or Connect
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need a Jackson Hole daily driver, here are my stats.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need a Jackson Hole daily driver, here are my stats.

post #1 of 114
Thread Starter 

There are so many 98-102mm skis that I hear are Phenomenal, so I am pretty confused on which one would be ideal for Jackson Hole. I am moving out there next season and need to start looking for a daily ski. I have a 106mm Crud Buster/StraightLiner (Moment Belafonte 192) but i am looking for something a good bit more playful, and a bit more forgiving for tight stuff. 

 

I have a pair of Line Blends (101mm) with only 40 days on them, but they're basically park skis, and way too "buttery" for my taste. I am really looking for something with a good mix of business and play.

 

I am coming up on 22 years of age. 6'3" 185. Expert Skier. I like moguls, trees, chutes, deep bowls, small cliffs less than 10 feet and I love to be in the air. I dont like my skis too soft or to planky. I like stiff skis, just not too stiff, as my daily driver.

 

Skis I have been looking at are Line Prophet 98, Moment PB&J, and of course the Blizzard Bonafide. 

post #2 of 114

Do yourself a favor and demo a pair of Stockli Stormrider 95s....think you will be amazed.
 

post #3 of 114

This years daily driver for me has been the Rossi E88.  I really love this ski and rarely have used anything else this season.

post #4 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetonpwdrjunkie View Post

This years daily driver for me has been the Rossi E88.  I really love this ski and rarely have used anything else this season.

I am looking for something a little bit bigger. And the E98 is a little too much like my belafonte. I really like the ski but I am looking for a twin tip.
post #5 of 114

Nordica Soul Rider... maybe too soft for you, but worth a demo.

post #6 of 114

Try the Atomic Ritual, 103mm, camber, rocker at both ends.  I demoed it at Big Sky in a mix of conditions that ranged from hardpack to about 6-8" of powder in the trees.  I was impressed enough that I'm buying a pair for next season and it will be my ski for anything over 4-6" of fresh snow and also for trees.  I demoed the Soul Rider either 1 or 2 days before and it was also fun, but it just didn't grab me the way the Ritual did.

post #7 of 114

Good idea as well! The Ritual is a solid, powerful ski. Tough finding the balance between 'playful' and metal. I was also thinking the Hell and Back as well, but there's the tail thing for the OP.

post #8 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSafe View Post

There are so many 98-102mm skis that I hear are Phenomenal, so I am pretty confused on which one would be ideal for Jackson Hole. I am moving out there next season and need to start looking for a daily ski. I have a 106mm Crud Buster/StraightLiner (Moment Belafonte 192) but i am looking for something a good bit more playful, and a bit more forgiving for tight stuff. 

 

I have a pair of Line Blends (101mm) with only 40 days on them, but they're basically park skis, and way too "buttery" for my taste. I am really looking for something with a good mix of business and play.

 

I am coming up on 22 years of age. 6'3" 185. Expert Skier. I like moguls, trees, chutes, deep bowls, small cliffs less than 10 feet and I love to be in the air. I dont like my skis too soft or to planky. I like stiff skis, just not too stiff, as my daily driver.

 

Skis I have been looking at are Line Prophet 98, Moment PB&J, and of course the Blizzard Bonafide. 


If I were going to Jackson Hole, it would not be on a pair of skis developed in the last very few years. I'd want solid dependability, because, and think Samuel Jackson's voice here: ".....It's your ass." 

 

(E-98's, Cham 97's, Shogun's, Kaestle's, Automatics, like that)

 

If you can detect any similarity beside dimensions between the Moment and the Rossi, you're on a different planet than I, (and I have skied versions of both).

post #9 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post


If I were going to Jackson Hole, it would not be on a pair of skis developed in the last very few years. I'd want solid dependability, because, and think Samuel Jackson's voice here: ".....It's your ass." 

(E-98's, Cham 97's, Shogun's, Kaestle's, Automatics, like that)

If you can detect any similarity beside dimensions between the Moment and the Rossi, you're on a different planet than I, (and I have skied versions of both).

What? the e98 and the belafonte are both super solid directional chargers...the e98 is not a great ski for going backwards. Thats all i meant.
post #10 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcyclist View Post

Try the Atomic Ritual, 103mm, camber, rocker at both ends.  I demoed it at Big Sky in a mix of conditions that ranged from hardpack to about 6-8" of powder in the trees.  I was impressed enough that I'm buying a pair for next season and it will be my ski for anything over 4-6" of fresh snow and also for trees.  I demoed the Soul Rider either 1 or 2 days before and it was also fun, but it just didn't grab me the way the Ritual did.

Ya i have been looking at the ritual and theory. I cant demo anything due to a torn meniscus. so i have to purchase on a count of dimensions, flex profile, and shape, and just hope for the best.
post #11 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSafe View Post


Ya i have been looking at the ritual and theory. I cant demo anything due to a torn meniscus. so i have to purchase on a count of dimensions, flex profile, and shape, and just hope for the best.

 

Find and talk to friends that share similar tastes in skis. 

post #12 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post


If I were going to Jackson Hole, it would not be on a pair of skis developed in the last very few years. I'd want solid dependability, because, and think Samuel Jackson's voice here: ".....It's your ass." 

 

(E-98's, Cham 97's, Shogun's, Kaestle's, Automatics, like that)

 

 

th_dunno-1[1].gif

post #13 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post


If I were going to Jackson Hole, it would not be on a pair of skis developed in the last very few years. I'd want solid dependability, because, and think Samuel Jackson's voice here: ".....It's your ass." 

 

(E-98's, Cham 97's, Shogun's, Kaestle's, Automatics, like that)

 

If you can detect any similarity beside dimensions between the Moment and the Rossi, you're on a different planet than I, (and I have skied versions of both).

 

 Why would one not want something recent like an E-98 or FX94 for a JH daily driver?  hmmm.. is there a typo here DL?

post #14 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post


If I were going to Jackson Hole, it would not be on a pair of skis developed in the last very few years. I'd want solid dependability, because, and think Samuel Jackson's voice here: ".....It's your ass." 

 

(E-98's, Cham 97's, Shogun's, Kaestle's, Automatics, like that)

 

If you can detect any similarity beside dimensions between the Moment and the Rossi, you're on a different planet than I, (and I have skied versions of both).

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by markojp View Post

 

 Why would one not want something recent like an E-98 or FX94 for a JH daily driver?  hmmm.. is there a typo here DL?


Let me elucidate. I don't want a ski who's engineers and designers are developing their first effort 6 years ago. I want a designer who has been creating skis for 30 years. Example of skis that are from companies with a long history of successful skis: E-98, Cham 97, Kaestle, Automatics, like that.

 

It's my attempt to gently dis companies like Moment.

post #15 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

 


Let me elucidate. I don't want a ski who's engineers and designers are developing their first effort 6 years ago. I want a designer who has been creating skis for 30 years. Example of skis that are from companies with a long history of successful skis: E-98, Cham 97, Kaestle, Automatics, like that.

 

It's my attempt to gently dis companies like Moment.

When skiing Big Mountain Resort Powder, Moments come out on top when it comes to performance. Even for tearing groomers up, and gettin yelled at Colorado Groomer World, Moments come out on top. The E98 and a Cham 107 are the only things that can even come close to a belafonte on a groomer. The 192 Bela DOES NOT have a speed limit. Its a full blown comp ski, toned down one notch. 

 

Thanks for you mindset though, if i didnt hear that hulabaloo i wouldnt have reiterated to myself how much I love moments for the terrain i ski...I answered my own question with  a lil help from davluri...

 

Moment PB&J it is! Just gotta get used to that center mount :(

post #16 of 114

You might like this article from last year by Blister.  They specifically discuss if you could only have one ski at Jackson (and some other resorts) what would it be?

 

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/one-ski-quiver-reviewers-choices

 

(it's worth noting that link contains a lot of praise for Moment in general)

post #17 of 114

If a skier enjoys handicapping himself with an inferior model ski, I'm all for it. Help, (or hinder), yourself. Just don't drop in above me on an icy wall on those POS's.

 

I'm saying that at JH your "powder ski" will have to be excellent in many conditions, some quite nasty, (and not including groomers), or it's ".....your ass"

 

Skiing Moment's at a demo event I was reminded of an experience renting a pontiac firebird a few years ago. I was driving a 11 year old BMW 5 series at the time, and had to rent this for business. The new firebird could not compare in any performance aspect to my 11 year old car. Those brand new Moments were awful compared to my 3 year old Legend Pros at the time.  I couldn't get them off fast enough and back on my own skis.

post #18 of 114

It's worth noting that Moments tend to be pretty stiff and some lighter weight skiers probably aren't going to like them as much or have anything close to the same experience as someone who weighs 50 pounds more than them.  Which is why making blanket statements about skis and brands in general tends to be foolish.

 

For the record, I don't own a single Moment ski, so I'm in no way biased.

post #19 of 114

Of course YMMV, but if a ski is jittery (chatters and vibrates) or has a poorly tuned flex (stiff plank), that is what it is. And those flaws are terminal.

 

Bring those to JH and you'll be all over the place while your friends on Rossi's, Kaestle's, Volkl's, and Dynastar's will be ripping with confidence.

post #20 of 114

If you are concerned about the center mount on the PB&J have you given any thought to the Moment Tahoe?

 

I have been on my 2010 Tahoes (no rocker) for a couple seasons now. Its my go to / daily driver, nothing but good things to say about it.... save for the fact that I think it could be a twinge stiffer, but that's just personal pref.

 

I have also ridden the PB&J 188 and the Belefonte in a 192. I would say that the Tahoe sits right in between the Bele and the PB&J in terms of Charge'y vrs Playful.

post #21 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT View Post

You might like this article from last year by Blister.  They specifically discuss if you could only have one ski at Jackson (and some other resorts) what would it be?

 

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/one-ski-quiver-reviewers-choices

 

(it's worth noting that link contains a lot of praise for Moment in general)

 

JayT, I normally agree with most of what you post, but are you really serious about this???

 

The guy writes a blog that supposedly recommends THE best single ski for a bunch of different resorts - and under Jackson Hole, he recommends a ski he's never actually skied????

 

And he recommends it because it "just feels like the right call"?!?!?

 

And various MOMENT models are either his first or second choice as the single best ski for four different (VERY different) resorts across three different continents?  

 

Out of 1600 different ski models offered in North America by all the different manufacturers?

 

Please.

 

I wonder if he's also an expert on lithium battery technology.  Boeing could use some recommendations.

post #22 of 114

^^ I just threw it out there trying to be helpful.  A few different opinions, which are about the same as random forum advice.  I haven't skied there myself yet (but will a few weeks from now) so I didn't give a personal opinion, although there seems to be a lot of Squaw / Jackson similarities in ski preference.

 

Anyway, since JHMR is your resort and you're much more qualified to chime in, what's your answer?  (totally loaded question to begin with based on the skier's preferences, I know)

post #23 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Peters View Post

 

JayT, I normally agree with most of what you post, but are you really serious about this???

 

The guy writes a blog that supposedly recommends THE best single ski for a bunch of different resorts - and under Jackson Hole, he recommends a ski he's never actually skied????

 

And he recommends it because it "just feels like the right call"?!?!?

 

And various MOMENT models are either his first or second choice as the single best ski for four different (VERY different) resorts across three different continents?  

 

Out of 1600 different ski models offered in North America by all the different manufacturers?

 

Please.

 

I wonder if he's also an expert on lithium battery technology.  Boeing could use some recommendations.

 

I agree with you Bob.  The way I read it was that he had skied the Cochise in the next size down and thought that stepping up one size "felt right" for Jackson.  So technically he hadn't skied the ski he recommended in the length he specified but had skied it shorter.  Maybe not as quite a "ski he actually never skied" even if it wasrolleyes.gif.  Personally I would recommend a ski and leave it to an individual to figure out the length they needed.

post #24 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post


If I were going to Jackson Hole, it would not be on a pair of skis developed in the last very few years. I'd want solid dependability, because, and think Samuel Jackson's voice here: ".....It's your ass." 

 

(E-98's, Cham 97's, Shogun's, Kaestle's, Automatics, like that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

 


Let me elucidate. I don't want a ski who's engineers and designers are developing their first effort 6 years ago. I want a designer who has been creating skis for 30 years. Example of skis that are from companies with a long history of successful skis: E-98, Cham 97, Kaestle, Automatics, like that.

 

It's my attempt to gently dis companies like Moment.

 

I actually might agree with what you first wrote, but very much disagree with what you meant.

 

My current quiver consist of a pair of Fischers, Heads, and ON3ps (and an Elan, but its set up for touring so I haven't skied them hard).  Two are long-time manufacturers, one is an upstart Indie. I can't detect much difference in quality or how how "dialed" they are. If I had to choose one, I'd say the Fischer probably is the absolutely most dialed, but I think that may be due to it being a very traditional ski - 70mm underfoot stiff carver - so they've been refining that exact design for a while. Just a few weeks ago I was skiing the ON3P and enjoying the flex profile so much that I was wishing that it was narrower so I could bring it out more days when I now ski the Heads in junk snow - and I really like the Heads. The construction quality on the ON3Ps is at least the equal of the major brand skis, and they are both well-made skis.  I haven't skied Moments (though I know a few people with a wide variety of skis who have a Moment model that they like), but generalizing based on company age seems untenable to me.

 

Where I would agree with you is that if a ski has just been developed - regardless of company - I'd want to wait a bit to see how it is. First model year, totally new skis often aren't as dialed as they subsequently become. My 2nd gen ON3P Billy Goats are more manageable than the first year versions were on hard snow (though that's not their purpose). I certainly wouldn't pre-order a radical new shape from anyone without reading a lot/demoing a good deal.  

post #25 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post

 

I actually might agree with what you first wrote, but very much disagree with what you meant.

