or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › 2013 East Coast Gathering--Northern Vermont
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2013 East Coast Gathering--Northern Vermont - Page 2

post #31 of 59
Nice pics, Jim. Next year, maybe.
post #32 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiking4 View Post

worthless.gif

 

Most of the photos are getting posted here:  http://www.epicski.com/t/118891/2013-east-coast-gathering-northern-vermont.  Probably should merge the threads.

post #33 of 59

Sorry Kevin.  I was so tired when I started this thread I didn't spot yours that came first.  Do hope they merge them.  Great job pulling this event together.  They VT/New England folks that showed us tourists around sure made it fun.

post #34 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post

Sorry Kevin.  I was so tired when I started this thread I didn't spot yours that came first.  Do hope they merge them.  Great job pulling this event together.  They VT/New England folks that showed us tourists around sure made it fun.

Merged. 

 

I gotta say, I'm enjoying the stoke from the East Coast Gathering!

post #35 of 59
Thread Starter 

Jim, thanks for posting all the pics!

 

Everyone, thanks for coming out to the gathering!  I had an awesome four days skiing with everyone.

post #36 of 59

Robin and I had a great time and are less sore than we thought we would be after 4 days of chasing some seriously good skiers up, down, around and over some of the most challenging terrain in Vermont.  I did not take any pics before day 3 at MRG.

 

 

Paradise, a wee bit steepish and narrow.  Kevin and James contemplate the mandatory ice fall leap.  I think we were 3 for 8.

 

 

 

 

 

A snowy Paradise for James.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Marcus... I'm a lonely boy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kevin, smooth as usual

 

 

 

 

James finds a pile of soft snow 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Matt scopes a nice line.

 

.

 

 

 

Epic points out some of Mt. Mansfield's famed off piste.  This shot from Stowe's

Fourunner quad looking towards the gondola.  The Gondi tops out somewhere below the summit behind his glove.

 

 

 

 

VInce in a rare moment of motionless contemplation before ripping the days last run.

 

 

 

 

Summit of the gondola with the summit of Mansfield looming above.

 

 

 

 

I will post more pics and some video later.

post #37 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post

Love the East Coast Gathering Stoke!!

 

The first question that comes to mind is: 

How on earth did Lily and Matt handle the Single Chair?  Those two lovebirds are inseparable!! 

 

Keep it coming!

 

Ha!  We made it somehow...

 

I've got a bunch of pictures on both the compact and SLR, but wasn't able to upload them from the B&B (too slow) and we crashed at a friend's house in NH last night.  And now I'm trying to figure out how to get myself to NJ by Friday without driving through the middle of a gigantic blizzard.  Will get them up at some point...

post #38 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Originally Posted by crank View Post

 

Paradise, a wee bit steepish and narrow.  Kevin and James contemplate the mandatory ice fall leap.  I think we were 3 for 8.

 

 


 

 

For 7 of the 8 Paradise jumpers, the question was whether or not they were going to land it.

 

For me, the question was whether or not the sun would set before I summoned up the courage to push over it!

 

For the record, I was a member of the "crash and burn" group.

 

Also for the record -- I'll do it again.  icon14.gif

post #39 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:

Kevin, smooth as usual

 

 

If I had a dollar for every time somebody described my skiing as "smooth", I wouldn't ever have to work again.  icon14.gif  Accepting donations now!  biggrin.gif  Maybe I should change my handle to "smoooooooottttthhhhhh".  (Note to mods:  only joking!).

 

For all the possible adjectives used to describe somebody's skiing though -- "smooth" strikes me as being a pretty good one.

post #40 of 59

Great report and grade A pics everyoneicon14.gif  Thanks for sharing and upping the stoke!!!

 

I would have been somewhat like Kevin and secretly hoping someone pushed me over the icefall because they were tired of waiting for me.

post #41 of 59
Thread Starter 

Josh (i.e., BWPA).

 

Mike (Freeski):

post #42 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgiddyup View Post

Great report and grade A pics everyoneicon14.gif  Thanks for sharing and upping the stoke!!!

 

I would have been somewhat like Kevin and secretly hoping someone pushed me over the icefall because they were tired of waiting for me.

 

Marcus did at one point yell up to Jim to "oh, just goose Kevin and get him over!".  eek.gif

post #43 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post

Josh (i.e., BWPA).

 

Mike (Freeski):


Oooh!  Where's that?

post #44 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometjo View Post


Oooh!  Where's that?

 

It's off the gondola at Stowe...  turn right down the traverse and duck into the woods.  Shortcuts the big wrap-around turn.

 

Josh showed us where it was last year.

post #45 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post

 

It's off the gondola at Stowe...  turn right down the traverse and duck into the woods.  Shortcuts the big wrap-around turn.

