or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › EpicSki gathering in Europe next winter?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

EpicSki gathering in Europe next winter? - Page 10  

post #271 of 417

I think there are more non stops to Zurich than Geneva, but not Paris.

 

Especially from the East Coast, as Zurich is also a serious financial center, more flights to Zurich than Geneva.  Geneva is actually a quite small airport IMO.

 

There are, oddly enough, non stop flights from San Francisco and LA to Munich, but not Zurich - go figure.

 

But I'm liking the info Jamesj provided, they are the least stupid things I've seen...a couple are even acceptable.  If we do self catering, and I'm in your shared dwelling, you won't have to worry about going hungry, but I'm not into washing up after folks IYKWIM... I do that enough in my day job (SAHM) don't need to do it when I've escaped them!

 

I'm just looking for a good location, and value for money...
 

post #272 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by chraya View Post

Meribel via Paris is more convenient access than St. Anton via Munich (or at least no worse).  But if the Americans can get affordable flights into Zurich than this will make St. Anton more attractive to them.

My past experience has been, all 3 (Paris, Zurich, Munich) are pretty easy to find flights to. Both Paris and Zurich are big hubs where trans-atlantic flights go through and fan out to other european destinations. Munich may require a change from Frankfort. If you're flying through Frankfort, might be equally easy to drop into Innsbruch instead (a bit more expensive but make it up on lower train ticket, shorter time on the train too). Though it depends on which part of US they're coming from, there're a few direct flights to Munich as well 

 

Prices tend to fluctuate quite a bit But I see no advantage of one airport vs the other two. 

post #273 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by chraya View Post

 The question is how accessible is Zurich to those flying from the States?  

 

I did some quick Expedia searching (from NY and Chicago) comparing flights to Zurich, Paris and Geneva and the prices seem to be similar (within $60 for the cheapest fare quoted).  These prices are going to change so I'll leave it to the people who actually have to buy the tickets to provide more detailed input.  At first glance, however, Zurich does not appear to be less convenient to access from the States.

post #274 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Munich or Zurich is roughly the same price for me (sometimes one is cheaper, an hour and a half goes by and now it's the other one) and nothing is convenient where I live. Is there a difference in the price of the train? If you're carrying ski equipment, fewer changes make a huge difference.

 

But sibhusky are you coming?

post #275 of 417

Hmmm.  I'm late to the thread, and I am not sure that many of the Western US skiers would find it worth the expense to fly to Europe.  OTOH, it has always been on my bucket list of places to ski.  For perspective, here is what probably a typical active US skier may look for:

 

1. Ski experience that is radically different from the US experience- read long runs, essentially traveling from village to village on skis.  many of us have season passes and ski regularly at the mountains that are destinations at their own right.  

2. Cultural experiences that are different from the US- good on and off-mountain food and ambiance are important.  The Eropean trip option competes for vacation $$s with cat- and heli-skiing options here in the US.  

3. Possibility for great off-piste skiing.  Here is where having a group is good plus, as you can share the cost of a guide and do multiple days off-piste. No one would fly out from the US West to ski groomers, so having a good group with fairly well-matched skill level becomes important.  

4. Location and transfer are a lot less important than reliability of snow, at least for the Western US crowd.  Its one thing to fly or drive to Tahoe, Aspen, or Jackson and not have good snow, but flying half way across the world and facing bad snow is a pretty unappealing perspective.  Of course Eastern US skiers may care less, its a flight for them either way.   Even if those bus seats are cramped, they are not nearly as cramped as the plane seats.

post #276 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by at_nyc View Post

My past experience has been, all 3 (Paris, Zurich, Munich) are pretty easy to find flights to. Both Paris and Zurich are big hubs where trans-atlantic flights go through and fan out to other european destinations. Munich tend to require a change from Frankfort. If you're flying through Frankfort, might be equally easy to drop into Innsbruch instead (a bit more expensive but make it up on lower train ticket, shorter time too)


Prices tend to fluctuate quite a bit But I see no advantage of one airport vs the other two. 

Thanks for that.  One caveat on Innsbruck is the the airport is prone to close in case of bad weather.  

post #277 of 417
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiAmsterdam View Post

I think there are more non stops to Zurich than Geneva, but not Paris.

 

Especially from the East Coast, as Zurich is also a serious financial center, more flights to Zurich than Geneva.  Geneva is actually a quite small airport IMO.

 

There are, oddly enough, non stop flights from San Francisco and LA to Munich, but not Zurich - go figure.

 

But I'm liking the info Jamesj provided, they are the least stupid things I've seen...a couple are even acceptable.  If we do self catering, and I'm in your shared dwelling, you won't have to worry about going hungry, but I'm not into washing up after folks IYKWIM... I do that enough in my day job (SAHM) don't need to do it when I've escaped them!

 

I'm just looking for a good location, and value for money...
 

Karlyboogy and I are willing to share a small appartment with you (and a friend?)... I offer to cook too. Washing up, however... We'll be fine. Simply put: good location, not too expensive (I hate being in a ski resort knowing that I could be in another great resort for half the price).

post #278 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

  Even if those bus seats are cramped, they are not nearly as cramped as the plane seats.

 

I don't think you've seen the seats on European buses. Even narrower than an economy seat on a transatlantic flight.eek.gif It's one more reason I prefer the train: nice big seats.

post #279 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheizz View Post

Karlyboogy and I are willing to share a small appartment with you (and a friend?)... I offer to cook too. Washing up, however... We'll be fine. Simply put: good location, not too expensive (I hate being in a ski resort knowing that I could be in another great resort for half the price).


Yeah, that's what we'll do.  I was looking for a place with a good location, and other apartments in the same building for our friends on this thread, so I can have a glass of wine before I crash promptly at 9 pm....if I have to walk somewhere to have a glass of wine, I don't know I'd actually do that.

 

I'm almost thinking we should be doing this in March, if only for my ski ability!  I have plans to get myself past my current plateau, but don't know if I will reach it before this trip... I hope so, that would be great to keep up with great skiers off piste, that's my goal, but not there (yet).

 

It looks like my cousin who is a ski instructor will spend the Autumn in Schlamding until mid December or so.  Thinking a super cheeky pre season weekend with her to help me along... and then some coaching at Christmas, I have 2 weeks in Verbier to set my plan forth.

post #280 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

Hmmm.  I'm late to the thread, and I am not sure that many of the Western US skiers would find it worth the expense to fly to Europe.  OTOH, it has always been on my bucket list of places to ski.  For perspective, here is what probably a typical active US skier may look for:

 

1. Ski experience that is radically different from the US experience- read long runs, essentially traveling from village to village on skis.  many of us have season passes and ski regularly at the mountains that are destinations at their own right.  

2. Cultural experiences that are different from the US- good on and off-mountain food and ambiance are important.  The Eropean trip option competes for vacation $$s with cat- and heli-skiing options here in the US.  

3. Possibility for great off-piste skiing.  Here is where having a group is good plus, as you can share the cost of a guide and do multiple days off-piste. No one would fly out from the US West to ski groomers, so having a good group with fairly well-matched skill level becomes important.  

4. Location and transfer are a lot less important than reliability of snow, at least for the Western US crowd.  Its one thing to fly or drive to Tahoe, Aspen, or Jackson and not have good snow, but flying half way across the world and facing bad snow is a pretty unappealing perspective.  Of course Eastern US skiers may care less, its a flight for them either way.   Even if those bus seats are cramped, they are not nearly as cramped as the plane seats.

 

 

I think we are (at the moment at least) looking at St. Anton vs. Meribel (Cervinia also in the running).  I will let Cheizz speak for Meribel since I haven't skied it but St. Anton ticks all of your boxes.  It is especially good with regard to the village to village skiing and the off piste options.  I suspect Meribel is similar but can't speak from experience

post #281 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheizz View Post

Karlyboogy and I are willing to share a small appartment with you (and a friend?)... I offer to cook too. Washing up, however... We'll be fine. Simply put: good location, not too expensive (I hate being in a ski resort knowing that I could be in another great resort for half the price).


