ski.  

post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskier View Post
 

Not the one I joined!  I'm in my early 40s and just joined a meetup ski group but noticed they are mostly younger, single and male.   Being female with a family who skis, sharing rooms on a trip is not my way to go.   Also being from MI, I'd much rather fly than spend all day driving.  I have a hard time finding girlfriends who want to ski and would love to do a girlfriends trip.  Fortunately we have very close family friends who are also skiers.  Only downside to BFF is that she is waaay better and is bored by what we have here in MI.  We ski several times during the season together taking trips with all 5 of them and 4 of us.  

 

I always ask on my kid' playdates if the friends are "skiing families".  Out of respect for my marriage, I don't really do outings where I might be the only female.  In the family, I'm the one who LOVES skiing.  I also chaperone the kindergarteners' ski group and lots of Dads (kids, busy careers) come up and ski.  

Have you ever checked out TheSkiDiva.com ?  There are quite a few who ski in Michigan, some with kids and some without.  Just had a gathering at Snowbasin/PowMow with 30+ attendees.  Not just women, also husbands and other men who are connected to a Diva in some way.

post #41 of 41

Thank you.  I discovered them at the same time as this forum.  Both are great.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Do Ski Clubs attract Mainly Older Crowd?