 

Josh showed us where it was last year.

 

I wondered if it might be the same thing, but it looks really different with all that snow!

post #46 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometjo View Post

 

I wondered if it might be the same thing, but it looks really different with all that snow!

It didn't ski nearly as well as last year. The falls had frozen out so the angle was much flatter... I didn't really manage to catch air at all. If you listen, you can hear my skis scraping the ice as I go over the fall... oh well, in two weeks it'll be different.

post #47 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post

For me, the question was whether or not the sun would set before I summoned up the courage to push over it!

This scene needs to be more completely documented, because it was quite entertaining. After joining the "crash and burn" group myself - see below - next to hit the waterfall was KevinF. With at least 5 of us below him, no less than 3 with cameras focused on him, he contemplated his route. Helped by Marcus (on one good knee) spouting "encouragement" there were apparently too many good routes to take. At one point, freeski919 takes off one of his skis and starts hiking back up. To offer assistance? Yes, if demonstrating another descent of the waterfall counts. Around the same time a father and son (10 y/o ish?) approached. A short while earlier we had announced to these same people we were tourists looking for the entrance to Paradise and Dad had confirmed the route for us. Presumably after a lap down Fall Line to at least mid station on the single, they had caught up to us again. The kid would come through first, only barely slowing down and not seeming to notice us before taking the waterfall head on. He double ejected on the landing and twice announced to us watching that he was alive, which was all that really mattered (paraphrasing), before getting himself back together and skiing right past us. Dad would then follow - clearly now regretting his directions - stood there for a minute and asked himself what was going on with the crowd - before taking his skinny straight skis (210+) quickly over the fall and skiing past us like we weren't even there. Thanks KevinF for hanging out up there for awhile. We might have missed all this otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post

For the record, I was a member of the "crash and burn" group.

As was I.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post

Also for the record -- I'll do it again.  icon14.gif

As will I.
post #48 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinF View Post

 

For 7 of the 8 Paradise jumpers, the question was whether or not they were going to land it.

 

For me, the question was whether or not the sun would set before I summoned up the courage to push over it!

 

For the record, I was a member of the "crash and burn" group.

 

Also for the record -- I'll do it again.  icon14.gif

That looks more like I remember it.  The last time I was there it was so filled in that I got to the bottom and said to myself, "hey wait, where was the waterfall?"  Or maybe I made a wrong turn and really did miss it.

 

But the first time I saw that thing, back before Paradise was on the map, I had never seen anything like it and it was prety terrifying.  And so many people had crashed that the landing zone was a hole.  I crashed too, but not too badly.

 

I'm sorry I missed the gathering, but knee surgery will do that to you.  Hopefully I'll be there next year.

post #49 of 59

Nice TR, guys.  Looks like a fun time was had by all and the vicarious runs were a blast too =)

 

Kudos to the organizers, photogs, posters and participantsicon14.gif

 

 

 

Perhaps I'm the only one, but I sure wish Josh still posted here.

post #50 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdf View Post

That looks more like I remember it.  The last time I was there it was so filled in that I got to the bottom and said to myself, "hey wait, where was the waterfall?"  Or maybe I made a wrong turn and really did miss it.

 

But the first time I saw that thing, back before Paradise was on the map, I had never seen anything like it and it was prety terrifying.  And so many people had crashed that the landing zone was a hole.  I crashed too, but not too badly.

 

I'm sorry I missed the gathering, but knee surgery will do that to you.  Hopefully I'll be there next year.

The first time I survived Paradise the ice fall wasn't nearly as gnarly. I made my way over it and skied down to my buddies (Jamesj and Vince) and asked them where that waterfall was. They pointed up the hill and said you just skied over it. 

 

Great TR, thanks to KevinF for organizing the event. Perhaps I'll make it next year. Just keep it going, these events tend to grow and there always seems to be a great group of old and new friends to share the fun. 

post #51 of 59
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel Hill Crazie View Post

The first time I survived Paradise the ice fall wasn't nearly as gnarly. I made my way over it and skied down to my buddies (Jamesj and Vince) and asked them where that waterfall was. They pointed up the hill and said you just skied over it. 

 

On the MRG day at last year's gathering, Josh took us to Paradise.  I don't remember crossing the icefall at all from the first year, and that year was the disaster of a snow year.  i.e., most runs at MRG were these ridiculous little ribbons of snow and Paradise was much more rocky then it was this year.  Once we got past the icefall this year, it really wasn't that bad -- steep and narrow to be sure, but it had good snow.