 

My current quiver consist of a pair of Fischers, Heads, and ON3ps (and an Elan, but its set up for touring so I haven't skied them hard).  Two are long-time manufacturers, one is an upstart Indie. I can't detect much difference in quality or how how "dialed" they are. If I had to choose one, I'd say the Fischer probably is the absolutely most dialed, but I think that may be due to it being a very traditional ski - 70mm underfoot stiff carver - so they've been refining that exact design for a while. Just a few weeks ago I was skiing the ON3P and enjoying the flex profile so much that I was wishing that it was narrower so I could bring it out more days when I now ski the Heads in junk snow - and I really like the Heads. The construction quality on the ON3Ps is at least the equal of the major brand skis, and they are both well-made skis.  I haven't skied Moments (though I know a few people with a wide variety of skis who have a Moment model that they like), but generalizing based on company age seems untenable to me.

 

Where I would agree with you is that if a ski has just been developed - regardless of company - I'd want to wait a bit to see how it is. First model year, totally new skis often aren't as dialed as they subsequently become. My 2nd gen ON3P Billy Goats are more manageable than the first year versions were on hard snow (though that's not their purpose). I certainly wouldn't pre-order a radical new shape from anyone without reading a lot/demoing a good deal.  

You don't mention where you ski the ON3P's?  My point is that a ski for Jackson Hole has to be good for difficult terrain. I'm not talking about skis for Northstar .

 

The sophisticated Fischer construction is surely top rate. Can you tell me the construction details of the ON3P?

post #26 of 114

What do you want to know? Tech specs? They're vertically laminated bamboo cored with carbon stringers. I admit not being knowledgeable about the different laminating processes there. UHMW sidewalls. Thick Durasurf 4001 bases.

 

They are a fairly stiff ski for the shape, but what has impressed me about the construction is 1. The durability, which aside from some topsheet chipping along the edges appears to be excellent.  2. The retention of "pop" after several years of use (one as a demo ski) 3. The apparent high manufacturing tolerance (no gaps anywhere, even if it doesn't matter). I haven't had multiple pairs from the company though, so I can't say if this is general and I assume they wouldn't use a bad pair as a demo, so I don't want to say too much here but I've heard others make similar comments.

 

Based on my limited sample, I'd be equally willing to place full trust in any of my three skis in difficult conditions. It just depends what condition it would be for what they're good for.

post #27 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by davluri View Post

You don't mention where you ski the ON3P's?  My point is that a ski for Jackson Hole has to be good for difficult terrain. I'm not talking about skis for Northstar .

The sophisticated Fischer construction is surely top rate. Can you tell me the construction details of the ON3P?

Hahha....DavLuri, have you skied Moments? Their flex pattern is amazing. If your a hardcore skier and atleast 180lbs, it is an almost perfect flex. Their bases are and sidewalls are super durable and their edges are normal. You think KC Deane and Josh Bibby, two of the top Big Mtn freeskiers in the USA, dont need a dependable ski? The Moment Bibby/Governor is hands down one of the best skis out there, in every aspect. Big Name Magazines/ski reviewers have to give it some award, even though theyre not too fond of boutique brands either... And blister gear loves moment, although idk at what cost$ if you know what i mean.
post #28 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by howaminotme View Post

If you are concerned about the center mount on the PB&J have you given any thought to the Moment Tahoe?

I have been on my 2010 Tahoes (no rocker) for a couple seasons now. Its my go to / daily driver, nothing but good things to say about it.... save for the fact that I think it could be a twinge stiffer, but that's just personal pref.

I have also ridden the PB&J 188 and the Belefonte in a 192. I would say that the Tahoe sits right in between the Bele and the PB&J in terms of Charge'y vrs Playful.

I have my friend, i definately have. The tahoe is another one of my contenders.
post #29 of 114

I always recommend the 4frnt Turbo as an all-mountain ripper, but they're pretty similar to your Moments, so I won't.

 

It sounds like you've already got your daily driver, you just need to suck it up a bit and ski them.  Get a big pow ski instead.  Like a Renegade or Caylor.  Or a 193 EHP. 

post #30 of 114
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caucasian Asian View Post

I always recommend the 4frnt Turbo as an all-mountain ripper, but they're pretty similar to your Moments, so I won't.

It sounds like you've already got your daily driver, you just need to suck it up a bit and ski them.  Get a big pow ski instead.  Like a Renegade or Caylor.  Or a 193 EHP. 

Ya about that... I already own K2 Obsethed, Nordica Patron, Moment Governor, and Surface New Life...Im set for fat skis for atleast another season.

Trust me the bela will be put to use, but at 192cm its very gnarly. If I was Straightling rendezvous bowl to hobacks all day, maybe, but i need something comfortable in tighter trees and rocks, and still handle much steeper than rendezvous. Im trying to step up my tech game next season. Im talking a 100mm +/- ski to pivot my way down "Big" Couloir at Big Sky.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Ski Gear Discussion
EpicSki › The Barking Bear Forums › On the Snow (Skiing Forums) › Ski Gear Discussion › Need a Jackson Hole daily driver, here are my stats.