Also, I cook everything at home, and basically pop things in the oven... I don't go to the store and think of menu's spontaneously, that's all done ahead of time.  Most of it is frozen, then I put it all in a freezer, and it's still frozen by the time I've arrived.  Normally I can put the freezer out on the balcony and it stays frozen all week... a typical menu for a weeks skiing would be:

 

Ham with scalloped potatoes - salad

Lasagna - salad- bread

Meatballs, roasted potatoes - salad

Taco's with the fixings

Roasted Chicken - veggies

Beef Stroganoff  over pasta with veggies

 

as an example...

post #282 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by chraya View Post

 

 

I think we are (at the moment at least) looking at St. Anton vs. Meribel (Cervinia also in the running).  I will let Cheizz speak for Meribel since I haven't skied it but St. Anton ticks all of your boxes.  It is especially good with regard to the village to village skiing and the off piste options.  I suspect Meribel is similar but can't speak from experience


It could come to a vote... but I'm guessing for this first one, we should stick to St. Anton, even though, personally I'd like to go to Italy if only for the value for money...

 

Already, leaving my girls with their Dad for a week, I'm pushing it, can't also spend all the ski vacation budget on myself, can I?  or can I and live to tell about it?

 

Sent a mail to gather some info on some apartments in St. Anton, will report back when I have more info...

post #283 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by chraya View Post

 

I think we are (at the moment at least) looking at St. Anton vs. Meribel (Cervinia also in the running).  I will let Cheizz speak for Meribel since I haven't skied it but St. Anton ticks all of your boxes.  It is especially good with regard to the village to village skiing and the off piste options.  I suspect Meribel is similar but can't speak from experience

3V also has a lot of off-piste. And each valley has a couple of villages nestled in them too. 

 

The oneproblem is, some of the "villages" aren't terribly pretty... especially when your base camp is already in the only prettier one. 

post #284 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzn View Post

Hmmm.  I'm late to the thread, and I am not sure that many of the Western US skiers would find it worth the expense to fly to Europe.  OTOH, it has always been on my bucket list of places to ski.  For perspective, here is what probably a typical active US skier may look for:

 

1. Ski experience that is radically different from the US experience- read long runs, essentially traveling from village to village on skis.  many of us have season passes and ski regularly at the mountains that are destinations at their own right.  

 

2. Cultural experiences that are different from the US- good on and off-mountain food and ambiance are important.  The European trip option competes for vacation $$s with cat- and heli-skiing options here in the US.  

 

3. Possibility for great off-piste skiing.  Here is where having a group is good plus, as you can share the cost of a guide and do multiple days off-piste. No one would fly out from the US West to ski groomers, so having a good group with fairly well-matched skill level becomes important.  

 

4. Location and transfer are a lot less important than reliability of snow, at least for the Western US crowd.  Its one thing to fly or drive to Tahoe, Aspen, or Jackson and not have good snow, but flying half way across the world and facing bad snow is a pretty unappealing perspective.  Of course Eastern US skiers may care less, its a flight for them either way.   Even if those bus seats are cramped, they are not nearly as cramped as the plane seats.

All excellent points Alexn!

You're right about east coast/west coast.  East coasters have a flight anyway. This year flights west were expensive. Flights to Europe in winter much less than summer. (that's true still?)

Cat skiing in BC is going to be what, $4-500/day? plus lodging. So say $500/day

You guys can drive places out west, BC from Northern Cali isn't that bad 16-18 hours, that gets you Whistler or some cat skiing.

Flights to Europe from west coast are the big ticket.

This is a guess, Flights to Europe from East Coast prob $7-800, West Coast $12-1300.

 

Definitely off piste is highly important to grab west coasters and high level east coasters.

 

Alexn, what about school holidays in California in Feb/March?  Is that a factor?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralVortex View Post

The best way I can describe the difference between a place like Snowbird (which I got to ski a few weeks ago) and a place like St. Anton is with my brother's description.1) He says the thing he likes about the Alps is that they can kill you in a hurry. If you want a cliff, gully, or whatever, it's right there in your face (or below you). Even in a place like Snowbird, you have to go a little out of your way if you really want to hurt yourself. That's really a description of the terrain rather than a desire to die, but you get the point.

 

In St. Anton back in January, my off-piste group did a run from the top of Maroikoepfle (30-min climb from the top of the Albonagrat lift) down to Langen. 2) It was 1300 m (4250') of vertical including a stream, a couple of fairly big gullies, and a frozen waterfall. Then, we had lunch in a lovely little hotel restaurant in Stuben, skied one more run there, and finally went home via third off-piste route back to St. Anton. That was a full day of skiing and we only did three runs (not counting the on-piste cruise to get to Stuben in the morning) in one corner of the Arlberg area.

1) I totally get it. We might want to think of another way to put it? smile.gif

2) Yes, that's the type of thing that's radically different.

 

Btw, do people rappel into couloirs and stuff in St. Anton or is that mostly a Cham , LaGrave etc. thing?

post #285 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiAmsterdam View Post


Also, I cook everything at home, and basically pop things in the oven... I don't go to the store and think of menu's spontaneously, that's all done ahead of time.  Most of it is frozen, then I put it all in a freezer, and it's still frozen by the time I've arrived.  Normally I can put the freezer out on the balcony and it stays frozen all week... a typical menu for a weeks skiing would be:

 

Ham with scalloped potatoes - salad

Lasagna - salad- bread

Meatballs, roasted potatoes - salad

Taco's with the fixings

Roasted Chicken - veggies

Beef Stroganoff  over pasta with veggies

 

as an example...


Yum....

You might get some very accomplished cooks to show up that like preparing meals also. I know people who just love that.

No one from the States is going to fly meals over, I think, but I've heard of stranger things.

As far as people wanting that here, you've got both types.

 

In terms of all that, what is the timing of skiing there?

What time do you generally get off the mountain?

When do lifts close? I take it that the light is not a problem even if you were to be out there till 6pm on some radically different journey?

post #286 of 417

I think west coast flights are about $150-$200 more...as I always fly west coast, but sometimes stop over east coast.. sometimes you just have to jiggle the days a bit to get the right airfare...

 

I think if we get 12 people, we should be happy as clams.... Me, Chiezz, Karlyboggy is 3 - - is it time for a roll call?

post #287 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiAmsterdam View Post

I think west coast flights are about $150-$200 more...as I always fly west coast, but sometimes stop over east coast.. sometimes you just have to jiggle the days a bit to get the right airfare...

 

I think if we get 12 people, we should be happy as clams.... Me, Chiezz, Karlyboggy is 3 - - is it time for a roll call?

You could, but seeing as there is no time and place that might be a bit premature. smile.gif

post #288 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post


Yum....

You might get some very accomplished cooks to show up that like preparing meals also. I know people who just love that.

No one from the States is going to fly meals over, I think, but I've heard of stranger things.

As far as people wanting that here, you've got both types.

 

In terms of all that, what is the timing of skiing there?

What time do you generally get off the mountain?

When do lifts close? I take it that the light is not a problem even if you were to be out there till 6pm on some radically different journey?


Yeah, if someone else wants to cook, great.  But, honestly skiing all day takes most my energy, so popping things in an oven is about as much as I'm going to do, the week of. 

 

I am likely to send a shopping list over of things I do want from the supermarket for stateside friends... 

 

Lifts open around 9 am and close at 5pm, sames as west coast, if I remember correctly.  Begin Feb, light isn't a problem, in December they close the lifts at 4 or 4.30, because of light, but 1 Feb I think is when they start closing the lifts later.  I think there is still decent light at 6pm, but then it is definitely your last run of the day, but you won't see me out there at 6pm.

post #289 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

You could, but seeing as there is no time and place that might be a bit premature. smile.gif


Sure I do.

 

St. Anton, 8 -15 Feb. 2013.  Epic Ski Euro Meet up.

post #290 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiAmsterdam View Post

 

St. Anton, 8 -15 Feb. 2013.  Epic Ski Euro Meet up.

 

Well, I guess you can count me in (reluctant follower), but you might want to make that 2014.

 

I usually plan on staying in one of the B&B's. But, if you need one more to round out the numbers in an apartment/chalet, I could step in. Just list me as an emergency substitute in that regard.

post #291 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

 

Btw, do people rappel into couloirs and stuff in St. Anton or is that mostly a Cham , LaGrave etc. thing?

Not so much from what I've seen. There's plenty of terrain worth traversing or climbing to, but not much worth the time and effort to rappel to.

post #292 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiAmsterdam View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibhusky View Post

Munich or Zurich is roughly the same price for me (sometimes one is cheaper, an hour and a half goes by and now it's the other one) and nothing is convenient where I live. Is there a difference in the price of the train? If you're carrying ski equipment, fewer changes make a huge difference.

But sibhusky are you coming?

Unlikely, but did look up airfares for dates around then - $1300 - indication that I'm interested, but would need to come into some money. The fact that things were swinging back to St. Anton made me subscribe to the thread again. Would be more likely to do it in 2015, however. So, just because I jump in now and again doesn't mean I'm going, just means I can't shut up.
post #293 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeidiAmsterdam View Post

 

St. Anton, 8 -15 Feb. 2013.  Epic Ski Euro Meet up.

Well! Are Cheizz and Chayra on board with that?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralVortex View Post

 

Well, I guess you can count me in (reluctant follower), but you might want to make that 2014

 

I usually plan on staying in one of the B&B's. But, if you need one more to round out the numbers in an apartment/chalet, I could step in. Just list me as an emergency substitute in that regard.

 

It's interesting, I just had habacomike tell me that if it were Cham or LaGrave, he'd be in.

I knew we could snag at least one nutjob for LaGrave, thus the L2Alpes idea.

 

So Heidi, there needs to be an official decision. (whatever that means) So it can be announced on the site.

Gosh, you might even beat the western gathering people in setting a time. That'd be good, since they might shift their date it for yours.

Also, who is/are the gathermeister/s- or whatever you want to call yourselves? Cheizz started it, but y'all could co lead or whatever, or it could be a different arrangement. (socialism, communism...)

post #294 of 417
Tog did already introduced me some pages ago. Like Cheizz and HeidiAmsterdam I am living in the Netherlands and write also on wintersporters.nl.
 
For this site several Dutch and Belgium people, who live in the Alps, are writing blogs and make videoblogs. One of them is Martin. He is a ski-instructor in St Anton am Arlberg.
 
On December the 7th he made a video which showed excellend powder conditions:
 
 
Since then he made a lot of videos, which can be found here:
 
 
Another Dutch site (www.wepowder.com  = English version) is for freeriders.  This site gives excellent information about the weather, destinations and so on.
 
St Anton am Arlberg is described like this:
 
The freeride classic
What's left to write about St. Anton? The place where it all started: skiing in great terrain, plenty of snow and the best apres-ski? That during winter the village changes over into a suburb of Stockholm? The innumorous freeride lines and variations on legendary ridges like Valluga? The fact that on a bluebird day everything is shredded by noon? The marvellous descents to Stuben? The fur coats in Lech who will stay on piste, leaving the front side of the Rüfikopf just for you? The 8 beers in the Mooserwirt at the end of a powderday? The freeride chick, who you tried to impress with some big freeride stories last night, is today totally kicking your ass on a 35+ degree spine? St. Anton is one of these places where after a big dump the freeriders outnumber the piste skiers. If you haven't been in St. Anton yet, it must be on your bucket list.
 
If you want to have inside information about the conditions, look here:
 
 
Information on any freeride destination can be found here:
 
post #295 of 417

Flying into Zurich should be around $850-$950, it depends on a day of the week. Sometimes, this could be cheaper if flying through other European airports (SAS-Kopenhagen, Iberia-Madrid, LOT-Warsaw etc.) Swiss is the only one offering "skis fly free" deal in addition to first bag. Otherwise it is extra $75 each way or so. My advice would be to avoid US carriers, looking at United B767 next to Swiss A330 at Geneva airport things did not look good for American carriers. Older planes, lack of (functioning)  Personal Entertainment Systems, unfriendly and uncomfortable. Lufthansa is another good choice on highly competitive European routes (Lufthansa owns Swiss). This is from ORD and might be helpful for North Americans. Also it is "low season" for frequent flyer miles, meaning it is only 40k (American, British, Iberia-OneWorld) round trip and flight availability is usually plentiful even within few weeks of departure. United is 50K (Star Alliance - Swiss, Lufthansa) 

 

I like everybody's enthusiasm about this gathering !!!

 

Can anybody elaborate on other villages in Arlberg (Lech, Zurs, Stuben, St. Christoph)? It would be helpful in accommodation search knowing pros/cons of each. 

 

Transfer to St.Anton from Zurich might be more comfortable (train) but it is not certainly cheaper than europetransfer.com to Val D'Isere/Tignes. Comfortable 8 passenger mini vans takes you to Val D'Isere in 2hr 15 mins/2:30. Avoid arriving on Saturdays. Easier to travel, limited accommodation options arriving during the week since most place are set up Sat.to Sat. But that road from Bourg St.Maurice to Espace Killy could be a cluster f.ck. Cost is 62Euros each way. Besides, best ski days (least crowded) are actually Saturdays. Just for info, not trying to divert this back to France. 

At least two people are strong "likely" at proposed time (Feb.8-15)

Hint: CV should try skiing in Montenegro. Adventure. Fun. Powder. Cheap. 

post #296 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by goranmilos View Post

Flying into Zurich should be around $850-$950, it depends on a day of the week. Sometimes, this could be cheaper if flying through other European airports (SAS-Kopenhagen, Iberia-Madrid, LOT-Warsaw etc.) Swiss is the only one offering "skis fly free" deal in addition to first bag. Otherwise it is extra $75 each way or so. My advice would be to avoid US carriers, looking at United B767 next to Swiss A330 at Geneva airport things did not look good for American carriers. Older planes, lack of (functioning)  Personal Entertainment Systems, unfriendly and uncomfortable. Lufthansa is another good choice on highly competitive European routes (Lufthansa owns Swiss). This is from ORD and might be helpful for North Americans. Also it is "low season" for frequent flyer miles, meaning it is only 40k (American, British, Iberia-OneWorld) round trip and flight availability is usually plentiful even within few weeks of departure. United is 50K (Star Alliance - Swiss, Lufthansa) 

 

I like everybody's enthusiasm about this gathering !!!

 

Can anybody elaborate on other villages in Arlberg (Lech, Zurs, Stuben, St. Christoph)? It would be helpful in accommodation search knowing pros/cons of each. 

 

Transfer to St.Anton from Zurich might be more comfortable (train) but it is not certainly cheaper than europetransfer.com to Val D'Isere/Tignes. Comfortable 8 passenger mini vans takes you to Val D'Isere in 2hr 15 mins/2:30. Avoid arriving on Saturdays. Easier to travel, limited accommodation options arriving during the week since most place are set up Sat.to Sat. But that road from Bourg St.Maurice to Espace Killy could be a cluster f.ck. Cost is 62Euros each way. Besides, best ski days (least crowded) are actually Saturdays. Just for info, not trying to divert this back to France. 

At least two people are strong "likely" at proposed time (Feb.8-15)

Hint: CV should try skiing in Montenegro. Adventure. Fun. Powder. Cheap. 

 

Lech is were the Royals ski, with the appropriate accommodating price tag, need I say more?  Zurs is the same.  Stuben and St. Christoph are normal prices again, but most folks prefer St. Anton because of the facilities, restaurants, shops, wellness center, blah, blah..

 

Transfers to to L3V was previously tossed around, and the issues is, if coming transatlantic, should encounter a flight SNAFU, unraveling that with a van transfer could present an unpleasant issue.  Not to mention what you already said, the cluster f.ck on the roads.  Swiss trains are frequent, reliable and on time. 

 

If folks wanted to add on some more intense off piste, going back to Zurich by train, you can go further to Engelberg, excellent train connections, a bit more than an hour from Zurich as I recall, and great for 3-4 days of off piste.. then even have a cool, reasonably priced hotel at around 2000 meters, Hotel Trusbee.  I haven't done it, but friends of mine take a cheeky long weekend sans kids every year to get their off piste/powder fix.

 

I will communicate with Chiezz on the sidelines again, and confirm we are co-gatheirmeisters and get the official thread going.  I do believe these dates rival the #2 position for the Utah gathering.

 

Zurich is by far the superior airport, with the carriers having the better equipment flying in.  #NoteToSelf# Must remember to fly Swiss Air when flying to the states for a gathering.  Good point on the frequent flyer miles, indeed off season for point usage...BONUS!

post #297 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tog View Post

Well! Are Cheizz and Chayra on board with that?

 

 

It's interesting, I just had habacomike tell me that if it were Cham or LaGrave, he'd be in.

I knew we could snag at least one nutjob for LaGrave, thus the L2Alpes idea.

 

So Heidi, there needs to be an official decision. (whatever that means) So it can be announced on the site.

Gosh, you might even beat the western gathering people in setting a time. That'd be good, since they might shift their date it for yours.

Also, who is/are the gathermeister/s- or whatever you want to call yourselves? Cheizz started it, but y'all could co lead or whatever, or it could be a different arrangement. (socialism, communism...)

Yes, despite my efforts to sell Meribel (which have failed as I anticipated), I am fine with St. Anton.  I will probably go to Meribel on my own in early January.  I don't know the people here but my read of the various comments all along has been that St. Anton would have the greatest appeal to the greatest number.  

post #298 of 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralVortex View Post

 

I don't think you've seen the seats on European buses. Even narrower than an economy seat on a transatlantic flight.eek.gif It's one more reason I prefer the train: nice big seats.

True but the shared vans are more comfortable than the buses. 

post #299 of 417
Quote:

 

Can anybody elaborate on other villages in Arlberg (Lech, Zurs, Stuben, St. Christoph)? It would be helpful in accommodation search knowing pros/cons of each. 

 

Hint: CV should try skiing in Montenegro. Adventure. Fun. Powder. Cheap. 

If you want to meet up with the group, you should stay in St. Anton proper and not another village. It is easy to ski St. Christoph but not so easy to travel from St. Christoph to St. Anton at night.  St. Anton has plenty of affordable accommodation and the best night life.  Your reference point in selecting lodging should always be distance to St. Anton town center.  You want to be within walking distance of town center and not reliant on buses or taxis.  This can get a little confusing when viewing hotels online. Anywhere in St. Anton itself will be walking distance but Nasserin, St. Jakob, Pettneu, St. Christophe, Stuben, Zurs or Lech will not.

 

Have you done cat skiing in Montenegro?  I'm interested in learning more.


Edited by chraya - 4/13/13 at 1:51am
post #300 of 417

I've sent e-mail out for a couple of different accommodation options. 

 

Waiting for confirmation on availability and prices, then we will confirm St. Anton 8-15 Feb 2014...

 

We will come prepared for options for a 2015 meet up, and sort 2015 during the 2014 meet up.  Most likely Meribel then, based on the collective bucket list.

 

Chiezz and I will be co-gathermeisters.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Getting Together, Gatherings and Let's Go › EpicSki gathering in Europe next winter?