EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › First Week of April In Vermont?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Week of April In Vermont?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 

Thinking about taking the family to Vermont from March 31 through the first week of April.  Things look great up there right now....do you think conditions will change much by next week?  I have not seen anyone forecasting a torch for next week but a steady rain would of course suck as well.

 

Considering Jay, Sugarbush and Okemo.  Never been to Jay but I am thinking it would be the best bet because its the farthest north, do you think it would have the best conditions of the three?  I have been to SB and Okemo but I dont know how the three resorts would compare regarding maininting good skiing conditions when the meltdown/rain begins.  Okemo is known for keeping conditions pretty good in low snow years and warm periods but I dont know if that is really applicable to the conditions we are seeing now.

 

Finally, how is Jay for kids?  I know it has a waterpark but how is the ski school and is the mountain too advanced for young kids (10 and 6 who can ski easy, groomed blues)?

 

So bottom line, do you think the conditions will be ok, good, or stellar next week?

 

Thanks!

post #2 of 26

Just got back from 2 weeks at Killington Friday.  Vermont is currently seeing some of the best conditions of the season.  But in the east, things can change overnight.  Current weather looks to stay cool this week, so things should remain good.  Go.

post #3 of 26

Things are looking very good.  I'm sure Jay will be good, but I'm sure everywhere will be good.  Ski and be happy.  I was at Gore this weekend and it was 100% open.  

post #4 of 26

jay peak will definitely have some of the most snow around, and it is supposed to get more on and off this week. The kids will love the waterpark as well.  That being said its one of the last places I'd recommend for easy groomers.  Besides the run-out there isn't much beginner terrain, and most of their blues get real icy real fast.  They do have a new beginner/kids ski center this year, though, and if it snows there's no better place to be.

post #5 of 26

I don't think Jay is the best mountain for your kids. Try Sugarbush, or if you want to head further north, Stowe and Smuggs.

post #6 of 26

Natural snow is nice, but the natural snow trails will burn out fast when it gets warm. Look to the places that blew the snow deep back in December. They will have great conditions no matter how warm it is. Stowe, K, Okemo, Snow, maybe SB.

post #7 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiking4 View Post

I don't think Jay is the best mountain for your kids. Try Sugarbush, or if you want to head further north, Stowe and Smuggs.

 

eh they have huge flat run out on the bottom of the mountain. great teaching terrain. Better than here in fact.  we have a higher certified staff though.

post #8 of 26

Stratton also has a very solid base right now.

post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post

Natural snow is nice, but the natural snow trails will burn out fast when it gets warm. Look to the places that blew the snow deep back in December. They will have great conditions no matter how warm it is. Stowe, K, Okemo, Snow, maybe SB.

 

Not trying to hijack, but do people think that Stowe or Killington will have better conditions in mid-April than Jay?  I assumed since Jay had more natural snow (even if claims are inflated), they would hold up better.  But I know that they stopped making snow a while ago. 

post #10 of 26

Josh is right about Jay having plenty of terrain for kids and I am sure their low angle stuff will hold up for a few more weeks at least.  Epic is right when he says Stowe will have more base due to more snow making.  Okemo has a great base right now but I find they begins shutting down restaurants and such buy this time of year so it can be a little spartan in that regard.  Killington should be fine as well.

 

I think you safest bets would be Stowe and Killington.

post #11 of 26

With the amount of natural snow in VT. now any place will still be good the first week of April. We are talking about only a few days from now. Just be aware that Mt. Ellen at Sugarbush & Pico at Killington are scheduled to close this Sunday if that affects your planning at all. There is a bit more natural snow the further north you go but the southern resorts also have their fair share. Your biggest concern right now should be the weather, not snow.

post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by yossarian143 View Post

 

Not trying to hijack, but do people think that Stowe or Killington will have better conditions in mid-April than Jay?  I assumed since Jay had more natural snow (even if claims are inflated), they would hold up better.  But I know that they stopped making snow a while ago. 

 

 

just because they stopped making snow awhile ago doesnt mean it is not still around.

 

Josh

post #13 of 26

As of today, Killington is 100% open.  So that includes all the natural snow trails with no snowmaking.  At this point I don't think you can go wrong anywhere in Vermont.  As noted, it all depends on the weather.  If it stays cool and no rain, no problems.  If it warms up and rains, then the resorts with deep bases and lots of gromming capability will be the places to be.

post #14 of 26
Thread Starter 

Thanks much for all of the responses.  We booked Jay...heading up Easter Sunday.  Looks like there could be some rain Sunday night into Monday but otherwise looks good.  Who knows, maybe that rain will be snow!

 

I am hoping Jay will be good for my family.  My girls have been skiing a few years although they are in need of formal instruction, especially the 6 year old who is fearless and a kamikazi on blue runs.  Also, my 10 year old has never used poles so I am thinking she is ready to learn to use them.  I am hoping we like the tree and glade skiing and that will be a little different from what we are used to (kids and wife are used to groomed trails).
 

As far as Vermont goes, I have only skied at Okemo and Sugarbush.  Some of my favorite trails are Murphy's Glades, Birch Run and Sleeper Chutes at SB.  Does Jay have some trails like those?

