or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Are fat skis and rocker over-rated?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Are fat skis and rocker over-rated? - Page 4

post #91 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post


I have been that racer, and I was on race skies at that time when my buds and I ski we do go fast, we pass most people like they were standing still, no brag just the way it is, some days you get the need for speed. The guys I ski with I have skied with for 30 years and when people talk shit on the chair we tell them we are old and don't ski like we used to, often we see the same people still coming down as we are going up the chair. I have tucked a hard packed black top to bottom and gone way faster than that, 207 GS skies vibrating from more speed than they were made to take. Most skiers are doing about 25 mph according to what I read and what I measure. A faster skier is over 30mph and one passing most people is over 40 mph a skier going over 50 is real fast, over 60 is usually only for a shot part of a run, unless you are straight shooting a black run or steeper blue run. I have times where I want to make a lot of turns, and go slower and times where I feel the need for speed. A number of skiers here know what I am saying and are high level skiers, I can tell by what you post, I bet there are some real extreme skiers here that do things the rest of us would not, I have skied with some very good skiers that blow me away with their ability. Not everyone skies the same so why do people here measure what others do by what they do?

 

For the love of a paragraph (somewhere).

post #92 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen View Post
 

I think the fastest the Downhill PROFESSIONALS in speedsuits on 200+ cm race tuned skis in full tuck on steep icy courses reach is low 70s. At least that is what is showed on TV in the bottom corner when they are measuring with probably pretty accurate equipment. But I'm sure your watches from Radio Shack do just fine.

 

 

the thing is they have to turn, I can just go straight down a couple miles of trail in a tuck. C;mon man know physics. 

 

this is easily 50+ Mph considering the trail length and the short time to ski it. in normal clothes and I am not tucking or going straight. 

 

post #93 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles Pdx View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by core2 View Post
 

You guys rock the powduh cords on your fats?  http://www.amazon.com/California-Sports-Accessories-Powder-Cord/dp/B002VKIHHU

Powder cords get buried and come loose.

 

Ski Retrievers.

 

Oh god, so there is something more gaperish than powder cords.

 

That said, I'm waffling on whether or not to start tying streamers to my skis on 40"+ days. I've had some scary moments looking for my white topsheet skis.

 

Whenever I start to think it is a good idea, I see the people in the lift line dragging 3' of neon tape behind them. Can it be that had to tuck it up your pant leg?

post #94 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagles Pdx View Post
 

 

Powder cords get buried and come loose.

 

Ski Retrievers.

my ski retriever

 Un golden retriever con una pelota de tenis.

post #95 of 117

The pooch will not be thanking you for that job in February.

 

post #96 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
 

I see the people in the lift line dragging 3' of neon tape behind them. Can it be that had to tuck it up your pant leg?

 

Way easy to tuck in…way easier to come out if you go in any snow over your boots, the snow grabs the exposed part of the cords and voila…a neon tail.  Using the rubber band doesn't work as then you have a 50/50 of it not breaking if the ski comes off and no tell tail.

 

Of course if you ever buried a ski in deep powder you'd have something…it's never where you think it is and they just submarine.  Getting down from Greely Bowl on one ski is way not fun. Plus after a few beers at lunch, the beeper works great for those of us with old timers disease figuring our where we left the skis.

post #97 of 117

I've skied on the Lauberhorn course quite a bit.   The part where  Carlo Janka hit 98.66 mph (a record for WC DH) is not steep at all, it is just a straight shot on an easy slope.

 

The last steep has a speed trap for the public.  From a standing start, on 180's wearing overpants and a small pack, I hit 100 kph  (62 mph).  Certified by Swiss timing.  Speeds of 60 are not that hard to reach.  The wind resistance increases at the square of the speed, so at 100 mph it is almost three times what it is at 60.

 

A GPS can record max speed very well.  You need some familiarity to spot the occasional anomaly, but if someone regularly hits a certain speed, it is most likely correct.

post #98 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post


I have been that racer, and I was on race skies at that time when my buds and I ski we do go fast, we pass most people like they were standing still, no brag just the way it is, some days you get the need for speed. The guys I ski with I have skied with for 30 years and when people talk shit on the chair we tell them we are old and don't ski like we used to, often we see the same people still coming down as we are going up the chair. I have tucked a hard packed black top to bottom and gone way faster than that, 207 GS skies vibrating from more speed than they were made to take. Most skiers are doing about 25 mph according to what I read and what I measure. A faster skier is over 30mph and one passing most people is over 40 mph a skier going over 50 is real fast, over 60 is usually only for a shot part of a run, unless you are straight shooting a black run or steeper blue run. I have times where I want to make a lot of turns, and go slower and times where I feel the need for speed. A number of skiers here know what I am saying and are high level skiers, I can tell by what you post, I bet there are some real extreme skiers here that do things the rest of us would not, I have skied with some very good skiers that blow me away with their ability. Not everyone skies the same so why do people here measure what others do by what they do?

 

For the love of a paragraph (somewhere).

I remember smoking my Volkl P9s RS Racing 210s at Winter Park years ago, running as fast top to bottom as possible. There was a lip on Little Pierre run which would launch us and we were skiing as fast as the skis would take us. Being the faster skier in my group I thought I was something until I hit that lip at the same time as a Swedish Girl RaceTeam Member (They were practicing at Winter Park) and as we launched at the same time she clicked her skis together sideways, winked at me in the air and when she hit the landing she was gone and I mean gone!. Took my ego down a few notches and showed me how slow I really was!

post #99 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

For the love of a paragraph (somewhere).