 

Quote:
Great TR, thanks to KevinF for organizing the event. Perhaps I'll make it next year. Just keep it going, these events tend to grow and there always seems to be a great group of old and new friends to share the fun.

 

This was our second Northern Vermont Gathering.  There was some talk after about moving it to different New England locations --we discussed moving to Sugarloaf / Saddleback for next year.  I'll start a poll at some point to see if there's an interest level in making it a New England Gathering or keeping it a Northern Vermont Gathering.  Different discussion for a different thread.

 

I hope the gathering continues to grow though; we had more people then the first year.  This year we were falling just short of the numbers needed to get some group discounts on lift tix, lodging, etc.  Make it a bit cheaper, get some more people, etc.

post #52 of 59

More photos:

 

Mine are in a private set on Flickr, so you have to follow this link to see them:

 

http://flickr.com/gp/matthias99/033484/
 

Full size versions are available for download through Flickr.  Anybody on Epic is free to use these for any personal, noncommercial purposes.  (And if anybody wants a photo of themselves removed, just let me know.)

 

Will try to update this post to embed a few of the nicer ones directly, if it'll let me...

 

Our fearless leader:

 

 

A pack of bears (L to R, Mariah, songfta, at_nyc, Hoss, KevinF, Slow Eddie):

 

 

 

Rudi (songfta):

 

 

Andrew (Hoss?)

 

 

Scott (Ski-3PO) in his shiny new duds:

 

 

Crank, uh, cranking:

 

 

The future Mrs. Matthias99 loading the single chair and not falling off:

 

 

Josh (BWPA) on aforementioned frozen waterfall:

 

 

Mike (freeski) giving a carving clinic with the group watching:

 

 

Josh (BWPA) digging trenches (Crank in BG with his camera):

 

 

KevinF cranking it a little too close to me for the tele lens:

 

 

Enjoying the afternoon sunshine at Stowe:

 

 

KevinF showing how to bend Blizzards:

 

 

 

And some more of that Stowe sunshine through the trees:

 


Edited by Matthias99 - 3/7/13 at 1:43pm
post #53 of 59
Really nice pics Matt
post #54 of 59

Great pix, Matt - I also pipped you for a Flickr link-up, FYI....

 

Really enjoyed skiing with you on Saturday - hope to do more of that next season!

post #55 of 59

Nice pics Matt!  I think you proved there is more to Kevin than smooth!smile.gif  Great skiing with all you guys and I know Marcus and Vince had a real good time too.  Vince likes to have his game "upped" by hanging with a fast crowd on good terrain.  We went back to MRG on Wed and Thurs and had more good skiing and the place all to ourselves.  Tireless BWPA and friend joined us on Thurs.

post #56 of 59

Looks like a successful gathering.  Wish I could have been there but less fun stuff kept me away this time.  Really good to see BWPA hooked up with the group too.  Some very good looking skiing by all, and thanks for sharing all the photos.

post #57 of 59

It's more than a week late, but I would be remiss if I didn't send a big THANK YOU out to Josh (left), Mike (2nd left) and Eric (right):

These guys took a lot of their time to show a gang of us around their home mountain of Stowe, VT on Mar 5, 2013.  In some cases, they spent their entire day off with us and asked for nothing in return.  Time can be money to these guys, especially on a ski slope as all three are instructors at Stowe.  If anyone sees this and ever needs instructor referrals at Stowe, just ask here for their contact info.  They are a very fun, highly knowledgeable, and extremely skilled group of instructors.icon14.gif     Sorry if I failed to mention any other instructors that gave their time to be with us.

(Disregard turkey in greentongue.gif)

post #58 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesj View Post

It's more than a week late, but I would be remiss if I didn't send a big THANK YOU out to Josh (left), Mike (2nd left) and Eric (right):

These guys took a lot of their time to show a gang of us around their home mountain of Stowe, VT on Mar 5, 2013.  In some cases, they spent their entire day off with us and asked for nothing in return.  Time can be money to these guys, especially on a ski slope as all three are instructors at Stowe.  If anyone sees this and ever needs instructor referrals at Stowe, just ask here for their contact info.  They are a very fun, highly knowledgeable, and extremely skilled group of instructors.icon14.gif     Sorry if I failed to mention any other instructors that gave their time to be with us.

(Disregard turkey in greentongue.gif)

It was certainly my pleasure, I had a blast. As far as my video, I've been swamped at work, so I'm hoping to get to some editing done this weekend, stay tuned!

 

Oh, and the binding I blew out that day was a total loss... but already replaced and ready to rip again!

post #59 of 59

You skied the Bruce! Awesome. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Trip Reports
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › EpicSki Community › Trip Reports  › 2013 East Coast Gathering--Northern Vermont