or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Wipe On Wax Opinions?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

On skiing road trips, I'm just not that likely to take the time and effort to hot wax when staying in condos/motels/etc.  Any opinions on the best wipe on wax?  Not really worried about performance, more concerned with treating the bases nicely until they get back home to a nice, quality hot wax.

post #2 of 12

Corking wax will still be better that rub on, most of the rub on waxes (paste) will be for warm temps.  Get some universal wax, rub it on then cork till your arm falls off.  Just not a fan of rub on wax unless it's like April...

post #3 of 12

I have used MAXX WAXX paste wax in temps as low as the mid 20's and what I like about it for travel is that it is non-flammable.  Other pastes are flammable with a petroleum base.  The MAXX WAXX base is jojoba oil; it also has fluoro speed additives for good glide.

 

http://www.racewax.com/product/RA-2310/Maxx-Waxx-Super-Fluoro-Ski-Snowboard-Paste-Wax-60cc-Maxiglide.html

post #4 of 12
I have seen many hot wax their board the night before, and then they get to the mountain.... then they scrape and brush.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanscrazydaisy View Post

I have seen many hot wax their board the night before, and then they get to the mountain.... then they scrape and brush.


You don't even need to scrape, a few runs in there will be no wax on the base...my friend does it all the time when we go on trips.

post #6 of 12

I've only corked kick wax on XC skis, where you want wax on the base surface for the snow to bite into, rather than on alpine skis where you want to get the wax out of the structure for glide. 

 

Does corking alpine glide wax really work on downhill skis?   Does the friction heat really get into the base like hot waxing, or does it just smooth it on the surface of the base, like it does with kick wax? 

 

A small block of wax and a cork would be much easier to pack on a ski vacation than an iron . 

post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKS View Post

I've only corked kick wax on XC skis, where you want wax on the base surface for the snow to bite into, rather than on alpine skis where you want to get the wax out of the structure for glide. 

 

Does corking alpine glide wax really work on downhill skis?   Does the friction heat really get into the base like hot waxing, or does it just smooth it on the surface of the base, like it does with kick wax? 

 

A small block of wax and a cork would be much easier to pack on a ski vacation than an iron . 


Yup, done it many times.  Like you I don't want to bring my iron along, just my edge tuning gear.  The key is using a universal wax, i've also used a hair dryer to warm up the bases.  I've had friends that couldn't even budge on a flat because they stuck so bad to the snow, a good 30 min of corking and they glide great all day.  Of course if it's stupid cold out nothing but the hard wax will work and that can't be corked.

post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRPufnStf View Post

On skiing road trips, I'm just not that likely to take the time and effort to hot wax when staying in condos/motels/etc.  Any opinions on the best wipe on wax?  Not really worried about performance, more concerned with treating the bases nicely until they get back home to a nice, quality hot wax.

HRP - lots of good information here contributed by ones not trying to sell you something. Any wax

is always better than no wax...enjoy.

post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhh View Post


Yup, done it many times.  Like you I don't want to bring my iron along, just my edge tuning gear.  The key is using a universal wax, i've also used a hair dryer to warm up the bases.  I've had friends that couldn't even budge on a flat because they stuck so bad to the snow, a good 30 min of corking and they glide great all day.  Of course if it's stupid cold out nothing but the hard wax will work and that can't be corked.

Sounds like a job for roto-corking with a cordless drill

post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanscrazydaisy View Post

Sounds like a job for roto-corking with a cordless drill

Uh, if that's the choice, I think I'll pack my iron.

post #11 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer View Post

Any wax is always better than no wax...enjoy.

 

Couldn't agree more.  Right now I'm using some liquid xc wax from Rode.  I'm at least sort of convinced that it will penetrate more than a paste.  But there sure isn't any sign of it by lunchtime!

 

The best compromise I've found is rubbing on a soft xc wax, then melting it in with a heat gun (set on the low), then brushing without bothering to scrape.  But still, that's more trouble than I want to go to on vacation!

post #12 of 12
use the wax whizard. much better than corking. lasts all day, takes a few minutes but is still a workout if you have to do several pairs of skis. the idea of corking for 30min sounds about as attractive as waterboarding to me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tuning, Maintenance and Repairs