 

Thanks

post #15 of 26

Please let us know what you think.  I am heading to VT a little after you and Jay is the preferred destination.  I am also planning on having my 9 and 6 year old take lessons while we are up there.  Where are you staying at Jay?

post #16 of 26
Thread Starter 

Sure I will let you know how it is.  We are staying at the Tram Haus.  We were debating between Okemo, Sugarbush, Smuggs and Jay.  We have been to Okemo (twice) and SB is closing Mt Ellen beginning April 1 so it came down to Smuggs and Jay.  We really liked the looks of Smuggs too but Jay was a little more affordable and we like the waterpark at Jay compared to the amenities at Smuggs (although Smuggs certainly has a lot of great activities as well).

 

As far as snow conditions we also thought Jay and Smuggs would be best considering how far north they are. 

 

When are you planning on going?

post #17 of 26

April 13!  School break is late here in CT.  We are going to Mt. Snow on Sunday, but we have all been excited about a longer trip.  Jay has the water park, which could be nice for a change, particularly if it rains.  My concern with Jay is that they stopped blowing snow a while ago and the base could deteriorate real fast compared with Killington or some other place like that.  We were considering staying in the Slopeside condos as they are a little more affordable than the Tram House, and would offer us 2 BRs instead of 1.

post #18 of 26

We went to Jay early season this year and the water park was a blast.  It was uncrowded when we went and should be when you are there as well.  The kids will love it.  

post #19 of 26
Thread Starter 

We were looking at the slopeside condos as well and they looked super nice too.  Interestingly when comparing Smuggs and Jay, Jay was cheaper including sking and waterpark at Tram Haus compared to slopeslide condo "classic package" at Smuggs.  When you compare slodeside condo to slopeside condo, Jay is even more affordable.

 

The waterpark is what really sold Jay for us.  This time of the year with rain a real threat the option of a water park that the whole family can enjoy is key.

 

One thing regarding your April 13th stay, you should check regarding what amenities are still open for that time period.  For example, I checked on the spa at Jay for my wife and its open all week next week but beginning April 8th there will be more limited hours (I think she said Thurs - Sunday).  I think the waterpark hours can change too (I think it opens later and closes earlier certain days).  You should check on that kind of stuff.

post #20 of 26

Jay, IMO, is pretty pricey mid season but they always offer great early and late season deals. I may head up the second weekend of April myself.

post #21 of 26

Make sure you guinea pig the woods yourself before you throw the kids into them. It's going to be very warm next week and the snow can get pretty hollow. Even the easiest woods can get pretty hard when it is like that.

post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 

Thanks Epic.  Thats good advice.

post #23 of 26

Any report on Jay?  How was it?  We are going up in a week.  I know the weather is turning and rain is in the forecast, but we'll give it a shot.  The rates were great and the waterpark is still there.

post #24 of 26

It must've been good. It's been a great week here at Stowe. Still feels like January - actually better.

post #25 of 26
Thread Starter 

It was stellar!  Got in Sunday night (March 31) and left Friday afternoon (April 5).  But for Sunday, it snowed every day we were there including Friday morning.  We had some icing holds on the Tram and Flyer on Monday afternoon and wind holds on all of the upper mountain lifts on Wednesday but for the Triple Jet.  Otherwise the skiing was great!  The kids loved the waterpark, arcade and the easy tree runs (all of the moons, Bushwacker and Kokomo).  My six year old was doing all of the blue runs (Goat Run, Northway, Montrealer, etc....even River Quai) as long as they were not bumped up (there were a few bumped up blues).  My 10 year old was doing some of the easy, non-bumped blacks such as The Jet and Haynes and she went into the Beaver Pond Glades during an afternoon lesson with an instructor.  Good food, good beer, really good vibe.  We liked the Tram Haus a lot.  Also, the place was full of french canadians and, for some reason, a huge group from Britain (100 or so) which gave the week a neat international flair especially for the kids.

 

That Flyer chairlift is really long and wow, it can get really windy and cold (even in April).  We had snow, zero visibility and high winds going up on Monday afternoon and that was a little dicey with the six year old.  People were saying that its the longest high speed quad on the East Coast...?

post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyles View Post

It was stellar!  Got in Sunday night (March 31) and left Friday afternoon (April 5).  But for Sunday, it snowed every day we were there including Friday morning.  We had some icing holds on the Tram and Flyer on Monday afternoon and wind holds on all of the upper mountain lifts on Wednesday but for the Triple Jet.  Otherwise the skiing was great!  The kids loved the waterpark, arcade and the easy tree runs (all of the moons, Bushwacker and Kokomo).  My six year old was doing all of the blue runs (Goat Run, Northway, Montrealer, etc....even River Quai) as long as they were not bumped up (there were a few bumped up blues).  My 10 year old was doing some of the easy, non-bumped blacks such as The Jet and Haynes and she went into the Beaver Pond Glades during an afternoon lesson with an instructor.  Good food, good beer, really good vibe.  We liked the Tram Haus a lot.  Also, the place was full of french canadians and, for some reason, a huge group from Britain (100 or so) which gave the week a neat international flair especially for the kids.

 

That Flyer chairlift is really long and wow, it can get really windy and cold (even in April).  We had snow, zero visibility and high winds going up on Monday afternoon and that was a little dicey with the six year old.  People were saying that its the longest high speed quad on the East Coast...?

 

The Flyer... aka "The freezer"

 

Sounds like a great trip! Beaver Pond is a sweet glade that isn't as challenging as a lot of the other diamond terrain there.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Resorts, Conditions & Travel
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › Mountain/Resort Related Forums › Resorts, Conditions & Travel › First Week of April In Vermont?