EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Bindings mounted in slightly different fore/aft positions. Does it matter?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bindings mounted in slightly different fore/aft positions. Does it matter?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

One of my bindings is mounted slightly more forward than the other (only about 5 mm). Side-to-side mounting positions for both bindings look fine.

 

Is this something to worry about, or is it a relatively common problem with little effect on skiing performance? 

 

Considering that 5 mm on a 179 cm ski is less than a 1% difference (it's about 0.27%), I'm having a hard time imagining that this is a big deal. Honestly, I wouldn't have noticed it at all if a tech at a different shop hadn't pointed it out. But, I thought I would ask just in case.

post #2 of 15

Dude...that is a massive deal.

post #3 of 15

Take it back to the shop and get it fixed right away.

 

It WILL AFFECT YOUR SKIING !!!!

 

Turn to turn engagement will be different with each ski

 

I have had a shop blow it like this too.

 

Turn engagement felt funny to me so I took em back

 

They were totally embarrassed that the skis even went out.

 

Fixed it right away

post #4 of 15

Did the tech at the second shop measure from the center mark on the ski or did he\she actually take a tape out and measure? A lot of skis come with slight top sheet misalignment so what looks off is actually right on. Never trust the top sheet. As for the question, Is 5mm off worth a second set of holes in the ski and having to remount both skis? For a top end race ski, sure. For your soft show ski or crud busters, I would not want to take the chance by weakening the ski with more holes for that little gain.  

post #5 of 15

definitely measure from the tail to some same point on the toepiece.

If there's a disparaity of more than 1-2 mm, then this should not be...

that's a shop/nosepicker problem, they should handle/deal with it...

2nd set of holes is not a biggie, but 5 mm is pretty close for a 2nd set... and you didn;t purchase with the idea to have 2 sets of holes...

if you bought skis from shop that did the mount, they need resolve

best is they give you a new pair and they deal with the other pr...

 

measure thrice, drill once...

 

sometimes the 'jig' slips when you're in churn and burn mode - I've had to deal with my own mis-drills many moons ago, when I was picking my nose... always a Greek drama

customer should always leave happy  - nosepicker getz beheaded

 

if the skis are still mostly 'new', the shop can mostly likely get their 'cost' back out of them in a resale...

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 

The tech noticed the difference based on the topsheet, but I later compared them based on the measured position. One is clearly mounted about 5 mm farther forward than the other.

 

I should have taken them to Start Haus, or another reputable shop, but I was in a hurry and chose convenience over quality.  

 

 

I bought the skis from REI, so I guess they can be returned. I just wanted to get some opinions on whether that would be a reasonable decision, given the difference in mounting positions. 

post #7 of 15

REI wants you happy, Basic Company policy

 

Get them to do it right

 

They got a jig for pete's sake how hard can it be !!! cool.gif

post #8 of 15

Are we really talking about half a centimeter on a 179?  Are we talking about the width of a USB cable or the threads of a binding screw, an eight of an inch?  PFFFT!  I'm going to dissent and say it won't make a HUGE difference in your skiing at all, if any.  I'm betting that at least 10% of all skis would turn out to be a little off, at least half that amount, but not a full cm.  I would ski them first then try swapping left and right skis and see if you REALLY can tell the difference.  I'm betting you won't ski any differently either way.  Anyway, then go in and ask for some store credit or some free stuff instead of sending them back for a redo.  5mm or half a cm or .5 or whatever isn't HUGE

 

Should it have happened?  NO.  Should you get reimbursed some since they are a little bit (very little bit) sub par?  Yes!

post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

Are we really talking about half a centimeter on a 179?  Are we talking about the width of a USB cable or the threads of a binding screw, an eight of an inch?  PFFFT!  I'm going to dissent and say it won't make a HUGE difference in your skiing at all, if any.  I'm betting that at least 10% of all skis would turn out to be a little off, at least half that amount, but not a full cm.  I would ski them first then try swapping left and right skis and see if you REALLY can tell the difference.  I'm betting you won't ski any differently either way.  Anyway, then go in and ask for some store credit or some free stuff instead of sending them back for a redo.  5mm or half a cm or .5 or whatever isn't HUGE

 

Should it have happened?  NO.  Should you get reimbursed some since they are a little bit (very little bit) sub par?  Yes!

 

I agree that you probably won't be able to tell.  But, if it was me, After knowing that the mount was off, it would bug me every time I looked at the ski, and I would be thinking about it every time I skied the ski.  I would want it right.

 

For me, I would go to the shop that did the mount and ask for 1) them remounted correctly 2) a refund of the original mount, and possibly some small token of apology in addition.

 

Missing by 5MM probably isn't  huge deal, but one of the reasons I pay to have a "pro" mount stuff is for the mount to be correct.

post #10 of 15

It will make a difference. Whether or not you notice depends entirely on you.

 

This is why adjustable position bindings and T-nuts are awesome!

post #11 of 15

Sounds like you had REI do the mount? If so why not ski them on a firm day and if you can tell the difference return them.  Use the return for any reason policy. With a local shop it's reasonable to ask for a refund of the mount price, free remount, and a shop credit of some reasonable amount, but I wonder if a big outfit like REI would have the same leeway. 

post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronism View Post

 

I agree that you probably won't be able to tell.  But, if it was me, After knowing that the mount was off, it would bug me every time I looked at the ski, and I would be thinking about it every time I skied the ski.  I would want it right.

 

For me, I would go to the shop that did the mount and ask for 1) them remounted correctly 2) a refund of the original mount, and possibly some small token of apology in addition.

 

Missing by 5MM probably isn't  huge deal, but one of the reasons I pay to have a "pro" mount stuff is for the mount to be correct.

I don't think they can be remounted "correctly" without either adding a plate or changing the mounting point completely on both skis.  The ski will definitely feel different at + or - 1.5 which is how far they'd have to move to correct a .5 error without going back in to the same holes again.  We're looking at a plate, remount on a completely different line, or new skis here for the recommended mounting point IMHO. 

 

I agree that knowing would bug me. I'd want compensation too.   But, if everyone here measured every ski from the tail to the toe piece we'd probably find similar ~.5 or a little less discrepancies in at least 10% of the skis owned by everyone.  

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by crgildart View Post

I don't think they can be remounted "correctly" without either adding a plate or changing the mounting point completely on both skis.  The ski will definitely feel different at + or - 1.5 which is how far they'd have to move to correct a .5 error without going back in to the same holes again.  We're looking at a plate, remount on a completely different line, or new skis here for the recommended mounting point IMHO. 

 

I agree that knowing would bug me. I'd want compensation too.   But, if everyone here measured every ski from the tail to the toe piece we'd probably find similar ~.5 or a little less discrepancies in at least 10% of the skis owned by everyone.  

 

I took a closer look this morning with the boots on the skis and found that both bindings are also mounted more than 1 cm behind the mid-sole line. In the case of the furthest back binding, it's more than 1.5 cm behind the line. Side-to-side, they're off slightly, but only 1-2 mm in the worst spot.

 

Given the number of problems I've found, I'm going to return them.

 

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to have the new skis mounted? I live in the San Francisco Bay area, and I ski regularly in north Lake Tahoe. I usually stay in Truckee, so anywhere near there would be convenient.

 

Thanks for all of the opinions and feedback!


Edited by Seddis - 3/5/13 at 11:08am
post #14 of 15

Take em to Starthaus if you are in Truckee

 

Or ...

 

Try Cal Ski company in Berkley

 

Or....

 

Helm Of Sun Valley in San Jose

 

Let em KNOW REI screwed up your last mount

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seddis View Post

 

I took a closer look this morning with the boots on the skis and found that both bindings are also mounted more than 1 cm behind the mid-sole line. In the case of the furthest back binding, it's more than 1.5 cm behind the line. Side-to-side, they're off slightly, but only 1-2 mm in the worst spot.

 

 

That is actually a good thing for whoever ends up with the skis.  No big deal at all to plug the holes and mount them both ON the line knowing that..  Get your money back for the mount along with something extra for having to remount them correctly..

 

 

Or just return them flat out for a full refund.  They should be able to sell them as is or remounted at 40%-50% off

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seddis View Post

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to have the new skis mounted? I live in the San Francisco Bay area, and I ski regularly in north Lake Tahoe. I usually stay in Truckee, so anywhere near there would be convenient.

+1 to StartHaus!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Bindings mounted in slightly different fore/aft positions. Does it matter?