I have noticed that with some people here their main contribution to this forum is to slam others and argue minor points to death.
post #100 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfifield View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofun3 View Post

For the love of a paragraph (somewhere).

I have noticed that with some people here their main contribution to this forum is to slam others and argue minor points to death.
You've gotta admit, it was a very long paragraph. Makes it about as hard to read as ENTIRE PARAGRAPHS OF ALL-CAPS SHOUTING.
post #101 of 117
I admit it was long, but there does appear to be a bit of hostility among some posters towards others, many are quick to jump on others, often without knowing what the person was trying to say.
post #102 of 117
As someone who regularly remarks on long posts with no paragraph breaks, I want people to know I don't mean to pick on anyone. It's just that I'm a little bit cross eyed, so I literally get lost in long unbroken passages.

Anyhow, back to our originally scheduled program.

In doing so, might I point out that some of you have stated speeds in kpm, others in mph, but most with no unit of measurement at all?
post #103 of 117
I will be more aware of long paragraphs and make my posts easier to read, I do want to communicate and add to this forum, so I guess that would be the best thing to do. It just would be nice if people could say things slightly more polite.
post #104 of 117
Oh, it's the internet, people don't think about what they're saying anyway, and it hasn't been a great snow year. You want to see cranky and hostile on a ski forum, though, just wait until late April!
post #105 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by litterbug View Post

Oh, it's the internet, people don't think about what they're saying anyway, and it hasn't been a great snow year. You want to see cranky and hostile on a ski forum, though, just wait until late April!

 



LOL
post #106 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by litterbug View Post

Oh, it's the internet, people don't think about what they're saying anyway, and it hasn't been a great snow year. You want to see cranky and hostile on a ski forum, though, just wait until late April!

 

It's been great here....  That's one reason I haven't been posting a lot.  I'll be resting and rafting in April.

post #107 of 117

We know, we know.  

post #108 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee View Post
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by justruss View Post

 

I guess I'm saying: SUV ≠ off-road performance. 

 

Silly thread direction.  Some SUVs, like my 4Runner, are excellent off-road.  Mine has gone deep into the Maze at Canyonlands.  And some people don't take their fat skis off piste.  But let's drop this useless analogy.  

 

Do people ever buy sports equipment that is designed for use above, or different from, their abilities?  Golf, running, probably even bowling - of course.  And almost as often, people start Internet threads about it.  <-that probably rivals cats as a popular Internet topic.  

 

Understand your needs, get gear needed, refrain from commenting on others' perception of their needs unless asked.  

Here Here!

post #109 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttinski View Post
 

Rocker is not limited to fat skis.

 

Girth has it's advantages with the main drawback being tired feet after riding steep hard surfaces.

 

When I first rode my Bodacious on the WROD early season fare, I had a BALL.  These gigantic tame rodeo bulls were magical in their ability to carve rails or smear with the slightest change in input.

 

Once steeper bigger runs opened up I noticed my feet cramping up, big time.

 

As soon as I went to a narrower MX98 my feet hurt a LOT less.  Seeing how 98mm was better, I splurged on some Volkl Code Speedwalls at 75mm and I discovered how fun narrow is.  These are the skinniest boards I rode in a decade at least but they are my new favorite.  A wee bit of tip and tail rise convert these from your typical unforgiving Volkl stiffy ride to a fun playful easy ride with a huge sweet spot. 

 

One factor in deeper fluff/crud is if the boot width exceeds the ski width.  Sinking in, and dragging boot edges is not fun, so if it looks like it is less than ankle deep, I reach for the green beasts, if more, I ride fat all the way.

Are you talking about Volkl Code L or S ?

post #110 of 117
Well I went a billionty billion on my new GS skis this weekend. How did I know? Homeland security showed up at my place asking what I knew about weapons of mass piste destruction registering on NSA satellites. :-)
post #111 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

Well I went a billionty billion on my new GS skis this weekend. How did I know? Homeland security showed up at my place asking what I knew about weapons of mass piste destruction registering on NSA satellites. :-)

 

Had the same thing after a couple days on my powder boards last weekend, but they were asking about weapons of mass pow destruction.   Apparently, I've been getting more than my fair share... we need to spread the pow around, ya know :-)

post #112 of 117
you guys are way faster than I am
post #113 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tball View Post

Had the same thing after a couple days on my powder boards last weekend, but they were asking about weapons of mass pow destruction.   Apparently, I've been getting more than my fair share... we need to spread the pow around, ya know :-)

I had to register my Bizzi Bodacious with state and federal authorities as well. I just go way way way too fast... 'All children left behind' as the department of education says. I mean I rock harder than anyone anywhere ever... except for Josh. smile.gif
post #114 of 117
....
post #115 of 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

I'll be resting and rafting in April.

I was thinking June.

This thread would be better answered in the inverse.
post #116 of 117

Skied with my fx104 for the 1st time this week end and I had a really, really really nice week end... Never skied with something that large and it was amazing off-piste! I'm hooked!

post #117 of 117

..

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Skiing Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › General Skiing Discussion › Are fat skis and rocker over-rated?