New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Youth soft snow skis

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

Can anyone give recommendations for youth soft snow skis in the 130-150 range? Ideally, something that has the same design and construction as adult skis, rather than the standard kids' twin tip that's 70 mm. Boys in question are both solid skiers, U8 and U12 respectively. Thanks.

post #2 of 14

I started this thread on the subject last week which has some of my thoughts on it. Searching for it just now I realize I posted it in the wrong sub-forum, btw. http://www.epicski.com/t/119444/modern-powder-shapes-profiles-for-kids-and-kid-sized-adults

 

The Agents are working out well.

post #3 of 14

http://lineskis.com/skis/sir-francis-bacon-shorty-1213

 

I may be a little bit biased, I love my full sized ones in any type of soft snow.

post #4 of 14
Praxis MVP available in 130cm this year.. Same design and construction as the full lengths.
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 

Thanks, some strong ideas. May come down to price, where the Goat Jr's seem to have the edge. Also maybe the realistic float; using Physicman's calculator, an 80 mm wide, 143 cm ski for a 70 lb kid has more float than a Kastle BMX128 for a 180 lb adult. 

 

Makes me wonder about the point of 100 mm skis for little kids; seems like it's directed more at their parents. Or the giants in Jack, Giant-Slayer; matching ratios of surface area to weight for a 100 mm ski of 143 cm in a 70 lb kid would require a 180 lb adult to ski on a 188 cm a shade bigger than:

 

220/200/210 eek.gif

post #6 of 14

Check out the Triple J from Armada. 

post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

Thanks, some strong ideas. May come down to price, where the Goat Jr's seem to have the edge. Also maybe the realistic float; using Physicman's calculator, an 80 mm wide, 143 cm ski for a 70 lb kid has more float than a Kastle BMX128 for a 180 lb adult. 

 

Makes me wonder about the point of 100 mm skis for little kids; seems like it's directed more at their parents. Or the giants in Jack, Giant-Slayer; matching ratios of surface area to weight for a 100 mm ski of 143 cm in a 70 lb kid would require a 180 lb adult to ski on a 188 cm a shade bigger than:

 

220/200/210 eek.gif

 

I almost wish that darn calculator would be deleted... It gives some interesting surface area ratios, but that is only part of the story. The ski size thing is a meeting of many factors. For a bunch of reasons, most adults (self included) ski with what I think is too little surface area. And I ski >110 almost exclusively.... Granted he was in a slightly different age group at the time - but one of my kids started skiing the Line SFB when it first came out (giraffe topsheet one). He's literally never looked back and now chooses to ski a 128 underfoot ski as a daily driver. And does it well - as a number of folks here could likely attest. A lot has to do with familiarity and nuances of technique. I'm not gonna rail against somewhat narrower skis for kids. But I would not rely just on surface area ratios for my selection process.

 

FWIW,  I'd take a serious look at the Praxis Le Petite. If you wanted more of a twin, the MVP is probably not a bad "real ski" kid's size twin suggestion. Likewise for some of the others mentioned. If you go the MVP route, get 'em really soft. Maybe connect with Keith about really specific flex.

post #8 of 14
Thread Starter 

^^^^ Yeah, agree that the simple ratios don't tell the whole story. And obviously all about style. Yet even allowing for kids skiing at slower speeds and with less leg force, still have a hunch that on a 100 mm, it'll be more like water skiing. Not a bad thing; lots of little kids do that just fine and love it. I started when I was 9, at Tahoe, where you really really don't want to fall in. 

 

OTOH, don't want to undermine their coaches rewarding them for big edge angles. Plenty of time later to learn how to smear... biggrin.gif

post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 

Actually minor thread wander, but learning question, maybe Epic or others who teach can address:

 

Does learning to ski on a wider ski alter the trajectory of how a child learns to ski soft snow, but perhaps make it easier, still put him/her in the right place at the end? Or does it promote a different style of skiing than what he/she would learn on a narrower ski? Which may be a good thing or bad thing later depending? No hidden agenda here, not at all clear kids learn the same way as adults, honestly interested. 

post #10 of 14

My son went to the 148 Got jrs .  He is 11, 90lbs, athletic and level 9 in the ski school system if that means anything.  At first I was worried that the full rocker would be a hindrance but it actually improved his skiing because it forced him to get out of the back seat and get up on the ski.  That in itself improved all areas of his skiing and specifically the moguls and deep powder.  We don't get a lot of ice but they seem to work well for him in those conditions and keeping the edges sharp obviously helps.  

 

I'm looking for ideas for skis for him next year as he seems to keep growing at a rapid pace no matter how much I starve him.

post #11 of 14
Thread Starter 

^^^^ Helpful, Rod. Yeah, the starving thing doesn't work, just makes them irritable. 

post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

Actually minor thread wander, but learning question, maybe Epic or others who teach can address:

 

Does learning to ski on a wider ski alter the trajectory of how a child learns to ski soft snow, but perhaps make it easier, still put him/her in the right place at the end? Or does it promote a different style of skiing than what he/she would learn on a narrower ski? Which may be a good thing or bad thing later depending? No hidden agenda here, not at all clear kids learn the same way as adults, honestly interested. 

 

Well, I can't say that I have had a lot of experience with teaching children on wider skis because for the most part, they are not on wider skis, but I have my kids on them and recommend them for kids that are skiing soft snow because in my experience, they are safer and more importantly funner!

 

I do think there is a limit to how wide a kid's ski should be. At least around here. We had a nice powder day last week and the kids from the race program were out on whatever they could get their hands on. A friends kid was on the Shiro Jrs and wasn't a fan. He didn't have a lot of experience on them, so maybe just wasn't used to them, but he though they were too wide. By the same token, I think that the 80mm Goat Jr is a bit too skinny for a kid over say 60 lbs or so (we are done with ours for now, btw, they are 138s with Tyrolia Lite Rails, and they have entered the "hand-me -down pool", so you guys could demo them if you are in the area). As much as I think those Line skis seem like fun, 120ish millimeters at the waist seems ludicrous for a kid. Would be nice to try though.

post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

^^^^ Helpful, Rod. Yeah, the starving thing doesn't work, just makes them irritable. 

 

I just give mine cigarettes.

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

 

 By the same token, I think that the 80mm Goat Jr is a bit too skinny for a kid over say 60 lbs or so

Interesting.  I wish I could have caught my kid on the gopro when we skied the backcountry and untracked powder last week after the big dump.  My son commented on how fun it felt to be porpoising thru the pow.   It looked to me like he was varying between boot top to just below the knee on the downward dive.  Seemed like plenty of float to me.

 

PS.  I tried giving him coffee to stunt his growth but he doesn't like it. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion