We're expecting a pretty decent snow storm Sunday night out at Seven Springs, Pa. However due to low volume ticket sales during the week Seven Springs won't reopen till Friday . Too high a percentage of season pass holders make up the late spring skiers.KIds are off school for Easter as well this week. With bottom line Bob Nutting making the decisions we can count on financials first hard core skier satisfaction coming in second.We get a solid month of skiing in the months of March maybe once maybe twice a decade. Hey, Bob keep the bull wheel turning will ya!
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Cheap skiing around West Virginia Last post on 11/28/12 at 8:43am in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- 2016-17 Southeast/Mid-Atlantic meetups, weather (NC, VA, WV, MD, west PA) Last post on 10/20/16 at 9:49am in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
- Holiday Valley and Wisp trip report Last post on 1/3/14 at 2:55pm in Trip Reports
- Best value Mid-Atlantic resort? Last post on 12/3/12 at 2:40pm in Resorts, Conditions & Travel
- Mid-Atlantic Gathering 2016-17 Discussion Last post on 9/28/16 at 5:45pm in Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go
Great performance , tecnica design is outstanding
The Cyclic is now in its 4th season with the only change being the top sheet graphics each year. No reason to change this ski, it is nearly flawless. Wider tip with rocker, camber, and tail rocker...
Nord-Dobe-Spitfire Pro EDT. GOD-HELL !! This is another ONE. Smooth. Damp. Grip. NO Chatter -At All. Warp-Drive. Nice transition from slip to grip. BIG SWEET SPOT. These were also the...
This is my home resort so I admit, I'm biased. But, I have been skiing seriously at Sunrise since 2009. It's located in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona. The main towns in the area are...
The mountain was almost lost a few years back, but the rally was made and it seems on solid ground. A very relaxed atmosphere and a nice lodge. Excellent crowded weekend escape from Sunday...
Big Spring Storm Coming and the lifts won't be running
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Same story every season now. Resorts open whatever dirt they can in November and December then shut down over several feet of snow in March (May out West). People want what they don't quite have yet. It's now get ready for golf and fishing season season. Next October it will be get ready for ski season season again..
Until the marketing and PR folks finally decide ski season should be late December-May instead of late November-March the real skiers will always be left behind.
^^^^^How flat is Wisp? It looks pretty darn flat and I wonder if their 700 feet of vertical is really not possible/practical from most spots on the mountain. It looks like it is under 4 hours from Columbus, Ohio and I was kind of tossing around checking it out if I get "sick" tomorrow or Tuesday. However, I'm not looking for something that is just Snow Trails (yawn), Ohio with more vertical.
Timberline has announced they will be open everyday this week, but they are closing for good the 31st. They could definitely go another weekend or probably two given how much snow they had last weekend and the new snow last week plus what is coming.
Any chance BK will open Easter Weekend?
The ski industry needs to figure out a way to properly market spring skiing. Everyone falls over themselves to ski the WROD in November-December and then turn their backs on the best skiing later in the season :(.
The Springs and Hidden Valley announced they will stay open all week.
HV ticket prices $25 any age (announced 2nd.).
7S has not posted ticket prices but rate for last Thursday and this weekend were $51 adult.(3rd place)
No word on Blue Knob.
T-line, WV tickets are listed late season $32/22. midweek.(scooped them all by announcing first)
Snowshoe stated closing has been to March 31 all along. Tickets: $59/52/49 (Grand Prize)
^^^^^How flat is Wisp? It looks pretty darn flat and I wonder if their 700 feet of vertical is really not possible/practical from most spots on the mountain. It looks like it is under 4 hours from Columbus, Ohio and I was kind of tossing around checking it out if I get "sick" tomorrow or Tuesday.
Never been to Wisp actually. I know I'm not that excited about 7 Springs though ($$!), so I figure I may as well go somewhere new. Unless BK decides they still want to be a ski resort this week...
Anyway -- if I end up going, I'll post something about it.
Edited by outlier - 3/24/13 at 3:42pm
Hee, hee. Like I should talk. Timberline is going off with the best late season condition in years. I'll be at Blue Knob Friday (I hope) to get me some 3 day old untracked. Lifts start at 10am.
I've been holding out hope that Snowshoe would give in to the masses and decide to extend the season (they've gotten copious amounts of snow over the last couple weeks with more on the way), but it doesn't look like the case. Silver Creek closed two weekends back, but they're "re-opening" it with limited availability for the weekend night skiing for this final weekend.
Such a bummer knowing there's that much snow on the ground and we won't be able to enjoy it.
Swallowed my pride and ended up at 7S today*. Only North Face, Avalanche, the less interesting express Quad, and the Condo Lift (!) were running (because they had to set up the zipline course? this is an unfamiliar excuse for me). Second time I've ever been there (first was two years ago).
I will now attempt to add worth to the thread. Photos are cell phone captured.
A *forbidden slope*! (On the other side of the CLOSED sign.)
Mine is the one on the right.
- Five, six inches of new snow I guess?
- Not exactly crowded, but not exactly empty either. The locals indicated that this was noticeably bigger than the usual mid-week crowd.
- Very high quality on the random lift strangers -- probably a 9 out of 10. Even the boarder from Philly was pleasant company.
- I was kind of bummed that Gunnar was closed, but, as it turned out, this meant that Giant Steps was not well-traveled (it was technically closed).
- Very sincere thanks to the retired carpenter from Ligonier who showed me the back way to the top of the Giant Steps lift (around the back of the Tahoe lodge and up the road). Had some very nice untracked powder runs back there that stayed mostly untracked (at least at the top and bottom) all day. He alone probably bumps up the RLS rating to a full 10.
- Dude also gave me a good line to follow since I haven't had much experience with powder. It was awesome, borderline euphoric (though short-lived).
- By 2 there were bare spots starting to show up along the lift line and by 2:30 the snow (on the ground) was getting wet-heavy in places.
- It was clear that opening up this week was a last-minute decision. For instance, there was only one food place open and they were 86 on half their menu.
- Skiing is always fun; today especially.
Also, for anyone who was planning on going first-thing tomorrow and getting first tracks anywhere on Giant Steps, sorry I contributed to screwing that up for you. Maybe they'll get another six inches tonight.
* Had a great day and it was totally worth it -- but $51 on a weekday for two-ish ski-worthy lifts and 700 feet of vertical (800?) seems exorbitant. I only paid $60 for Squaw a few weeks ago -- I mean, I got a *deal* there, but still. On the other hand, AT LEAST THEY WERE OPEN and, for that, my gratitude.
It turns out Wisp is very flat and 700' seems overstated. For instance, Avalanche at 7S is longer and *much* steeper than anything at Wisp. It would probably be a good place to take a family full of beginners and low intermediates. No one would ever have to be scared.
- Big Spring Storm Coming and the lifts won't be running
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Ski Instructor Demo: Short video of TDK skiing in St Anton 15 seconds ago
- › What do you take when resort skiing? 5 minutes ago
- › Cons and Pros. Atomic Vantage cti 90 vs Nordica Enforcer 93 7 minutes ago
- › Rate my workout! 15 minutes ago
- › Race Boot Recommendations 42 minutes ago
- › Kids boot sizing 45 minutes ago
- › 2016-17 Northeast Region — Weather, Stoke, Craic . . . 1 hour, 7 minutes ago
- › fischer skis the new curve or progressors 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › How do i go from snow plow to a complete parallel turn? 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › Holiday Valley, Seven Springs, Snowshoe, Bristol Lets Meetup! 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
- › Tecnica Diablo Race Pro 110 Ski Boot - Men's by CowTown
- › 2015 Head Cyclic 115 Ski by snokat
- › 2014 Nordica Dobermann SLR EVO Ski by g-force
- › Sunrise Park Resort by mitchsb
- › Black Mountain of Maine by Maineac
- › Camden Snow Bowl by Maineac
- › Mt. Abram Family Resort by Maineac
- › Shawnee Peak Ski Area by Maineac
- › Chepelare by Tom Tough
- › 2014 K2 AMP Charger Ski by Jhernon
- › Undeterred Courage: An Interview with High...
- › Park City 2.0
- › Forsake Sneakerboots - The Convergence of...
- › Feeder Hill Highlights - Snow Ridge Ski Area...
- › EpicSki Interview with James Niehues
- › 2017 Nordica Women's Santa Ana Skis
- › 2017 Nordica Men's Alpine Ski Collection
- › Head Joy Collection - Women's Skis Done...
- › 2016/17 Multi-Pass Options
- › Learn to Ski in Summer